Ammo

PDA

beaucoup ammo
February 27, 2006, 12:40 PM
I'm not as adept as Kramer or others when it comes to self loading ammo, so I buy mine.

I just read an article that sang the praises of "Speer Gold Dot" 147 Gr. 9mm hollow points. As I plan on stocking up on 9mm rounds for my KAHR P9, I was wondering if anyone has a word or two regarding these.

Many Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
caz223
February 27, 2006, 12:52 PM
Price 'em lately?
This could get ugly real fast.
Once you figure out that you could load your own for $7.50 a box of 50, you'll never spend $15 a box OF 20 on premium ammo again.

Firehand
February 27, 2006, 01:18 PM
Gold Dots are very good stuff. U.S. Marshall's office, among many other LE agencies, use it as their issue ammo.

They're not cheap, so I don't use them for normal practice, I do use them as carry ammo. Shoot enough to make sure your pistol likes them, then just some of the GD's occasionally to remind yourself how they shoot.

Also, sometimes you can find a dealer that has them in boxes of 50, MUCH better price that way.

cidirkona
February 27, 2006, 01:21 PM
They're decently priced on ammoman.com usually, for defensive ammo that is.

-Colin

beaucoup ammo
February 27, 2006, 02:00 PM
My intention is to use for carry and HD. Would be expen$ive to use for practice that's for sure! I do plan, as Firehand suggested, to put a few rounds through the KAHR P9 to get the feel and see how she (and I) reacts.

I'll be back for more advice after I get my Sig P220 .45 ACP. BTW, it took 12 trips to the range to transition to the light weight KAHR (4 - 6lb pull) after 19 years with my favorite: S&W .357 Model 65-3 K-frame with a custom, crisp 1.5-2lb pull.

I've been reading up, and understand the Sig has a 6lb pull (Single Action) and 12lb (double action). This will require more trips to the range darn it!!:O)

Thanks for the input..looks like I'll get some.

Take Care

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!