A gun for skeet

PDA

Oldnamvet
March 9, 2006, 05:22 PM
I'm planning on buying a new Remington autoloader (105CTi) for use mainly in skeet shooting. It comes in two barrel lengths, 26 and 28. Which is best?:confused: Or does it not really make any difference and is just a personal thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "A gun for skeet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
March 9, 2006, 05:44 PM
Do you really want an autoloader for skeet?

The extra length of an autoloader or pump is a benefit when you want a low-budget trap gun, but don't you want something short and quick for skeet?

EDIT--

Never mind. Looks like Beretta is selling longer and heavier skeet guns for a lot of $$$ now; there must be a benefit or people wouldn't pay. The autoloader should give you great performance for less money.

Personal, but with some physical basis. How fast do you want it to naturally swing? How long are your arms, and how heavy is your upper body?

Bummer about a brand-new gun model like that is that you won't find a bunch of them at the range to try for yourself. Looks nice, though.

Oldnamvet
March 9, 2006, 06:25 PM
I never thought of physical aspects. I'm 5'10" and weigh around 195. Just your overall 'average'.

As I get older, joint problems make the recoil of my double, O/U, and pump guns somewhat troublesome after a couple rounds. I'll reserve those for hunting where I normally don't shoot quite so much. So a light autoloader with much less recoil looks great. Besides, how much reason does one need to get another gun.:D

kudu
March 9, 2006, 06:27 PM
I would prefer the longer barrel. I shoot a 30" 11-87 and it feels just about right for the skeet field. The more weight out front the less chance of stopping your swing on a target. I see lots of 32" barrels in skeet now and very few people shoot any gun with less than a 28" barrel for skeet. My Beretta O/U is 30" and I wish it were a 32" for shooting skeet.

Dave McCracken
March 9, 2006, 10:17 PM
Skeet used to be a hunter's game and the guns tended to be hunting guns. Now, they're all heavier, longer and getting more so every year.

I'd be interested in how the 105 CTI does, Meanwhile I suggest getting the 28" barrel,unless they come out with a 30".

Hypnogator
March 10, 2006, 12:42 AM
Errr.... We are talking about SKEET, right? Short ranges, fast cross shots?

Back in my day, anyway, skeet guns tended to be 26" skeet or imp cyl choked. Trap was generally shot with 28" - 32" bbls choked full.

Of course, that was some 35 year ago. ;)

stiletto raggio
March 10, 2006, 11:34 PM
If you can afford it, try to get in on a used Beretta or Browning over/under. They are more expensive, but having two barrels is a must for sporting clays, a sport you will invariably want to try. Interchangeable chokes are even more important.

As for barrel length, I shoot a Silver Pigeon III with 32" tubes for skeet and sporting clays. It also works fine as a trap gun, although my 30" AL391 Parallet Target gets the nod for trap shooting. Then again, I am 6'3" and 250 lbs, so I can swing those long barrels plenty fast at close-in skeet targets.

As a rule of thumb, shorte barrels are better for snap shooting and quick direction changes while longer barrels swing more smoothly and give, I think, superior rib alignment.

BozemanMT
March 11, 2006, 10:28 AM
Exactly what Kudu said. the longer barrel allows you to keep swinging and not stop your shot. As someone said earlier, the gun for skeet used to be short, but now they have gone long (all the clays guns have gone long) so you keep swinging.
My wife is 5'4" and her clays gun (skeet, trap, sporting clays) has 32" barrels.
It looks a little funny, but she beats me pretty consistently.:scrutiny:

Scoupe
March 11, 2006, 11:11 AM
I do shoot a lot of skeet, and yes, the trend is to longer annd longer barrels. 32" barrels on an O/U is not unusual these days. I'm still back at 28" on my O/U and doing fine however.

My K80 with 28" barrels is the same overall length as my 20ga. Remington 1100 Skeet B with 26" bbl., so going out to 28" bbl. on the autoloader wouldn't too long at all IMO.

Report back on that new Remington, BTW. I'd like to hear more about them.

Oldnamvet
March 11, 2006, 03:17 PM
I now have one on order, with the longest barrel (28"). I'll report back once I have it and have shot a few rounds.

If you enjoyed reading about "A gun for skeet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!