AN/PEQ-2

PDA

Mumbles_45
March 4, 2006, 03:24 AM
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to buy AN/PEQ-2s? I'm guessing no, as I was at Insight Technology's website and they had nothing on it (that I could find) and I havent seen them for sale anywhere, ever (but then I really haven't been looking for them either). Is this because they are in some way illegal or restricted, or just because there is no market for them? Not that I could afford one even if they were available.

If you enjoyed reading about "AN/PEQ-2" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeff White
March 4, 2006, 04:06 AM
Insights Technology won't sell you one. They aren't illegal to possess and there are some out there in private hands, but IR lasers are not often sold to the public. If you find one on the secondary market, it's most likely stolen govt. property.

Jeff

PvtPyle
March 4, 2006, 05:40 PM
The FDA regulates lasers, and they do not have licenses for re-sellers or non-government end users. I can make machineguns and suppressors under this licenses,l and under the new one will be able to make a nuclear weapon (providing I could get the NRC to sign off on the fissionable material), but I can't buy a stupid laser because the food and drug administration doesn't think I can use it in a safe manner......:banghead:

There are other ways to get them. I could broker a deal between a local agency and make commission from it. Then, a year or two later sell them the new version, take the old units as credit towards the new ones. That way the agency gets a better deal and we get IR aiming devices. It does not work that way very often, but it does happen.

On that note, due to the demand, we are going to try to get some shelles from Insight without the IR laser, and insert the visible versions. And if they don't want to play ball, there are other companies out there that we talked to at the SHOT Show who do want to play ball.

Chris Rhines
March 4, 2006, 06:11 PM
It's probably worth noting that IR lasers are easily and cheaply available to the general public - just not IR lasers configured as weapon sights.

http://www.lasermate.com/GRImodule.htm

I had an AN/PEQ-2 in the shop briefly, but since it didn't belong to me, I couldn't tear it apart to see what size laser module it accepts. Maybe someday.

- Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "AN/PEQ-2" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!