S&W Mod 29 rebuild

PDA

Nyghtfall
April 16, 2003, 11:41 AM
I need a hammer and trigger for a S&W Mod 29-2. Will L-frame parts interchange? Who has the best price on S&W parts, used is OK. Also need nickle-plated thumbpiece and screw.

Thansk.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Mod 29 rebuild" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
April 16, 2003, 02:53 PM
1. Don't try to use "L" frame parts. In any case the hammer won't fit and the hand you have in your 29-2 won't fit into a "L" frame trigger.

2. You can probably find the parts you need at: www.brownells.com

3. Given the nature of your questions I wound strongly recommend that you return the revolver to S&W for the rebuild. Doing the job right requires experience. Simply "dropping in" new parts doesn't always work.

bountyhunter
April 16, 2003, 03:29 PM
I second the notion of letting SW factory do it or a very competent SW smith. Hammers and triggers almost always have to be fitted to work properly. They are usually fitted and then surface hardened to give the sear faces a longer service life. If you buy "drop in" parts and have to stone them, they need to be re-hardened or they won't last very long.

Old Fuff
April 16, 2003, 07:07 PM
Bountyhunter:

S&W may have fitted lockwork parts in the "soft" state and then hardened them, but if so, it was in the 19th century. It is the company's practice to switch hammers and triggers in and out until a combination that works is found. As a practical matter they usually don't have too do this more then once or twice. A few internal parts might be "adjusted", such as the sear, hand, bolt assembly and hammer block - but that is it. The obvious reason the hammer and trigger aren't modified is because they were already casehardened.

When you replace a hammer or trigger from stock parts they're is a good probability it will work - but a possibility it won't.

If you find a hammer or trigger has been stoned or polished to any degree somebody has likely messed up.

Jim K
April 16, 2003, 10:16 PM
I have replaced a lot of S&W parts and can only say that they do drop in probably 98% of the time. Colt parts, on the other hand, almost always will require some fitting.

Nonetheless, I agree with letting S&W or someone like Cylinder and Slide do the job if a local gunsmith is not available.

Jim

bountyhunter
April 17, 2003, 02:33 PM
"S&W may have fitted lockwork parts in the "soft" state and then hardened them, but if so, it was in the 19th century. It is the company's practice to switch hammers and triggers in and out until a combination that works is found."

All I know is what the guys at SW tell me (I used to talk to them regularly). I was told that hammers and triggers are cut and fitted and then sent for hardening (this was about two years back). I don't know if the "fitting" is in a specific gun or a setup jig, but that's what he said they do. He added they do it that way because when they tried to machine hardened parts, it wore out the cutters too fast (duhhh).

As far as dropping in parts from other guns (hammers and triggers), all I know is the Kuhnhausen manual says don't do it because it's screwed up more guns than you could count. I've heard from pros that if you do, you should keep the triggers and hammers as a set because they are fitted as a set when they are made. Obviously, some parts might drop in and work, no guarantees.

Old Fuff
April 17, 2003, 05:09 PM
Bountyhunter;

I won't take this any further, but if hammers and triggers were individually fitted to particular guns and then case hardened each part would have to be serial numbered (or a least numbered in some way) so they could be returned to whatever revolver they were fitted too in the first place. Additionally, neither a hammer or trigger could be replaced unless the new part was fitted before it was hardened. Of course this isn't the case. It is possible that some guns coming out of the Performance Center have or had "soft fitted" lockwork, but I can assure you this isn't the practice when it comes to building production models.

And yes, machined parts are checked in fixtures and guaged before they are sent out to be hardened. They are also inspected after hardning.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Mod 29 rebuild" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!