Baikal sxs and steel shot

PDA

rfcjr
March 1, 2006, 07:28 PM
I purchased a used 12 gauge SXS Baikal shotgun a year or so ago. Can anyone tell me how one might determine whether it can be used with steel shot?

If you enjoyed reading about "Baikal sxs and steel shot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rpriestlyjr
March 1, 2006, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't see why not.
Modern steels are used nowadays in the barrels so you should be o.k.
BTW, what is it choked at?
If the barrels are MOD, you'll have no problems/issues at all.
It's been known that steel shot through a Full choke can give a bad pattern, and the older guns have softer steel barrels, which could cause a bit of damage.
But it is just a Baikal, don't worry about it.

ArmedBear
March 1, 2006, 11:55 PM
AFAIK they have chrome-lined bores and are steel shot rated. I don't think the technical specs have changed since Remington re-badged them a year ago. Some aesthetic stuff is all they messed with (e.g. nickel vs. blue receiver on a given model).

That would suggest that IC and Cylinder screw-ins are okay with steel. If they're fixed barrels, steel is probably okay with whatever they're choked at.

The only trouble I've heard of with a Baikal has been blown-out choke tubes. It was the chokes, not the barrels. Some aftermarket chokes (Carlson? I forget what kind he said) fixed the problem.

See these specs: http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/SPR_models/

Onmilo
March 2, 2006, 09:13 AM
Baikal certifies the barrels as steel shot acceptable but they do not certify the choke tubes as such.

To correct this you can buy Colonial extended steel shot tubes and use them in your Baikal.
These tubes extend about one and a half inches from the muzzle of the gun and the choke constriction is away from the muzzle.
As the shot passes the threaded tube area of the barrel it is passing through essentially, a cylinder bore.

You can buy these tubes from Brownells, about $25 bucks each and they are available in a number of different steel shot rated choke constrictions. HTH

If you enjoyed reading about "Baikal sxs and steel shot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!