Best gun & ammo for Covenant.

PDA

V4Vendetta
March 8, 2006, 12:49 PM
I read in another thread about guns in space & it got me to thinking. I'm a big "Halo" fan. What would be the best gun & ammo for the evil Covenant that we will undoubtedly have to fight?

I'm thinking about a Ruger 10/22 with a good scope to pick off the Grunts with headshots while we are a pretty good ways away. Since the Grunts usually travel in the company of at least 1 Elite, I reckon a simultaneous burst of 12 gauge slugs & 30-06 rounds should take care of the Elite.

Once they are gone, we rush in & grab their gear. I call dibs on the best 2 plasma pistols.:neener:

Your thoughts.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best gun & ammo for Covenant." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mole
March 8, 2006, 03:31 PM
Nothing at all. I just beat it last night (on easy) using only melee attacks. The flood are an annoying problem until you get the brute shot. That bayo does some serious damage. I don't think you can kill a hunter, so you'll need to keep your allies alive to shoot it while you dance with it.

As far as an actual gun, I'd say an sks. Once you run out of ammo you can beat the slop out of them and stick'em. If you watch yourself, it's not hard to board the vehicles. The bugs and snipers might be a problem, so I'd drag along a scoped bolt .243. No sore shoulder for this spartan.:D

Vitamin G
March 8, 2006, 03:35 PM
Plasma rifle in the 70 watt range...

But your thread made me think about "guns in space" actually... That would be easy to sight in a 10/22 same POI at 50yards as 5000

Maxwell
March 8, 2006, 03:48 PM
One thing that always bugged me with that game, where were the battlerifles?
Damn near every gun you get has either no penetration, low ammo counts, or dosnt do squat until you pump 20 shots into an alien.

Masterchief could use better guns.

Stiletto Null
March 8, 2006, 03:51 PM
BALANCE.

Halo 2 was a bit less bad on the realism front than Halo 1, though. The "Assault Rifle" was a 7.62x51 weapon...but weak as hell.

At least the Halo 2 battle rifle didn't suck so much. It tears through weak enemies like whoa and even Elites and Brutes went down without too much fuss (you can chalk their resilience up to armor, at least).

Realistically:
Weak Covenant (Grunts, those annoying flying things, Jackals, etc.): 5.56 automatic rifles, doubledrums preferably
Brutes: any of the various full-house rifles
Elites: Uhh...shields make my brain hurt (the physics don't make sense). So pretending that shields are meant to operate against projectiles, flamethrowers.
Flood: 5.56 automatic rifles.

V4Vendetta
March 8, 2006, 04:37 PM
I always thought the best anti-Flood weapon was the 12 gauge from H1:cool: . In H2 they changed the shotgun to a 28 gauge:barf: .

As for the Brutes, they require the same caliber for Gorillas in my opinion if not higher.

Spec ops Grunt
March 8, 2006, 05:00 PM
In the manuals it says 8 gauge.

english kanigit
March 8, 2006, 10:43 PM
Solothurn.
http://www.amsd.ch/pictures/S18/S18-WEB.gif

'Nuff said. :evil:

Sinsaba
March 8, 2006, 10:51 PM
9mm w/many high cap mags loaded with EXTREME SHOCK ammo http://www.extremeshockusa.com/

Silent-Snail
March 9, 2006, 08:36 AM
Stilletto Null
I gotta disagree with you about the Battle Rifle vs Assault Rifle.
For me the only things I didn't bother using the Assault Rifle on were large Flood and the plasma tanks. OTOH the Battle Rifle is a waepon of last resort only.

V4
Somehow the .22lr seems a bit underpowered even for Grunt skulls. But I could be wrong.

As to the question posed in the thread title I'd have to say a 1918 BAR in 30.06.

TexasRifleman
March 9, 2006, 08:41 AM
Well seeing as how the Chief was a hefty guy, I think he could have carried the BAR around, and enough ammo to keep it happy for a while....

'06 AP should be able to get through most of the armor huh?

V4Vendetta
March 9, 2006, 12:17 PM
"9mm w/many high cap mags loaded with EXTREME SHOCK ammo http://www.extremeshockusa.com/ "

:what: :eek: Is that legal for civilians to own? Is it a class 3 item or what?

MS .45
March 9, 2006, 12:26 PM
I would have to say a battle rifle in .30-06 would be the best option. The assault rifle in both games felt under powered to me. Although the one in Halo 2 was better than the first.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best gun & ammo for Covenant." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!