One more reason I love my mom...

PDA

Azrael256
April 15, 2003, 03:05 PM
So the maternal unit buys a house the other day, and I went home to visit last weekend. Somewhere in the conversation, she asked if I still had that "little pistol" (.38 snubbie) laying around somewhere. Evidently mom thinks that a single woman living more or less alone (during the school year, anyway) needs to have a pistol handy (mom is pretty sharp). So, I take it out of the case, and start to show her how it works...
"Now, mom, you slide this little thingy..."
"I know how it works, push the cylinder release, load 5 rounds, click it shut, point and shoot."
"Uhhh... yeah... Ok, you need to know how to be safe, too, so Rule #1, the gu..."
"Hon, I know, it's always loaded, don't point it unless you're shooting, finger off the trigger, and know what you're aiming at."
"Umm... yeah, ok, good, but you need to know how to clean it. Take this can of stuff here, and this little thingy and..."
"I know how to clean it, I've been around for awhile, y'know... and that brush is for a .45"
"Ok... well, you might want to keep it in the case so it stays clean, but keep it close by in case you need it."
"IN THE CASE?!?!? I'm keeping it loaded on the nightstand!"

So, I'm wondering if there are any good defensive handgun classes in the Dallas area. Mom probably doesn't need it, but education is good for you.

If you enjoyed reading about "One more reason I love my mom..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve Smith
April 15, 2003, 03:17 PM
Ask your mom, she's probably an instructor! :D

10-Ring
April 15, 2003, 03:20 PM
Man, sounds like you got a cool mom! :D

blackhawk2000
April 15, 2003, 03:26 PM
Tell her to get a permit. She'll probably need it more on the street, than at home.

cool45auto
April 15, 2003, 04:47 PM
:cool: Sounds like she's got all the bases covered.

Kharn
April 15, 2003, 06:13 PM
I thought my dad was cool because he called me up from an Army/Navy store (he'll go into some of the more guy-leaning project stores, but not the fabric stores, my mom was in the fabric store next door) and asked if I wanted ammo cans, not having any, I replied yes. He did pretty good, he got me two 1140 round .223 blank cans and two cans that looked to be normal-sized .30 cans (I cant tell for sure, labels had been spray-painted) for $20 total. A little high, but he got to hand-pick them, so they are like 99%.
Maybe someday I'll get him to realize that owning one gun and owning 15+ guns is no different. I'm working on it, but its going slow.

Kharn

Betty
April 15, 2003, 08:18 PM
I love my mom. She said to me, "It's good you carry a gun. If somebody messes with you, you blow his head off!"

:what: :p

You don't mess with my 5 foot tall Vietnamese mama.

Standing Wolf
April 15, 2003, 08:36 PM
Good for your mom!

P95Carry
April 15, 2003, 08:43 PM
Now, there's a Mom with attitude!!! The RIGHT attitude!:p :)

CZ 75 BD
April 15, 2003, 09:07 PM
Millions of these Moms!!:cool:

twoblink
April 15, 2003, 11:20 PM
Yeah yeah yeah.... she's a cool mom until she starts borrowing all your guns and never returning them!! ;)

Very very cool mom.

jmbg29
April 15, 2003, 11:34 PM
:cool:

sm
April 16, 2003, 12:03 AM
quote:"Ask your mom, she's probably an instructor! ":D
LOL...

...Maybe she needs a reloader next, mom's are thrifty...If your nice she'll share...;)

synoptic
April 16, 2003, 12:38 AM
That's great about your mom, congrats :cool:

Azrael256
April 16, 2003, 02:28 AM
Maybe she needs a reloader next, mom's are thrifty Funny you should mention that... Mom knows more about reloading than I expected. Dad used to reload way back when, so mom knows how to run a reloading press. I guess that's a good thing since I'm looking at buying one as soon as I get the money. The only downside to all of this is that the snubbie was going to be my CCW piece, but if it means mom is protected, I'm more than willing to shell out a few hundred bucks to buy another one... 'course I shouldn't buy anything too fancy, or I'll end up with my snubbie again :)

Chaz
April 16, 2003, 11:44 AM
You always heard that "Mother knows Best." I guess it's true.

If you enjoyed reading about "One more reason I love my mom..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!