Paintballs and Cats...

PDA

Biker
March 8, 2006, 10:55 AM
If this is out of line Mods, feel free to close.
Can a paintball launched fron an el cheapo paintball gun injure a cat at 15 yards or so?
Biker

If you enjoyed reading about "Paintballs and Cats..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
coltrane679
March 8, 2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks for perpetuating the image of gun owners as cretins.

Preacherman
March 8, 2006, 10:58 AM
Depends on the weight of the paintball and the velocity at which it's launched. IIRC, the US Army determined some decades ago that any projectile hitting the human body with more than 64 ft/lbs. of energy could inflict injury. If the weight and velocity calculate out to anywhere close to this figure (maybe considerably less, given that cats are a lot smaller than humans), then yes, it could cause injury or death.

'Card
March 8, 2006, 11:02 AM
I don't think you'd permanently injure the cat at 15 yards. I've been hit with a lot of paintballs, and they sting, but I can't see one damaging a cat's internal organs or anything - not unless you pumped them into it at point-blank range.

As far as the second post... I kind of like being a cretin, thank you very much. :)

old4x4
If there's a problem w/ a neighbor's cat, possibly bounce them off of the ground just short of the thing. I can understand not wanting to injure, just stinging it to discourage whatever its doing.

Biker
Coltrane...
You might check out my reasoning before you throw out the "c" word.

Preacherman
I'm asking because I need to find a way to positively identify cats for animal control (I don't have a video cam) before they will issue 'at large' tickets to irresponsible cat owners and I *didn't* want to injure or kill the animals.
Thanks for your reply.
Biker

V4Vendetta
March 8, 2006, 11:05 AM
Good for you biker. My grandma had the same problem. Except she just used a shotgun. I've never played paintball so I'm no help to you on that subject.

Biker
March 8, 2006, 11:07 AM
Card...
Personally, I prefer 'Philistine'.;)
Biker

One of Many
March 8, 2006, 11:09 AM
I would think that the toxicity of the paint would be the primary problem, assuming the shock of impact didn't cause internal damage. Cats clean themselves by licking their body with the tongue, so any toxin on their fur will be ingested.

Indy7373
March 8, 2006, 11:10 AM
Philistine does have a nice ring to it, but I myself have always been partial to lummox or shmuck. :D

'Card
March 8, 2006, 11:11 AM
'Philistine' works, but I'm already a redneck and a hillbilly, so I figured being a 'cretin' was probably sort of a promotion.

Back to the original topic though...

I'm 90% certain that common paintball paint isn't toxic. I've seen guys get hit in or around the mouth, and they didn't immediately start projectile vomiting or anything.

Personally, I'd be pretty comfortable marking the cats with a paintball gun. I mean, worst-case scenario is what? Dead cat? Big deal. If you aren't comfortable with that though, you might consider a paintball-style grenade. I'm not certain if they still make them or not, but they used to make these cannisters that you could pull a pin out of and throw, and when the timer expired they would spray paint (non-toxic non-permanent paintball paint) over everything within a certain radius. Seems like that way you could mark the cats without actually hitting them with anything.

rero360
March 8, 2006, 11:27 AM
when my cousin got a paintball gun for christmas a number of years ago we proceeded to try it out on our grandfather's beagle, distance was probably about 25 to 30 meters or so and it didn't really bother him, just kind of looked at us like ***? as far as cats go, I say skip the paintballs and go right to the .22 or .17hornet and perform the 3 Ss:evil:

Biker
March 8, 2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I have a pellet gun that would send the pesky buggers to the big catbox in the sky if that was my intention, but a lot of cat owners don't really care that much about their animals and will just get another. So my reasoning is, hit 'em in the wallet and they'll think twice. An 'at large' ticket is pretty spendy in these parts.
'Sides, my general rule is, I don't kill it unless I want to eat it or it wants to eat me.:)
Biker

doggscube
March 8, 2006, 11:40 AM
A coworker came in one day and said, "I got a cat this weekend." Knowing his opinion on cats, we expressed surprise.

So he explained: "I was up in the tree stand and this cat came up over the hill...."

Then we understood.

-Jeff

George S.
March 8, 2006, 11:42 AM
How about contacting your local Aniumal Control or animal shelters and see if they have traps you can use. These are wire mesh boxes that will let a small animal in (tempt it with some food) and a door closes behind it trapping the cat inside. You can then take cat and cage to the animal control people.

If the cats have collars and tags, or even a microchip, they can be identified and the owners can be notified and cited where required. If the owners don't claim the cat and the cat is healthy, it will most like be put up for adoption (maybe at the other end of the state :D )

Bartholomew Roberts
March 8, 2006, 11:42 AM
1) Paintballs are just filled with colored detergent and are non-toxic.

2) When I was in Japan, they used to have dye-marking 6mm BBs for airsoft that left a little splotch when they hit something (usually). The plastic airsoft BBs hit with a lot less impact than a paintball. Particularly when fired out of one of the spring action airsoft guns. The downside is the mark is pretty small and you'll have to be closer to the target; but a domestic cat shouldn't be too hard to stalk (at least the first time).

MS .45
March 8, 2006, 11:44 AM
Most paintball markers have the ability to be dialed down in velocity by controling how much CO2 in released with each shot. Tinker with the speed of the shots until you are satisfied that no permanant injury will be inflicted. Aslo remember that, when shot over a certain distance, paintballs tend to have a flight-path that is erratic. Because of this your aim will suffer at distances over 50-75 feet.

Manedwolf
March 8, 2006, 11:45 AM
Personally, I'd be pretty comfortable marking the cats with a paintball gun. I mean, worst-case scenario is what? Dead cat? Big deal.

And an owner righteously coming after you to beat you within an inch of your life for killing their pet?

That'd be my reaction. I happen to LIKE my animals, thanks.

V4Vendetta
March 8, 2006, 11:45 AM
"'Sides, my general rule is, I don't kill it unless I want to eat it or it wants to eat me."

What if it's just a bandit who wants to kill you but not eat you?:uhoh: :D :scrutiny:

Manedwolf
March 8, 2006, 11:50 AM
as far as cats go, I say skip the paintballs and go right to the .22 or .17hornet and perform the 3 Ss

Okay. THIS one gets the "making gun owners look like cretins" label. :barf:

Hunting is one thing. Taking pleasure in shooting at harmless domestic animals bred to depend on and trust humans doesn't indicate anything but a sadistic streak and a profound overcompensation for lack of endowment.

Sindawe
March 8, 2006, 11:51 AM
99.9% of the paintballs on that market are non-toxic, so the issue of the cat injesting the paint is not an issue. The cats NOT gonna be happy, cause the stuff tastes HORRIBLE. If you cut down the pressure on the marker so that its only shooting at about 200 fps or less, that will minimize the chance of doing permanent injury to the offending cat.

Most cats are programmed to avoid pain and scary things. Mine HATE the paintball guns and even the "scary bottle" (CO2 tank with a valve). No, I've not shot them, just one or two blank discharges in the house and now they are GONE at the sight of 'em, or sound of my working the action on the pump guns. One or two pops with the marker, followed up by a discharge of compressed air or CO2 should condition them pretty well that your property is NOT a good place.

auschip
March 8, 2006, 11:51 AM
A paintball gun can injure an animal at 15 yards. I would actually switch to an airsoft gun instead. They use a lighter round and are less likely to cause an injury. Plus, it doesn't leave a mark on the animals for the neighbor to complain about.

V4Vendetta
March 8, 2006, 11:54 AM
"I would actually switch to an airsoft gun instead. "

If he did that, they animal control folks couldn't tell what owners to ticket. I'm not aware of any airsoft gun that uses painted BB's.

HankB
March 8, 2006, 11:55 AM
How about contacting your local Aniumal Control or animal shelters and see if they have traps you can use. . . . You can then take cat and cage to the animal control people.Friend of mine had a better idea.

Neighbor's cats were coming in his yard ALL THE TIME and making a mess, and neighbor didn't care . . . you know, "Cats need to roam" and all that nonsense.

So he set out a life trap and eventually caught one of the neighbor's cats.

Early in the morning, about the time the cat would be going back to get fed, he liberally doused the cat with skunk screen and let it go home. :D

Owner had a lot of cleaning up to do inside, as rugs, furniture, etc. all gained the "aroma" of skunk. Guy eventually did away with the kitty door; last I heard, the cats were being kept inside where they belong.

Biker
March 8, 2006, 11:56 AM
I did purchase a cat trap last year and it worked well, but one or two families went to the shelter and picked their cats up and brought them home and now the cats are too smart to fall for the trap a second or third time.
I'm looking for a plan B before I'm forced to employ the 'nuclear option'.:)
Biker

Sindawe
March 8, 2006, 11:58 AM
Taking pleasure in shooting at harmless domestic animals...Domestic cats are FAR from harmless Manedwolf. If the animal sets it mind to it, one can really frell you up big time with the claws and teeth. They also do a great deal of damage to the local small wildlife population, capturing and killing all sorts of creatures. Toms marking territory can damage property with their urine (if its porous, once its been marked its gonna get marked again, and again, and again...) and free roaming cats are a hazard to stay at home cats, traffic and the like.

auschip
March 8, 2006, 11:59 AM
If he did that, they animal control folks couldn't tell what owners to ticket. I'm not aware of any airsoft gun that uses painted BB's.

True, then again, I can't imagine animal control ticketing the owner of a dead or severly injured cat. I use airsoft guns as a deterent, it only takes a couple of shots and the offending animal stays away. Think of it as a reverse Pavlovian Response.

bcolorado
March 8, 2006, 12:02 PM
Imagine this scenerio...

Cat walks up to a caged bird sitting on the ground in someones backyard. Upon approaching the cage paintball landmines are triggered by his little paws......:D

pauli
March 8, 2006, 12:08 PM
perhaps a camera would be more suitable.

JMusic
March 8, 2006, 12:11 PM
Biker how about a shotgun and rocksalt!:) Just joking. If you have a concern about a paintball (which I would not) warnm them up some. They are just a jell capsul. The colder they are the harder they become get the temp up some and they become pretty pliable.
Jim

Biker
March 8, 2006, 12:16 PM
Yeah, guess I'm just a softy, Jim. My goal is to keep 'em out of my yard without killing them. Guess I'll give the paintballs a try. Too bad I can't get some filled with OC.;)
Biker

pauli
March 8, 2006, 12:21 PM
if all you want to do is keep them out of the yard, get a supersoaker with a mild ammonia mixture. or just grab the straight stuff and mark your territory.

JMusic
March 8, 2006, 12:23 PM
They make them. Probably just get on you more than the cat. Always did me.:)
Jim

bcolorado
March 8, 2006, 12:43 PM
Years ago We had a problem with the neighbors cat spraying our basement window wells. They made the finished basement unusable. Numerous calls to animal control resulted in no help. I changed tatics and called animal control again. This time I told them about the poor kitty being left outside, scared and all alone. The poor thing could be hit by a car , injured by a meany dog......:eek:

There was so much action at the neighbors house that I thought the SWAT team had arrived. Problem was over:D

zahc
March 8, 2006, 12:48 PM
I'm 90% certain that common paintball paint isn't toxic.

It's not toxic to humans, in small amounts. Paintball fill does contain ethelyne glycol and will kill small animals. My mother's Jack Russel Terrier ate some paintballs and had to have its stomach pumped, and couldn't stand up for several days.

Furthermore a paintball's impact at a decent range will not permanently harm a cat....unless you hit it in the head/eyes. Good luck, though, 1) hitting such a small target and 2) getting a break on something so slippery.

afsnco
March 8, 2006, 12:49 PM
The way I look at it, if I wanted a cat or dog I'd own a cat or dog. I get sick of irresponsible pet owners that let their precious darlings roam free to crap on my yard, leave cat hair all over my lawn furniture, etc. Especially since my family has severe pet dander allergies.

I've set rat traps on the lawn furniture in the past. Finding some cat hair caught in them was very gratifying.

Where can you find that skunk stuff? Punishing the cat and the owner sounds like a great idea!

ebd10
March 8, 2006, 01:08 PM
'Sides, my general rule is, I don't kill it unless I want to eat it or it wants to eat me.

Well, what if it kills what you want to eat? Feral and domestic cats are devastating to native wildlife. They can eradicate quail, songbirds and game birds like chukar and pheasant. The estimate is that nation wide they are responsible for killing a billion birds annually. Judd Cooney had an article in April's Predator X-treme about this very subject. Feral cats are the elephant in the room when it comes to wildlife damage and controlling pests.

When I'm out varmint hunting, my policy is "no collar, no mercy". :evil:

Sgt.Slappy
March 8, 2006, 01:12 PM
Biker:

my general rule is, I don't kill it unless I want to eat it

Who says you can't eat cats?

...Mmmmmm....General Tso's Chicken...:D

svtruth
March 8, 2006, 01:13 PM
paintballs developed from a system for marking animals.
Good luck.

RyanM
March 8, 2006, 01:19 PM
They were used for marking cattle Now, I'm just a dumb city boy, but I'm fairly sure that there is a small difference between a cow and a cat.

Anyway, cats aren't exactly the most robust creatures out there. I'm fairly sure that at any velocity where a paintball will burst, may also injure the cat.

You may want to look into a CO2 powered tranquilizer rifle, and see if anyone sells marking darts instead of the regular hypodermics. I'm fairly sure that some companies make very lightweight "darts" that just release a spray of paint, and don't need as high of an impact velocity as a paintball. They'd also be more accurate, and have a much more precisely controllable velocity.

Other than that, you could try setting some kind of booby trap that dumps a bucket of paint on the cat instead of trapping it in a cage...

Oh, I've tried those 6mm airsoft paintballs, and they won't break on anything softer than a concrete wall 5 feet away. They'd just bounce off a cat. They're also extremely inaccurate.

Zundfolge
March 8, 2006, 01:29 PM
IIRC,
paintballs developed from a system for marking animals.
Yep ... James Hale of Daisy Manufacturing, invented and patented what would become the first paintball gun. This original paintball gun was manufactured and used by farmers and ranchers for marking trees and livestock.
source (http://www.paintball-guns.com/paintball_history.html)

Of course marking a cow is different than marking a cat (cows are a little tougher)

Anyway, you can get paintballs for your airsoft gun.

http://www.airsoftshogun.com/P_213.htm

biggest problem with airsoft is that if someone sees you shooting at fluffy with a "real" gun you'll likely get a visit from the cops ... and they'll be in a bad mood (so go down to Walmart and get one of their cheesy clear plastic (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4433517) Airsoft guns)

12-34hom
March 8, 2006, 01:36 PM
Get a 100 foot extension cord - attach to vacuum cleaner - chase said cats with vacuum cleaner.

May look silly, but guaranteed to keep the cats and neighbors away from your property.

12-34hom.

coltrane679
March 8, 2006, 01:36 PM
Biker, when you volunteer to test the effects of a paintball to the eye, I'll be happy to remove the "cretin" label. Until then, it's yours.

Tokugawa
March 8, 2006, 01:37 PM
I would not reccomend using a paintball. Cats are susceptable to impact injury, according to my vet. Thier internal organs can be easily damaged. The last time I shot a creature with intent to merely "scare", I was forced to watch it crawl away with a broken spine. (squirrill, one pump on a elcheapo crosman BB gun. It got away before I could put it out of it's misery.)

Rezin
March 8, 2006, 01:40 PM
And as far as "No collar, no mercy" my cats have breakaway collars. At least once every other rmonth or so, they lose it. So I hope you enjoy the possibility of taking out someones pet. Ever see a child find it's beloved cat dead from some idiots pursuit of manhood?

I have. It's heartbreaking.

ebd10
March 8, 2006, 01:44 PM
I don't get what the big deal is. Someone's cat comes into my yard to dig holes, leave souvenirs, or harm my pets/children/whatever, it gets a pellet, a rock, or a bullet. If the owner really cared about the thing, they wouldn't let it roam around causing problems.

Rezin
March 8, 2006, 01:52 PM
If the owner really cared about the thing, they wouldn't let it roam around causing problems.

Ever try to catch a cat? My cats can sneak out now and then. I do mostly keep them indoors. But hey, it happens. Every now and then, as I enter, hands full, one of them can dash past......

So nice to know if my cat escapes, a person like you is out there to take care of it because, god forbid, it digs a hole in the ground.. OH NO, not a hole!!!!

End of all things man. There is a cat in the yard, call the National Guard.......:banghead:

danurve
March 8, 2006, 01:53 PM
You all who are falling back on the psycho liberal must be a manhood thing are full of BS.

Problem; neighborhood mutt dog ripping into trash leaving the yards a complete mess, attracting crows, rats, possum, other sh|t dogs etc.

Solution; Boom-box, Air pump rifle, & a 177cal pellet to the balls.

Result; neigborhood mutt dog leaping 10ft. into the air, with a warp-speed exit, never to return.

Problem solved.

Sindawe
March 8, 2006, 02:00 PM
Get a 100 foot extension cord - attach to vacuum cleaner - chase said cats with vacuum cleaner.

May look silly, but guaranteed to keep the cats and neighbors away from your property.BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! Now THAT would be worth capturing on video! A scary-looking, grizzled biker dude wearing leathers and vest, running around outside chaising cats with a vacuum cleaner.

12-34hom: You owe me a new laptop PC to replace the one I just spewed coffee all over. ;)

Note: I have no idea what Biker actually looks like.

Biker
March 8, 2006, 02:03 PM
Yeah ya do, Sindawe.:cool:
Biker

ebd10
March 8, 2006, 02:05 PM
Every now and then, as I enter, hands full, one of them can dash past......

Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances...You don't want some irate property owner to take out one of your cats? Secure them before filling your hands.

I do find it interesting that somehow, I'm the bad guy because I solve YOUR cat while it is damaging MY property.

Lupinus
March 8, 2006, 02:06 PM
I am in the ball park with Rezin.

My cats get out on occasion, so do the cats of little girls. You can quote the law all you want, if it isn't causing you some serious propery damage or harming your bunny rabbits or some such leave it the hell alone. Cats are not the same as dogs, they get out and they aren't a danger. Now if one is causing some sever problems have at it, but the shoot on sight people need to recollect some lost marbels.

They aren't ferals or have irrisponsable owners that let their dogs roam, they are some little girls pet or some old ladies companion. You want to shoot little things you don't plan to eat go squirrle hunting or down to the dump to shoot rats, leave peoples cats the hell alone unless they are actually causeing damage to your property and the owners have told you to go pound salt.

For the reccord, marking with a paint ball doesn't offend me for purposes of animal control and you aren't some punk kid....which I know isnt thhe case here, if you make sure it isn't toxic.

ebd10
March 8, 2006, 02:08 PM
My cats get out on occasion, so do the cats of little girls.

I see, your concern is "for the children" :rolleyes:

Lupinus
March 8, 2006, 02:10 PM
You all who are falling back on the psycho liberal must be a manhood thing are full of BS.

Problem; neighborhood mutt dog ripping into trash leaving the yards a complete mess, attracting crows, rats, possum, other sh|t dogs etc.

Solution; Boom-box, Air pump rifle, & a 177cal pellet to the balls.

Result; neigborhood mutt dog leaping 10ft. into the air, with a warp-speed exit, never to return.

Problem solved.

We aren't talking about that in which case screw the air gun and put out the big guns. We are talking about people who will shoot a cat for no good reason, big differnce. The mangy mutt or the cat breaking into the hen house has it coming, my cat that just happened to slip past me or some little girls cat who was let out while said little girl is at school is a differnet story.

Lupinus
March 8, 2006, 02:12 PM
I see, your concern is "for the children"

Its for a little girl and for a domestic animal that never hurt no one and just wandered into the line of fire of an ahole who doesn't mind killing a pet for no good reason other then it was out side of a house.

Jubei
March 8, 2006, 02:20 PM
How about filling the paint balls with permenant dye, that way when little Fluffy starts to come home all hot pink and lime green, their owners keep a little better control over them? Maybe you'll start a new trend, the "Splash Cat".

Jubei

Lupinus
March 8, 2006, 02:22 PM
I actually like the airsoft idea, maybe you can makes little baby paint balls for it

ebd10
March 8, 2006, 02:23 PM
a domestic animal that never hurt no one and just wandered into the line of fire of an ahole who doesn't mind killing a pet for no good reason other then it was out side of a house

You mean as opposed to an ahole that can't take responsibility for his or her own pet? It's pet owners like you that make every public park into a sewer by letting their pets crap everwhere without cleaning it up. It's pet owners like you that make other people's backyards into a litterbox. And yet, when fluffy gets out and ends up as lunch for some coyote, or is dispatched by an irate homeowner who's sick of having their flower garden turned into a toilet, you somehow escape responsibility because the pet was "doing what comes naturally" until it ran afoul of real life.

EmGeeGeorge
March 8, 2006, 02:30 PM
Where I live we have numerous feral cats who roam the back yard; we actually trapped one when she had kittens, "imprisoned" her in our home with the little bastards, got them their shots, found homes for all, and got her fixed and kept her... she gets out once in a while but within 2-12 hours is back in the house after crying at he door... We actually encourage their presense... they spray, dig a little, but our field rat problem is non-existant, as are the numerous inbred rabbits that were killing my fruit trees. We'll put a small cup of food out when we see a particular cat... One day while feeding one of them, Papa Kitty, I knocked over a dutch oven and it made a huge racket. we didn't see him for a month after that... I'd recommend two things; blanks in a revolver or .22... or have a friend bring a dog over to piss in your yard... most feral or house cats avoid dog territory like the plague; also ensure that you aren't leaving out trash that may draw scavenging cats, dogs, etc...

Biker
March 8, 2006, 02:30 PM
I have lots of problems with cats. I keep birdfeeders in my yard and they kill the birds. My wife plants flowers and they piss in 'em and kill 'em.
They put paw prints on my Harley and *that* is unforgivable;) .
They do a lot of harm in a number of ways. Having said that, if there's a way to solve the problem peaceably, I will. If not...
BTW, I have dogs, but they're indoors much of the time.
Biker

coltrane679
March 8, 2006, 02:31 PM
Oh wow, I'm called a "liberal" on on a gun board. That must mean I'm REALLY bad.

What you are talking about, essentially, is an open invitation to a breach of the peace. Perhaps I just live in a totally uncivilized place--as opposed to some of you deep thinkers--but around here people get shot all the time (and not with paint balls) over all kinds of trivial crap: flipping off people in traffic (that's a big one), neighborhood arguments over trees cut down, etc., etc. None of these shootings is "right", of course, but legal and moral determinations of right and wrong will scarcely matter to you when you're taking the resulting dirt nap.

Now it seems to me some people might object if you shoot down their pets or the pets of their children. I think that some of them may even overact in the heat of the moment, and somebody can get seriously hurt, or dead. This reality about human nature is what the law tries to prevent, and it is why I think you are genuinely courting trouble by engaging in such things.

It may be the case, of course, that you happen to live in area just totally populated with white-trash losers who are irresponsible with their pets. (Sidenote--if that is true, then one of two things come to mind: either [1] move, or [2] you are among your own element.) But most people, at least in my experience, are not like that.

So, if you shoot Tabby, and Mr. Tabby Owner comes over after seeing his crying kids and plugs you, well...if I'm on the jury, Mr. Tabby Owner is going up for manslaughter, at best. Although it was certainly undeserved, you brought it on yourself, dickweed.

Biker
March 8, 2006, 02:36 PM
Well Coltrane, don't know why you feel the need to call me "dickweed" on top of "cretin", but whatever blows your skirt up.
Personally, if Mr Catowner chooses to come over and attack me, most of my problem is automatically solved.;)
Biker

Sindawe
March 8, 2006, 02:36 PM
Biker: Could be worse. Cats would be walking across the Harley after strolling through brake fluid. Buddy had that happen to his Camaro just after it was painted.

The dog urine idea may work, or coyote urine if you can get it.

'Card
March 8, 2006, 02:38 PM
I realize this is an old pic, and isn't entirely relevant to the topic at hand, but it's simply too appropriate not to post.

http://www.kenthomas.us/images/forum/FreeCat.jpg

Biker
March 8, 2006, 02:39 PM
My male dogs do a decent job of marking the fenced yard. Hadn't thought about 'yote urine.
Biker

coltrane679
March 8, 2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks for sealing the deal on the "gun owners as cretins" stereotype, Biker--it's nice to know we have members eagerly looking forward to armed confrontations over avoidable, trivial issues. I know you're proud you put that one to bed so soundly.

'Card
March 8, 2006, 02:42 PM
You keep repeating that as if you think someone is going to be insulted by it. :)

Biker
March 8, 2006, 02:43 PM
Betcha coltrane. Anything to be of service. *big smooch..mmmmmhhhhaaaaaA!*

Biker

scout26
March 8, 2006, 02:53 PM
A scary-looking, grizzled biker dude wearing leathers and vest, running around outside chaising cats with a vacuum cleaner.

Note: I have no idea what Biker actually looks like.

I've always pcitured Biker as the star of the Bissell rug shampooer commericals....you know the one "MMMMMMMM, Smoothies !!!!"

:D

Lupinus
March 8, 2006, 02:58 PM
You mean as opposed to an ahole that can't take responsibility for his or her own pet? It's pet owners like you that make every public park into a sewer by letting their pets crap everwhere without cleaning it up. It's pet owners like you that make other people's backyards into a litterbox. And yet, when fluffy gets out and ends up as lunch for some coyote, or is dispatched by an irate homeowner who's sick of having their flower garden turned into a toilet, you somehow escape responsibility because the pet was "doing what comes naturally" until it ran afoul of real life.
Actually when I had dogs they were always picked up for. And as I said, if it causes a problem take it up with the owner, if they say screw you then next time you see it have some target practice. But you don't shoot something that has a good probability of being someone pet. Animal wanders across your back yard, whoopy friggin do. If it pissing on your plants or something tell the owner to keep their cat off your property, if it does it agian shoot it, if we are talking serious damage shoot it and forget about the owner. I don't consider pissing on your roses serious damage btw.

They do a lot of harm in a number of ways. Having said that, if there's a way to solve the problem peaceably, I will. If not...
My exact point, which is why I don't mind the paintball idea. It is a few who could care less about shooting someone pet without trying something else first.

Thanks for sealing the deal on the "gun owners as cretins" stereotype, Biker--it's nice to know we have members eagerly looking forward to armed confrontations over avoidable, trivial issues. I know you're proud you put that one to bed so soundly.
Dunno, you are the one saying he has it coming if he shoots an animal damaging his property. Big difference between property damaging which is rightfully killed and just killed while strolling by an ahole with a gun.

kfranz
March 8, 2006, 03:03 PM
I don't consider pissing on your roses serious damage btw.

Lots of folks don't consider shooting your cat to be serious damage, btw.

ebd10
March 8, 2006, 03:07 PM
I don't consider pissing on your roses serious damage btw.

Of course you wouldn't. It's not you who puts the work into growing them. And I never said shoot any cat on sight. If they have no collar, and I don't recognize them, sayonara kitty. But if it's a neighbors cat and I know it, a garden hose is the first weapon of choice.

The bottom line for me is, if I try every reasonable means to prevent your pet from destroying my property and it all fails, the final option is kinetic energy poisoning.

old4x4
March 8, 2006, 03:09 PM
I like the live trap option, too, Biker. The cats don't wisen up to it because they only get caught once. If the thing has a flea collar, it's not feral and I transport it about 20 miles across 2 rivers (happened once and never saw the cat again). :evil:
A 220 Conibear trap works, too. If your animal is running around in my yard, causing damage and killing wildlife, it'll only happen once.

BTW, I own a big, fat male housecat. If he gets out (won't happen), he'll probably get run over by a car. Not the driver's fault. Keep your animals contained...

Bill2k1
March 8, 2006, 03:16 PM
1. paintballs are non toxic
2. just crank the gun down and you won't hurt them. Get a friend/your wife/kid/local drunk to stand out at about 15 yards and shoot them in the thigh, keeping the gun slow enough to just break them.

However animal control may have an issue with you shooting them, you try taking pictures?

Lupinus
March 8, 2006, 03:20 PM
The bottom line for me is, if I try every reasonable means to prevent your pet from destroying my property and it all fails, the final option is kinetic energy poisoning.
Sorry for lumping you into that group then.

As for the roses comment if it is destroying everything in your garden thats one thing, if it whizzes on one or two flowers thats another.

I would use caution reguarding no collar, a lot use break aways so that if they get tangled they wont choke themselves and it is quite possible it just lost its collar. I'd go more by look of the animal.

Lonestar.45
March 8, 2006, 03:29 PM
You could do like my pop did with the poodle next door that kept using our yard for a bathroom. After several exchanges with the owner, dad took matters in his own hands and shot it with .22 ratshot. Didn't kill it, but the neighbor was pissed. This was back in the '70s. She complained. Nothing happened. Times were different then. But I learned a valuable lesson. If a neighbor complains to you about your animals, you probably ought to listen.

Of course, mom used a kinder, gentler tactic and just trapped the neighbors' cats in live traps that were eating her songbirds in our backyard that she fed. Off to the pound they went never to be seen again. Again, one ought to listen to their neighbors' complaints about their animals, or they may not see them again.

I dont think Biker's idea of paint marking is cruel or unusual, it could be a lot lot worse. :D

Kodiaz
March 8, 2006, 03:37 PM
A paintball going at 280 FPS(normal speed for playing) will give you a welt. I don't think it would kill a cat but it would hurt it like hell.

Take it to a paintball store and they can set the velocity there using a chronograph

Taurus 617 CCW
March 8, 2006, 03:43 PM
If the straight paintball thing fails, you could always inject some of the "skunk juice" into a paintball and the situation should take care of itself. On the other hand you could always get a big dog and train it to chase cats. :evil:

afsnco
March 8, 2006, 04:04 PM
It's interesting reading through these posts. People who don't want/like pets are generally ticked about these inconsiderate neighbors' animals being on their property and leaving souvenirs, hair, etc. But people who own them, for the most part, are unapologetic about it.

I don't have any problem whatsoever with other people's pets as long as they stay on their property. After all, they're the neighbor's pets, not mine. As I stated before, if I wanted a pet I'd get one. Their pets aren't precious to me. They're just annoying animals.

If I did own an animal I wouldn't allow it to annoy other people. Too bad my neighbors aren't as considerate.

ArmedBear
March 8, 2006, 04:07 PM
If you have your own pets you don't worry much about the neighbor's cat.

What I don't get is when people "have to make an enclosed kennel for their dog" because it killed a cat or two ON THEIR PROPERTY.

If the dog never leaves the property, then isn't it the cat owner's problem? Surely, if I let my dog run around loose and someone's bigger dog killed her on their property, that would be my fault, wouldn't it? I'd expect it to be.

Master Blaster
March 8, 2006, 04:23 PM
Kitties dont like to get wet, get a monster super soaker and a six pack, paint yours elf with camoflage and do a kitty saffarri.

After you squirt them a couple times I doubt they will be back.

Now as far a shootin them goes I would only do this to ferral cats.

When I lived in the city 10 years ago we had a serious problem with ferral cats, there were about 30-40 of them that lived in and around the yard of a kindly old lady neighbor.

She used to tear open a 10lb bag of generic cat food and spread it in her back yard as dozens of them came running. Now that would have been fine, except that they liked to come onto the neighbor's low roof at night and Howl, SPRAY, and poop. They would do this at 2 am and the stench was so bad that in the summer time you could not open your windows.

Another neighbor and I tried to get the SPCA to do something, but they have a hands off policy towards wild cats, if we wanted to trap them and bring them in they would take them. Well tried that once, its very hard to clean the cat piss smell out of the trunk of the car.....:barf: :mad:

On top of that there was a problem with rabbid raccoons and skunks in our area, Ferral cats had rabbies too. One day I encountered one that was behaving very strangely in my back yard, weaving around shreiking and foaming at the mouth.

After that I and two other neighbors discovered how well CB longs shoot out of a 20"+ .22lr barrel. The best part was they were nearly silent out of a long barrel. (though quite loud out of a pistol)......

I wont bore you with the gory details, but lets say our neighbor started to buy 2lb boxes of cat food and they lasted a while.....

Now if you know the owner and they are pets that live inside its a different story. I would take some of the cat poop you find in the garden and drop it through the open window of their car on a hot summer day, a nice pile on their door step is also a good solution. Think of some messy and inconvenient places for the poo to find its way and maybe they will litter train kitty instead of sending him over to your place for a crap.

TexasRifleman
March 8, 2006, 04:25 PM
If the straight paintball thing fails, you could always inject some of the "skunk juice" into a paintball and the situation should take care of itself.

I've been hit with a couple of off brand paintballs that smelled like they already had skunk juice in them.....rank.

I'd try the Super Soaker too, that's worked for me in the past. I hate cats, but I still don't want to actually harm one.

Pray for their extinction maybe, but I don't want to hunt them all down.....

C. Rabbit
March 8, 2006, 04:36 PM
My family has a couple dogs. One of them is a real gun dog, in that she loves to be around guns and things that go 'boom', and will try to run after the bullet.

When I was paintballing in my backyard once, she ran between me and my opponent. We were both shooting each other, and she was trying to chase the paintballs. As she sniffed around, she got hit with several paintballs, probably at a distance of 10 yards or less, but didn't seem to notice, and displayed no pain afterwards. In fact, she wanted to go out paintballing again. She's an australian-shepard labradour mix.

CR

Rock45
March 8, 2006, 05:22 PM
Biker, and all else that are interested...

I too have bird feeders, 6 in all, and try to discourage cats from feeding on them while I am enjoying them. I also got sick of the sandy paw prints on my new truck...nuff said.

http://www.safepetproducts.com/product.asp?specific=jnnriqo8

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid202/p26a973d998c4bea78a7052496810138c/efe9732a.jpg

the Scarecrow sprinkler is the stuff! No more cats, none...ever!

Motion activated, attaches to garden hose, scares the ???? out of cats.

Good Luck!

Bryan

Lupinus
March 8, 2006, 05:27 PM
hahaha i want one

Selfdfenz
March 8, 2006, 05:31 PM
Rock45

Excellent. I certainly can see how this may be a perfect solution to the problem.....and a good form in non-dangerous entertainment!

S-

Zundfolge
March 8, 2006, 05:32 PM
http://www.safepetproducts.com/produ...cific=jnnriqo8

the Scarecrow sprinkler is the stuff! No more cats, none...ever!

Motion activated, attaches to garden hose, scares the ???? out of cats.

That is awesome :D

Their site needs videos though. ;)

beaucoup ammo
March 8, 2006, 05:35 PM
(1) Consume 2 six packs of Shiner Bock 2 hours prior to sun set.

(2) When dark, go outside and mark your territory.

(3) Repeat as necessary.

U.S.SFC_RET
March 8, 2006, 05:38 PM
Frozen paintballs hurt.

Harry Tuttle
March 8, 2006, 06:13 PM
i luvs the kitty threads!
they blow up good
reeel goood!

the last one went 8 pages till it locked up:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=20810

280 fps hit at 20 feet:
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//whump.jpg

afsnco
March 8, 2006, 06:44 PM
The downside to the motion-activated sprinkler? Why should I have to pay $80 just so I can "humanely" eliminate a pest?

That's why dowsing the cat with skunk spray is such a good idea. It punishes the inconsiderate owner too. Anybody have a source on that stuff?

c_yeager
March 8, 2006, 06:51 PM
And as far as "No collar, no mercy" my cats have breakaway collars. At least once every other rmonth or so, they lose it. So I hope you enjoy the possibility of taking out someones pet. Ever see a child find it's beloved cat dead from some idiots pursuit of manhood?

I have. It's heartbreaking.

If you care so much about your darling little animals, why do you let them roam around outside without supervision? Would you let your chilren do this? There are a few dozen things that will kill your cats, and guys with paintball guns are pretty damn far down the list.

I'm sorry man, but the only person who has a responsibility to protect your pets is YOU and if you arent willing to keep them safe, then dont expect that they will be.

beaucoup ammo
March 8, 2006, 06:54 PM
"It punishes the inconsiderate owner too." And that's who deserves the "reprimend" in the first place. The cat's commin' back. What's he know? He doesn't give a flip. Go to.. and punish.. the source: The Irresponsible Pet Owner.

See You At The Range

AF_INT1N0
March 8, 2006, 07:20 PM
might want to consider on of those .40 cal blow guns with the paint balls..

http://www.blow-gun.com/storefront/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TZSI&Category_Code=40-cal-Blowguns

Still marks the cat, but less likely to injure him. Or you could just shoot that cat with a super soaker, with a little bit of vinegar in the water, could use food coloring as a marker.

What if you covered abunch of nerf balls with a light paint and then shot the cat with a nerf gun??

Also. As far as the calling Biker a cretin... Didn't he say he didn't want to hurt Fluffy??

There is nothing wrong with not wanting someone elses animal in your yard. especially if said animal is messing something up. I also think that discuraging Kitty from entering the yard is an acceptable practice. Biker is obviously going out of his way to not to harm anything.

As a side note, the vaccuum cleaner is probably the funniest Idea I have heard so far.

Brandon
March 8, 2006, 07:40 PM
I love him, he loves me. He has NEVER gotten out of my yard, knock on wood. I spend a lot of time and money keeping his pen and fence in good condition.

If he got out and got shot, I would mourn him, I would probably lose some sleep and then I would get over it.

Some of the same people that have a problem with people shooting a wayward pet misbehaving would have no problem shooting someone else's son or daughter in a holdup, robbery or other criminal activity. After they are just doing what "comes natural" "he really was a good boy". They just wander and make mistakes.

It would also help if the cat people would not get so pollyanna emotional. Many of the emotional remarks I have seen here regarding cats and pets could only be rivaled on the DU.

Upriver
March 8, 2006, 07:41 PM
I echo the super-soaker plan - but with a twist. Go to your local agricultural supply / farm and garden and ask for red, blue or purple spray tracer dye (the blue and purple seem to be easier to some by, but the blue is the hardest to see on a dark background). While water soluble, these don't come off without a serious amount of effort.

BTW, don't get the concentrate on your hands - you'll be amazed how many places you find dye in a relatively short period of time. Also, this stuff probably isn't eye-friendly, and a little bit goes a long way.

Philistines unite. :)

pax
March 8, 2006, 07:46 PM
Lots of solutions to choose from.

Closing this now because it's really off topic.

pax

If you enjoyed reading about "Paintballs and Cats..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!