Red dot scope for Browning BL22

PDA

Furncliff
March 9, 2006, 10:57 PM
I bought this little gem for my wife as a Valentine gift. She loves it. Her eyes are a problem sometimes so I've thought of adding a red dot but I know nothing about them. I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Tom

If you enjoyed reading about "Red dot scope for Browning BL22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gbran
March 9, 2006, 11:10 PM
Just google "red dot sights" and you'll see most everything out there.

Furncliff
March 9, 2006, 11:40 PM
Google's great, but I'm looking for feedback from those who have them.

Thanks

Tom

Furncliff
March 9, 2006, 11:52 PM
Has anyone had experience w/ these...

.................http://www.action-direct.com/pr-q238.jpg

gbran
March 10, 2006, 12:12 AM
I have several red dots of various types on both rifles and handguns. When looking thru a red dot it gives you the impression that the dot is about 50 yds in front of you. Unlike iron sights where you have 3 different things to concentrate on (front post, target & rear sight), all you do with a red dot is look at the target and bring the gun and sight up to intersect you view. You can shoot with both eyes open. With a magnified scope you have to find the target thru the scope. The only real downside to most red dots is that they don't magnify, but they beat iron sights hands down for those of us with poor eyesight.

Things to consider; dot size, smaller moa dots are better for rifles or for target work. Larger dots offer quicker aquisition, but cover more of a target. A 3 moa dot will cover 3 inches at 100 yds. A 6 moa dot will cover 6 inches.

For a rifle, I'd look at a good tube type, Millett, etc. for around $100. Many can be had cheaper. I use more expensive heads-up display type red dots on handguns.

Jayb
March 10, 2006, 09:07 AM
I have an EO Tech (HUD type) on my AR for tactical shooting, and an UltraDot (30mm tube) on my Buck Mark for target shooting. I've tried others, but some of the multi-reticle types shifted POI when I changes reticles, and some had noticible parallax at longer distances. I've found that spending more money once beats spending less money several times. Just my opinion, and no, I haven't tried all of the red dots out there. :)

Thirties
March 10, 2006, 10:39 AM
Best red dot for a BL-22 is a drop of bright red or orange paint on the front sight bead.

Very handy and accurate iron sights on this firfle.

Furncliff
March 10, 2006, 11:31 PM
I found the iron sights on this rifle particularly good too, and I have applied a red dot that my wife finds handy. The first time we went up to the home range she put me to shame, it's a real good fit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Red dot scope for Browning BL22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!