How many shooters are also photographers ?

PDA

cameraman2
March 1, 2006, 09:23 AM
Hello everyone ! I am new to THR, I've posted maybe 2-3 times but i avidly look at the forums daily. I saw a post from Alduro about shoters and muscians and thought i would start a similar thread. I got my first gun, a .22 rifle, from my father when i was eight. My mother worked for a newspaper in Wash. DC , i was taking photo class in high school, she gave me Nikon F with 3 lenses for my 16th birthday. That was 1968. Fast forward 35+ years later I am still a photographer working in high resolution digital, Nikon D2x, D1x and very much a shooter. I was always interested in how the mechanics of things worked, not so much the end product. I bought a beat up Nikon camera in 1969 and took it apart, its still apart in a box in one of my equipment cases. My first gun i could buy legally was a Series 70 Combat Commander in 9mm, I wanted a Browning HP like the one Serpico used in his book at the time but couldnt find one. Still have the CC and yes i took it apart as soon as i got it home, it however is together and i still shoot it.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many shooters are also photographers ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
March 1, 2006, 09:26 AM
You obviously don't know Oleg (http://www.olegvolk.net)... :D

cameraman2
March 1, 2006, 09:27 AM
Who is Oleg ?

beaucoup ammo
March 1, 2006, 09:30 AM
But you're not too shabby yourself, Preacherman! I seem to recall a nice set of photos from a day you and the missus spent at the range.

Digital camera is on my list, but there are a few guns I want first! Dang, it's all so expensive!

Take Care

Preacherman
March 1, 2006, 09:31 AM
Cameraman2, Oleg Volk is the boss here at THR. Click on his name in my first post - it's a link to take you to his online photography site.

Beaucoup, you've got the wrong P'man... ain't got no missus! :D

LaVere
March 1, 2006, 09:40 AM
www.lavere.net
http://www.pbase.com/lavere/galleries

Jim March
March 1, 2006, 10:15 AM
Then there's Peter Mancus:

http://cloud9photography.us

Justin
March 1, 2006, 10:21 AM
I want a digital SLR way bad.

Way.

Bad.

Photography is something that I've been slowly developing an interest in. Now I just need to stop buying gun stuff long enough to get a decent camera setup.

MS .45
March 1, 2006, 10:25 AM
I have had an interest for several years but never had any decent equipment. I got a digital camera this past holiday so I have started taking more photos. Still only a simple hobby though.

kjeff50cal
March 1, 2006, 10:59 AM
I got into photography in junior high school. My grandmother bought me a Minolta Hi-Matic G (to steer me away from guns and hunting;) ). When I was 16 my parents gave me a Pentax K 1000 and a 135mm lense (Sears) for my birthday (which is March 5), then a full darkroom setup for Christmas:what: . Still hung on to my guns though :neener: . Silver prices went through the roof (thanks Hunt Bros.) and I curbed my photography (still did occasional weddings and headshots [portraits you guys:D ]) and went to college got a real job(s).

I was working for an airfreight delivery firm when a friend got an internship at a local community newspaper. They needed a good photographer and I had an interest in photo-journalism. I shot a couple of assignments for them and they liked what they saw. I took a leap of faith and left a good paying job to be payed about $500 a month (plus any photo jobs I could snag):what: .

The first week I was hired I was thrown in over my head. My newpaper was one of the only local community newspapers (Houston, Texas) to cover the G-7 Economic Summit (1990) as part of the "press corps" :what: . Needless to say I know a few people in high (and low) places:cool: . Now I am a freelance/contractor (I do event photography, occasional journalism and still do weddings:D for a studio).

kjeff50cal

Oleg Volk
March 1, 2006, 11:01 AM
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/albums/author-again/photoshoot.thumb.jpg

ACP230
March 1, 2006, 11:11 AM
I started taking pictures with one of those boxy Kodak cameras. If I remember right the film was larger than 35mm.

Then bought an Exacta 35mm out of the back pages of a photo mag just before college. At the second school I went to I took a photography class and got a Canon some years later. That camera led a hard life, but stood up to it for many years. I still use a Canon when shooting film. I recently started using an Olympus digital. Different, but useful when editors take text and photos from e-mail.

After shool I shot photos while working (briefly) as a reporter for a weekly and a daily newspaper.

Now shoot to illustrate the gun prose I commit. (Some need to be done today.) Also for the family photo collection.

I was a shooter before I started shooting photos, but have been doing both for quite a while. On a good day, I get paid to do both.

Husker1911
March 1, 2006, 11:21 AM
I recently joined this digital photography hobby, purchased a Canon SLR EOS Rebel. My 75-300 lens is fun, but I'm desiring a 400 or even 500mm lens to nail down some of the wildlife shots I'm trying for. As a longtime hunter, photography seems a natural extension of the skills I've learned over the years. I've got a long way to go, but utilizing digital technology, it's not too expensive once you've gotten past the initial investment. Yesterday I was on a local lake with over twenty bald eagles hunting/scavenging fish and ducks. Got a couple decent shots!

mtnbkr
March 1, 2006, 11:29 AM
Amateur here.

I'm setting up a darkroom at the moment. I need a few incidentals and the consumables for developing prints and away I go...

No need for digital, I spend enough time in front of the computer as it is.

Chris

ShackleMeNot
March 1, 2006, 11:33 AM
Yep. Currently running a Canon 10d.

http://www.warriormindset.com/hosted/bot7.jpg

LHB1
March 1, 2006, 11:34 AM
Well let's see, I'm nearly 67 years old and have been shooting for at least 60 years. Have been a "photographer" for 50+ years although my skills don't match the pros on the forum.
Started shooting with Daisy Red Ryder BB gun, then Win single shot .22, etc. Now have Win M70's in .25-06, .270, and 7 mm Mag. Along the way I shot Bullseye pistol competition for several years. Now shoot mostly pistols for personal satisfaction using S&W M41, S&W M629's, Wilson Classic 1911's, and Marvel Unit 1 conversion. LOTS OF FUN!!
Started taking pics with Kodak Bullseye camera, then Kodak 35 mm -> Nikon F2HP, F3HP's -> Leica R8, R9. Have resisted digital cameras because my passion in photography is 35 mm slides, especially for animal pics using long telephoto lenses. Did buy a point-shoot digital camera for my wife and I use it occasionally to post pics on the forum. Don't like it because it is very difficult to control aperture/shutter speeds.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

84B20
March 1, 2006, 11:40 AM
Well, here goes, I've been a photographer since I was in high school and started earning money my senior year. That was in 1964. You can figure my age if you are interested. Those of you with military experience can probably figure out what my user name indicates. Anyway, I've been a professional since before I went into the Army as well as my three years of active duty.

I worked as a news photogapher for over 20 years but left that when the paper I worked for laid me and most of the staff off in 1995. Two years later the paper closed for financial reasons.

I changed careers after that and switched to computers. I still shoot but now it is black and white landscape. You can see my work at the following site:

http://www.compupal.com

I've also had an interest in firearms since before my Army days and became very interested during the last 10 or so years as a news photographer in Los Angeles where I got my first CCW. Lately I've been concerned with protection against bears and other large carnivors because I am planning to do a lot more travel to the nortern states and Alaska as a landscape photographer and have been doing much reading on the subject.

depicts
March 1, 2006, 11:57 AM
36376The Army trained me at the Defense Information School as a photojournalist. I first served in that position in Vietnam in 1968. I covered unit operations for the 4th Infantry Division for the division newspaper, the Ivy Leaf.

Back to the world, I got a job with Polaroid, learned to be a camera repairman, but it wasn't what I wanted.

I interned with a former White House photographer who worked for President Nixon, and learned commercial photography, especially large format and publications photography.

After that I spent ten years running the photo department for a Defense Company, doing all product and PR photos, as well as running the labs.

I then went out on my own and ran a successful studio for ten years, eventually doing some gun photography for companies like SIG, Guns and Ammo and some other magazines, but mostly shooting catalogs. I remember a couple of times driving from the SIG factory in Exeter, NH with one of everything in the back of my car, and hoping I wouldn't be pulled over and have to explain that. Being around Providence RI, I also did a lot of jewelry photography.

I retired in 1998, and didn't take another picture until last November when I got a new Golden Retriever puppy. She was so cute I broke down and bought a nice compact digital camera, and now I have over 500 pictures of her :D

I don't miss the photography too much. For once I'm absorbing the world, instead of showing it to eveeryone else. Gives me more time to appreciate the real beauty in this world.

Welcome to the group! :)

Soybomb
March 1, 2006, 11:58 AM
Yup, helped pay for college with a little photojournalism with a nikon n50 I believe it was. I have a d70 now and enjoy it, but am a little low on glass :D I really miss darkroom work though and am tempted to set one up.

Brad Johnson
March 1, 2006, 12:11 PM
I took this last year on a little Father/Son jaunt Dad and I did on Father's Day.

http://static.flickr.com/16/22230743_c6393c0a8f_d.jpg

This is from a charity spur auction last summer.

http://static.flickr.com/16/22469325_1fcb5d0ce5_d.jpg

And this is the bigger of my two knuckleheads. At a lanky 19 lbs he's almost too big for even my ample lap.

http://static.flickr.com/39/103595947_b5c0fca0f9_d.jpg

All the images were taken on a Canon Digital Rebel (the older 300D, not the new 350D/XT). The lens was a Canon 24-70 f2.8/L. I bought both lightly used on e-bay. The digital has worked so well that my film body - which I paid a fortune for less than a decade ago - is now boxed up in the top of my closet.

With the introducion of the Rebel XT the older D-Reb bodies can be had on e-bay for reasonable prices. Just be sure to invest in some good glass. Good glass will allow you to get the most out of your images. It will also allow you to progress to higher resolution bodies without having to upgrade your lenses.

ScottsGT
March 1, 2006, 12:18 PM
Got hooked on it in High School back around '78-'79 and played with it for a few years until I discovered cars and go fast toys. Gave it up until about 8 years back. Got a Minolta 650si and some nice glass to go with it, also bought a Mamiya 645 and spent big bucks having it refurbed along with the 4 lenses. Tried shooting weddings, but decided that I didn't need to take crap off anymore women than my wife so threw in the towel and sold the medium format gear after it sat in the closet for 4 years. Now play around with an inexpensive Nikon CoolPix 5600. Was waitin on Minolta's digital SLR to drop in price, but then they announced they are getting out of cameras and selling the line to Sony. Just wanted to use the glass on my 650si. I do appreciate the lessons I learned about lighting. It drives people crazy to see me do things with a point and shoot that they can't do because they don't understand lighting. :D

tomkatz
March 1, 2006, 12:30 PM
My wife is a shooter and an amatuer photo taker:D

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/8960/4x6img82807cx.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/tomkatzid/ashlee/aa7129.jpg

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/9349/img98566zy.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1506/img6795cropped2inches11xb.jpg

Just to keep it gun related;):D I have this one as my desktop background.
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9945/img6795cropped2incheswgun16kf.jpg

birddog
March 1, 2006, 12:30 PM
Aye. Check my website. I've done a couple of book covers, a bunch of magazine illustrations. I've loved photography since I was old enough to hold a camera.

depicts
March 1, 2006, 01:19 PM
Your painting of Evening Rise is just spectacular. I can see that spot just off Rt 16 in NH, although it may be someplace else, but I've never seen it captured so wonderously, except in my minds eye. Thanks! :)

depicts
March 1, 2006, 01:23 PM
Love the shot of the spurs....excellent!

f4t9r
March 1, 2006, 02:33 PM
There are some nice pics here. I have been into it for a number of years.

progunner1957
March 1, 2006, 02:54 PM
I have been making photographs off and on for about 20 years, seriously for the last 13. I use Nikon, Hasselblad and Leica gear, all film-based, no digital. I shoot alot of Fuji Velvia, but have recently been shooting alot of Ilford
HP5+ black and white, which I develop at home. I have developed my Fuji Velvia in the past, but have gotten lazy the last couple of years and have been sending it to a lab to be processed. The most modern camera I have is a Nikon F100, the others being all mechanical in operation.

My main interests are macro, travel, nature and landscape, though I do enjoy photographing people when traveling in other countries. When I first got serious about photography, I photographed 6 or 7 weddings - enough to get comfortable doing weddings, but gave wedding photography up to concentrate on my other photographic interests.

At present, I am working on making display prints out of my images and getting them into locations that exhibit photography. I have had a few exhibits in the past, and hope to have more.

One of my favorite cameras is the old Nikon F3hp, which has a battery powered shutter and light meter, but is manual exposure capable and manual focus. They are just about indestructible - there are many of them in camera shops for sale that were used as press cameras. These former press cameras are beaten to crap, but still function. I have come to think of the
F3hp as the photographic equivalent of the Colt 1911 - both are old warhorses, the finest of their breed that still resolutely soldier on and get the job done. I also photograph with an old Nikon FM2n, which is all mechanical, lightweight and extremely reliable.

MinScout
March 1, 2006, 03:22 PM
I'm very much an amateur digital photographer. I currently have a Canon S1 IS, which I use a great deal. I particularly like photographing rural lanscapes with old structures like barns, country churches, etc.

birddog
March 1, 2006, 04:07 PM
Depicts,
I'll pass your compliment along to my pal John Wnukowski. He's the artist. The photography on the website is mine. For the record, the "Evening Rise" is from a photo he took of a western river...can't remember the name.

Joel

Amish_Bill
March 1, 2006, 05:33 PM
non-pro photog here. Been in and out of it for a decade or two.

Don't have time to dig up a work safe sample right now... ;-)

PlayboyPenguin
March 1, 2006, 05:39 PM
I used to dabble in B&W photography in college but not anymore. I have seen a whole lot of people post some very nice presentational work of their firearms here. There is a thread on TFL that is all people posting pics of their collections. Some of the work is very good.

Monkeyleg
March 1, 2006, 06:30 PM
The photos on this thread rival what I've seen from many pro's.

I've been a professional photographer since 1978. It's been a rewarding career, but commercial photography has become a tough business.

The nice part of the job is having access to top-of-the-line equipment: Phase 1 digital backs ($30,000+), Sinar 4x5 cameras, Broncolor strobe equipment, etc. If a shot I'm retouching is too much for my Mac G4 here at home, I can use the G5 (2.7 GHz dual processors with 8 gigs of RAM) at the studio I freelance for.

The downside to being a pro is that photography eventually ceases to be a hobby. I can't remember the last time I just went out and took shots for the fun of it.

Standing Wolf
March 1, 2006, 06:35 PM
I'm a painter who dabbles in photography. Is that close enough?

Larry Ashcraft
March 1, 2006, 08:57 PM
Here's a pic of a THR member who is a pretty darn good photographer, although he won't admit it.

Any guesses who it is?

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36418&d=1141264610

MillCreek
March 1, 2006, 09:41 PM
Another picture-taker here, not sure if I am good enough to call myself a photographer. I started with an AE-1 Canon back in the late 70's, and currently have a number of digital point and shoots and a Canon 20D. This is one of my hobbies, and I have never done this for money.

Standing Wolf
March 1, 2006, 10:58 PM
Any guesses who it is?

Some open carry nut from Colorado?

Desk Jockey
March 1, 2006, 11:12 PM
Count me as an engineer who dabbles in large format nature photography, hunting, and a little shooting.

Larry Ashcraft
March 1, 2006, 11:20 PM
Some open carry nut from Colorado?
Well, that's definately open carry, so I guess you're warm.

And that in the background folks is a genuine 1953 John Deere model 40 , rare bird.

Sharp eye, eh?

Dr.Rob
March 1, 2006, 11:30 PM
I'm published but I wouldn't call myself a 'photographer'... just another paintbrush in my toolbox that I'm working on.

Bob R
March 1, 2006, 11:49 PM
I used to shoot film all the time. A 21 year Navy career made sure I always had new places to take pictures on a regular baisis.

Started with a Minolta SRT101, then an Olympus OM2, and now have a nicely used Olympus OM4 that I need to have tuned up.

I haven't embraced the digital SLR yet, but it is getting closer everyday, and cheaper every day.

bob

22-rimfire
March 2, 2006, 12:00 AM
I used to consider myself fairly adept at photography when 35mm Kodachrome ruled. I was into primarily outdoors photography but have done a few weddings, and informal portraits and so forth. I admire people who have been able to "make it" in the professional nature photography world. I have had a few things published in the nature arena in magazines and so forth. Money has never been the object, but I won't give them for free.

Shooting, hunting, and photography all go hand in hand. Hunters love the outdoors. Photography gives you a "reason" to push yourself to take those hikes alone out in the woods in search of suitable targets.

Have just started to get into the digital photography. For the most part it has been snapshots, family, and work related (documentation). It is fun. Would love to buy a really high end digital camera, probably Nikon. Most of my older equipment is Nikon and I have a number of bodies that I take with me on phtographic jaunts. It's fun, but life is busy and photography has taken a backseat to other activities.

Trip20
March 2, 2006, 12:16 AM
Just got my first digital camera (I know... took me long enough). It's become very interesting. Here's a sample of some tinkering... still no idea what I'm doing but I'll get the hang of it.

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36428&stc=1&d=1141274661

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36429&stc=1&d=1141274836

grimjaw
March 2, 2006, 12:24 AM
I've been known to dabble.
http://www.grimjaw.net/mig/albums/misc/gourd01.jpg
http://www.grimjaw.net/mig/albums/2006/DC/1411.jpg

I studied it for two years in college, and worked at it for twice as many. Had a few photo jobs, but I decided to go a different route. Plenty of times I regret it the choice, but that's life.

Photography enabled me to reclaim some sanity, and helped me find beauty in life where there was none before. Taught me to stop and look at things, and see them from a different angle.

At least I can combine the two hobbies (guns and cameras) now and have fun with it.

jmm

pbhome71
March 2, 2006, 12:28 AM
Count me as an engineer who dabbles in large format nature photography, hunting, and a little shooting.

I'm also into large format, but architectural instead.

Demon440
March 2, 2006, 02:57 AM
Both kind of shooting are my hobby.

www.ABCshots.com

tomkatz
March 2, 2006, 03:13 AM
Grimjaw.....awesome shot of The Wall, very nice!!!!
.....tom

Nematocyst
March 2, 2006, 03:36 AM
I'm pleased to be surfing here.

Hey, this is kind of like that guns & musicians (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=185300) thread. ;)

These two are from a canyon in southern Utah named Owl.

This area requires a serious 4 hr walk in,
including several sections where one has to
rationally decide how to get down some very treacherous cliff faces,
deeper into the canyon.

Slickrock it was.
{If you don't understand that term,
I don't recommend standing too close to
the edge of canyon rims in southern Utah. :evil: }

Jpg compressed 35mm.
(Orginals are over 1 MB.)

I'll post another of a 13,822' peak called
"the Rio Grande Pyramid" in Weminuche Wilderness of S. CO
later ... after the THR server settles down a bit...
{3rd upload failed...must be heavy traffic tonight}...

Been meaning to ask: is there an easy way to make a donation to THR?

That is, if members want to make a $ donation
(for bandwidth, new servers, etc),
how do we do it?

Nem

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36435&stc=1&d=1141287499

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36436&stc=1&d=1141287618

Nematocyst
March 2, 2006, 04:11 AM
I'll post another of a 13,822' peak called
"the Rio Grande Pyramid" in Weminuche Wilderness of S. CO
later ... after the THR server settles down a bit...As promised.

{I was mistakenly trying to upload a larger file size. My bad.}

This peak straddles the continental divide near the top of the Rio Grande watershed, up E. Ute Creek.

Photo is from ~12,000'
with an Olympus OM-4T
loaded with Kodachrome 64,
mounted on a backpacking tripod.

(The pack, with photo gear, 1.5 days up the trail from 8700',
was 72 lbs on that trip, & I was only 140. :what: )

And that was only camp 2.
There were two more 3 more days in.

Nem

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36437&stc=1&d=1141290603

Nematocyst
March 2, 2006, 04:35 AM
Yeah, last one.

And that was only camp 2.
There were two more 3 more days in. This is my fav shot from camp 3.

Looking west from Rock Lake at ~12,200'.

The tent is a Garuda Atman, a Himilaya-worthy single-walled mountaineering tent for two.

The peak in the distance (mid photo) is "the Guardian",
a 13,600' piece of granite that got stuck up by geologic processes over a few million years.
{Check the amount of folding - caused by uplift - in the hills to the north [right].}

It was the eastern most peak in a chain called the Grenadier Range (http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~nuttelmc/Gristle.htm).
Working east to west: Guardian, Silex, Storm King...
(Silex & Storm King are 'behind' the Guardian in my photo, taken from due east.)

Camp 4, under the Guardian (base of the peak on the north side), was a LONG day's walk.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36079&d=1140774675

johnmcl
March 2, 2006, 09:15 AM
Hi all,

I've been a 35mm photographer for years and just last December made a jump into digital. I find my Nikon D70s to be a joy. In addition to some poor Oleg-esque attempts at weapons photos, I've been enjoyed expanding my photo skills.

In terms of shooting, historically interesting guns are the ones that capture my attention. I positively *LOVE* shooting Garands and 03's for example.

Here's three photos fro a recent morning spent in Georgetown, a section of Washington, DC.

36444 36445

John

Darkside
March 2, 2006, 09:58 AM
I too shoot both ways. :what: :)

I became interested in photography in the early 80's when I bought my SLR, a Canon AL1. After that is was an A-1, Followed by a couple AE-1 Programs then finally a F-1 that I shot in college while working on a major in photography, shooting mainly sports. After getting out of college, the real world soaked in, since I didn't have a home darkroom, film cost a LOT of money to get developed. I was used to shooting 15-20 rolls at a football game, at $1 a roll. Then I would go to the college darkroom and develope it for about 50 cents.

I couldn't afford, or have the time, to set-up a home darkroom so the film cameras were sold off.

Then along came digital....WHOO HOO. I started with the Canon DSLR but quickly upgraded to the 20D. I bought a 10D as backup and a couple L's . Now I am back to shooting about 150-200 photos at my son's sports games.

I LOVE DIGITAL.

Darkside

JimAmentler
March 2, 2006, 11:53 AM
I have been a full time photographer for bodybuilding/fitness magazines and supplement companies for the last 15 years or so. Musclemag International, Oxygen (the womens fitness mag), Ironman, Muscular Development, various overseas mags. Also music industry work occasionally. Now have moved on to other full time work involving guns (imagine that!) and medical care.

I still use my Canon's and the RZ for fun. I have a Hasselblad that I never use anymore if anyone is interested in buying it.

ScottsGT
March 2, 2006, 01:56 PM
OK, to keep things gun related........:D (most of these were taken with a 2.0 Sony)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/ScottsGT/M1b.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/ScottsGT/380left.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/ScottsGT/WWIIToys.jpg

Nikon CoolPix 5600:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/ScottsGT/Archedsideview.jpg

Mad Man
March 2, 2006, 05:46 PM
Now you can do both!

http://www.meopta.com/index.php?id=132&lang=en

Meosmart™, A Meopta exclusive digital Hunting Scope
A truly innovative and revolutionary new firearms optical sighting product for the 21st century!

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36474&d=1141339578

When set in the on position, the Meosmart™ automatically captures a digital image of what ever the scope is aimed at when the firearm is discharged or when the manual shutter button is pressed. Allowing the user to capture an image of his intended target that can later be reviewed, saved, printed or shared.

This revolutionary new product utilizes only the finest optical image splitting system available in addition to state-of-the-art electronics, firmware and CCD digital image hardware, which have been seamlessly blended into our renowned top quality Meostar™ riflescope system! Ensuring superior sighting performance and years of quality image capturing! Because of its unique image splitting configuration the optical sighting system is designed to function when the digital capturing system is in either the on or off positions, guarantying that you will never miss a shooting opportunity due to any aspect of the digital capturing system.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36475&d=1141339583

The Meosmart™ is ideally suited for serious hunters who want to capture that once in a lifetime shot or the professional target shooters who are always looking for ways to improve their shooting technique or just the average shooter who has to have the most innovative and revolutionary riflescope on the market today!

And speaking of shooters who like to photograph, or photographers who like to shoot guns, check out this guy's (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=15808) (non-gun related) pictures at http://www.peeniewallie.com/slideshows/index.html

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36476&d=1141339876 (http://www.peeniewallie.com/2006/02/)
February 27, 2006: Wyoming Archers Defenseless Against Grizzly Bears

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36477&d=1141340215 (http://www.peeniewallie.com/2006/01/)
January 22, 2006: Ptarmigan Point - Grand County, Colorado

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36478&d=1141340222 (http://www.peeniewallie.com/2005/11/)
November 16, 2005: The Weasels in HR

His take on digital SLRs (http://www.peeniewallie.com/2005/12/the_truth_about_2.html) is worth reading, too.

Some collections of his pictures can be found at

Jackson 2000 (http://www.peeniewallie.com/images/2000_jackson/thumbnails.html)

Denver 2001 (http://www.peeniewallie.com/images/2001_denver/thumbnails.html)

Havana 2001 (http://www.peeniewallie.com/images/2001_havana/thumbnails.html)

Jackson 2001 (http://www.peeniewallie.com/images/2001_jackson/thumbnails.html)

Jackson 2002 (http://www.peeniewallie.com/images/2002_jackson/thumbnails.html)

Orlando 2002 (http://www.peeniewallie.com/images/2002_orlando/thumbnails.html)

Ouray 2002 (http://www.peeniewallie.com/images/2002_ouray/thumbnails.html)

San Francisco 2002 (http://www.peeniewallie.com/images/2002_sanfrancisco/thumbnails.html)

Amsterdam 2003 (http://www.peeniewallie.com/images/amsterdam/thumbnails.html)

New Orleans 2003 (http://www.peeniewallie.com/images/neworleans/thumbnails.html)

Honolulu 2004 - The Second Voyage (http://www.peeniewallie.com/images/2004_honolulu2/thumbnails.html)

San Francisco - Haight/Ashbury to Chinatown (http://www.peeniewallie.com/images/2004_sanfrancisco2/thumbnails.html)

Bahamas 2004 (http://www.peeniewallie.com/images/2004_bahamas/thumbnails.html)

Backyard Deer Hunt 2004 (http://www.peeniewallie.com/images/2004_house/thumbnails.html)

Steve's 1943 Ford GPA (http://www.peeniewallie.com/images/gpa/thumbnails.html)

I'd post some of them here, but I'm already at the limit of five pictures, and I don't want to be a bandwidth thief (http://www.peeniewallie.com/2005/10/bandwidth_thief.html).

gulogulo1970
March 2, 2006, 05:58 PM
I still shoot slides and color print film with my Canon EOS-1n I move them to my computer with a really neat Nikon slide scanner.

I'm trying to become totally digital With a Canon D60 SLR I picked up last year but the image quality is still not up to par compaired to a scanned slide. 6.2MP (D60) verses about 90MP (scanned slides).

Digital is so much easier when it comes to how many images you can have on a 2GB card. Plus there seems to be less waste, just toss the images that are crap. And I'm kind of cheap so sometimes, I might not take a picture if I'm running low on film. But with digital I've gotten more shots because I took the shot knowing if it was bad it wouldn't cost me the price of film and developing.

Photography is my second favorite hobby after guns and shooting. It is similar in the way that you can have good and bad days shooting guns and cameras. When I shoot poorly I think why did I spend all this money on something that I suck so much at. When I have a good day with either it makes me feel really great.

I like the gear aspect of both hobbies as well. Owning really good glass is almost makes me feel as good as owning a Colt. Using both to good effect is the best.

Nematocyst
March 3, 2006, 04:12 PM
...I move them to my computer with a really neat Nikon slide scanner. I've got one of those also: a Nikon Coolscan IV that I bought a couple of years ago to try to archive my 35mm slide collection.

The images in my 3 posts on page 2 were scanned in using it.

It's very sweet, but it carries a steeper learning curve than I anticipated. For some naive reason, I expected to be able to scan about an image every minute and be happy with it.

Banish the thought. After pre-scan, one then has to tweak colors, effectively telling the scanner what is the darkest portion of the image and what is the lightest portion. The entire process winds up taking 5 -8 minutes per slide.

Even then, the color reproduction is often less than desirable.

Since I'm trying to archive a few hundred of my best slides, it's going to take me a while. :uhoh:

But I do agree with you: the detail possible by scanning a real 35mm slide seems to exceed what one can get from all but the best digital cameras. (I'm betting some digital photographers will already argue with me there, and if not now, then undoubtedly soon...the digital photog technology is evolving at light speeed, so to speak. ;)

Nem

84B20
March 3, 2006, 06:17 PM
Nematocyst-870,

I have two of the older Nikon Coolscan and have used them for years. You should probably just scan the images as raw as possible and use Photoshop to do the adjustments. I think you'll find it faster and will give better results. I'm not sure if it is available for your model but there is a feeder made that will hold about 50 slides at a time for mass scanning.

KrankyKraut
March 3, 2006, 07:25 PM
I like Mauser, Mosin and Minolta. :)

Actually, I prefer Nikon... But, anyway, I have been shooting film for thirty years now as my major hobby. Shooting milsurps is a more recent thing. Must have something to do with my (advancing) age; I won't touch wunderplastik digital cameras or plastic guns. They just don't feel right to me.

Nematocyst
March 3, 2006, 09:24 PM
84B20, thanks for the suggestion.

The problem seems to be that if I scan them totally raw, without setting the end points for 'lightest' and 'darkest', then color information is lost.

By at least setting those two points, then when I get the images into PhotoShop, life is easier.

I'll admit freely that I'm far, far, far from being a Photoshop master, so I'll explore & experiment with 'raw' images at your suggestion.

Nem

84B20
March 3, 2006, 09:44 PM
Nematocyst-870,

It must be something with the newer Nikon scanner because that didn't seem to be a problem with my older ones. They were in the $2300 price range though. I bought them when I was a pro and could write them off.

Stevie-Ray
March 3, 2006, 09:55 PM
Shoot both, but have been into guns much longer. Got my first decent camera in 1980. Minolta XG-1. Bought a 2X teleconvertor within the first year that had a removable lens so I could use it as an extension tube for macros. Bought a 87-200mm lens by the next year and I was on my way to great fun. My pictures used to adorn the walls of the FoMoCo building I worked in due to a beautification program they had going. What you got in return was the mounts to take home after 6 months. They now hang in various places in my home. My first digital was an Olympus D-100, that I practically got for free. Nice to experiment with but only 1.3 MP. The wife just got me a Kodak C-340 5 MP with printer dock for Christmas. Very cool, so far. I still use a 35mm for vacations and such, but now it's mostly an Olympus Stylus Zoom 140 DLX. I still have the Minolta, though, and will never part with it.

LHB1
March 3, 2006, 11:27 PM
Nematocyst,
While researching scanners I read that the Nikon Coolscan ICE software did a poor job in scanning Kodachrome slides. Since all of my slides (40 years) are K'chrome I postponed buying the scanner. Can you try turning OFF the ICE software and scan some K'chrome slides to see how the Nikon CS IV works in that mode? Would appreciate a PM to let me know the results. I still have a desire to scan some of my more memorable slides. Thanks.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

Nematocyst
March 4, 2006, 03:15 AM
84B20, I'll bet your Nikon was more of a professional model than mine. This one was - AFAIC - around $1000 or so. More prosumer than professional.

Can you try turning OFF the ICE software and scan some K'chrome slides to see how the Nikon CS IV works in that mode? Would appreciate a PM to let me know the results. I haven't done any scanning in a while, and am not doing any presently. (I've been up to my ears in a remodeling project for my business for the last five months - going on while I work in it. Before that, I spent three months looking for a business location in another town, but that fell through.)

I'm hoping to get back into some scanning in another month or two. So I'll try your idea then. In fact, it seems like I may have toyed with turning off the ICE software...honestly can't remember, but will check my notes.

Once i get back into it, I'll do my best to remember to let you know the results.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Nem

Valkman
March 4, 2006, 03:35 AM
Not a Pro, just got a Canon Rebel XT mostly to take pics of the knives I make for my website. I love shooting in RAW! :)

Here's a pic with the Canon:

http://usera.imagecave.com/Valkman/Eos_Strider-copy.jpg

halfgone
March 4, 2006, 04:22 AM
Yep, I do both as well. I've done photography longer, even did a bit of time 'wedding photography range', but with school making money an endangered species I had given up for a while (I still shoot old-school cameras, you know, ones with film), but then my doofus for a schoolmate got me hooked on handguns and now I just took home my first pistol the other day.

Why can't I find cheap hobbies?!?

JMusic
March 4, 2006, 09:00 AM
Crime scene Photo shooter. Still working on the artistic side of the buisness. Oleg's the master here.
Jim

Frandy
March 4, 2006, 09:21 AM
Amateur since around 1969. First with a Minolta SRT-101 and then for years with Nikon F2, then F4 and 6006. Messed with 6X6 also with a Mamiya TLR (best value!) and then a Bronica SLR. Sold all the film cameras when I realized I no longer would win a Pulitzer (HA!) and now just dabble with a Nikon D100 so I could use those lenses, a Canon G5, which is my everyday camera, and mst recently a Casio Exilim S600 for parties, family gatherings, and so on. Not the best resolution, but it's not used for much more than 4x6 prints or online viewing. Lots of fun features.

One from my F2 days:
http://homepage.mac.com/franman/.Pictures/Portfolio/WTrade%201-18.jpg

Bronica and a bit of Photoshop:
http://homepage.mac.com/franman/.Pictures/Portfolio/BlueShadow_1_800.jpg

Now that I'm 100% digital, I mess a lot:
http://homepage.mac.com/franman/.Pictures/Portfolio/TrishStarORIG_7_800.jpg

Oh, I guess I need something weapon-related. G5:
http://homepage.mac.com/franman/.Pictures/Vail_DropPoint_1_800.jpg

swampsniper
March 4, 2006, 10:13 AM
I'm an amateur for sure, but I have a good time. I can't hunt the way I did when I was younger, just try to save some of my memories for my grandkids.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v244/tsiya/

Curare
March 4, 2006, 01:24 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/d8006/butterfly800.jpg

Curare
March 4, 2006, 01:25 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/d8006/RolexSDhighres800.jpg

Curare
March 4, 2006, 01:30 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/d8006/centralcitybighorn800.jpg

beaucoup ammo
March 4, 2006, 02:02 PM
I'M AMAZED AT THE TALENT "THR" MEMBERS HAVE WITH REGARD TO PHOTOGRAPHY. OLEG'S WORK AND EVERYONE ELSE'S MAKES ME SWING BY THE CAMERA DEPARTMENT MORE AND MORE.

OF COURSE, IT WAS "THR" THAT JUMP STARTED MY RENEWED INTEREST IN FIREARMS. IT HAS BEEN VERY EXPENSIVE. NOW, WITH PHOTOGRAPHY GRIPPING ME TIGHTER EVERY DAY..I WAS WONDERING IF EVERY "THR" MEMBER SENT ME JUST ONE (1) DOLLAR..JUST 1..IT WOULD GO A LONG WAY IN DEFRAYING THE EXPENSES THESE ADDICTIONS ARE COSTING ME!:O)

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

NateG
March 4, 2006, 08:32 PM
When I was about four, I was over at my great-uncle's (a hunter) house with my extended family. My immediate family didn't hunt, and somehow I ended up talking to my aunt about hunting, or something. She, urban, sophisticated New Yorker was horrified at the thought of hunting said that sometimes she shoots animals, too. But with a camera. I (in my four-year-old way) informed her that, "that wasn't as good."

Although it doesn't put meat on the table, you don't have to wait for a season to stalk and shoot critters with a camera. :)

84B20
March 4, 2006, 10:16 PM
Curare,

It looks more like camera movement from too slow of a shutter speed than focus to me. If you don't have one, get a monopod for shots like this one. They also work as walking sticks. I got one that has changeable heads so I can use it for a rifle as well. Just a suggestion.

gryphon
March 4, 2006, 10:57 PM
:)

I've been shooting firearms for quite a while(1997), but photos only since 2003.

The wife supports me in both pursuits. I've got a Fuji S5100 and a Nikon N90s w/ a 35-70 lens. Saving up for a D50 and a couple of lenses. I'm working on a website, so I'll post a link for pictures after that.

SRFL
March 4, 2006, 11:32 PM
I've been both a photo and firearms buff since I was a youngin' living in NYC....getting into photography was much easier than getting into shooting in Gotham though.

As it is, I'm not sure which I have more of...cameras or guns. I own various makes of both. On the camera systems front, I mostly own 35mm SLR and few rangefinders. My workhorse being Minolta (NOT Konica-Minolta...yeech!) Maxxum 9xi and Dynax 7 autofocus SLRs. I also own the following systems: autofocus Nikon, Olympus OM, Canon FD, Minolta MD, Pentax M, Konica, and Voigtlaender LTM.

Today, I went to Tampa's annual Raymond James-Gasparilla Art Festival "armed" with my Nikon F4s, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 ED (1st generation without the tripod collar), Nikkor 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5D, SB-25 TTL Speedlight and a ton of film to shoot some street scenes. Unbeknowest to anyone present, I was also armed with my Kahr P9 Covert concealed in my HBE Leatherworks COM holster, which was backed up with my Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster. I also toted two mags, an eight and seven round magazine.

nipprdog
March 5, 2006, 06:02 AM
been a photographer most of my life. shooting mostly sports,wildlife, and pets.

shot these yesterday at the Supercross practice session.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/nippr/SX/DSC_2672vw.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/nippr/SX/DSC_2624vw.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/nippr/SX/DSC_2698vw.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/nippr/SX/DSC_2452.jpg

Curare
March 5, 2006, 09:51 AM
It looks more like camera movement from too slow of a shutter speed than focus to me. If you don't have one, get a monopod for shots like this one. They also work as walking sticks. I got one that has changeable heads so I can use it for a rifle as well. Just a suggestion.

May have been camera movement. I has in a hurry to get the shot. he big horn were in that spot, lined up, for about 2 seconds before running off.

84B20
March 5, 2006, 11:40 AM
Curare,

Understandable, been there myself. Sometimes it's better to get the shot and not worry too much about the technique.

Rafterman191
March 5, 2006, 11:52 AM
Use to shoot a Minolta Maxxum, now shooting a Sony DSC. Like the artistic options with a digital. This is a view of what a would be intruder would see.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/lovely_broken_doll/thuglivin.jpg

Len
March 5, 2006, 12:11 PM
Here are a few...almost all taken with either a Minolta 35, or Nikon Digital.

I do quite a few of the PC generated portraits for local hunt/dog/fishing/shooting clubs...great subject matter, nice guys...

Image size and clarity dramatically reduced for web viewing.

Some samples of the dog pix...
36621 36619 36620

The B17 pix are from a recent ride [my wife gave me for a b-day!] at the Yankee Air force. FWIW...after having seen the actual ball turret shape/size...I can't believe anyone ever got in there! Brave and small guys I'm assuming.

36622 36623

Curare
March 5, 2006, 01:00 PM
This is a view of what a would be intruder would see. --Rafterman191

The back cover of a rap album? :D

How old are you? Seriously.

That's a Ruger P90 in your left hand. What's in your right?

Nice effects.

Rafterman191
March 5, 2006, 03:55 PM
I cannot reveal what is in the right hand but will give a few hints.
3 letters
Stainless
Heavy as a brick
Same caliber as P90

Oh yea if you like that pic check out this one, its the inside cover of my album.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/lovely_broken_doll/Picture141.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/lovely_broken_doll/Picture130.jpg

Curare
March 5, 2006, 05:05 PM
Looks like a Beretta.

Rafterman191
March 5, 2006, 06:57 PM
I was actually referring to the original pic with 2 pistols in it. Other pics are a CZ 40-P. Look at the sight on the other pic that is probably the biggest helper.

Hypnogator
March 5, 2006, 10:29 PM
I've done some semi-pro photography in my time, and still greatly enjoy taking nature photos.

RaetherEnt
March 5, 2006, 11:19 PM
My wife and I are both shooters...she's the photographer. Most of her better shots are "real life" types where she captures the moment.

My daughter not giving up her Ruffles to ANYONE!

RaetherEnt
March 5, 2006, 11:27 PM
After coming home from a very scary fire...Very glad to hold my daughter again!

If you enjoyed reading about "How many shooters are also photographers ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!