What are you buying with your tax refund?

PDA

Vex
March 7, 2006, 02:32 AM
I'm thinking about an AR-15, or an M1 Garand.... perhaps a week vacation with the woman.... or maybe a major upgrade to my computer.

Anyone else buying guns? If not, what are your plans for tax refunds?

If you enjoyed reading about "What are you buying with your tax refund?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Red Dragon
March 7, 2006, 02:39 AM
Tax refund?! Hell, I would need income first. :D

dpote
March 7, 2006, 02:40 AM
I'm struggling with the thought of a S&W M327 snub nose. I really like it, but I can't rationalize its purchase.
I like your idea of a vacation. Maybe I'll take my wife and the dogs and just get gone for a while.

Be safe,
Dave

PlayboyPenguin
March 7, 2006, 02:57 AM
With my tax return I bought...

Revolvers:
.454casull Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan / 2 1/4" (stainless) still on order
.44mag Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter / 7 1/2" (stainless)
.357mag Ruger GP100 / 6" (stainless)
.357mag Ruger SP101 / 2 1/4" (stainless)

Pistols:
.45acp Kimber Pro Carry II (stainless)
9mm Taurus PT92 AFT (stainless)
.32acp Beretta Tomcat (stainless)
.22lr Ruger Mark II (stainless)

Rifles:
.45/70 Marlin 1895 GS (stainless)
.30-.30 Marlin 336XLR (stainless)
.30-.06 Ruger M77 MKII Sporter (stainless)

and I bought a gunsafe.

I kind of went nuts. I closed a business this year that was run from my home and the huge right off got me back a bigger return than I can ever expect to see again so I figured it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. here are all my purchases besides the last two rifles I picked up. The Taurus 65 and the NAA mini I already owned.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17853&d=1141025071

Houndawg
March 7, 2006, 02:58 AM
LASIK

cracked butt
March 7, 2006, 03:00 AM
Roth IRA money.

aaronrkelly
March 7, 2006, 03:10 AM
I bought this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/All%20Guns/Image00001.jpg

Manedwolf
March 7, 2006, 03:23 AM
Investments. The gummint isn't going to take care of you in your old age. Plan ahead or live in a box, that's my idea. :D

Taurus 66
March 7, 2006, 03:46 AM
Too many guns and so many wants (though can have only one) leaves me a bit confused. I'd really like to pick up a Kel Tec P3AT - "P-3-Eigh-ty". :)

Another good grab would be a Savage chambered for .300 Win Mag. It's tough to beat the price and out of box accuracy of any Savage.

Any way it's sliced, my purchase (including tax) must stay below $600.

MadMercS55
March 7, 2006, 04:06 AM
I'm debating on another P220 or maybe adding a P228 or P226 to the lineup. Already on layaway is a Mossberg 590 as well. Aside from that, probably a few more Benchmade knives, ammo, mags and other stuff. And a new set of tires. I also like to save a little as well.

Nematocyst
March 7, 2006, 04:24 AM
What's a 'tax refund'?

(Says a new business owner.)

:(

But at least I ain't workin' fo' da' man.

:evil:

Nem

David W. Gay
March 7, 2006, 04:51 AM
I kind of went nuts.All that with ONE refund? No "kind of" about it! ;)

And where do you get off buying everything on my gun wish list -huh?!

Seriously, lacking only an AK and a kel-tec Sub-2000, your collection would almost mirror mine, if I could afford it. Oh, and instead of the Taurus, I'd get the new XD-45. Hmmm, or - better yet, in-addition to the Taurus... :D

So, ok, not exactly a mirror of my wish list, but close enough.

Oh well, If I can't have them, someone should.

BTW, let's see picks of the stainless Marlins!

Speaking of stainless lever-actions, this is my favorite: Alaskan Co-Pilot (http://wildwestguns.com/CoPilot_And_Guide_Rifles/copilot_and_guide_rifles.html)

PlayboyPenguin
March 7, 2006, 05:00 AM
And where do you get off buying everything on my gun wish list -huh?!

Seriously, lacking only an AK and a kel-tec Sub-2000, your collection would almost mirror mine, if I could afford it. Oh, and instead of the Taurus, I'd get the new XD-45. Hmmm, or - better yet, in-addition to the Taurus...

BTW, let's see picks of the stainless Marlins!

I am not much one for the more military looking weapons. I prefer them to be pretty and shiny. :) The Taurus is actually a gun I have had for many years now. It was something from a time in my life when I was struggling financially and had to scrimp and save to buy. I love seeing how peoples taste in firearms mirror or contrast one anothers. Here is a pic of the two stainless Marlins.

Nematocyst
March 7, 2006, 05:37 AM
PP, what's the lever gun under the self-portrait?

(Yeah, Marlin. Got that part.
My last one was a 336 in .35.
Miss that gun so much....)

Nice. Super nice.

Nem

PlayboyPenguin
March 7, 2006, 05:47 AM
The one right under is the new Marlin 336XLR in .30-.30...the other is the .45/70 stainless gide gun.

David W. Gay
March 7, 2006, 05:50 AM
I tend to prefer stainless firearms myself, just not becuase they're "shiny", but becuase they are more, well, stainless. :) However, I'm also drawn to the "Dark Side" of "scary-looking" weapons, such as the AK, or the XD. Neither of them would look right in SS.

At a recent gun show, I actually saw a gold-plated (don't know if it was real gold) mac-10, labeled as an "Army commemorative". It was quite shiny. And pretty... as it pretty funny!

PlayboyPenguin
March 7, 2006, 05:57 AM
A gold plated m-10??? Hmmmm, I wonder if a can get rhinestone appliques for my Rugers from that guy? :)

Nematocyst
March 7, 2006, 06:01 AM
The one right under is the new Marlin 336XLR in .30-.30...Mikey likes it.

RRTX
March 7, 2006, 06:56 AM
I put most of it in savings, but I did buy myself a Gemtech Outback II :D Now if the F3 transfer from gemtech to my dealer would hurry up so I can start the transfer to me I will be a little happier.

Working Man
March 7, 2006, 07:19 AM
Well if my corrected 1098T would hurry up and get here I would hunt down
a Marlin 1895GS .45-70 & a SP101 like PlayboyPenguin. With out that
money I'm hunting for deals. :uhoh:

Matthew748
March 7, 2006, 07:19 AM
It is sitting in a savings account right now. I need a new computer and am thinking that something built around the AMD 64 FX 60 processor, 2 graphics accelerators, and 2 GB of RAM will do quite nicely. I am waiting for prices to come down before I make my purchase.

On the gun front, I would like something in .375 H&H. I am leaning towards the CZ 550, but who knows.

Devonai
March 7, 2006, 08:01 AM
LASIK

Worth every penny, Houndawg! Just be aware that it could effect your night vision under certain circumstances. Otherwise it's a good investment. I myself was sick and tired of watching my glasses fog up every time I hit the prone, including at the range for qualification.

With the kind of money I'm expecting from my tax return, I'm planning on getting a few boxes of .357 Sig JHP.

Spot77
March 7, 2006, 08:05 AM
I had to read the thread title three times......

I kept thinking it read, "What Are You BURYING With Your Tax Refund?"

hmmm...that would make for a great separate thread...."Which Gun to Bury Before The Stasi Come A Knockin?"

redneck2
March 7, 2006, 08:12 AM
Hope you don't get audited and have to make a pay-back. I don't think the IRS accepts firearms.

Investments. The gummint isn't going to take care of you in your old age. Plan ahead or live in a box, that's my idea.

+1

outfieldjack
March 7, 2006, 08:32 AM
I paid off about a 1/3 of our second mortage.

trickyasafox
March 7, 2006, 09:20 AM
im a student so my refund is 245 dollars. i already maxed out my roth for this year, so im gonna get more tattoos :) my right shoulder has been beggin to be expanded on for about 2 years now :neener:

oh a word on lasik

i got the zyoptic cause my eyes were especially bad, but i agree eye correction is worth every penny

Rumble
March 7, 2006, 09:21 AM
Some of the catering bill for my wedding. With what's left over, I'll get a candy bar.

english kanigit
March 7, 2006, 09:22 AM
Already done it. The refund chipped in on a Springer MilSpec.

entropy
March 7, 2006, 09:31 AM
A 4.6 Triton to replace the one that just threw a rod on my wife on her way to work Friday!:cuss:

I was going to buy a S&W 625 from my Dad...:(

dtalley
March 7, 2006, 09:55 AM
One box of 50 22lr. That is if I don't have to pay the IRS again this year.:cuss:

HankB
March 7, 2006, 09:55 AM
Tax refund?

Maybe a couple of boxes of ammo.

Mine is pretty small, year after year. I adjust my deductions so I'm not giving Uncle Sam an interest-free loan of my money all year. (That's what it means when you get a big refund - you've loaned money to the government for zero interest.)

1911 guy
March 7, 2006, 10:04 AM
I bought a single stack Para with my refund. I like it, after I tinkered with it to make it run more than 50 percent. After 150 rounds, no more malf's. I'd post pics, but I'm a confirmed Luddite.

Stickjockey
March 7, 2006, 10:29 AM
Debt relief on the wife's credit cards.:mad:

Kramer Krazy
March 7, 2006, 10:32 AM
I'm paying off my Colt LW Commander and the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme reloading set-up that I bought a little over a month ago (reloaded over 1200 rounds, so far). The rest is probably going on the home equity loan.

cubanpimp
March 7, 2006, 10:57 AM
I payed $2000 to my credit card after buying my new bushmaster m4!

cubanpimp
March 7, 2006, 11:03 AM
playboy
9mm Taurus PT92 AFT (stainless) = beautifull, they are better than the bretta verion IMHO.... i saw it 2 weeks ago and almost bought one....YOU MAKE ME ENVY SIR!:what: :fire: :cuss:

theCZ
March 7, 2006, 11:19 AM
I'm using my refund to almost completely eliminate my credit card debt. Sounds boring, but it's VERY exciting for me!

GTSteve03
March 7, 2006, 11:57 AM
1902 Swedish Mauser 96, all matching serial #s.

Yep, she's an investment all right! :D

dmallind
March 7, 2006, 12:39 PM
I keep the money working for me and then pay taxes on Apr 14th rather than loan my money interest free to the government (not that I'm particularly antagonistic to government in general, especially considering the norms in this milieu, I just like money :evil: )

So my "refund" is a $14K check I get to write to Uncle Sam and Cousin Sven (MN State Treasury) in a month or so to make up for the difference between my normal witholdings from my job and my total tax liability from all income.

I already used the interest on that to buy stuff earlier in the year - probably the G30 is about right dollar wise although I don't budget in discrete buckets like that.

offthepaper
March 7, 2006, 01:26 PM
I'm having my taxes done this weekend.
My plans for my refund is a CZ75 Compact. The rest will get tucked away for the rainy day.

simon
March 7, 2006, 01:26 PM
Kitchen remodel! It'll take all of it and then some :fire:
Gotta keep the wife happy....

kel
March 7, 2006, 01:57 PM
I need to keep more liquid cash on hand in case of emergencies. I don't want to keep living month to month.

Myself
March 7, 2006, 02:04 PM
Taxes won't get done until early April. I expect to owe a fair amount this year.

This, however, doesn't keep me from purchasing toys with regularity.

f4t9r
March 8, 2006, 12:30 PM
refund ?? I owe , I owe
so of to work I go. :mad:

ball3006
March 8, 2006, 12:40 PM
Each year I have to deposit in my IRA enough money so I don't have to pay taxes.......no kids and mortgage low enough there is no interest benefit......too healthy to have any medical deductions.....chris3

MS .45
March 8, 2006, 12:45 PM
I will be moving around that time and will need the money for that, so no fun stuff for me this year.

CoastieTech
March 8, 2006, 12:47 PM
With my refund I bought a G19, an XD9, a 5 day cruise, and I put 1500 in a Roth IRA, and 500 in a savings acct.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 8, 2006, 01:09 PM
Refund???----what's that????----looking like I'm going have to pay in an additional 3 grand:banghead:

chaim
March 8, 2006, 01:12 PM
I'm not sure what I'll be using it for, and I have a fair amount coming.

I should be getting a nice chunk of change this year (or what for me is a nice chunk of change). Many years ago I ended up owing the state a couple hundred bucks, and I owed them more than the feds owed me. Because I so dread ever having to pay again I always have work take an extra $10 federal and $5 state out every pay period and I report 0 deductions (not even myself). I know it is better to put the money away in savings, but this is safer. I also didn't make that much last year (my new job to get experience in the mental health field meant a $10K pay cut) and the first half of the year it appeared I'd be in a higher tax bracket than I am so even more was deducted from my paycheck.

About the same time I should finally be getting back my pension contribution from my old job (I left before I was vested and after 9 months I've waited long enough to get my contribution back). Of course that has to go into something like an IRA or 401K if I want to avoid tax penalties.

So, I'm thinking about a couple possibilities (not all gun related):

-Put all of my return into IRAs with the pension contribution and if the IRA is maxed for the year put the rest into some other savings vehicle.

-Finally buy the BHP or Kimber Pro Carry II that I've been wanting so long and put what's left into an IRA or savings.

-Finally buy the CZ or Howa bolt rifle I've been wanting and put what's left into an IRA or savings.

-Buy another .41mag and put whats left into an IRA or savings.

-Use it to pay off some debt (my last credit card) and use whats left to help me move. I'm looking for jobs in Phily and Pittsburgh right now, though I'm looking within a very specific field so I can't count on getting one of these jobs. I am no longer working just generically within the mental health field, I've decided to specialize in eating disorders and there are only a few treatment centers in the entire country in the field, limiting my options. I may use the money to open up other parts of the country as well (there are 2 treatment centers in Denver and a couple in Florida) where I may not be able to afford the move without the extra cash (in addition to higher moving costs in moving further away, simply interviewing means a plane ticket and a day or two in a motel/hotel for each interview instead of a couple hours on the road and maybe a day in a motel).

chaim
March 8, 2006, 01:25 PM
Opps, odd double tap...I tried editing and somehow ended up with a new entry (I went to the "edit" screen, I changed my mind about the edit, I hit the "back" button instead of "cancel" and for some reason it re-posted my original post) :banghead:

Richard.Howe
March 8, 2006, 01:49 PM
100% reinvested as company stock option.

Rich

MikeH
March 8, 2006, 02:28 PM
Kid's college fund. But Daddy did get himself a used CZ75B with what's left. ;)

Red Tornado
March 8, 2006, 04:09 PM
It looks like, baby clothes, a rocking horse, the indoor/outdoor Castle Slide, and the college fund. Oh well, maybe I'll sneak a 7.62 Nagent revolver out of it.
RT

rero360
March 8, 2006, 04:25 PM
don't know yet, not until I figure out how much I'm getting back, probably not alot considering I was on unemployment for 6 months and only worked for 1 month and was also a full time student. I do have my eye on a XD .45 ACP tactical, or perhaps a ruger redhawk in some big powerful manly caliber:neener: or if its below a couple of hundred, then some motorcycle stuff, helmets, glasses, gloves, small stuff like that.

Pebcac
March 8, 2006, 04:53 PM
I paid for some stuff that I've had for a while now, and even some stuff that I don't have anymore.

I paid off a credit card. :rolleyes:

But I closed the account, too! :neener: to Capital One!!

What's in my wallet? Cash, baby, 'cause I ain't paying that credit card bill anymore.

38Mike
March 8, 2006, 09:45 PM
Refund; Gave some $ to youngest daughter towards her 1st car....

Gave some $ to oldest daughter and son-in-law.....

Bought me a new Trek 7.3FX..........:D

cubanpimp
March 8, 2006, 09:48 PM
bought the m4 with the refund, and just got the benelli 12 gauge nova pump:evil:

distra
March 8, 2006, 09:59 PM
College fund for the little guy...XD9 or XD9Sc for the big guy...and whatever model and caliber Mom wants :evil:

LiquidTension
March 8, 2006, 11:54 PM
Paid off my credit card. The rest will be used for moving expenses, maybe some furniture. I purchased a USP about a month ago so I've gotten my fix...I'm good for another few months.

lee n. field
March 9, 2006, 12:05 AM
What are you buying with your tax refund?

What we buy every year with taxes back: house taxes, house insurance and car insurance. That about sucks it all up, every time.

chaim
March 9, 2006, 03:16 AM
Hmm, possible revision to my answer earlier. My car's check engine light came on while on my way home from work. Now, two problems in 42K miles isn't necessarily bad, and it is still under warranty (it is a Hyundai). However, depending upon what it is I may just be in the market for a new car. You see, the one prior problem (some kind of emissions issue) started with the check engine light. After my last car (a 1997 Nissan Sentra) went through about a dozen alternators I promised myself to get rid of any car that showed signs that it would have the same recurrent problem, and if this is the same problem as last time I may have to honor that promise to myself.

So, unless this problem is something else, I may just save the tax return in order to buy a new car (well, probably a used car) in the next few months. The return will be just big enough to use as a down payment (man I hate the idea of selling my car when my loan is higher than the used car value though).

MSgt B
March 9, 2006, 03:30 AM
Your taxes pay my wages.....

and my wages are taxed.

Anyway, thanks to all you great folks out there for the new RIA .45 and the M1 Garand.:D

RioShooter
March 9, 2006, 08:27 AM
I never get a refund. I'm not going to give the government the use of my money, interest free, for one year.

I usually owe about 50 bucks.

If I want a new gun I SAVE for it, with interest.

The Freeholder
March 9, 2006, 10:04 AM
Paying for the summer's seasonal campground rental, some Mountain House canned food to set aside "just in case", a week with the family on vacation somewhere, and maybe a new computer.

But no guns from that money. Guns come from my allowance and whatever I earn on the side.

Kharn
March 9, 2006, 10:08 AM
I used my state refund for a Taurus 65 (4" DA/SA .357 in stainless) and a Taurus 650 (2" DAO .357 in stainless), I have to save my federal refund for home renovation expenses.

The FFL had to special order the two guns, so I'll get to pick them up in 3 weeks (2wks to arrive, 1wk waiting period). :(

I already picked up 400 rounds of .38+P JHP in anticipation. :D

Kharn

If you enjoyed reading about "What are you buying with your tax refund?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!