nebraska... get ccw?

PDA

dakotasin
March 9, 2006, 09:38 AM
fellas... i just scored an interview w/ a company down in nebraska for a job i think could really like. however, due to nebraska's weird stance of not allowing ccw, my wife (especially) and i are a little hesitant to move there. i did see that nebraska is trying to get ccw passed. is there any update here?

i recently turned a job down that was in the lincoln area because of the ccw status, but that was before the new ccw stuff was happening.

what about other laws...eg, castle laws and the like? these are as big as ccw, especially if nebraska likes the european stance of 'thou shalt not defend thy life, nor the lives of thine children'...

if i can land this job, it will be huge for my family - but i am loathe to move someplace that disarms its citizens, that being the primary reason i left california. my wife really is concerned... something about that heavy 686 that comforts her, i guess...

If you enjoyed reading about "nebraska... get ccw?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JoeHatley
March 9, 2006, 10:40 AM
Appears to have a better than 50/50 chance of passing this year. The bill finally got out of committe. If not this year, almost for sure next year. Senator Chambers, the main opponent, won't be back next year, due to term limits.

Joe

Mikee Loxxer
March 9, 2006, 11:28 AM
The legislature did pass a measure which would alot monies to fund the CCW program, which is a step in the right direction. Unless Speaker of the State Legislature Kermit Brashear brings up CCW this session we will have to wait until the next one. My feeling is that in another year CCW will be a reality in Nebraska.

I am not sure about the castle law issue which is sad because I live here. My impression is that you are not obliged to flee but can defend yourself if you can prove to a judge that you feared for your life and had to use deadly force.

That being said crime in Nebraska is fairly low.

SIOP
March 9, 2006, 11:43 AM
Nebraska's CCW law passed first round debate. It is on the Legislature's agenda today for second round debate, although there are a couple of bills ahead of it so it might not get to the floor for a day or so. If it does make it to the floor, it stands a very good chance of passing as there are most likely enough votes to invoke cloture on Senator Chambers' filibuster, as happened during first round debate.

Husker1911
March 9, 2006, 12:32 PM
I just spoke with the office of the bill's sponsor, Senator Jeanne Combs, to learn the status of LB 454. If it doesn't come to the floor today (Thursday), it will most likely then surface on Monday, the 13th. They feel pretty good about the bill's chances. The big fly in the ointment is that it's quite possible local ordinances will override the state bill. The senator has introduced amendment 2090 to LB 454 to try to solve this. They're not sure if they can get 454 passed if they insist on adopting 2090, that is, they'll lose votes. The office worker urged me to accept the fact that they may have to accept a flawed bill in order to get it passed. Then solutions could be attempted next year.

Nebraskans, please call your state representatives, urge them to support LB 454, and also to support amendment 2090, which would make 454 a statewide ordnance.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 9, 2006, 12:39 PM
Can't wait for term limits to kick in---the unicam is such BS----5 years and nothing has changed on this issue.

SIOP
March 9, 2006, 01:20 PM
Can't wait for term limits to kick in---the unicam is such BS----5 years and nothing has changed on this issue.

Term limits will change nothing. If a voting block elected a liberal retard to office, then when he is term-limited out of office they will elect a liberal retard to replace him. And we will lose senators who have worked diligently to promote conservative agendas.

This is the fallacy of term limits - that everything will change for the better once the current officeholders are gone. Just for argument's sake, suppose that an entire legislative body was fervently pro-gun and conservative. They were busy everyday repealing anti-gun legislation and cutting taxes and spending. How would you feel about term limits removing them?

Mikee Loxxer
March 9, 2006, 01:49 PM
SIOP,

I too am not a big fan of term limits. But then again we have already term limited the executive branch. In my opinion if it we to be fair either both executive and legislative branches would be subject to them or there would be no term limits.

But to keep the thread on topic I think that it is important that we contact all of our State Senators and urge them to vote in favor of LB454. We also need to urge them to support measures overriding the hoplophobic restrictions that places like Omaha and Lincoln will place on our right to defend ourselves.

Moondoggie
March 9, 2006, 04:06 PM
Huge fan of term limits here.

After a few terms in office, almost all of our elected representatives take on the mantle of rulers. Ernie is a perfect example. He's developed his parlimentarian tactics over the decades to the point where he weilds extraordinary power and influence..far beyond what any one senator is supposed to have. In Ernie's case, this is NOT a good thing!

I want my first term representative to have equal influence with every other representative in the legislative body...not have to kowtow to whoever has managed to get re-elected a bunch of times.

To stay on topic, I've contacted my senator and asked him to support LB454 several times, and have gotten a few of my friends to do the same. He did vote both for the bill and cloture.

A. Patriot
March 9, 2006, 04:54 PM
Anyone thinking of moving to Nebraska should first read:

The Franklin Cover-up: Child Abuse, Satanism, and Murder in Nebraska by former Nebraska State Senator John DeCamp.

If his story is true, I wouldn't set foot in that place.

Any Nebraskans out there with an opinion on this book/story?

dakotasin
March 9, 2006, 06:01 PM
thanks for the input fellas. i just don't understand why a relatively conservative state like nebraska is so afraid of ccw... the gun laws are certainly much more friendly here (s.d.), and it will be a bit of a culture shock, i'm sure, to go down there and adjust to the changes... but, you fellers seem awfully confident of getting ccw down there, so maybe nebraska is more of an option than i had given it previously...

a patriot- i would appreciate a brief synopsis of the book... are you insinuating it is an on-going, current affair, or is this something buried deep in the past?

thanks again, fells... this is a huge decision to make. i like my guns, i like the freedom in s.d. and they are a huge part of our daily lives, so the gun issue is a much bigger consideration for us than it is most folks...

Mikee Loxxer
March 9, 2006, 06:03 PM
A Patriot,

I have never read the book but know people who have (this person is also apt to believe just about any conspiracy theory out there). That being said the Franklink Credit Union Scandal and a lot of bad things associated with it were real but probably not all in DeCamp's book. I need to look into it a little more in order to develop a more educated opinion.

I have lived here all of my life and have never heard of any Satanic cults, child prostitution rings or anything like that outside of the Franklin Credit Union Scandal. It sounds like the mafia were involved in some very evil business and people died when the whistle was blown. At the time it seemed like an Omaha thing to those of us in "outstate Nebraska."

As far as safety goes I would be much more afraid of setting foot in places where you have larger populations and the higher crime rates that accompany them.

Mikee Loxxer
March 9, 2006, 06:05 PM
dakotasin,

The activities noted in the book occured in the late 1980's. As far as I know they are a thing of the past.

A. Patriot
March 9, 2006, 07:37 PM
I don't know if things like that are still going on, but the story is so incredible and disturbing if true, it makes me wonder why people in NE were never brought to justice (as far as I know).

Do a Google search on the book's title or "John DeCamp"

Or go here and read the reviews on Anazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0963215809/qid=1141950608/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-2944603-9742422?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

There are some excerps from the book out there, but they relate things that are so disgusting and vile, I will let you find them on your own.

dakotasin
March 10, 2006, 01:15 AM
thank you. i'll look-see.

anybody else have anything more re: castle laws?

Moondoggie
March 10, 2006, 11:53 AM
Great News!

LB454 (CCW) just passed the Select File with 33 out of 49 possible votes. This also involved a second cloture of a filibuster by the primary anti wacko.

We're almost there! Just a little more wrangling and a Final Reading/Vote to go.

Our Governer has said that he will sign it.

It's not a perfect law...there's no provision for reciprocity (as I understand it), and it doesn't address preimenence, but it's a start. As it stands, Omaha and Lincoln's anti CCW statutes will still be in force, but it's light years ahead of what we had before. The preimenence thing puzzles me since I read either in a statute or the constitution that state law trumps laws enacted by political subdivisions...but I guess that's why I'm not a lawyer.

Hypnogator
March 10, 2006, 12:12 PM
The preimenence thing puzzles me since I read either in a statute or the constitution that state law trumps laws enacted by political subdivisions...but I guess that's why I'm not a lawyer.
Well there you go again, Moondoggie, expecting a law to mean what it says in plain English! Why, that's just as bad as expecting the 2nd Amendment to apply to the people, because it says "the people," when the cognosenti know that it really only applies to the National Guard. :rolleyes:

The laws that Omaha and Lincoln will undoubtedly pass should be invalid, if what you read is true, but it'll take some poor ba*d being prosecuted for CCW to (hopefully) successfully get them overturned.

In any event, good on 'ya, Nebraska! It looks like you're on the way, and will beat out Wisconsin. Any bets on who the last holdout will be? My money's on Illinois.

armedandsafe
March 10, 2006, 12:16 PM
It's not a perfect law...

As my track coach used to say, "Three steps, THEN take the hurdle." :D

Pops

Husker1911
March 10, 2006, 12:26 PM
We still need it scheduled for Final Reading, with an up or down vote. Nebraskans, contact your Representative NOW! Please let them know your support for LB454, and that you also favor the pre-emption that would make this a statewide law, without local exemptions.

If you enjoyed reading about "nebraska... get ccw?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!