7.62x39 grenade launching blanks

PDA

chopinbloc
March 8, 2006, 11:16 AM
i did a search on ask jeeves and here at this forum and i am unable to come up with a source for grenade launching blanks or regular blank rounds for the sks. there was a thread that had several links on this forum but none of them still had the blank rounds except for the grossly overpriced gunblanks.com. if any body has an idea where i can buy blanks i'd appreciate it. i'd prefer not to muck around with pulling bullets. thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x39 grenade launching blanks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Crosshair
March 8, 2006, 11:29 AM
I make my own blanks. All you do is pull the bullet on a regular round, put the powder from the round back in and then pack in as mch tissue paper as you can fit. (Use a wodden dowel so you can't create a spark.) Really pack it so you get good powder ignition. Only use tissue paper (Not the kind for your nose either. Magazine paper and newspaper leaves soot and stuff in the bore where tissue paper burns cleaner. As always, to be safe, check to bore/runs a quick swab down the barrel before firing live rounds. Just to cover the legal part, Use this method at your own risk.

MechAg94
March 8, 2006, 12:45 PM
I have seen them around. Look for people who sell ammo both wholesalers and gun show guys. You ought to find some.

Did you get a golf ball launcher or something?

Firehand
March 8, 2006, 01:00 PM
Place called Northwest Loading Supply used to carry them, but last time I checked they're out.

Cacique500
March 8, 2006, 07:16 PM
Try these guys...it's where I got my last batch from:

www.gulfcoastammunition.com

Langenator
March 9, 2006, 12:42 AM
There's another source out there somewhere. For our training we use contractors to play 'insurgents'. They're armed with WASRs with a BFA replacing the muzzle cxompensator. The blanks they use are brass and have Cyrillic markings. Maybe Yugoslavian.

Not sure if the Army is supplying them with the blanks or not.

Crosshair
March 9, 2006, 02:10 AM
Where do I go to play "insurgents". Do they need training on boobytraps cause I can do those too.:D

nomadboi
March 9, 2006, 01:12 PM
Pretty sure I've seen them at sportsmansguide and/or cheaperthandirt

Langenator
March 9, 2006, 01:17 PM
Name of the company that provides the 'insurgents' and COBs is SMi. That's for Ft Lewis, WA.

nomadboi
March 9, 2006, 01:27 PM
Hey, that actually sounds kinda fun, and it's in my neck of the woods. Do they pay decently?

yesterdaysyouth
March 9, 2006, 03:55 PM
ditto that, now we just need a source for m31 practice grenades.... i've got a sks and an fr8 that are begging to use that launcher...:evil:

nomadboi
March 9, 2006, 04:33 PM
There was something (I think on this forum) a while back about an adapter people were using to launch golf balls or tennis balls... sounded like they were having a blast playing with the things.

Don't know why I keep reading and remembering these things... don't own a rifle and can't even afford to buy an SKS right now, but one of these years maybe...

boo17
March 9, 2006, 05:16 PM
Here:
http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__17/Grenade_Launching_Devices___Ca/grenade_launching_devices___ca.html

nomadboi
March 9, 2006, 06:49 PM
Out of curiousity- when using these to launch grenades (or golf balls, or whatever), will it cycle the bolt on an SKS or AK?

Cacique500
March 9, 2006, 08:24 PM
It will *not* cycle the bolt. As an added safety measure I only loaded one blank at a time since your fingers go near the muzzle to load the golfball.

Great fun though. For an additional 200 yards, place a small piece of thin cloth around the golfball to secure it more tightly (think blackpowder patch & ball) - amazing the difference it made. :D

chopinbloc
March 10, 2006, 12:14 AM
yes, it's for a golf ball launcher. it seems that the only sources for manufactured blanks are about a dollar a round. seems counter intuitive. guess i'll just make 'em. thanks for the tip about the cloth. i can't wait. bet they'd get pissed if i brought one to the driving range. it's a very caddyshack thing to do, though.:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x39 grenade launching blanks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!