Home of the Kennedy's

PDA

SSN Vet
March 2, 2006, 11:49 AM
I'm starting to understand why people in Maine and New Hampshire call them Mass-holes.

Thursday, March 2, 2006
Officials unveil new billboard aimed at stopping gun trafficking

BRANDIE M. JEFFERSON

Associated Press Writer

BOSTON (AP) If you've taken the Massachusetts Turnpike into Boston, you've seen the billboard. It's 250 feet long, behind Fenway Park and recently it has welcomed thousands of people to Massachusetts by telling them they're more likely to live here.

More likely to live, according to advocate John Rosenthal, than die the victim of gun violence.

Rosenthal, the founder of Stop Handgun Violence, was joined Wednesday by Mayor Thomas Menino and law enforcement officials from Boston and Springfield to unveil a new message: "Stop Traffic Background Checks Save Lives" aimed bringing attention to what he calls lax laws in 32 other states.

Four of those states that Rosenthal contends provide the highest number of guns to Massachusetts are named on the billboard as New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont and Georgia.

No matter what Massachusetts does, he said at a press conference Wednesday, "we're going to see this dangerous trend in gun violence continue for many more years until we have a more reasonable gun policy."

He said a reasonable policy would include mandatory background checks on private sales of guns. Massachusetts already mandates such checks, but the four states he points out do not.

He would also like to see a federal policy to enforce mandatory gun training on purchase, and allow the FBI to keep gun sales records available for local law enforcement.

Jim Wallace, executive director of the local National Rifle Association affiliate, said in an interview that Massachusetts has the strictest handgun laws in the country. He said the fact that Stop the Violence is still worried about the rate of handgun violence in the state is "admitting that handgun laws aren't working."

So far this year, Boston has already had more than twice the nonfatal shootings as this time last year, and two more homicides. All this while the murder rate, nationally, drops.

One thing that the NRA and Menino agree on is that the lack of federal funding for neighborhood programs such as Neighborhood Watch and federal Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) grants hurts law enforcement.

"We need to put more money into homeland security," Menino said, adding "or should I say, 'neighborhood security."'

At the press conference, members of the Springfield Police Department stood next to a table with thirty guns spread out, which they said is a testament to what they face in the streets every day.

Rosenthal co-founded Stop Handgun Violence with Michael Kennedy in 1995 when, he said, "I realized that 15 kids under the age of 19 died every day" from gun violence. He bought the billboard and has used it since as a memorial to those who have been killed by guns by showing their faces to the millions of cars that passed by every month.

If you enjoyed reading about "Home of the Kennedy's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boofus
March 2, 2006, 11:57 AM
If they are so worried about Mass-holes and New Dorkers illegally going to other states and purchasing guns, then pass state laws in the surrounding states to make it legal to shoot anyone from MA or NY on sight.

That will keep the gun traffickers from going out of state to buy weapons and especially keep the putrid liberal politicians from the armpit of America out of the uncontaminated states. That would stop gun trafficking without loss of rights in the surrounding states, hell they even GAIN a right to waste liberals.

armoredman
March 2, 2006, 12:27 PM
Hey, stop "illegals", build a WALL!!! Mass-holes can live huddled behind thier thick wall, and the rest of us can get on with out lives. Next, New Jersey...

mbt2001
March 2, 2006, 12:37 PM
I always here people talk about "back ground checks". AS far as I know, everyone does back ground checks. It is federal law. *** are they talking about??

Dems always say whatever they want WITHOUT qualification... It is annoying and aides in all of these crazy statistics and research that is propagated when gun issues are debated.

Standing Wolf
March 2, 2006, 05:39 PM
...we're going to see this dangerous trend in gun violence continue for many more years until we have a more reasonable gun policy.

Maybe Taxachussets should try a more reasonable criminal control policy.

Ooops. Wait. Sorry. I overlooked the fact that one of that state's U.S. senators is a murderer who was never so much as brought to trial, the other a congenital liar.

Bob F.
March 2, 2006, 06:48 PM
ALWAYS blame somebody else! DC blames WV. What crap and very warpped thinking!

Bob F.
March 2, 2006, 06:50 PM
ALWAYS blame somebody else! DC blames WV. What crap and very warpped thinking!

"I'd rather hunt with Dick Cheney than ride with Chappequidic (sp?) Ted!!"

Devonai
March 2, 2006, 08:13 PM
The statistic that Rosenthal used as a basis for that billboard has already been thoroughly debunked, making the message a direct and unambiguous lie. Do you think that the Globe will cover that?

fish2xs
March 3, 2006, 12:15 PM
>>"We need to put more money into homeland security," Menino said, adding "or should I say, 'neighborhood security."'

Translation: "We need more money for the bloated useless federal programs... or should I say bloated useless local programs."

In reality, I'm sure what Mumbles Menino said was "Ne need put mo money home urity - or shsay nayhood urity"

For those of you lucky enough not to be in the People's Republic, Menino is the most inarticulate lump you ever did hear. A local talk radio host has a site dedicated to his incoherent rants:

http://mumblesmenino.us/

Enjoy!

Lonestar.45
March 3, 2006, 12:18 PM
"We need to put more money into homeland security," Menino said, adding "or should I say, 'neighborhood security."'

Exactly. In my mind, we should do as the Swiss do and issue a fully automatic rifle to every household and require training with the weapon once a year. That would go a LOT further towards helping "homeland security" or "neighborhood security" than any other federal program.

secamp32
March 3, 2006, 12:28 PM
We need more midnight basketball to get these kids off the streets!

Erinyes
March 3, 2006, 02:23 PM
Is it wrong that Georgia's mention on that billboard brings a wide grin to my face? :scrutiny:

:D

acdodd
March 3, 2006, 03:44 PM
MBT2001
"I always here people talk about "back ground checks". AS far as I know, everyone does back ground checks. It is federal law. *** are they talking about??"

Back ground checks are not required in Washington state for private sellers.
I buy guns from private individuals at gun shows and elsewhere and the only paper involved is cash money.
I prefer it that way. My wife doesn't even know what I have locked in the safe.
AC

Mongo the Mutterer
March 3, 2006, 04:03 PM
More importantly ... "home of the Kennedy's"...

I'm still waiting for the Feds to arrest fat Teddy for violating Mary Jo Kopechne's civil rights.

That's what they did in Mississippi when the locals wouldn't convict the Klansmen who killed the three civil rights workers.

I'd buy a seat to watch that trial.... bring popcorn too...

outofbattery
March 3, 2006, 04:36 PM
As a MA gunowner what I'm glad about is the final realization that _MORE BS GUNLAWS IN MA ARE NOT GOING TO BE THE ANSWER TO CRIME_.I keep expecting to get royally spanked in the name of "doing something for the children" as if they can't do anything about the guns coming in from other states,they'll just take it out on us:mad:

Is it wrong that Georgia's mention on that billboard brings a wide grin to my face?

Is there a particular reason to be proud that criminals like to buy guns in your state to sell other places?

Mongo the Mutterer
March 3, 2006, 05:17 PM
Geez do those Georgia guns smell like peaches??? Seems like a long way to go from baaastan to get a gun...

outofbattery
March 3, 2006, 05:25 PM
Long way yes,but profitable if you can drive down,stock up on a bunch of Lorcins and Brycos for $125 each ( hey,strawbuyers have to make a living too) then sell them in Boston for $250 a pop.

LooseGrouper
March 3, 2006, 07:49 PM
Erinyes

Being originally from NW GA, I also had a brief little guilty twinge of pride. Not from the fact that my home state is supplying criminals, but from the fact that my state manages to really get under the skin of some antis.

outofbattery

Sorry you and those like minded in your area are bearing the brunt of this stupidity.

Now as to not requiring background checks for private sales, does that really contribute to illegal interstate trafficing of firearms? I would think such purchases would be too "onesy twosey" to make much of an impact, or to be profitable. I think it's more likely that "buyers" in MA have contacts who can legal purchase in GA, and the whole distribution system is well developed.

My hypothesis is that GA is a prime source because guns are typically cheaper there than in most places. If that is correct, I would hope no one on this forum would argue that inexpensive guns are bad. That would be sad.

Am I way off base here? Is there something I'm missing about GA's laws on bulk purchases that makes it more attractive?

LG

dm1333
March 4, 2006, 11:48 PM
As a proud Connecticut Yankee my solution is to move Connecticut north of Massachusetts. During the move up 91 we can drop off the non gun types in Mass and then kick Mass out of New England. A good friend of mine is a M???????, can't wait till he sees this. Go Huskies, Pat.:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Home of the Kennedy's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!