Anybody watch the "Sharpe's" movie series?

PDA

Bigjake
March 4, 2006, 05:01 PM
Just saw these on IMDB. stars that guy that was in Equilibrium and LOTR. looks rather interesting, and i was wondering if anybody else has a take on it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108108/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000293/

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody watch the "Sharpe's" movie series?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tailgunner
March 4, 2006, 05:21 PM
Excellent adaptation of the books, the best I've seen since the all creatures great and small series.

Stickjockey
March 4, 2006, 05:30 PM
...stars that guy that was in Equilibrium and LOTR.

Sean Bean.

Seen bits of it; not a complete show yet. Good stuff.

Hkmp5sd
March 4, 2006, 05:42 PM
I think the movies are excellent. Read the books first, however. IIRC, there are 20 books in the series. The movies tend to combine several books into one movie. Still, they are better than average.

The same can be said for C.S. Forester's "Horatio Hornblower" series of books and the movies about then produced by A&E.

MacPelto
March 4, 2006, 06:28 PM
Just finished the series last night. Loved it.

Netflix is your friend!

Mac

Jim Watson
March 4, 2006, 06:33 PM
Read 'em all, watched 'em all.
Hornblower, too.
Best vid adaptation of books I have seen.
I like the Hercule Poirot shows, too.

As a life-long science fiction fan, why can't we get more of the calibre of these and Lord of The Rings instead of the usual remakes of remakes or hatchet jobs?

yodar
March 4, 2006, 06:33 PM
thee library has 14 of them ~!

wonderful!

MrTwigg
March 4, 2006, 06:35 PM
...three rounds per minute !

Can'thavenuthingood
March 4, 2006, 08:08 PM
Wife and I watched all shows, thought they were good.

English, Spanish and Frenchmen fighting each other over dirt.

Yes, Netflix is your friend.

Vick

nomadboi
March 4, 2006, 09:46 PM
Yep, good stuff. Love when the sarge fires his ramrod to get off a quick last shot...

4v50 Gary
March 5, 2006, 12:21 AM
Rifleman Benjamin Harris shot his ramrod out at Barba de Puerco. He didn't have time to withdraw it and after shooting it, ran whereupon he came across an injured sergeant and borrowed his rifle.

pete f
March 5, 2006, 04:52 AM
Not sure who the guy is who plays the villianous Sgt. Obadiah Hakeswill is marvelous at making you really his character. he makes your skin crawl.

Jkwas
March 5, 2006, 08:22 AM
Yes, they are excellent. Especially the one with "Handsome William".

Pappy John
March 5, 2006, 08:33 AM
I saw them several years ago when the History Channel ran them. Read the book series two years ago. Great stuff. Then moved into the Aubrey/Maturin series last year. Amazing time in history.

Bwana John
March 5, 2006, 10:12 AM
Here's forty shillings on the drum
For those who'll vollunteer to come
To list and fight the foes today
Over the hills and far away

(Chorus)
O'er the hills and o'er the main
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain
King George commands and we obey
O'er thew hills and far away

When duty calls me I must go
To stand and face another foe
Though part of me will always stay
(Chorus)
Through smoke and fire and shot and shell
Unto the very walls of hell
We shall stand and we shall stay
(Chorus)
Now though I travel far from Spain
A part of me shall still remain
For you are with me night and day
(Chorus)
So fall in lads behind the drum
With colours blazing like the sun
Along the road to come what may
(Chorus)
When evil stalks upon the land
I'll nyther hold nor stay m' hand
But fight to win a better day
(Chorus)
If I should fall to rise no more
As many comrades did before
Ask the pipes and drums to play
(Chorus)
Let kings and tyrants come and go
I'll stand ajudged by what I know
A soldiers life I'll ne'er gainsay

Sistema1927
March 5, 2006, 04:28 PM
All of Bernard Cornwell's books are excellent. I am currently reading the Nate Starbuck series, set in the American Civil War.

His "Gallows Thief", Archer's Tale series, "Redcoat", the Sharpe Series, and his modern yachting books are all great, and show a depth of historical understanding that is second to none. He really knows how to write.

The neat thing about the Sharpe series is the fact that Cornwell has filled in some of Richard Sharpes earlier history in India.

Eskimo Jim
March 5, 2006, 04:41 PM
Big Jake,
I'd recommend the Sharpe's movies and books.

If you like the books you might like the Patrick O'Brien books which take place at sea.

Jkwas, I think that you're referring to "Sweet William" who is the officer with fake hair, fake teeth and the eye patch.

-Jim

stevekl
March 5, 2006, 09:38 PM
I've only seen the Waterloo episode and I thought it was pretty good. It's low budget and slow sometimes but as far as I can tell it's very authentic, the acting is great, and it's even pretty funny at times. The ending was pretty cool too.

Jim Watson
March 5, 2006, 10:09 PM
I gotta disagree with you Systema, I did NOT like the Starbuck stuff.

Mr Cornwell has a perfectly good Civil War of his own, he shouldn't muck about with ours.

Limeyfellow
March 5, 2006, 10:09 PM
Damn good series, though it tends to petter out towards the end of the series with say the last season (there 4 seasons with 3/4 episodes each). I have the set on dvd.

Nathanael_Greene
March 6, 2006, 10:35 AM
Great historical fiction. I've seen some of the TV stuff, but haven't read the books (though I've been through Aubrey/Maturin and have read the Hornblower books many times).

Now, if someone would just film Conan Doyle's "The White Company" or "The Adventures of Brigadier Gerard"...

entropy
March 6, 2006, 11:42 AM
Sharpe's Rifles and Horatio Hornblower were on A&E and the History Channel in the mornings a while back, used to watch them after work, great shows, with fine attention to historical detail, helped get my sons interested in history. (As did BoB and SPR) :)

History Nut
March 6, 2006, 03:48 PM
As others, I highly recommend reading the books first. I used to hate getting a new copy as I knew I wouldn't be sleeping that night until I was so tired my eyes wouldn't focus! I learned more about the Napoleonic Wars from Cornwell's books than any other reading I have done.

I got the mini-series on video some years ago. They were a better adaptation of the books than most shows. In one episode they illustrated the "Rifleman's Walk" which I had not understood from the books. I tried it and it works pretty well. The productions were obviously made on a fairly limited budget but still came off well.

Does anyone know if they are going to be released on DVD?

Librarian
March 6, 2006, 04:17 PM
Amazon and Sharpe (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004U3UK/qid=1141679651/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-7979491-2182404?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130): Rifles, Eagle, Company, Sword, Enemy are out on DVD.

Sistema1927
March 6, 2006, 04:39 PM
If you go on Ebay, they advertise very sets of the Sharpe series at ridiculously low prices shipped from places like Hong Kong.

This is due to the fact that many US DVD players won't play them. However, they do work on a computer (as well as on one of my two DVD players at home).

Hkmp5sd
March 7, 2006, 07:02 PM
You can get all of the Sharpe's movies on DVD.

All in one shot, in groups or individually.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000065KTL.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

at ridiculously low prices shipped from places like Hong Kong.

Plus they tend to be missing the little copyright notice.

Eager
March 7, 2006, 07:20 PM
I'm listening to all the "Sharpe's" books (on audio) I can get.

It's interesting to learn about the Napolionic wars. Something that isn't done that much here in the US. It was a big deal to the UK obviously. Good period warfare and survival stuff, and Sharpe's dry humor is just darn funny (and Haper's isn't bad either for a Mick).

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody watch the "Sharpe's" movie series?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!