ruger m77 mark 2 trigger job

PDA

tssievert
March 7, 2006, 08:31 PM
i know its a dangerous adventure for the average gun owner but i'd like to try it anyway and if i screw it up i'll buy the aftermarket trigger. is there any other info on it other than on centralfirecentral.com? i would like to read a little more before i attempt this. once complete how do you check for safe operation? drop test? fast chamering? please give me some more info

If you enjoyed reading about "ruger m77 mark 2 trigger job" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ironhat
March 8, 2006, 03:18 PM
I don't believe that a forum is sufficient to give you the info necessary to do a good and safe job on your rifle. There are many smithing books available for the amateur which have good photos and explanations. The list of suggested tools for some of the jobs was enough to make me think twice since, in all liklihood, I would only be doing one of a particular job. I've done a couple of triggers and botched one on a Marlin 886, 22 WMR - I didn't know that the surfaces were hardened. I never gt around to having it re-treated but the pull is much smoother and a bit lighter. Get informed and you won't be sorry!;)

loadedround
March 8, 2006, 09:53 PM
I am a Ruger and collector and have worked on a 1/2 dozen Model 77's. My first suggestion to you is learn how your trigger works by removing action from the stock and working the action. Then determine how to disassemble the trigger(very easy job) and polish all the bearing surfaces to a mirror finish. Lightly lube and assemble. You will be pleased on the improvement in your trigger. If still too heavy, by a lighter spring from Brownells or MidwayUSA. Don't cut your original one. All of the above is safe if you take your time.

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
March 10, 2006, 04:59 PM
Too bad yours is a Mark II.

The previous Ruger 77 had three adjustments. (only accessible with the stock removed.) -At least mine does. Yes, what LoadedRound said is the first step. No power tools. Fine jewelers files and stones.

Then I would recommend a Trapper spring kit for your rifle. There's only one spring, but the trapper kit comes in a set of three weight values. Well worth the $15.00. http://www.apwcogan.com/trapper_spring_kits.htm
Give them a call, I notice that the kit isn't on the website anymore, but I know it exists. I put a light spring in my nephew's ss77MkII last year. After I had stoned surfaces, it made all the difference.

-Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "ruger m77 mark 2 trigger job" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!