Maybe I didn't need to but I did anyway.

PDA

flip180
March 8, 2006, 09:11 PM
I developed a crack in the stock of my 700 VLS last weekend originating from where the bolt handel is going to the otherside of the safety. I doubt it will effect shootability but, it stilll bothers me non-the-less. After pondering either getting it fixed, trying to replace the stock under warranty (I doubt it since it has been bedded and floated), or just get a new after market stock. I opted to go the aftermarket route. I ended up placing an order for an H-S precision varmint stock with the "sand finish". It will take about eight weeks for the stock to be made since they are behind but, I hope it will be worth the wait. I ended up getting it for 275.00+S&H from www.snipercountrypx.com. I also plan on replacing the stock trigger group with a Timney unit. It's amazing how heavy a trigger feels when everything is just right with sight picture and breathing and I'm waiting for the trigger go off. I hope these imrovements will be worth it.

Flip.

If you enjoyed reading about "Maybe I didn't need to but I did anyway." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gewehr98
March 8, 2006, 09:15 PM
Have you tried adjusting the factory Remington trigger first? If it still didn't clean up the way you wanted it to, shoot me a PM. I have a new-in-the-box Shilen trigger for the Remington 700 family that I'll never use.

flip180
March 8, 2006, 09:20 PM
I had a trigger job done in the past with the trigger set at 3.5 pounds which is the lightest that the gun smith will allow to leave the store for liability reasons. I have a EAA Biathlon Basic .22 that will shoot if a fly farts on the trigger. Now, that's the trigger I want on my VLS. How else do I adjust it for weight?

Flip.

Gewehr98
March 8, 2006, 11:07 PM
Maybe a nice 1.5 - 2.0 pounds, but that's about the lower limit. The Shilens I've been using have dialed down to 1.0 - 1.5 pounds, which is about as low as I'd want to go for a hunting rifle.

flip180
March 9, 2006, 12:15 AM
I can't get back with you because, your PM box is full.

Flip

Gewehr98
March 9, 2006, 12:16 AM
Cleaning it out. Sorry! :o

flip180
March 9, 2006, 12:18 AM
Flip.:)

Gewehr98
March 9, 2006, 12:21 AM
Hate it when that happens!

MTMilitiaman
March 9, 2006, 02:18 AM
My BDL came with a horrendous ~8 pound trigger. Remington certainly screwed the pooch on it. I hate the lawyerizing these @$$#0!3$ are doing these days. Anyways, my gunsmith was able to take it down to 40 oz and it is quite nice right now. I wouldn't want it any less for a hunting rifle. Gloves and cold fingers could make that a disaster pretty easy. For a varmint or target rifle, I might consider the aftermarket unit.

Good luck with the HS. My dad just put a McMillan on a custom .338 RUM and the percievable difference in quality over the factory stock is amazing. I am sure the HS will do you proud!

If you enjoyed reading about "Maybe I didn't need to but I did anyway." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!