'24' is Really Addicting, Isn't It???

PDA

CAPTAIN MIKE
March 7, 2006, 05:29 PM
Man, my little boy and I are becoming regular viewers (addicts?) of the TV series '24'. I have always enjoyed political action-drama stuff like Tom Clancy's books and so forth, but this '24' thing has really GOT me.

Other fans out there?? What is it that makes this show so compelling to so many people???

If you enjoyed reading about "'24' is Really Addicting, Isn't It???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sistema1927
March 7, 2006, 05:32 PM
There were a couple of things that were a bit hokey last night:

SPOILER ALERT!!

1) Do you really think that the Secret Service would have the 1st Lady and visiting dignitaries stand on the side of the road waiting for a helo if there had just been an assassination attempt?

2) How did the druggie boyfriend know how to get in touch with terrorists (or vice versa) to sell them a CTU key card?

They certainly have been killing off a bunch of folks this year, haven't they?

V4Vendetta
March 7, 2006, 05:40 PM
I can't stand "24" anymore. It's gotten too unrealistic. They should have quit after the first 2 seasons. Just my .02:)

mr_dove
March 7, 2006, 05:41 PM
I've been watching since the first episode of season 1. I'm hooked too.

I thought it was odd to see them standing on the side of the road too but perhaps they were very confident that the site was secure.

Regarding the CTU card, I think it speaks more to the resourcefulness of the terrorists than it does about the drugee.

Shipwreck
March 7, 2006, 05:45 PM
I never watched it until this season. I am hooked now. I am watching older episodes on A&E. Not a huge fan of season 1 myself.

R.H. Lee
March 7, 2006, 05:47 PM
What does Jack Bauer carry? Is that a SIG of some sort or an HK?

Justin
March 7, 2006, 05:48 PM
Nice save...

mr_dove
March 7, 2006, 05:51 PM
I *think* its an HK but I'd have to pause it and zoom in to be sure.

bratch
March 7, 2006, 06:00 PM
He's carried Sigs and HKs. Not sure in Season 5. I've got season 1 playing right now. It IS my favorite show on TV.

R.H. Lee
March 7, 2006, 06:18 PM
I think this is 2 HK's and a Beretta, but I'm not sure.

kennyboy
March 7, 2006, 06:48 PM
One thing I like about 24 is that they don't do much of that dramatic crap. They kill off main characters left and right (Michelle, Edgar, CTU operatives, key terrorists, etc.). Other shows are predictable because they let all the main characters live. 24 is different in that sense and that is what makes it so exciting and suspenseful.

mr_dove
March 7, 2006, 06:50 PM
Good point Kennyboy. Other than Jack nobody's survival is guaranteed.

Silver Bullet
March 7, 2006, 06:56 PM
1) Do you really think that the Secret Service would have the 1st Lady and visiting dignitaries stand on the side of the road waiting for a helo if there had just been an assassination attempt?
You didn't find Jack shooting Henderson's wife in the leg to make Henderson talk a bit over the top ? :)

Other shows are predictable because they let all the main characters live.
Try reading James Clavell's novels (Shogun, Whirlwind, Tai-Pan, Noble House, etc.). Very high attrition rate, both good guys and bad guys. In Whirlwind, about 500 pages into the book a mixed religion married couple (good guys (and gals), no less) finally gets all their troubles solved, and then they carelessly kill themselves with a grenade. With Clavell, you don't know until the final page.

Bill2k1
March 7, 2006, 07:00 PM
Jack has carried a USP, a sig 229 and one other HK. However he has picked up alot of weapons before. Also he uses a Galco paddle.

Edit: but yea I am hooked. I got hooked watching season 4 reruns on A&E mondays. Then I started this season and can't get away.

ReadyontheRight
March 7, 2006, 07:02 PM
OK -- What kind of folding knife did Jack use to open up Peter Weller's gate last night?

Nice to see practical uses of handy tools like a big folding knife.:)

Zen21Tao
March 7, 2006, 07:10 PM
I am hooked too. I absolutely love the show and I don't care that some of it fantastically unrealistic. I suspect that the plot would become very dull if everything adheared perfectly to reality. For example, CTU is presented as the easiest place on earth to break into. And they ocasionally have vistitors bering admit into places that in reality they would never be allowed to admitted to. However, these little pieces of creative control are required to advance the plot line forward.

Also, I've gotten pretty hooked on The Shield and Bones also.

texascarl
March 7, 2006, 07:19 PM
The first season Jack took one of the original Microtech Halo's off a goblin. He may still be carrying it for all I know.

http://www.tadgear.com/edged%20tools/halo_ii.htm

Always worth watching the gear that Jack carries. Notice his bug out bag full of flashlights, guns, knives, comms, gps, pda's...cool stuff applied.

(My favorite 24 joke. Jack Bauer was played by Kiefer Sutherland, until Jack Bauer found out about it and killed Kiefer. No man plays Jack Bauer and lives to tell about it.)

bogie
March 7, 2006, 07:21 PM
The real question: Who is tougher? Jack Bauer, Chuck Norris or Steven Segal?

rhubarb
March 7, 2006, 07:52 PM
'24' is Really Addicting, Isn't It???

The teevee show? Addicting? :confused: I watched it and no, it's not addicting. :rolleyes:

gbran
March 7, 2006, 07:53 PM
I don't watch series, sit-coms or movies very much. I do watch a lot of news, sports, tech, history etc. But I gotta tell you, I watched this season's 2 hr "24" opener and I'm hooked.

usmarine0352_2005
March 7, 2006, 08:23 PM
I USED to watch it.....but Jack kills more guy in an hour then most people do in 10 lifetimes.

If you want to watch an ADDICTING show, watch "THE SHIELD."

luxone
March 7, 2006, 09:07 PM
2) How did the druggie boyfriend know how to get in touch with terrorists (or vice versa) to sell them a CTU key card?

I thought this was odd as well but after some thought I came up with a theory. The terrorists found out, after researching CTU employee backgrounds, that Lynn McGill had a junkie sister, contacted her boyfriend and put him up to mugging Lynn and getting the card. No, the terrorists did not know that they were going to release gas in CTU but they knew a card would be handy. Just a theory.

MikeK
March 7, 2006, 09:08 PM
My name is Mike and I'm an addict. The wife and I are following the latest version, the A&E rerun and the ABC rerun. Tough keeping them straight sometimes. It's the only show other than Boston Legal that we watch regularly. Won't answer the phone during 24.

Are some parts unrealistic? YES! It's entertainment. I want a cell phone like Bauer's that has a battery that never dies and I want to be able to climb a ladder turn around and take down a bad guy with one shot from a pistol at 100 yards. And if I wasn't married and his daughter wasn't so stupid I'd like to spend 24 with her. We can all dream, can't we?

A great show!

OldShooter
March 7, 2006, 09:31 PM
I'm one too!
Been watchin' for a while and I think the reason we all love it is the pace of the show. It really moves along quite nicely.

Remember MTV changed our perception of "attention span". If the director is not making 2 second scene changes or using multiple camera angles(cuts), we click the clicker!

As for reality - it's just TV! NOTHING on TV is real! It's all entertainment.

And a comment about the "toughest" guy. Jack Bauer is a character. Chuck Norris is a real Bad A## and an OK actor. Steven Segal is a real Bad A## and an OK actor. Keifer Sutherland is a pretty good actor playing a Bad A##. Sorry to burst your bubble.

But, back to the show - they need to frag that guy playing the President. I can't imagine ANY President being that lame since Chester A. Arthur!

Can't wait 'till next week. I gotta go watch "The Unit" and see if it's any good.:cool:

Regards,
OldShooter

Zen21Tao
March 7, 2006, 09:43 PM
But, back to the show - they need to frag that guy playing the President. I can't imagine ANY President being that lame since Chester A. Arthur!

I think that the President in 24 is a great representation of what a John Kerry presidency could have been. :D

OldShooter
March 7, 2006, 09:47 PM
I couldn't agree more. John Kerry my foot! What a loser.

2TransAms
March 7, 2006, 09:59 PM
The reason we all love 24 is because,if we're honest,we think we could do his job.:D All the situations make you wonder,what would I do?

The Shield is a great show,but at least on 24 you know Jack Bauer and CTU on the whole (but not everyone in it), are good guys. It's good vs. evil. And I like that nobody is guaranteed to live to the end of the show.

My only peeve is that apparently any loser in L.A. can walk into CTU and chat with Bill Buchanan.

Silver Bullet
March 7, 2006, 10:42 PM
The real question: Who is tougher? Jack Bauer, Chuck Norris or Steven Segal?
I was trying to decide who was the tougher "interviewer", Jack Bauer or Jack Bristow ?

Steelharp
March 7, 2006, 11:45 PM
Yes... it is the only show since "All in the Family" back in the day that has made my entire family drop everything for that one hour... and the reason AITF stopped everybody was because Archie WAS my Uncle Dick in every possible way...

CentralTexas
March 7, 2006, 11:55 PM
I really enjoyed it until the 2nd? Season when "jack" did the anti-gun promo after the credits & gave out the website. No problems or promo for the drinking, smoking, adultery or heroin addiction. I haven't watched since.
CT

bigun15
March 7, 2006, 11:59 PM
Good point Kennyboy. Other than Jack nobody's survival is guaranteed.

Not necessarily. Jack has died in 24, but he always comes back. You know what they say:

Jesus died and rose from the dead in 3 days. It took Jack Bauer less than an hour. And he's done it twice.

He died for his country, and lived to tell about it.

carnaby
March 8, 2006, 12:53 AM
give it up and go watch firefly.

Sorry, I have to plug that one in the hopes we'll get a new movie or even a revival of the TV show :P

Talk about adicting :)

LAK
March 8, 2006, 03:36 AM
Just about every primetime network TV show has some brainwashing twist regularly injected into the presentation. What is it with "24"; "torture is necessary, acceptable and good" or something like that?

---------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

BamBam-31
March 8, 2006, 04:14 AM
24 gets very contrived, but given the premise, I cut it a lot of slack. When it sucks, I just wade thru it. When it's good, man, it's kick-butt television. I'm definitely hooked. :cool:

From an email a buddy sent me:

Top Thirty Facts

If Jack Bauer was in a room with Hitler, Stalin, and
Nina Meyers, and he had a gun with 2 bullets, he'd
shoot Nina twice.

If you wake up in the morning, it's because Jack Bauer
spared your life.

Upon hearing that he was played by Kiefer Sutherland,
Jack Bauer killed Sutherland. Jack Bauer gets played
by no man.

Superman wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

Jack Bauer once forgot where he put his keys. He then
spent the next half-hour torturing himself until he
gave up the location of the keys.

Osama bin Laden's recent proposal for truce is a
direct result of him finding out that Jack Bauer is,
in fact, still alive.

Lets get one thing straight, the only reason you are
conscious right now is because Jack Bauer does not
feel like carrying you.

Jack Bauer played Russian Roulette with a fully loaded
gun and won
Jack Bauer was never addicted to heroin. Heroin was
addicted to Jack Bauer.

Jack Bauer is the leading cause of death in Middle
Eastern men.
1.6 billion Chinese are angry with Jack Bauer. Sounds
like a fair fight.
Jack Bauers calender goes from March 31st to April
2nd, no one fools Jack Bauer.
When life gave Jack Bauer lemons, he used them to kill
terrorists. Jack Bauer ????ing hates lemonade.

You can lead a horse to water. Jack Bauer can make him
drink.

Jack Bauer doesn't miss. If he didn't hit you it's
because he was shooting at another terrorist twelve
miles away.

Jack Bauer can get McDonald's breakfast after 10:30.

Jack Bauer killed 93 people in just 4 days time. Wait,
that is a real fact.
Jack Bauer once won a game of Connect 4 in 3 moves

Jack Bauer's favorite color is severe terror alert
red. His second favorite color is violet, but just
because it sounds like violent.

When you open a can of whoop-ass, Jack Bauer jumps
out.

Killing Jack Bauer doesn't make him dead. It just
makes him angry.
Simon Says should be renamed to Jack Bauer Says
because if Jack Bauer says something then you better
????ing do it.

When Jack Bauer watches a pot, it boils immediately.

Every time you masturbate Jack Bauer kills a
terrorist. Not beacuase you masurbated, but because
that is how often he kills terrorists.

When Google can't find something, it asks Jack Bauer
for help.

In 96 hours, Jack Bauer has killed 93 people and saved
the world 4 times. What the ???? have you done with
your life?

Jack Bauer got Hellen Keller to talk.

When the boogie man goes to sleep, he checks his
closet for Jack Bauer.
Jack Bauer can hit two birds with no stones.

Jack Bauer loves reality TV. That's why he allows FOX
to follow him around.

danurve
March 8, 2006, 10:06 AM
I think "Chloe" looks very spankable when she has the angry look.
Other then that rolling by what CT said if that is indeed true it's sh|tlist time for 24.

FrankB
March 8, 2006, 11:08 AM
How did Lynn McGill get back into CTU without his CTU ID Card?

Tequila_Sauer
March 8, 2006, 01:07 PM
I love the show. Jack Bauer is one of the coolest characters on television and I love the constant conflict between committing an act that comprises Jack's humanity and saving the world.

Next Season: Jack finds out that the entire United States is going to be destroyed by Nuclear War unless Jack slaughters a daycare full of 6 year olds.

Ok, so it's not happening, but you get the drift.

The only moment of the show I've disliked so far? Jack switching from a Sig (seasons 1 and 2) to a USP. A USP probably is more Jack's style though, and his Sig always looked bulky in what seems like Keifer's small hands.

Missouri Mule
March 8, 2006, 01:22 PM
Something else must be on at the same time because i have yet to see it!

fastbolt
March 8, 2006, 01:31 PM
I've tried to watch the 24, but I just don't find it very interesting ...

I always get a kick out of the guys sitting around the cigar lounge, looking at their watches and talking about how they have to watch 24, The Apprentice or American Idol ... none of which seem to be the least bit interesting to me. Fortunately, if any of the shows are on while the lounge is open, and are on the lounge TV, at least I have cigars to smoke and occupy my time while everyone else is raptly glued to the screen, and I can enjoy their quiet company.

cls12vg30
March 8, 2006, 01:32 PM
I think "Chloe" looks very spankable when she has the angry look.

I think Chloe looks very constipated....ALL THE TIME.

Rickstir
March 8, 2006, 02:35 PM
I like it too. One question about the last episode. How did the terrorists get the nerve gas into CTU? The guy with the fake card did not have a big enough suitcase. The terrorist leader mentioned something but I didn't get it.

I knew Jack was going to shoot the guys wife. Clearly the guy himself didn't care if he got shot so Jack had to "raise the bar". At least she knows what a schmuck her husband is.

As soon as Edgar went to look for that other gal, I knew he was a gone goose.

fish2xs
March 8, 2006, 03:33 PM
Now that would be a sight. I just started watching 24 this season and enjoy it alot. OK - I'm addicted.

For those of you with a 24 addiction problem ther is help at blogs4bauer.blogspot.com

Just ask yourself... What Would Jack Bauer Do?

Zen21Tao
March 8, 2006, 03:54 PM
Jack Bauer vs. Vic Mackey in a death match..

Bauer would kick Mackey's ass then take his shield. Mackey needs 3 other men as backup to catch a single dug dealer when Bauer goes it alone against entire terrorist orginizations.

Mongo the Mutterer
March 8, 2006, 04:04 PM
Anyone who likes 24 should google Blogs4Bauer (I don't have anything to do with it, either). It is a hoot.

Where my fiancee and I laugh is when Jack:

Starts out of a helocopter for a tactical entry with a pistol. (last season)

Drops a guy dead at about 150 yards with one round from a pistol. (last season)

Interrogates Robocop and shoots Robocop's wife (Monday).

The show is addictive, and is a real hoot.

After the first season I came up with the solution for all the problems....

Kill Bauer, he is bad luck...

fish2xs
March 8, 2006, 04:12 PM
Interrogates Robocop and shoots his Robocop's wife (Monday).

That was classic! 24 may get as close to non-PC as we can hope from pitiful Hollywood. I'm REAL glad my wife wasn't in the room to see my reaction to that scene! :evil:

Mackey needs 3 other men as backup to catch a single dug dealer

...yea but JB needs to contact CTU for things like sattelite imagery, frequencies to blow up suicide vests, etc.

So to keep it gun-related, does JB shoot

A. a .45 because it's a man's round
B. a 9mm because every round he fires hits between the eyes and a 9mm gives him more capacity

-or-

C. whatever rounds he picked up off the last bad guy he killed

If you enjoyed reading about "'24' is Really Addicting, Isn't It???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!