shooting and smoking pot!!!

PDA

SSN Vet
March 2, 2006, 11:05 AM
Pulled this off of the local NH newspaper....

Sounds like this guy's a real whack job....I hope they put him away for a very long time. Though I doubt a 2nd degree murder conviction gets much more time served than tax evasion.
----------------------------------------------------

Thursday, March 2, 2006
Court documents reveal details of Alstead shooting

KEENE, N.H. (AP) A trip into the woods by three friends to do some shooting and smoking marijuana last month led to a discussion about God and the death of one of them, according to court files unsealed Wednesday.

Albert Sheehan, 36, is charged in the death of Dennis Hutchins, 28, on Feb. 19. Both lived in Marlborough.

Court files show prosecutors believe the shooting was unprovoked, with much of the details provided by a third friend who witnessed the shooting in Alstead and ran for his life.

According to the documents Sheehan, Hutchins and Scott Goodell, of Alstead, planned to smoke marijuana and shoot Hutchins' .22-caliber rifle at trees and stumps.

Goodell told investigators they had been "talking about God and how people like to play God" when he heard a shot and saw Hutchins fall to the ground, bleeding from the head.

The investigators said in the affidavit that Goodell ran from Sheehan, who "is now chasing him, pointing the rifle at him."

Goodell hid behind a tree and pleaded for his life and when the rifle jammed, he "decides to rush Sheehan in an attempt to take the rifle away." After a struggle, Sheehan gave Goodell the rifle and asked Goodell to shoot him, according to the documents.

Goodell told police he fled to a nearby house and called 911. Sheehan, meanwhile, ran to another house and asked a stranger for a hug and told him he shot his best friend.

When police questioned Sheehan, he replied, "I'm whacked. I had no idea of what I was doing," according to the affidavit.

Sheehan has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder, one for each theory about the crime; one that the shooting was intentional, the other that Sheehan was reckless and indifferent.

On Wednesday he was ordered held without bail.

If you enjoyed reading about "shooting and smoking pot!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PlayboyPenguin
March 2, 2006, 11:10 AM
I am betting that marijuana was only a symptom of this guys problems. Hope they take him down hard.

Biker
March 2, 2006, 11:14 AM
I'm guessing that the guy just wants to use being buzzed as part of his defense.
Biker

DirtyBrad
March 2, 2006, 11:16 AM
"Sheehan has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder, one for each theory about the crime"

Say what?

PinnedAndRecessed
March 2, 2006, 11:19 AM
I had no idea of what I was doing,

He didn't know the difference between right and wrong?

Ok. Then when we strap him into the electric chair, tell him it's a ride at Disney. He won't know the difference.

Lou629
March 2, 2006, 11:31 AM
As much as it might not be 'PC' to say this on a pro-gun forum, there are, unfortunately, all too many people out there who have no business owning or handling a firearm whatsoever, second amendment or not. This guy and his actions would personify my notion of that. What an *********.

Indy7373
March 2, 2006, 11:32 AM
I had no idea of what I was doing,

Now, I have never used mary jane, so I don't know, but can it really cloud someones judgement to this extent? I always thought, (and heard, mostly from my brother) that Marijuana is more likely to pacify than anger. Hmm

eta

Also, give you the massive munchies, if my brothers binges were any indication.

Justin
March 2, 2006, 11:59 AM
I'll bet they were listening to that dastardly Jazz music, too.

Janitor
March 2, 2006, 12:04 PM
I'll bet they were listening to that dastardly Jazz music, too.
D##n beatniks!

merk
March 2, 2006, 12:04 PM
I bet the marijuana had nothing to do with him going berserk. Im willing to bet he has some kind of mental problem also.

They need to fry him.

middy
March 2, 2006, 12:10 PM
Now, I have never used mary jane, so I don't know, but can it really cloud someones judgement to this extent? I always thought, (and heard, mostly from my brother) that Marijuana is more likely to pacify than anger. Hmm

eta

Also, give you the massive munchies, if my brothers binges were any indication.

Assuming a normal brain, this is correct. However, any psychotropic drug can exacerbate the symptoms of the mentally ill.

This guy is a nutjob.

BigRobT
March 2, 2006, 12:12 PM
Too bad, as I believe that actual pot is no worse for one than a few drinks, at least mentally. In today's society, all too often seeking a "better high", pot is often laced with other substances that could cause sudden and outrageous actions. Regardless, when under the influence of ANY substance, it's not exactly a good idea to be messing around with firearms.

CAS700850
March 2, 2006, 12:18 PM
""Sheehan has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder, one for each theory about the crime"

Say what?"

Sometimes a prosecutor will see a case where a person commits one offense, which actually violates two versions of the same statute. For example, in Ohio, a drunk driver that hits another vehicle and kills someone has committed one crime, but can properly be charged with both Aggravated Vehicular Homicide and Involuntary Manslaughter. Another example, colser to what we see here, is if you hit someone with a ball bat, causeing serious injuries. In Ohio, you could be charged with two counts of Felonious Assault, one for causing injury with a deadly weapon, and one for causing serious physical harm by any means. What this does is allow the prosecutor to present evidence on both theories, and the jury can consider both for a guilt finding. If the jury finds the defendnat guilty of both counts/theories, the Prosecutor then dismisses one of the two, and the Defendant is sentenced on one count.

It's a way for a prosecutor to cover his backside, so that if the evidence would fall apart under one theory, s/he can always fall back on the second theory.

Biker
March 2, 2006, 12:19 PM
I'm guessin' that the dead guy wouldn't share his Doritos.
Biker

SSN Vet
March 2, 2006, 12:44 PM
Biker.....you crack me up.....:)

The first news article on this guy...befor any details came out....told the neigbors story.....

The shooter walks out of the woods and comes up to this guy, who's just out on the road checking his mail or something.....walks up to him like they're best freinds and says "I just shot my freind in the head....will you give me a hug"

I think a pop in the nose would be more appropriate.

Sindawe
March 2, 2006, 12:59 PM
I too doubt the MJ was the cause of this fools problems, but may have exacerbated it.

Like alcohol, MJ should only be consumed AFTER you're done shooting for the day.

Biker, you are such a cad. :neener:

Biker
March 2, 2006, 01:04 PM
I've been called "bad" and a "cad"!

I cannot live with this shame. I shall now have to commit seppuku with a dull, rusty eta knife!:neener:

Biker

torpid
March 2, 2006, 01:09 PM
Pot, schmott.
"Reefer Madness" is so 20th century. :rolleyes:

C'mon now folks... there's gotta be some way we can manage to blame videogames for this!

:p

Taurus 66
March 2, 2006, 01:59 PM
You mean video games and the gun manufacturer. :rolleyes:

Optical Serenity
March 2, 2006, 02:05 PM
He didn't know the difference between right and wrong?

Ok. Then when we strap him into the electric chair, tell him it's a ride at Disney. He won't know the difference.

+1 Thats just great. I say anyone who uses that excuse should be made into human french fry. :)

MrTwigg
March 2, 2006, 02:05 PM
Sheehan has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder, one for each theory about the crime; one that the shooting was intentional, the other that Sheehan was reckless and indifferent.

Execute him twice. :neener:

Optical Serenity
March 2, 2006, 02:06 PM
Indeed. This guy seems like a total loser.

Again, I'm one of those who has never smoked marijuana and never will.

El Tejon
March 2, 2006, 02:07 PM
O.K., someone here *ahem, Biker!* owes me a new telephone for the herbal orange tea I just spewed over my old one!:evil:

hkmp5g17
March 2, 2006, 02:12 PM
With apologies to Afroman-

"I was going to remove the mag- but I was high! I was gonna clear that chamber too-but I was high! Just blew off my big toe and know why-because I was high-because I was high-because I was high!"

" I wasn't gonna buy a Lorcin- but I was high! Woulda been better off with a broomstick- but I was high! I'm in in a gunfight with a paperweight- and I know why- Because I was high- Because I was high- because i was high!"

"Wasn't gonna go to WalMart- but I was high" Shouldn't have shot the Pepsi display- but I was high" "I'm laying tased in a puddle of pee- and I know why! Because I was high, because I was high, because I was high!:D

Disclaimer- nothing i say should ever betaken seriously:evil:

j grimes
March 2, 2006, 02:15 PM
never go out shooting with just one gun!
:rolleyes:

gulogulo1970
March 2, 2006, 02:22 PM
I've seen people drink and get mean and nasty and pick fights.

I have yet to see a person smoking pot and attack anything other than junk food.

This guy is just using it as a defense. It won't work, IMO.

TequilaMockingbird
March 2, 2006, 02:24 PM
Yet another marijuana-related death...:rolleyes:

SLCDave
March 2, 2006, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Optical Serenety:

Indeed. This guy seems like a total loser.

Again, I'm one of those who has never smoked marijuana and never will.

After tasting your brownies, I believe you...:neener:

Carl N. Brown
March 2, 2006, 04:49 PM
Well, I have heard that a drunk driver is four times as likely
to have an accident as a sober driver, and a pot stoned
driver is twice as likely to have an accident as a sober driver,
so neither should be used while operating a vehicle or
handling guns.

The problem I see is a few of the chronic pot heads are self
medicating for bipolar manic-depressive syndrome.

I have known people who drank alcohol who were mellow when
high and people who smoked pot who were nasty SOBs or Bs
when high. Most of them were mellow or nasty B4 they were high.

Zero_DgZ
March 2, 2006, 05:00 PM
Balls.

The pot wouldn't have made him do anything like that. He must have been a nutjob or had something wrong with him in the first place.

The only way I see this going is giving ammo to the anti-gunners and the anti-druggies. Just what everyone needs...

I know a lot of smokers. Most of them are good guys, and a lot of them are shooters, too. They're responsible guys, and the pot never makes them any less responsible.

Garbage in, garbage out, I say.

ball3006
March 2, 2006, 05:13 PM
was something else beside a little mary jane sampled there.........chris3

nucstl1
March 2, 2006, 08:11 PM
It's GW's fault!

Ryder
March 2, 2006, 08:25 PM
Sounds like he shot the first guy out of curiosity. Wouldn't be the first time someone killed just to see what it was like. Not much of a motive in my book. The second guy is lucky the killer was too high to clear that jam!

If you enjoyed reading about "shooting and smoking pot!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!