First time shooting Sporting Clays and I'm.....

PDA

Jim_M
March 9, 2006, 07:43 PM
....hooked. Picked off 26 out of 50. Not entirely bad considering this was my first experience shooting shotguns and clay targets. I've spent the last 27 years on and off shooting practical pistol. Didn't now what I was missing.
It seemed like I needed to twist or cant the angle of the gun (a rented Benelli semi-auto) to align my eye with the bore. I'm sure my mount, grip and stance are beyond poor. Guess I need to learn how to shoot a shotgun now.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "First time shooting Sporting Clays and I'm....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Larry Ashcraft
March 9, 2006, 08:58 PM
26/50 is Excellent! Especially for the first time out.

Now, get some instruction! There should be someone at the club (the manager maybe?) who will go through the course with you and instruct you for a fee, plus targets.

Better to do that early, instead of like me, trying to un-do all the bad habits I learned over the years.

kudu
March 9, 2006, 09:12 PM
Do what Larry says, 50% on a sporting course for the first time is excellent. Many places have instructors that would help you and correct your style and stance to make you a better shotgunner.

HSMITH
March 9, 2006, 09:39 PM
Sporting is the crack cocaine of shotgun sports, beyond addicting.

You did pretty well too. If you don't get some instruction buy a video or two. Check around your local newstands and find a copy of 'Shotgun Sports' magazine, videos are in the back with great pictures and articles on the way to the back section.

Welcome to the fold, hope you can feed the monster you created enough to keep him somewhat civil LOL.

MSGT9410
March 9, 2006, 10:14 PM
I've only done it once, and I'm itching to get back at it. I scored 56/70 on my first (and only) go. It was a tournament between the members of the power facility that my father manages. I placed second, missing first by one point. My head was the size of Texas for a while :evil:

Brian Dale
March 10, 2006, 11:31 AM
Guess I need to learn how to shoot a shotgun now.Welcome! :D

BozemanMT
March 10, 2006, 11:51 AM
Darn addictive isn't it?
Reactive changing moving taragets
doesn't get much better than that.:D
It does do horrible things to your pocketbook though. :rolleyes:

redneck2
March 11, 2006, 02:17 PM
One real easy thing to do is shoot with a group that has lots of experience. If you miss several and ask them real nice, they'll tell you whether you're shooting under, behind, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "First time shooting Sporting Clays and I'm....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!