What attributes would you look for in a target gun?

PDA

10-Ring
January 3, 2003, 12:25 PM
I think one of my next guns is going to be a 'target' gun. Something w/ truly sacry accuracy at uncommon distances...maybe .5" at a gazillion miles :neener: (YMMV)
Outside of nice adjustable sights, upgraded barrel, what other attributes should I look for?
Plus, what are pro's & con's of such guns for things like IDPA, housegun use?

If you enjoyed reading about "What attributes would you look for in a target gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
January 3, 2003, 12:35 PM
Oh, yeah & I'd like to keep the price down too :rolleyes:

Hey, a few years ago, I wanted a Porsche SUV, now my dreams have come to reality :neener: A fella can dream can't he?

okeydoke
January 3, 2003, 12:35 PM
the less is the reliability of function, in nearly all cases. I'd stick to a .22 for meaningless grouping. Centerfires exist for but one reason, the need for more POWER than a rimfire can offer. That need of power comes only from the need to defend oneself. Noone has to hunt with a mere handgun, you see. Defensive needs are for SPEED. If you have even a very few seconds to spare (necessary to tell a superbly accurate gun from a very inaccurate one) you should be running-diving for cover, putting an obtacle between you and your attacker, or at the very least, assuming a position that helps your accuracy and makes you a smaller target, like the fetal position (both wrists between your knees) supine, or sitting. It's hard to beat a good, used Buckmark Browning .22, sub $200, in this pure accuracy category. If you want maximal grouping ability, you need some sort of an optical sight.

Chris Rhines
January 3, 2003, 02:20 PM
Centerfire or rimfire, and are you going to compete with it?

If you want to shoot bullseye, get a .22LR to start. A Ruger MkII is a good intro bullseye pistol and it can be tuned up to provide very competitive accuracy when you are ready. A Russian Baikal IZH-35M is another good choice. It comes with an adjustable trigger, orthopedic grip, and good adjustable sights.

If you want to spend the cash for a top-grade bullseye gun, Hammerli, Pardini, and Walther make good ones. I'm a Pardini fan. Optical sights are a matter of personal choice, I've never been able to get used to them on pistols (plus, I shoot ISU, where they are verboten.)

- Chris

PATH
January 3, 2003, 04:32 PM
I went with the 22A Smith. Red-dot sight. I average in the low 220's. I am still trying to get better. Looked for price and basic quality. (Bread and Butter) When I get a little better I may trade up to something else.

If you enjoyed reading about "What attributes would you look for in a target gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!