my 10/22's accuracy

PDA

colt.45
March 8, 2006, 04:24 PM
what kind of accuracy are you guys getting out of your stock 10/22? mine has ben getting 4moa sinse i got it but i dont think it should be that inaccurate. some jackass did knock it off the rack once at the range:fire::cuss: but i dont think thats the cause of it.

ive had it for a while and love it but i think it should be more accurate

If you enjoyed reading about "my 10/22's accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
30-06 lover
March 8, 2006, 04:34 PM
Most 10/22s only shoot about one inch to 1.5" at 50 yards. You have to find the load your barrel likes. Buy a bunch of 22 loads in different weights, designs (solid, HP, semi-wadcutter), and manufacturer. If you still have the barrel band on it, remove it and see how the gun shoots. the band can put a presure point on the barrel that can ruin the accuracy. It has been my experience that most barrels shoot CCI Mini-Mags well, including my own.

ID_shooting
March 8, 2006, 04:36 PM
Are you scoped?

My 10/22, Stainless, but stock, gives right at 1 inch @ 100 with CCI velociters from a rest.

colt.45
March 8, 2006, 04:38 PM
yes im scoped. ill try removing the barrel band and try some more ammo types.

Grump
March 8, 2006, 04:51 PM
You will rarely get better than 2 MOA without going to match ammo. Bulk-pack is rotgut.

1. Check your crown. Damage there can make even good ammo spray.

2. What kinds of groups do you get with other guns? I have a lot more confidence in my test results after doing a check with a known ammo/rifle combo and confirming that *I* can still shoot it the same as before.

3. How much wobble do you get from your scoped rig, when getting your 4 MOA accuracy? My last ammo test was in a bit of a rush and I could see a good 2-inch wobble zone. I called my shots and knew what shot was at 9 o'clock by that much (1 inch left of perfect) and what shot was off by 1/2-inch at 11 o'clock. The group printed 3 MOA, but I could also tell the ammo and rifle were really shooting closer to 2 MOA. Another load DID shoot 4 MOA and my match bullets shot 1.5 MOA, with my wobble area and shot calls showing only a 1-inch wobble zone by then.

The sandbags and I settled in by then.

colt.45
March 8, 2006, 05:10 PM
what do you mean by wobble?:scrutiny: scopes shouldnt wobble at all

ChefGW
March 8, 2006, 05:22 PM
Bulk-pack is rotgut.

My 10/22 shoots best with Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack.

Just try different ones and see what you get.

I can keep all shots inside a dime at 50 yards. But I also have an aftermarket stock and barrel.

Rob1035
March 8, 2006, 05:47 PM
mine, bone stock save for a VQ hammer will do ~1.5 at 25yds, with iron sights mind you, sitting. It will do ~1" if I use from and rear rests and try really really hard. This is perfectly acceptable for me. If I'm shooting at 100yds, I'll break out the .17HMR or .223 bolt guns, not an $150 .22lr semi...

edit- those figures are with whatever 500-550 pack I happen to buy; again, if I'm spending more money for less ammo, i'll choose a different round

colt.45
March 8, 2006, 06:18 PM
rob, why wouldnt you use a $150 22lr at 100 yards? do you think it wont reach or something :neener:

and im not trying to insult you but, i wouldnt be fine wth 6moa groups at 25 yards with iron sights, infact you should never be fine with any groups you have because marksmanship isnt a goal its a journey. theres always something you can improve on. again im not trying to insult you, only help

sorry if i did offend you but it seems like you have kind of a "im not as good as i want to be so im not going to work my ass off to get better" kind of attitude

Rob1035
March 8, 2006, 08:03 PM
No offense taken. I dont really use it for shooting groups, mainly plinking, steel spinners and the like, and for that its plenty accurate and a lot of fun. Could it do better than that? I'm sure. Could I? Most definitely, I'm trying to learn every time I shoot, but that doesn't mean I'm going to focus on Xmoa @ Y range , more like "I can hit the small spinner every time with decent speed" and I have a great time doing that (or trying). When (if?) I get over the grin factor of just plinking with this thing, then I might try to see what it does, but for now I'm happy.

fair enough?

Don't Tread On Me
March 8, 2006, 08:18 PM
Uhh...

4moa is about right for a 10/22. You can shrink this down a little bit with top-quality match ammo. It will NEVER be a 1 to or 1.5 moa gun. People make claims, but that's what they are - claims. Go to rimfirecentral and read the thousands of threads on this very topic. On average (not that couple few miracle groups), it will be 4moa. Smallest groups don't count. Average groups count. People tend to shoot a small group and say "see, this is what it CAN do"...can do is different from what it WILL do everytime.

#1 accuracy upgrade is a new barrel. Ruger barrels are extremely cheap, mass produced barrels. They also have sloppy chambers to feed most ammunition. Virtually any upgrade barrel will cut group size in half, it not more. Never used, take-off Ruger factory barrels sell for $30. Match barrels $100 and up.

Topgun
March 8, 2006, 08:54 PM
I have a very early one in the 35,000 serial range. It is SUPERBLY accurate. I put my old BalVar 8 on it with a mount milled from a M-88 Win B&L scope mount.
It also has great figure in the WALNUT stock.

Them old ones is purdy great.

Can skip shotgun shells out to 75-85 yards or so.

:)

rangerruck
March 8, 2006, 10:36 PM
any ruger that shoots 1.5 moa or better, is the exception, not the rule. that is a fact.

BamBam-31
March 8, 2006, 10:40 PM
Agree on the barrel upgrade. Look into the Green Mountain barrels. I bought mine for about $70, and I can shoot dime-sized 5-shot groups at 50 yds. consistently. Very easy to change yourself, too.

Upgrading Rugers is half the fun. ;)

Rob1035
March 8, 2006, 10:46 PM
One man's results (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90223) with the stock barrel, although the usual "it might do it once..." qualifiers apply.

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/939/P1022/50%20yd%20target.jpg

FWIW

JohnKSa
March 8, 2006, 10:54 PM
4moa is about right for a 10/22. You can shrink this down a little bit with top-quality match ammo. It will NEVER be a 1 to or 1.5 moa gun.While the out of the box 10/22 rifles aren't that accurate, they can be with very little work. I've never had one that wouldn't shoot under an inch at 50 yards after the following procedure.

1. Remove the barrel band.
2. Put a small felt self-adhesive pad in the very front of the barrel channel.
3. Bed the back of the receiver.

I hate barrel bands, so I take them off whenever I can do so.

The felt pad in the barrel channel helps dampen barrel vibrations and keep things more consistent--I got this tip from a fellow who makes and sells custom rimfire rifles often based on 10/22 actions. He said in his experience that this usually gave better results than free-floating in rimfire rifles.

Bedding the back of the receiver keeps the barrelled action from swinging on the stock screw. There's a lot of space in that stock and without the barrel band there's nothing to keep the screw from turning into a pivot. You know, you might be able to get the same effect without doing the bedding by leaving the barrel band in place and putting the felt pad in the barrel channel directly under the barrel band. I don't know cause I never tried that--since I hate barrel bands. :D

I usually do a bit of work on the trigger too... The newer ones are pretty stiff.

Don't Tread On Me
March 9, 2006, 02:31 AM
I have a modified 10/22. It is a tackdriver right now. Before, with its stock barrel, good scope, resting, and of course my shooting skills ( :eek: ) I would make groups around an inch @ 50 yards at best. With junk bulk back, I could do 3/8" at 25 yards at best. But this wasn't consistent - most were worse, and that works out to more than 1 or 1.5 moa.

If you have a 1 or 1.5 moa consistent stock 10/22 - you are part of the very small minority. Probably less than 1% of all 10/22's. That might be generous. Keep that rifle and cherish it. People spend upwards of $400 to get that kind of accuracy out of 10/22. Others give up on the .22LR entirely and go to the .17hmr for a cheap MOA gun.

db_tanker
March 9, 2006, 06:44 AM
My 10/22 is just perfect.

Stock barrel, Hogue stock, Tasco 3-9 scope and a handfull of Butler Creek 25's with a mag loader and your set for a solid half day of "Minute of Can" fun at 50-75 yards.

If I want somthing to make holes with very little space between, then I grab up one of my other long-arms...or go with my 17 hummer.

D

dfaugh
March 9, 2006, 08:56 AM
You WON'T find the words "accuracy" and "10/22" used in the same sentence, very often (unless its been modified)

You WILL find the word "accuracy" and "Marlin Model 60" in the same sentence, VERY often.

Let the flame wars begin:fire:

loadedround
March 9, 2006, 04:12 PM
My unaltered 10-22 with a 4X scope with shoot 3/4" groups at 50 yds with the ammo it likes(Remington Std Vel Target).

idahoemt
March 9, 2006, 06:43 PM
I apologize if this is blatantly obvious to everyone else, but what does MOA stand for? Being a newbie, I generally research unfamiliar acronyms myself rather than post a lot of "What does X mean?" questions, but I can't quite figure this one out. :confused:

ArmedBear
March 9, 2006, 06:46 PM
Minute
Of
Angle

(Degrees Minutes Seconds from trigonometry)

1 MOA is approximately 1" at 100 yards.

And a 10/22 will shoot 1" groups at 50 yards with little difficulty.

If someone dropped it, maybe the barrel is loose. The barrel is just pressed into the receiver and tightened with a set screw. If the scope is tight (and a good quality scope, NOT A BSA!!!) and everything else seems okay, consider the barrel.

idahoemt
March 9, 2006, 07:08 PM
Thanks ArmedBear. No wonder I couldn't figure it out, trigonometry and I get along about as well blowtorches and ice cubes. ;)

Odd Job
August 19, 2006, 05:18 PM
I tried one of the club's 10/22s the other day and somebody had messed up the scope so that it was shooting at least 15cm out. Groups looked reasonable so I did them a favour and set the scope back in. I regard myself as an average shot with a rifle so I am sure many here would do better (and it was at only 30 yards on an indoor range). This was my best group, ten shots:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/Odd_Job/Ruger10-2230yds.jpg

The group is 2cm edge-to-edge. The rifle is a standard 10/22 stainless and the ammo was a cheap box of Eley. This was benchrested (well, I didn't have any sandbags so I ended up resting just the 20-round mag on the desk). I'm pretty sure that with bags and a better scope I could do that at 50 yards too, or maybe even further. Of course there were groups that were not as tight, but they were all respectable, typically within an inch.

Davo
August 19, 2006, 06:11 PM
If you want a bit of an improvment in accurracy, you can add a VQ hammer that will lighten the pull to about 3 lbs...you can get this part for as little as 30 bucks. It will make off hand shooting much easier. If you are using a cheap scope and mounts, make sure they arer tight, and give them time to settle in. Use good ammo when really shooting for groups. 3 moa is really about all a small game/plinking rifle needs to be.

Superpsy
August 19, 2006, 06:23 PM
You WON'T find the words "accuracy" and "10/22" used in the same sentence, very often (unless its been modified)

what color is the sky in your world? :scrutiny: Stock 10/22s are accurate in my book. Maybe you've just had a bad experience with one? :rolleyes:

Back on topic I would definitely second the idea of getting a VQ hammer. And while you're at it why not change the extractor and put a bolt buffer in there? I mean, why stop halfway? :D

DWARREN123
August 19, 2006, 07:01 PM
Some place else to ask for info on your 10/22 is;

WWW.RIMFIRECENTRAL.COM

Not that people here can not help but as the name implies it's about rimfires.

skeeter1
August 19, 2006, 08:08 PM
Shot my first 10/22 last week. Basic carbine model, nothing fancy, no scope, but we were having a great time shooting tin cans off of a log at ~60yds. Great fun, which is what I think the rifle was intended for.

If you're looking for MOA accuracy out of a 10/22, I doubt you'll ever achieve it, no matter how much money you pump into it. If that's what you're after I think you're going to have to go bolt-action. Even my scoped Marlin 39 is lucky to get me a group under 2-3 MOA.

hksw
August 19, 2006, 09:49 PM
As others have replied with their results, the 10/22s I have have never shot better than 1" at 50 yds. Regularly between 1¼"-2". Also have never seen anyone else's stock 10/22 shoot any better. So, the initial post groups seem normal to me. (Been shooting since '88 but only have been seriously looking at 10/22s for about 16 yrs.)

As for 2 cm at 30 yds (why the mixing of units?), this is about 1.31" extrapolated to 50 yds. Again, normal.

As to all talk, I was shooting groups with one of my modded 10/22s (GM bbl, Volq Exact Edge, Kidd, B&C Anschütz-type stock, old Leu 6.5-20X40) and getting 0.30"-0.60" on a slight windy day at 50 yds (Wolf Match Extra, 5 shot groups). Went up to a guy who inquired about my rig earlier to show groups and he mentions his stock 10/22 (plus target hammer) with barrel band will do the same thing. Had to keep from laughing.

rangerruck
August 20, 2006, 04:58 AM
the best thing you can do for a 1022, is dont get one. but if you must , make sure the bbl, is tightened in good with the v block under it. get a good trigger job, usually about 45 or so dollars, try at least 1 zillion diff brands and types and points of ammo , to see which it likes best. Next, get a diff extractor, this will make a huge difference in everyting, and also you can effect accuracy by how tight you make the take down screw. i went herehttp://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
went on to the Cristies site to get an aftermarket parts set, with the stainless steel take down screw and tork wrench, and the new extractor. It has turned out yummy so far.

270Win
August 20, 2006, 06:12 AM
My stock 10/22 was as other have said 2" or a little worse at 50.

Modified and scoped, it's 1" or less. The ammo is likes best is the Remington/Eley stuff. Best 5-shot was .5"

Haven't experimented with the really nice stuff yet, but I keep hearing such nice things about the Wolf Match ...

dfaugh
August 20, 2006, 08:02 AM
what color is the sky in your world? Stock 10/22s are accurate in my book. Maybe you've just had a bad experience with one?

Blue just like yours. I just don't consider 1 1/2" to 2" groups, at 50 yards, as being remotely accurate. I probably should have specified "unmodified" as I know you can make them tack drivers is you wanns spend enough money. But why would I invest $5-600 in a 10/22 just to get it to shoot as good as my Marlin 60 does, right out of the box?

cottontoptexan
August 20, 2006, 10:09 AM
My stock 1022 was purchased in 1992. The accuracy of it is pretty well much of what is posted here. I have found some ammo to be better than others and i have to opt for the CCI minimags or the CCi Standard velocity which both will group around 1" to 1 1/4 at 50 yards with a 4x weaver K4. I know many people go through some intense modifications with these guns. I kinda wondered if a Clark factory contour barrel would change things for the better. They are fun guns and mine functions flawlessly so i have been reluctant to change anything. It definitely will not hold up to the TC Classic in the accuracy department but then it was never intended to. Thanks guys for all the nice forums on the Factory 1022. Always good to hear what other people have found out about their rifles.

greyeyezz
August 20, 2006, 02:34 PM
Stock 10-22, probably about 40K rounds. 1" @ 50 yrds all day using Mini-mags and Stingers with a 3x9 bushnell.

stdlrf11
August 20, 2006, 02:52 PM
What are you guys trying to shoot at where 1-1 1/2" @ 50yds with a .22lr is horribly innacurate?

Tin cans are about what, 2"? Hell, squirrels are bigger than that.

Ya'll must be shootin' at one of them fancy, hi-tootin' inside-the-house ranges. :D

I've shot my 10/22 for about 7 years. I have gone through one barrel and am working the 2nd pretty thin, and I've consistently shot 1-2" groups at 100 yards with the iron sights or a small scope. I don't waste my time shooting paper unless I'm sighting it in, but I can usually shoot the cap off of a coke bottle at 100 yards in 3-5 tries with the iron sights.

That's accurate enough for me. :)

stdlrf11

rangerruck
August 20, 2006, 03:21 PM
BIG EXCEPTION, not the rule. From the guy above:

I've shot my 10/22 for about 7 years. I have gone through one barrel and am working the 2nd pretty thin, and I've consistently shot 1-2" groups at 100 yards with the iron sights or a small scope. I don't waste my time shooting paper unless I'm sighting it in, but I can usually shoot the cap off of a coke bottle at 100 yards in 3-5 tries with the iron sights.

KINGMAX
August 20, 2006, 03:24 PM
Ruger 10/22 one of the best little guns made.:)

Bottom Gun
August 20, 2006, 04:31 PM
The 10/22 rifles are notoriously inaccurate. I had two of them and never could get them to shoot properly.
My advice is to sell it and buy a different brand. Any Remington, Marlin, etc will outshoot a 10/22.

If you enjoyed reading about "my 10/22's accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!