SCOTUS looks at Tx redistricting.

PDA

bg
March 1, 2006, 04:23 PM
This has gone to the Supremes. They will decide if the
redistricting plan brought on a few yrs back is legal.

If they find it ISN'T legal, then they better look at California
as well, because Grey Davis when "Gov" also did
something like this, allowing the Democrats the majority of
the districts..>
http://www.yahoo.com/s/276183

If you enjoyed reading about "SCOTUS looks at Tx redistricting." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ElTacoGrande
March 1, 2006, 04:48 PM
I heartily invite them to come on out to California and take a look into that! We have districts that span three counties. We have districts that are 100 yards wide at points. In our past couple of state races, not ONE SEAT OUT OF ALMOST 200 changed parties in the election.

So please, justices, come on over to our beautiful state, bring some pencils and maps and draw us some new districts!

Standing Wolf
March 1, 2006, 08:05 PM
So please, justices, come on over to our beautiful state, bring some pencils and maps and draw us some new districts!

Frankly, I'd say it sounds like a task for Californians. The federal government not only can't, but shouldn't solve all state problems.

Hollowdweller
March 1, 2006, 08:11 PM
This redistricting crap is a major racket.

It's always been around but the GOP have turned it into a fine art.

I think the whole country should be redistricted based on some kind of grid or something and then they KEEP IT THAT WAY

Pilgrim
March 1, 2006, 11:33 PM

Looks like it has been around long before the Republican Party was formed.

Pilgrim

Elbridge Gerry (July 17, 1744 November 23, 1814) was an American politician, a member of the Democratic-Republican Party. He was the fifth Vice President of the United States, serving under James Madison, from March 4, 1813 until his death. He was the second Vice President to die in office; the first to have died in office was Gerry's immediate predecessor, George Clinton, who served under Thomas Jefferson and James Madison.

Gerry was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation. He later became governor of Massachusetts. He is most famous for being the namesake of the art of gerrymandering a process by which electoral districts are drawn with the aim of aiding the party in power.

longhorngunman
March 2, 2006, 08:36 AM
Well of course there's a problem. The Republicans did the redistrictiing. They should know that only Democrats get to do this!:neener: Kinda funny that the Rat's controlled this state for years and had no problem doing whatever, but now that their in the minority they are screaming and hollering. They better get used to it here, There's a good chance that their governoral candidate will come in fourth here!:D

RealGun
March 2, 2006, 09:15 AM
What are the ways this could affect gun owners?

beerslurpy
March 2, 2006, 10:01 AM
Oral arguments didnt really indicate much inclination to change Texas. They mentioned that Texas is mostly republican but that it had been judicially apportioned to give a democratic majority. The legislature fixed that and beyond some problems with latino districts, they didnt really seem hostile to the Delay map.

ArmedBear
March 4, 2006, 12:57 AM
RealGun-

This decision could have an enormous positive impact on gun rights in California, but only if several ducks lined up in a row the right way.

I don't know about Texas. I can't imagine that Texas Demonrats are as anti-gun as California tie-dyed statist pigs are.

Jeff White
March 4, 2006, 05:43 AM
When the democrats are in power in the state legislature they will redraw the map to put the republicans out. It's the way things are done. I doubt if SCOTUS will change it.

Of course the fair way to do it would be a constitutional amendment that specified that congressional districts started in the upper left hand corner of the state and were neat rectangles that took in the population required for a congressional district. But since the politicians would have to write and pass such an amendment and pass it on to the states, it's not likely to happen.

Both parties are interested in keeping the system the way it is.

Jeff

Bartholomew Roberts
March 4, 2006, 12:06 PM

The Democrats had drawn the districts in such a biased fashion that even in 2000 when you couldn't find a Texas democrat outside of a law office, Texans were still sending more Democrats to the House of Representatives (17 IIRC) than Republicans (15 IIRC).

It was only after Republicans managed to win the Texas House in spite of this that redistricting was done to make the state look somewhat the way it had been voting for the last 20 years.

This is one reason Tom Delay is taking such heat. He is directly responsible for the push for redistricting and his PAC funded most of the efforts to win the Texas House.

Deavis
March 4, 2006, 02:59 PM
A key Supreme Court justice said Wednesday that Texas Republicans appeared to hurt minority voters when they redrew congressional boundaries that helped the GOP entrench its power in Congress.

Texas Republicans shifted congressional district boundaries enough in 2003 that 8 million people including large blocks of Hispanics were placed in new districts, represented by different U.S. House members, justices were told.

Kennedy, a centrist swing voter, focused his concerns on how the shift affected Hispanics in South Texas. "It seems to me that is an affront and an insult," he said.

I love how uninformed Kenney is about Texas and how ironic his statements are. Just spew out the party line about minorities when Texas is no longer a majority white/anglo state.

An estimated 11.3 million Texans -- 50.2 percent of the state's population of 22.5 million in July 2004 -- were Hispanic, black, American Indian, Asian or Pacific islander, according to the Census Bureau report being released today. The other majority-minority states are New Mexico, California and Hawaii.

BigFatKen
March 4, 2006, 03:24 PM
When I lived in Bradenton, FL, the Manatee River was and is a natural boundry. Only a fool trys to cross the bridge in rush hour and the population has doubled since 1999. It took me 75 minutes to get to the gun shows at the Manatee County Autotorium, when there was a show but ony 20 minutes about 10am weekdays. People on the south side loathed crosssing the bridge to the north.

However, when I went to a political meeting, I saw that the County districts were color coded on a map. There was this big yellow patch on the north side of the river in the city of Palmetto and another smaller one on the south side of the river in Bradenton. The only thing in common was a minority community on both sides of the river. This makes no sense as the councilman for this district has to fight for his district while trying to put repairs etc. in two different cities.

When the State map was pulled out, it showed how a Congressional "dristrict" was hundreds of miles long and followed the I highway system for many miles. Usually it was the width of the highway where zero people lived for a dozen miles, then pick up a minority area for a few square miles, then move on.

There is no sense except to keep this minority with an unusally large voting block.

If you enjoyed reading about "SCOTUS looks at Tx redistricting." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!