38 spl seater die, where to find one?

PDA

trickyasafox
February 26, 2006, 10:13 PM
i searched midway and couldnt find a seater die, only roll crimp and factory crimp dies. i really want to find a lee one. i posted in the accessories forum, so if you have one for sale pm me. If you can find the actual link, that too would be very appreciated. thanks again.

mike :)

If you enjoyed reading about "38 spl seater die, where to find one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lee n. field
February 26, 2006, 11:00 PM
Have you tried Lee directly?

Failing that, a whole Lee dieset doesn't cost that much.

ReloaderFred
February 26, 2006, 11:08 PM
If you want to seat the bullet without crimping, simply back the die out about one turn and adjust the seating stem accordingly. You can either use another crimping die to form the crimp or readjust the seating die and stem for crimping in the next stage.

I must have half a dozen old .38 seating dies in my shop, if you need another one. Most are RCBS dies.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Kamicosmos
February 27, 2006, 12:30 AM
Well, there's the Speed Die. One die that does all operations somehow for 15 bucks. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=120485

Why do you need just another seating die? Break or loose your existing one? Or do you want a second die for something? Outside of finding a used one online or at a gunshow, a new set is like 20 bucks from midway...

trickyasafox
February 27, 2006, 12:49 AM
i bought a used set of what i thought were 38/357 dies, however the seating/crimp die is a 357 which sucks. for those unsure why, a 38 spl die can be backed out to seat and crimp a 357, but a 357 cannot be turned down short enough to crimp on a 38 case :(

not a big deal, it was a great price, and i know the seller didn't do it maliciously, just an honest mistake

Kamicosmos
February 27, 2006, 12:53 AM
Use a washer to get more space in order to seat the .38s.

The dies should have come with one, actually. You put the 'washer' between the die and press for Special cartridges. I'll try to remember to measure the one in my RCBS 38/357 die set when I get home and post its thickness for you.

edited to add:
Nevermind, here is a link for a set of Redding spacers at midway:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=189290

(a 38 Special/357 Magnum spacer (.135) )

Jim Watson
February 27, 2006, 01:14 AM
Uh, gee Kami, putting a spacer under a dedicated Magnum die is not going to make it reach a Special case with the crimp. It works the other way 'round.

I got stuck the same way with a .44 Magnum set. I had a friend with a lathe cut a bit off the bottom of the seater to crimp Specials. Then cut some more off later when I got a .44 Russian.

Kamicosmos
February 27, 2006, 05:37 AM
Ah, Jim. Yes, you are correct. The spacer ring would be used to produce rounds with Magnum cases.

Otherwise, I guess I don't understand the problem then. I've never had any problems seating and crimping Special cases using Magnum dies. Take out the spacer and now you're in Special-Production Mode.

Am I missing something? Are we loading .38 S&W or something here?

Sheldon
February 27, 2006, 06:14 AM
He must have a set of dies dedicated to the .357 Magnun and NOT a 38/357 combo set which will work for either. The sets of dies sold usually include the sizer and a seater die, so I'm guessing most of the manufacturers usually don't bother to sell the seater dies separately. You might try contacting Lee directly, but you'de probably be better off just buying another set either used or new. Lee will most likely charge you full retail for the die and that's probably more than what a used set would go for.

lee n. field
February 27, 2006, 09:44 AM
i bought a used set of what i thought were 38/357 dies, however the seating/crimp die is a 357 which sucks. for those unsure why, a 38 spl die can be backed out to seat and crimp a 357, but a 357 cannot be turned down short enough to crimp on a 38 case

I had the same situation back when I started (picked up a .357 die set off Ebay, not realizing I couldn't crimp the shorter .38 case).

If crimping as a seperate step doesn't bother you, a Lee Factory Crimp die will let you do what you need to do.

donkee
February 27, 2006, 10:01 AM
Fleabay is a good place to start or as someone else mentioned, contact LEE directly.

caz223
February 27, 2006, 10:17 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/RCBS-38-spl-seat-die_W0QQitemZ7176110735QQcategoryZ31825QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ebay has so many seater plugs for this die it will make your head spin.

Ol` Joe
February 27, 2006, 11:25 AM
www.midwayusa.com

part # 156-222, RCBS 38 spcl seater die with roll crimp $17.49

part # 423-797 Redding 38 spcl seater only $19.49

You`ll have to call about Lee dies I quit.....

trickyasafox
February 27, 2006, 11:39 AM
hey i just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied i really appreciate it! a generous HR'er has offered to sell me one of his older ones and i am very greatful!

thanks again all!:)

If you enjoyed reading about "38 spl seater die, where to find one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!