I Just Bought My First Gun!

PDA

MedGrl
March 3, 2006, 11:51 PM
So this evening my friend/gun mentor Only1asterisk and i went gun shopping. I left the store with a Remington 870 express youth. It is 20 gauge with a 13.5" LOP. :cool: We are going to shoot skeet on sunday so I'll get to try it out then. I'll do a range report after...if i can get my hands on a digital camera there might even be pictures:D

Edit: 1* pointed out that my LOP is closer to 13"...oh well...it fits good

If you enjoyed reading about "I Just Bought My First Gun!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
huntsman
March 4, 2006, 12:46 AM
sweeeet, good gun to start with

We are going to shoot skeet on sunday so I'll get to try it out then.

yea them skeets can be fun to shoot, but we never did find a good way to cook-em ;)

IDriveB5
March 4, 2006, 02:20 AM
congrats! you couldnt have gotten a better gun.

my first shotgun was an 870 also. have fun with it.

only1asterisk
March 4, 2006, 08:30 AM
Yep, we're going to that skeet club (where they shoot saucers from out the air to practice). I haven't kilt a skeet yet, but they has to better eating than them golf eggs.

Actually, we're going to shoot some wobble and I do well enough on my first round I may leave you ladies to it and have a go at the Clays course.

I think your LOP is actually closer to 13". I'm glad you decided to buy your own shotgun as you wouldn't have shot any of mine with any comfort.

David

Dave McCracken
March 4, 2006, 10:45 AM
Good choice. A couple things....

Fiocchi makes a light 20 gauge load. Winchester's Feather load in 20 ga is good for a new shooter also but it's not common. These make lots more sense than heavy stuff.

We have the very same model here for the kids. With heavy loads, it's a thumper. With the Fiocchis, it's a teddy bear.

Bull Run has a very nice Wobble setup. Have fun....

Hemicuda
March 5, 2006, 07:26 PM
HArd to beat a Remington 870... that is the exact gun i am going to get for my GF... she wants a skeet/HD gun, in 20 GA... FINE weapon...

Remember, MedGrl, BA/UU/R...

Preacherman
March 5, 2006, 08:15 PM
Suggestion: If yours doesn't have the Remington R3 (http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun_parts/r3_recoil_pad.asp) recoil pad, get one! Recoil can be stout with a shorter, ligher gun like yours, and this pad will help cut it as much as possible. The R3 is a version of the Limbsaver (http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/firearms/precfit.aspx), so you can also get one of those sized to fit your stock.

1911JMB
March 5, 2006, 08:33 PM
13" lenght of pull is ideal if you ask me. I am 6 feet even, and in order to get a 13" lop on my 12 gauge 870 (also my first gun, and the ideal gun for a first) I simply removed my recoil pad and covered the end with hockey tape. The recoil now pretty much =:what:, but its well worth it because I just think 14 inches is way too big. It reduces maneuverability to have a horrendously long stock on a shotgun. On the other hand, a big stock is of course great on a non-carbine rifle where you need to aim accurately more than you need to move.

MedGrl
March 6, 2006, 01:30 AM
I got pictures while i was at the skeet/trap range today...once i get them onto my computer I'll post them and give a range report...would the range report go here or in general gun disscussions?

Preacherman
March 6, 2006, 01:43 AM
If it's a shotgun range report, stick it in Shotguns. Come on, come on, your public is waiting! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "I Just Bought My First Gun!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!