Ruger Mk II Hammer Fit?

PDA

bountyhunter
April 15, 2003, 05:56 PM
I had a friend whose Ruger Mk II developed a strange problem: it would fire very "reluctantly" sometimes. It had the Volquartsen trigger wit overtravel adjust. I took it apart and figured out quickly the trigger didn't have enough overtravel and wasn't releasing the hammer sometimes.

STRANGE: the curved "face" of the hammer that has to pass by the sear after the trigger releases from the sear is actually "taller" than the hammer face that mates with the sear. In other words, if you set the overtravel screw to allow the trigger to release with a bit of extra room, the sear will rub on the hammer as it whacks the FP. Doesn't seem like a good fit, although it does fire that way.

Do you guys normally file down that curved part of the hammer to get more clerance as it passes by the sear? I did some judicious filing on this one and smoothed it considerably. Seems like that would be required for a good tight trigger with little after follow.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Mk II Hammer Fit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bountyhunter
April 15, 2003, 06:00 PM
Looking at the wear surfaces on the sear face, it seems like the hammer and sear overlay maybe .015" - .020" when cocked. Does anybody reduce the height of the hammer or sear hook face to get a shorter release? Doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of room there to begin with. The pull is very smooth, but there is a pretty long trigger travel from point of sear contact and hammer fall. Still a very good trigger, just long throw.

JohnKSa
April 15, 2003, 10:46 PM
Never seen that in the ones I've worked on.

bountyhunter
April 16, 2003, 02:11 PM
So far, I've checked it two Mk II's. If you pull the trigger just far enough to let the sear clear the hammer face, as you rotate the hammer it does ride against the sear body some. Obviously it shoots that way no problem but just seems like it should have been machined back to give a bit more clearance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Mk II Hammer Fit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!