Ithaca 37 pictures. Help me decide to blue or duracoat

PDA

Lennyjoe
March 3, 2006, 02:30 PM
Here's the photos of the 37 I picked up for $175. I'm debating on either having this re-blued or duracoat. I'm gonna use this for a turkey gun and am concerned with blueing over duracoat/camo painting.

So, what would you do?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p0c9e3f1cbc0fb7184264cbdaeea9978d/eff9502b.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p8652e9e4fe04b6e38fbac52253e7006a/eff95021.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p639eb10bfdd11806fa2fd1287d7e8ddb/eff95019.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p20724058dc7bc9da2e940b1f8d20b785/eff95013.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Ithaca 37 pictures. Help me decide to blue or duracoat" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
riverdog
March 3, 2006, 04:25 PM
There are probably a lot of guys who will always go back to blue for a refinish. Me, I go pure function. The only 870 I've had refinished was my first 870M and I had it parkerized. This was done when I lived on the beach in Virginia Beach and it made sense. The parkerizing has held up quite well.

Look at what you need the finish to do and if Duracoat is the answer to your requirements, go for it. At the very least for turkey I'd be bead/sand blasting the gloss finish to reduce reflections. Duracoat definitely has a good price point and it looks like you can do it yourself.

Lennyjoe
March 3, 2006, 05:37 PM
www.rmpgunworks.com quoted me $110 + return shipping for a duracoat camo paint job. I'm thinking thats the best route for me. I purchased this gun to hunt turkey and upland birds so it will get plenty of field use. If it was going into the rack for a show piece then I'd have it re-blued.

riverdog
March 3, 2006, 05:56 PM
Check Lauer Custom Weaponry (http://www.lauerweaponry.com/)

Preacherman
March 3, 2006, 10:42 PM
Hmmm... for $110, plus shipping in two directions, I could buy a heck of a lot of cans of camo paint! I'm afraid that being something of a cheapskate, and given that this shotgun is already well-worn, and given that it'll be used for the sort of hunting where a glossy finish is the last thing you want, I'd camo-paint the whole thing myself. About $2.99 a can for flat camo colors at Wal-Mart: four cans (black, khaki, OD, loam/dark brown) comes to about $12, and an hour or so of my time (plus a bit of hard work de-greasing and cleaning everything, and masking the bolt, trigger group and muzzle). The camo job should hold up fine for several months, and if it needs renewing next season, dig the paint cans out of the cupboard and have at it.

Lennyjoe
March 4, 2006, 01:02 AM
I've got Burchwood Casey blue and rust remover and some steel wool standing by.

I plan on stripping the blueing off completely this weekend and giving her a paint job. Might as well save the bucks and do it myself. What the heck, might come out ok.

ArmedBear
March 4, 2006, 01:03 AM
That sounds like a lot of work, Preacherman.

Wal-Mart also has duct tape in Realtree Hardwoods or Mossy Oak Break Up or the like. A roll or two of that, some brake cleaner to degrease, a razor blade and 5-10 minutes and voila! turkey gun!:p

hoghunting
March 4, 2006, 01:16 AM
Brownells sells cans of baking laquer and a teflon/moly finish. You clean the gun and spray on the finish. Let it dry, then bake it in the oven for about 30 minutes. It is one tough finish. One can is about $20, but after it is baked on, you have to work at screwing up the finish.

You can call and talk to one of their techs: 1-800-741-0015 or check their site www.brownells.com

usp_fan
March 4, 2006, 09:50 AM
Go with the bake on finish. It is durable and easy to clean and keep rust free. I would look into applying it yourself. It's very easy and can save you a lot of money.

If your time is more valuable, $110 is fair for an entire long gun to be stripped, sandblasted, parkerized or k-phos'ed, painted, baked, and reassembled.

I wish I could find a M-37 for that price around here.

--usp_fan

brentwal
March 4, 2006, 01:31 PM
If it's for turkey, go with the DuraCoat.

Hawken50
March 13, 2006, 12:55 AM
Preacher man-

i did just that yesterday with my 1300. rustoleum extra flat od green on the barrel, reciever, and tube mag. it looks pretty good and even if it's not very durable, i've still got half a can leftover to do it again.

Airborne Falcon
March 15, 2006, 01:38 PM
You are going to need to put a black synthetic buttstock and forend on that shotgun ... so why don't you sell me the furniture and I will put it to go use on one of my rebuilds in my collection?

BTW, I agree, the Brownell's baked on coating is fine for what you are looking for.

Couple of quick questions. How many digits in the serial number of that shotgun? Do they start with something like 351xxxxxx or something like that? Does it have a high-viz front sight? Where is the serial number located on that shotgun?

Anyway, the baked on finish is the way for you to go IMHO.

Russ

romulus
March 19, 2006, 11:37 AM
Camo painting or spraying and baking the venerable Thirty-Seven strikes as being a bit on the heretical side...I'd re-blue it, if anything at all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ithaca 37 pictures. Help me decide to blue or duracoat" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!