Winchester Model 90

PDA

.38special
March 9, 2006, 09:38 PM
Any other galley gun owners around here? I have a Winchester Model 90 that was made sometime around 1912 that I absolutly love. It was given to me through a few generations. Sadly before I recieved it, it was kept in the attic a little to long, where it became rusted and such. Since at that time it could not even be opened, I had it reblued and restored.

It is now a VERY accurate gun. And seeing as it shoots .22 shorts, very cheap and quiet at the range.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Model 90" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
win71
March 10, 2006, 09:40 PM
I had a Win. model 90 for years. It too was passed down to me. It was chambered in the old Win. 22 WRF. I did find ammo from a special run in the mid 80's but it was very expensive. I gave it to my son and shortly after that CCI started manufacturing ammo and priced about the same as 22 win magnum. The rifle was very smooth operating. I kept a model 62A and still shoot it often. It's 22 short, long and long rifle.

Gordon
March 10, 2006, 11:26 PM
I love my .22 WRF Win Mod 90! I shoot it with a Colt Police Positive Target in the same caliber. It is accurate and has a little more smack than a .22lr. I was paranoid the Wichester batch of the late 80s was the last so socked in thousands. Now CCi regularly carries it! Only the Winchester loads are rated for pistol use though- very strange but I talked to CCI about it and they said there had been a few cases of the WRF rounds shedding their jackets in pistol bores-How odd!!!!:uhoh:

rangerruck
March 11, 2006, 02:56 AM
you may wanna be very careful witht that thing, jsut read the last issue of rimfires, those things are worth thousands of dollars.

dfaugh
March 12, 2006, 09:54 AM
A friend of mine just brought me one, along with a couple other "old guns" (including 1 of 739 L.C. Smith model A-1 shotguns!), that belonged to her grandfather (her father just passed).

This one hadn't been stored well (actually none of the guns had), so I'm just cleaning it up for her, and making it look good (although the insides have faired well compared to the others.), as she has no intention of using it, just wants to keep it as an heirloom. It appears to be functional, will try it out when I get it back together. Unfortunately, to really restore it would probably cost more than its worth (plus it appears to have been made from 2 different guns, as it has 2 different serial numbers!)

My best shootin buddy is a Winchester fanatic (although he collects mostly lever guns) and has a book on Winchester slide action guns. So we did some research on this one. The amazing thing is that there were many many "optional" features, so almost no 2 guns are the same. This one has a "pistol grip" style stock, as well as the triangular magazine port (for rapid loading from a tube in a shooting gallery, so this probably was truly a "gallery gun, at least the front half!)

Any way these are neat guns, and glad you have a nice family heirloom. You might try to find the book I mention, which will tell alot more about these guns.

.38special
March 12, 2006, 01:05 PM
Yeah they are awesome guns, yesterday my father and I bought a 10/22, so we would have to shot the 90 any more.

He are some pics of it
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/NoSboy3702/Picture004.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/NoSboy3702/Picture002.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Model 90" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!