S&W 99

PDA

mathewsman99
March 1, 2006, 03:43 PM
just put a downpayment on a s&W99 compact in a 40S&W i was just wondering if you have one how you liked it. it feels really nice in my hand anf i am also looking for a couple of holsters for it one for carrying and the other for just walking around the woods.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 99" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ProPistols
March 1, 2006, 11:38 PM
I had to carry a full size and a compact for one of the depts I work for. I hated those guns. Take into account I truly dislike .40 caliber but while the gun had some nice features, they didn't work well under stress fire. The rear sights are horrible and move app 1/8" to 1/4" left to right freely. The grips left much to be desired in terms of their ability to be gripped. The guns had a tendency to turn in your hand during recoil. The trigger pull wasn't bad, but the pull was long. With that said, RECOIL and Muzzle Flip were Horrific! I carried those for 2 years and begged the Chief to let me get rid of them. I'm a big man and I shoot professionally, but after 50 rounds of training, my wrists would be shot! I can shoot a 45 or 50 all day without problems. But, this is just my opinion and perhaps your experiences will be different. Good Luck!

LynnMassGuy
March 1, 2006, 11:41 PM
I love mine. Take the previous post, reverse just about every opinion in it and thats how I feel about mine.
they didn't work well under stress fire
Huh?
The rear sights are horrible and move app 1/8" to 1/4" left to right freely.
Mine don't.
The guns had a tendency to turn in your hand during recoil.
Huh?
The trigger pull wasn't bad, but the pull was long.
The double action pull is a little long I find the single action very nice.
With that said, RECOIL and Muzzle Flip were Horrific!
No worse than any light .40 although I admit it's a little snappy.

Shipwreck
March 2, 2006, 01:34 AM
I have a full size SW99 in 9mm - It is my FAV gun I own. I LOVE the SA pull at the range. I even had the slide hard chromed, and i think it made it look really sweet.

I also have a compact Walther P99 in 9mm. It is my everyday carry gun. I also love this gun as well. I also had the slide hard chromed on that gun...

I have never shot a .40, though. I would think that it might be a bit punchy in this size gun. If I were you, I would have gotten the 9.

My sights are not loose, nor have I had any problems with either gun.

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/9671/p99s10nm.jpg

Mortech
March 2, 2006, 01:57 AM
Good gun , absolutely LOUSY sights , I've broken my rear one 3 times . The first thing you should do is go to Walther's website and order their metal replacement sights for the P99 (Same weapon) and replace them ASAP

fastbolt
March 2, 2006, 04:37 AM
Decent pistols, although I happen to prefer the 99-series 9mm models whether it's a SW99 or a P99 ...

I carried a SW99 .40 (full-size) for 2-3 years as an issued pistol, and I also own a similar one. When I decided to buy a SW99 Compact I chose the 9mm version. My friend, who owns both 9mm and .40 S&W full-size SW99's, and who has fired in excess of an estimated 50,000 rounds through each, chose a SW99 Compact .40 model. He was a little surprised by how much more felt recoil and muzzle whip the Compact .40 has compared to the standard size, but has also been raving about the accuracy.

I know another fellow that has carried a SW99 Compact .40 since they were first released, and he's been very pleased with it. He also had me install Trijicon night sights on his Compact .40 S&W.

I did some range time with a SW99 Compact .40 before I chose the 9mm, and I don't regret my choice. I'm also glad I chose the TDA (DA/SA) model when it was still in normal (commercial) production because I prefer it to the QA-type SW990L models ... but then I like TDA and have spent many years training with that design. I've handled and spent some range time with both full-size and Compact SW990L pistols, and while the QA trigger is certainly smooth I just don't care for the longer trigger reset. It has a smoother trigger than my Glocks, though, and the trigger break is sudden and crisp.

I also happen to prefer my G26 9mm Glock to my G27 .40 Glock, too, FWIW. The felt recoil and muzzle whip of the SW99 Compact .40 doesn't feel much different to me than the G27's, which is one of the reasons I like my G26 so much. Because of this, I've actually fired more rounds through my G27 training for the purpose of improving my recoil management and controllability skills, which has had the added benefit of improving the same skills in regard to my G26 even more. Imagine that.;)

I agree that the stock Walther rear plastic sight really isn't one of the stronger points of the 99-series. I've never cared for plastic sights, myself, either. I like metal sights. While the 99-design rear sight base plunger normally does a good job of securing the rear sight, it is a bit "loose-feeling" compared to a press-fit rear sight base, and the steel plunger's 'ears' can potentially be broken off by a hard impact under the wrong cirumstances ... regardless of whether the sight base itself is plastic or metal. I replaced the stock sights on my personal SW99 .40 with factory (Trijicon) metal night sights, but I haven't yet gotten around to doing the same on my Compact.

I remember when one of the folks from the S&W factory said there was some early talk of redesigning the SW99 slide to incorporate a 'standard' dove-tailed metal rear sight that required press-fitting like their metal-framed sights, but it seems they didn't ever get around to it ... perhaps because of the attention on their new pistol that was being developed, and which became the M&P. Dunno.

Felt recoil can often be subjective, and different folks can certainly feel differently about such things. Different platforms, even in the same caliber, can also affect different folk's perceptions, as well.

I will offer the personal perspective that I can shoot more rounds of 9mm, and even .45 ACP, through my different pistols than I can .40 S&W in a single range training session, and 'feel' less physical effects. Firing 200-300 rounds of .40 S&W in a single training session can often result in me feeling a bit of 'magnum thumb' ... (think of slight twitching in my dominant hand's thumb, like after firing 100-200 rounds of .44 Magnum through one of my .44 revolvers) ... while shooting more than twice that amount of 9mm doesn't really cause me any discomfort, other than a sore thumb from loading magazines.;)

Of course, most folks won't ever shoot that much in one session, or often even over the course of weeks or months, so it may not mean anything to anyone else. Or, some folks may have larger, stronger hands and won't have the same feeling about it, either.

I will offer than I can shoot my 4013TSW compact longer and with more comfort, though, especially when equipped with the Hogue rubber finger-groove grips.

The Walther P99/S&W SW99 pistols are fine pistols, and there are a lot of happy owners out there. Then there are also folks that own other makes, designs & models that are happy owners, too. Different strokes.

Read the owner's manual, clean it and properly lubricate it, use high quality factory fresh ammunition, and then let us know how you like your new pistol.

LynnMassGuy
March 2, 2006, 11:16 AM
Shipwreck, the hard chrome looks beautiful. Who did it and what was the turn around time? Is it durable? I'd seriously consider doing it to my compact.

Shipwreck
March 2, 2006, 04:27 PM
Tripp Research did it - it was $80 + $12 for return shipping - but I heard he raised his price beginning Mar 1.

The finish is great, though. It has resisted holster wear much better than the stock Walther 99 finish on my compact model that I carry. It is the hardest surface you can get put onto your gun :)

Here is another pic :)

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/334/walther5011ma.jpg

LynnMassGuy
March 2, 2006, 06:18 PM
Awesome. Thankyou. I emailed them for a quote.(And your second pic is my wallpaper.:D )

SmithShooter
March 2, 2006, 07:01 PM
The S&W 99 has been pulled from the S&W website...it's been replaced by the 990L. I bought a SW99, had multiple FTE's and lousy sights, traded it for a S&W 642 with Crimson Trace grips.

arizcowboy
March 2, 2006, 07:08 PM
The compact model in .40S&W will have some muzzle flip to it.

Owen
March 2, 2006, 07:31 PM
I shoot professionally

Who are you?

Shipwreck
March 2, 2006, 08:17 PM
Smithshooter, Walther stopped selling their A/S model, which is the same as the SW99. That's why they are selling the different trigger version of the gun.

Sorry to hear that your SW99 had issues. I rented one and liked it so much I had to get one. I guess any gun ya buy can have issues. I once had a Glock 17 that was a jammomatic.

Riktoven
March 3, 2006, 06:50 PM
Walther is going to start re-importing the AS model. I don't know the timing but I assume Walther America Customer Support wouldn't lie about such a thing.

SixForSure
March 3, 2006, 06:57 PM
Who are you?If he is indeed a professional shooter, my guess would be one not sponsered by S&W:D

KaceCoyote
March 3, 2006, 07:02 PM
Which is the DA version? The one where you pull the slide back just a touch and it goes SA? Walther wont just say DA/SA or DAO, no its QA or AS.

Riktoven
March 3, 2006, 08:08 PM
The AS stands for Anti-Stress, and it represents the 3rd carry mode available to the P99.

You can have the DA pull first shot (like any other DA/SA gun), which is long and about 9lbs. To carry this way, insert magazine, rack slide and decock.

You can carry the gun in AS mode, so your first shot is a long (same length as DA) single action pull (~4lbs). TO carry this way, insert magazine and rack slide.

You can also carry it in true SA mode, but this requires manually staging the trigger from Anti Stress mode to SA. To carry this way, insert magazine, rack slide, and CAREFULLY pull the trigger back until it seats in SA mode. Better yet, don't do that, the SA trigger is short.

treebeard
March 3, 2006, 08:22 PM
I love my SW99. It seem to have a bit more recoil than my M&P.40, but it is just as accurate and almost as comfortable.:D

KaceCoyote
March 7, 2006, 12:28 AM
So the A/S has all those options of carry, and the QA is DAO? Sorry if I seem a touch dense..

treebeard
March 7, 2006, 08:18 AM
The SW99 is SA/DA. The replacement for it, which is the SW990L, is DAO. I am not sure about the P99. There is a guy that put together an excellent FAQ on the P99, which also applies to the SW99 in some ways. Here is the link to the FAQ:http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/

fastbolt
March 7, 2006, 01:43 PM
The SW99/990/QA/990L manual will answer questions about the various model variations, especially starting on pg 16 ...
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/SW99.pdf

shield20
March 7, 2006, 01:58 PM
The QA is DAO with the decocker that the 990L lacks. I love the trigger on mine, and prefer that over the other styles. Striker is partially cocked when the slide is racked (or partially racked even), and finished and released with trigger pull. Very little play (1/8" or so), no slop - a bit longer then say a 1911, but that is OK with me on a gun with no active safeties. There is NO re-strike capability on the QA or 990L.

KaceCoyote
March 7, 2006, 02:25 PM
Would it be so impossible for them to just give us a SA/DA with an exposed hammer? Jeebus.

Shipwreck
March 7, 2006, 04:32 PM
If U want that - buy a different gun - Go buy a Sig Pro or a Beretta PX4 - I like the lack of hammer, myself.

bpisler
March 7, 2006, 04:54 PM
I like my SW99C,no failures or other
problems in the first 2500 rounds.I
don't care much for the factory sights
but they're ok for now.I never noticed
the long D/A trigger pull bit i shoot
revolvers 80% of the time.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 99" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!