What flavor is your gun?

PDA

torpid
March 9, 2006, 10:14 PM
That's right... what flavor is your gun?

Does your Glock taste like licorice?
...your Dad's old levergun like hickory-smoked venison?
...your Les Baer like a smooth 42 year-old malt?
...your Hi-Point like a Big Mac?

I guess what I'm asking is: What flavor is your gun?!!!

(...no Hoppe's allowed!) :D

If you enjoyed reading about "What flavor is your gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nashmack
March 9, 2006, 10:19 PM
...i've never tasted my firearms:uhoh: :confused:

gulogulo1970
March 9, 2006, 10:22 PM
Don't know about taste.:scrutiny:

But, mine smell like...victory.

Nashmack
March 9, 2006, 10:24 PM
Mine smell like burnt powder and CLP...

KriegHund
March 9, 2006, 10:25 PM
If my mauser had a taste, it would be like a dry pork chop.

If my .22 pump had a taste, it would be mashed potatoes and brown gravy. Lots of tasty gravy.

And my mini-14 would be like a juicy hamburger. With cheese, but nothing else.

:evil:

MSGT9410
March 9, 2006, 10:25 PM
smell like...victory.

BAH!
You beat me to it! :p :p :(

My mauser would probably taste like cosmoline :P

torpid
March 9, 2006, 10:27 PM
Everybody, follow KriegHund's lead- he is getting it!

:D

Manedwolf
March 9, 2006, 10:29 PM
Generally, if someone spots you putting a gun in your mouth, you get taken away by the men in white coats and get to wear the huggy jacket in a padded room. :D

Lupinus
March 9, 2006, 10:29 PM
this bings to mind some sick weirdo at the gun range in the next lane licking his gun and you deciding its time to move a few lanes over

Nashmack
March 9, 2006, 10:30 PM
My FM would most likely taste like Belgian truffles, grown in Argentina.

My Rossi like cayenne pepper.

and my Zastava would most likely taste like cold, hard steel.

torpid
March 9, 2006, 10:32 PM
Hmm, this may be a bit too abstract of an excercise for many folks here...

Yes, it is damned silly, but actually requires some thought to "do it justice" (whatever that may entail).

;)

ArmedBear
March 9, 2006, 10:33 PM
42-year-old malt?

Never had better than 21. 42 must be some good Shi'ite.

torpid
March 9, 2006, 10:34 PM
Kudos to Nashmack- that's the stuff!

Sgt.Slappy
March 9, 2006, 10:34 PM
this brings to mind some sick weirdo at the gun range in the next lane licking his gun and you deciding its time to move a few lanes over

Any weirdo can lick his rifle, but only a truly talented man can lick his gun. :eek:

Nashmack
March 9, 2006, 10:35 PM
*bows*

torpid
March 9, 2006, 10:35 PM
42-year-old malt?

My nod to the excellent film Local Hero (1983).

Nashmack
March 9, 2006, 10:39 PM
And just what is wront with 21 year olds?

FWIW I drink Jack. The cheaper black label stuff. From the bottle. Just NOT while handling my RKBA preservation tools.

joab
March 9, 2006, 10:44 PM
Like Andy said
"Gomer, take that gun outta your mouth"

Hardtarget
March 9, 2006, 10:46 PM
Taste?...probably like the foil wrapper of a Hershey kisses. You know, aluminum frame with stainless slide.
Mark.

Hypnogator
March 9, 2006, 10:53 PM
Traditionally, those who eat their guns don't generally report the taste! :what: :eek: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Twycross
March 9, 2006, 10:59 PM
I haven't actually tasted mine, but I hypothesize that they would taste like Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil, and either plasticy or woody, depending on the stock.

In all honesty, I've never considered this before.

Maxwell
March 9, 2006, 11:01 PM
My CZ tastes like... BURNING!

torpid
March 9, 2006, 11:04 PM
In all honesty, I've never considered this before.

Good. You're almost there...

Now that you've begun your journey into the esoteric, step out farther past the literal and contemplate the flavors of your guns (I'll even forgive the forbidden Hoppe's comment).
:)

gp911
March 9, 2006, 11:07 PM
Not bad, tastes like chicken!

:rolleyes:

gp911

Taurus 66
March 9, 2006, 11:22 PM
I have one that tastes like rib eye, another tastes somewhat like chicken soup with rice, carrots, celery, onions. I drink my pistol, no eating there, and it resembles Nestle Quick. the Mossberg, well its so old, I smell it, the smells turn to a flavor, the flavor is ingested in minute doses, then excreted, and the excretions emit odors of ... well do you remember Hubba Bubba? That's what it's like.

Now that I've eaten, drank, or chewed all my guns, I'm defenseless. :( :D

Mooseman
March 9, 2006, 11:29 PM
My old S&W D.A. 45 tastes like dark chocolate. My Tokarev tastes like cold pizza after a night out. My Hi-Point .45 tastes like one of those hard yellow brach's butterscotch candies. The others don't have flavors (yet)

torpid
March 9, 2006, 11:32 PM
Nicely done sir.

:cool:

'Card
March 9, 2006, 11:32 PM
My Remington Model 81 Woodsmaster (a .300 Savage) is a gun my Grandpa left me, and it tastes like coffee.

Not just any coffee, mind you. My Grandma's coffee. And not just Grandma's regular coffee, but the coffee she'd make to get us all up and moving at 4AM on the first day of deer season. Coffee you could stand a spoon up in. Coffee you couldn't just drink, but had to bite pieces off and chew them a little bit first. The coffee I drank while I ate the huge bowl of hot oatmeal Grandma pushed in front of me, saying it would "stick to my ribs". The coffee I drank while Grandma stood at her old gas stove in her patched housecoat and fried sausage and eggs to make sandwiches for all of us boys. The coffee that she'd put in a thermos that I always seemed to forget in the hustle and bustle of loading gear and putting on coats, causing her to dash outside and bring it to me just as we were leaving.

A bare bulb porch light, slippers in the snow, a quick peck on the cheek as she pushed the thermos into my hands and she'd always whisper "You look after your Grandpa." Then she'd stand there and watch with a 'boys will be boys' grin as we all piled into the truck, and she'd laugh and say "Try not to kill 'em all!" as we drove off.

My Grandpa carried that old Remington then. I carry it now, and it tastes like Grandma's coffee.

torpid
March 9, 2006, 11:34 PM
Wow, 'Card just took this thread into the realm of the poetic...

Beautiful!

Zen21Tao
March 9, 2006, 11:40 PM
All my guns taste like the sweet unfathonable sorrow of liberal tear drops. :evil:

Preacherman
March 9, 2006, 11:41 PM
I suppose this is a case of "Alimentary, my dear Watson"... :D

Nashmack
March 9, 2006, 11:44 PM
My old SKS was a Vietnam bringback, it tasted like blood, sweat, tears, and utter futility and frustration.

Twycross
March 9, 2006, 11:45 PM
(I'll even forgive the forbidden Hoppe's comment).
Sorry. Must have missed/forgotten that part. :(

Savage 11F: Sharp, loud, tastes like strong cinnamon
Remington 710: Half-chewed cinnamon-flavored gum
Taurus 24/7: It just feels good in the hand, so milk chocolate
Winchester 1300: have to think on that one...

Happy now?:confused: :D

ezypikns
is like a hearty sauerbraten....served with an excellent Riesling.

PlayboyPenguin
I started to write an answer of a more orphic strain to best suit this question. Something like "my firearms taste like pungent musky freedom laced with the tears of vengeful angels rising from the fetid depths of beaurocratic oppression" but I found it coming across a little too french. So instead I will just say they taste like "mac&Cheese" since every time I buy one I think to myself... "Looks like it will be Mac&Cheese for dinner this week"...and if I am lucky I can afford some hotdogs to cut up in it. Maybe even name brand ones. :D

Nashmack
March 9, 2006, 11:46 PM
My old Remington 870 was Barq's rootbeer. "Barq's has bite!"

Manedwolf
March 9, 2006, 11:55 PM
The concept certainly makes sense. We do mental associations of the sense and feel evoked by objects, and some of those sensory impressions can relate to seemingly unconnected sense memories like two of the most powerful...smell and taste. It's why the memory of a scent or a meal just kind of pops into your head sometimes. Something triggered it. The brain does funny things.

That said, my own...the Remington 870 is a bowl of beef stew. Comfortable, familiar, meat and potatoes in a savory broth where you know what to expect, but it still makes you feel satisfied with the taste.

The Taurus PT92, an older model, evokes a Malbec wine from the same region it's from. Fitting in a lot of ways. They're hearty reds, not quite as refined as some European wines, but robust and pleasing...and still a suitable dinner wine to tackle the best of steaks with.

And the little elegant Beretta Jetfire is the first sip from a slender glass of cold, icy cold vodka. :D

EddieCoyle
March 10, 2006, 12:19 AM
I read this earlier and even thought about it while I was at the range today. I lube my guns with Dextron II. Unfortunately, once you're smelling transmission fluid, it's hard to think about food.

eastwood44mag
March 10, 2006, 12:23 AM
Rotten eggs and bore butter.

Yay Pyrodex!

MSgt B
March 10, 2006, 12:47 AM
Crap, my wife just caught me licking my AK-47 in the closet at quarter til one in the morning.:o

(It tastes like Bedouin tea)

arthurcw
March 10, 2006, 12:49 AM
Been reading this site for a while, but HAD to register to answer this.

Winchester .30-.30 Easy one. Chili! Reheated for lunch on the second day with extra Black pepper, ground habanero, and chipotle. It's a lever action... It's got to be Chili.

Remington 870. Whisky. Nothin' aged and fancy. Just, "Honey take my keys and make sure I pass out face down" whiskey

My Kahr MK9. That one is a bit more tricksie. It's a bit snooty but it is there when you need it, never misses a beat, and always finishes smooth. Only one thing comes to mind after pondering... Pint of Guinness.

JJ Hiryuu
March 10, 2006, 12:50 AM
I've got to get in on this too.

'Government' Rock Island Armory 1911. I'd say it tastes like Army rations. The good hot ones like A or B. Comforting and pretty good, but you still realize it's rations and you are possibly in a not so good place.

Glock 17. Meatloaf. Yeah it's meat, yeah it's good and filling, and I really like it....but it isn't steak.

And for an odd one, Steyr Hahn M1912. Have you ever bought odd imported candy on a whim, found them to be really really good, and then be unable to find hardly any more? Specifically chocolate, almost always filled with a mystery goo you could never hope to pronounce, but tastes fantastic.

one45auto
March 10, 2006, 02:20 AM
I wouldn't know, as I have never put one of my firearms in my mouth. :scrutiny:

UWstudent
March 10, 2006, 02:46 AM
well, since i got 3 glocks and a sig, i would think they would all taste like MRE's haha..

my kimber is stainless, so white chocolate!!! :)

torpid
March 10, 2006, 02:48 AM
You can tell which people actually bother to read other folks' posts in the thread by their replies. :rolleyes:

(yes, please keep your guns out of the mouth area altogether!)

:uhoh:

torpid
March 10, 2006, 02:50 AM
my kimber is stainless, so white chocolate!!!

Unusual and interesting!

Nematocyst
March 10, 2006, 03:25 AM
First, I gotta say 'welcome to THR' to arthurcw.

New members buy rnds for all of us. I'll take a pint of Blue Moon wheat ale, please, and a box of 12 ga. 00 reduced recoil. ;)

Second, even though I'm not quite ready to commit yet - still thinking about this flavor thing when it comes to my guns {see sig line} - I think this thread represents some of the best of THR.

Different to be sure, but different in a good way.

More to come ...

Nem

torpid
March 10, 2006, 03:47 AM
Oh, and a belated hi to arthurcw and JJ Hiryuu.
Both are outstanding posts that absolutely nailed the concept!

LAK
March 10, 2006, 03:57 AM
I didn't try eating them; but I kinda liked the scent of the spent paper hulls my various shotguns had digested during my youth.
-------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Monkeybear
March 10, 2006, 04:19 AM
My CZ 75 BD taste like Chocolate-Pumpkin-Cheesecake and my Beretta Neos taste like Apple Juice.

Pappy John
March 10, 2006, 06:13 AM
Everything tastes like chicken.:neener:

Working Man
March 10, 2006, 06:42 AM
I wanted to say the metallic taste of a stroke but I'll play nice. :evil:

My Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum tastes like Glenfiddich 12 year old. Nothing
special about it but one of my favorites.

My Ruger P95 tastes like MGD, not the prettiest but gets the job done. It
was the first gun I bought and the first beer I had.

BFR .45-70.... Meat-n-taters with some cayenne pepper.

Sadly I wanna say my Beretta CX4 Storm looks like it might taste a bit like
a Zima... never had one but it looks like it. :o

Hemicuda
March 10, 2006, 06:44 AM
only a couple of mine posess any flavor...

my High Standard Double-Nine .22, and my old single shot Springfield Bolt-Cocker .22 rifle both taste like chicken... not just any chicken, but the stuff from our hometown chicken joint, called Alley's Pickin' Chicken, (now outta business)... it was the best fried chicken EVER... used to take it to the range every sunday, and eat it for lunch, while shooting these guns... (boy does that bring back memories)

Savage 110E 30-06... tastes like the deer and elk venison it has faithfully provided me all these years...

Ruger MK1 .22, my first handgun - tastes like aged cheddar cheese... dunno why, just does...

that is about it... the rest are pretty bland, and I suspect taste like the verboten Hoppes...

Stiletto Null
March 10, 2006, 07:11 AM
Cosmoline. Both of my rifles (an M48 and an M48A) still have cosmo in the works (just the wood, the metal parts are cleaned and stuff). :rolleyes:

Jubei
March 10, 2006, 07:39 AM
"Captain, I find this excercise highly illogical. Why would a firearm have a...'flavor'?"

"Shut up Spock and lick your Phaser."

Jubei

I just had breakfast, so everything tastes like bacon.

griz
March 10, 2006, 07:51 AM
10-22 Potato chips, can't shoot it just once
1100 Fresh venison tenderloin
Savage 24 O/U rifle/shotgun, Green vegetables, you HAVE to eat them
Winchester 1873 Butter Pecan ice cream, maybe with a rich butterscotch topping
Kimber 1911 Pancakes and bacon

griz
March 10, 2006, 07:54 AM
I forgot, welcome to THR Arthurcw.:) Interesting place isn't it?

jamz
March 10, 2006, 08:00 AM
My 77/22 tastes like my Dad's bacon sandwiches.

My AR tastes like a sno-cone, cold, but tasty, it's perfect in the right circumstance, but not all circumstances.

My Colt Defender tasted like a generic Power Bar, something that doesn't taste great, but it gets you through the day.

My S&W 329 tastes like a nice thick prime rib done medium rare... heavy, not something you want to taste every single day, but man is it satisfying when you do taste it.

-James

CajunBass
March 10, 2006, 08:05 AM
Ok. At first I though this was about as dumb a question as I had ever heard, but then I read a few replies and started to "get it."

I've only got one I guess. My old Sears-Roebuck/ Mossburg 12 ga pump gun that I used for deer hunting for years. It tastes like Navy Bean soup.

As someone else said "Not just any" Navy Bean soup, but "Percy's Navy Bean Soup." Percy was an old fellow in my old hunt club, who every year, on New Years day, would cook up a big pot of Beans in a black iron cauldron, over an open fire. Plenty of salt and pepper, and ham, and stirred all moring with a canoe paddle and cooked down until you could eat it with a fork. A couple of the wives would bring pan baked corn bread down about lunch time. Best meal you ever ate after the morning drive.

svtruth
March 10, 2006, 08:16 AM
AK-47 is definitely Szechuan.

Rock_Steady
March 10, 2006, 08:29 AM
My ruger M-77 has a bitterseet taste, for two reasons. It was given to my on the occaision of my wife's grandfather's death - not the way I like to obtain a fine firearm. And the other reason for the taste is the sense of conservation - not pulling the trigger on that doe with two fawns, cause you know if she's gone, so are they - and that might make for harder hunting next year. Only one I saw that year with busy schedules and all.

Now, my Kimber 1911 tastes like a baloney sandwich lately - onle wolfed down between drills at the range - trying to get taught osme IDPA skills.;)

I'm not sure about the others - this will have to be studied on.

beaucoup ammo
March 10, 2006, 08:51 AM
No thought required..very obvious: S&W .357 Model 65-3= shot of Wild Turkey (double!)...KAHR P9=2 fingers of The Famous Grouse (a great blend of style and craftsmanship!)

Take Care

KriegHund
March 10, 2006, 08:57 AM
10-22 Potato chips, can't shoot it just once

I think this counts as the most true one :)

KadicDeshi
March 10, 2006, 08:57 AM
Heck, why not?

My 12 ga S&W pump that my father gave me tastes like the BBQ ribs he and my uncle make on July 4th. Good flavor but not something you want every day and they can get really messy, too.

My CZs taste like the lunch specials at a specific chinese restaurant in my hometown. Cheap, doesn't look like much at first, but there's food enough for two meals heaped in there and it tastes great to boot!

My 22/45 tastes like a bowl of vanilla ice cream. Who doesn't want ice cream?

My Mosins taste like pot roast. Not my favorite dish by any means but it gets the job done and done well.

My K31 tastes like my first bite of a chicken parmesan platter at a nice Italian place I took a date to. Wasn't too sure about it, but dang it, it was the only thing I could reasonably see paying their prices for. So I tried it anyway and now I can't get enough!

Barrett

thorazine
March 10, 2006, 02:59 PM
What flavor is your gun?

Six inch on wheat.
Professionally layered with freshly deli cut Boars Head oven roasted turkey.
Fresh cut tomato.
Crisp fresh lettuce.
Savory onion.
Jalapeño.
Salt and Pepper.
Oil and Vinegar.

Sweetness.

Larry Ashcraft
March 10, 2006, 03:19 PM
My Garand (1942) and my M1 Carbine (1944) taste like, what else?

Cold C Rations eaten in a foxhole somewhere in Europe.

Black Majik
March 10, 2006, 03:21 PM
[Ralph Wiggum] It tastes like burning..!! [/Ralph Wiggum] :D

Azrael256
March 10, 2006, 03:37 PM
My K31 tastes like expensive chocolate.
My 1911 tastes like a thick ribeye (medium).
My Mossy tastes like quail. A big heap of shot-that-morning quail covered in grandad's secret quail seasoning. He wrote down the recipe, and says I can have it when he dies. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be an incentive or not because I REALLY like quail.
And my trusty old .22 tastes like dirt, cedar needles, and rabbit fur. The dog always seemed to get to the rabbit before I did, and I never could bring myself to take food out of her mouth.

Herself
...I have been tempted for years to make a dark-chocolate casting of one of my Star semi-autos, and take it out at the range and take a big bite out of the ejection port, look around at everyone and mutter, "Spanish gun. Soft steel!"

But better to not do so. Might give the wrong impression.

--Herself

Rupestris
Remington 870 - Wild Turkey

Remington Nylon 66 - Believe it or not, it has a smokey, hickory flavor to it with just a hint of molasses. Remington did a much better job with immitating the flavor of a real wood stocked rifle than they did with the faux wood grain nylon. I know. Hard to believe but you've really got to try it.

DO NOT LET YOUR CHILDREN TASTE A BLUED DAN WESSON!

http://employeecomedy.typepad.com/violet.jpg

GunnySkox
March 10, 2006, 03:40 PM
My Maverick 88 Field is strongly remniscient of the Six-dollar combo at Cinco De Mayo in Christiansburg: Three burritos and a side of queso con carne. Cheap and delicious.

My Ruger Mini-14: Eggs Benedict. Delicious, but with a foul connotation on its name.

My M48: Sausage. Freakin' sausage, and lots of it. I dunno why, but it just makes sense. Suwanee Pack Mild with surplus ammo, IHOP stuff with new manufactured greek stuff.

"My" Springfield Armory 1911: Ah, the one-scoop vanilla ice cream cone. The original is always best.

~GnSx

Bravo11
March 10, 2006, 04:01 PM
My Sig Sauer, like St Pauli Girl
My Rem 1100, like fried dove breasts and Bud Lite.

IllHunter
March 10, 2006, 04:33 PM
My glock17 tastes like jerky, the kind that comes from the store not what I make, It's always the same. Not as filling as MacDonalds' but as consistent.
My Mk77 tastes like Bob's hunting soup, Campbells' beef and tomato mixed together. Only had it while hunting and with the rifle and now that Bob's gone only me and the rifle know the taste. The Wetherby MKV in .300 Wby Mag is as yet unfired and I think it tastes like Joseph Phelps Insignia 1999 but I'll have to get back to you on that. I'l ponder on the others and post later. Great Thread starter!

Leif
March 10, 2006, 04:55 PM
Ruger 10/22 International, .22 (Mannlicher-style): Jaegermeister (only vaguely European at this point, and you keep taking many small shots)

Browning BPS 12 gauge: Sapporo (beer, but Japanese and better) :evil:

Smith and Wesson 629 Mountain Gun, .44mag: Wild Turkey 101 (you Wild Turkey guys got it wrong, it's all about the power vs. volume ratio)

middy
March 10, 2006, 05:07 PM
Glock 26: Tequila
Mossberg 500A: Coors
Marlin (Glenfield 30): Venison chili
Marlin 60: Chocolate Milk

Guns I no longer own-

Taurus 66: Flat (but still cold) Coca Cola
Springfield GI: Sloppy Joe
Sig P239 9mm: Jagermeister
Bersa .380: Fried Chicken
Rossi 20ga/.22lr single-shot combo: Split pea and ham soup

This is fun!

smokemaker
March 10, 2006, 05:13 PM
My Dan Wesson 709 tastes like Maker's Mark: smooth, warm, and always satisfying.

Ithaca 37 tastes like pheasant. Jeez I miss hunting pheasant.

The Omega tastes like venison tenderloin that is cut off the deer and plunked directly on the grill. Pure ambrosia.

S&W 17: Dad's cornbread. Was his gun, is his best dish. 'nuff said.

My Sigma tastes like crap.:banghead: Don't remember why I bought it, but now I'm stuck with it.

There are others, but they haven't earned flavors yet. I hope the Knight TK-2000 tastes of wild turkey. The bird, not the drink.

Nematocyst
March 10, 2006, 05:22 PM
Why am I getting so hungry reading this thread? :confused:

Funny, I went to sleep thinking about this challenge last night, and woke up thinking about it this morning. Laid in bed for a half hour thinking about the metaphor of gun flavors.

I pondered using spices (which have recognizable flavors that most everyone knows) but that seems too simple. Guns are such complex little entities that no single spice seems to capture their essence.

So, I'm back to what most posters are doing: equating them with a dish.

I've got three of mine figured out already, but I'm still having trouble with my 870.

I'm going to go eat lunch and think about it some more. ;)

Nem

arthurcw
March 10, 2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks for all the Hellos.

Yes, this site is VERY interesting. This thread may very well change the way I purchase my next gun.

Shop Owner: "Sir, What are you doing to that gun?"
Me: "Oh... Um.. Nothing. just trying to... See what it... Um... well you see, it all started with this thread on THR..."

griz
March 10, 2006, 06:02 PM
Careful, if you tell the dealer you want to see something that tastes like a warm cinnamon bun he might call the guys with white coats.

Ridge
March 10, 2006, 07:09 PM
My Marlin 60 = Fried Rabbit

Winchester 1300=Thanksgiving Turkey

Smith&Wesson Model's 10 and 12=Fresh fried Hog meat.

Smith&Wesson Model 34= Rattle Snake cooked over a campfire.

akodo
March 10, 2006, 08:05 PM
Old bolt action single shot .22 of indeterminant model (probably coast to coast or searsroebuck)- the old barn gun, tastes like chocolate chip cookie dough, but just one small dollop.

Taurus 66 blued 357 revolver 6inch barrel, bought used. Cheap pink store brand hotdogs, microwaved until it splits open, tossed on a piece of white bread, and a pufftttt of 'kickers' ketchup (that stuff with some tobasco sauce added).

Winchester model 52 .22 boltaction, it's the taste of sticking your fork in your mouth to clean off the last little bit of the thanksgiving turkey, gravy and potatoes so it is clean(okay cleanish) and then the first bite of pumpkin pie and whipped cream (real) with same said fork...and a cup of coffee on the side.....with a dollop of whipped cream in the coffee too.

Dad's 12 guage pump also of sears and robuck. Pork potroast, potatoes and gravy, side of green beans.

Ruger 10/22. a big bag of M&Ms, kept in the freezer.

a few i haven't been able to pin down yet

rallyhound
March 10, 2006, 08:07 PM
My Glock tastes like an ashtray---------------------oh wait that was my ash tray, couldn't tell them apart. sorry.

dk-corriveau
March 10, 2006, 08:30 PM
OK, I'll bite!

- M1 tastes like steak, a rib eye simply seasoned with salt and pepper.

- .45s, perfect partners for an M1, have to be potatos. The Kimber is your basic baked potato (no sour cream or butter, just potato) and the Para LTC tastes like a fancier potato gratin.

- .22s taste like chocolate chips (small and a lot of fun).

- Finally, my FN BHP tastes like a simple pasta dish. I always associate the BHP with Europe and I ate very well the last time I visited Italy. I love the way a pasta dish can be both simple yet very elegant at the same time, like a BHP.

torpid
March 10, 2006, 09:07 PM
Okay, this really took a lot of thought to get these "just right" for me. Some of you folks have had some great flavors, and I'm feeling the pressure. But in the end I have to be true to my own guns and just say what I "taste" from each one.

My PT-145 Millennium Pro is a "Double Stuf" Oreo (at the point when you've just scraped off the "Double Stuf" creme and started biting up the crumbly chocolate cookie discs).

My Baikal SxS 12g.coach gun tastes just like smoked beef ribs- a bit on the dry side, but with marbling of tasty fat.

My old Sig P229 was like a dark chocolate mint patty, but when my buddy got it he added a Crimson Trace, and now shooting it after that it seems like a mint chocolate liqueur.

SP-101 snub in "target gray". (Dang, this was the toughest.)
Like a small leftover piece of cold medium rare steakhouse steak from the fridge- almost better than when it was served warm from the night before. So peppery charred on the outside and meaty on the inside... and just enough to make you wish you had a bit more.

:)

White Horseradish
March 10, 2006, 09:21 PM
Finn M39 on an Imperial Sestroretsk receiver - a well-aged Romano cheese, sharp, hard, and tasty.

Izhevsk 91/30 - hard black rye bread. If you don't know what I'm talking about it's really hard to explain...

9mm Hi-point - cheap yellow pre-sliced American cheese. A tasteless lookalike that will do in a pinch.

Marlin 795 - Corn chips. Not particularly flavorful, but you just keep eating...

Makarov - canned corned beef. Always reliably satisfying, but not fancy.

RIA 1911A1 - Chain-restaurant steak. Very American, unpretentious, and really not bad with some seasoning.

Homer
March 11, 2006, 05:34 AM
My TC Contender 357 mag always tastes of venison in the fall. 22lr version tastes of new brunswick stew w/rabbit or squirrell.

Contender in 30 Herret tatses of elk every once in a while.

Contender 44 mag and ruger sbh often smell of pork chops and bacon.

Ithica 37 12 ga of smells of the slowly baked phesant and occasional ruffed grouse.

Of course by the end of the season where I live....they all revert back to the smell of Hoppes #9 and tetra oil.

Homer

Homer
March 11, 2006, 05:34 AM
My TC Contender 357 mag always tastes of venison in the fall. 22lr version tastes of new brunswick stew w/rabbit or squirrell.

Contender in 30 Herret tatses of elk every once in a while.

Contender 44 mag and ruger sbh often smell of pork chops and bacon.

Ithica 37 12 ga of smells of the slowly baked phesant and occasional ruffed grouse.

Of course by the end of the season where I live....they all revert back to the smell of Hoppes #9 and tetra oil.

Homer

Pork Fat
March 11, 2006, 09:17 AM
My guns are all comfort foods, solid and satisfying, but not very exotic, except for my Century Arms R1A1 Franken-Fal. It tastes like ....

Have you ever put the terminals of a 9 volt battery against your tongue?
It's like that.:(

stevekl
March 11, 2006, 11:26 PM
You know, I was just thinking about this tonight! Not 'flavor', really, but smell. It's like you read my mind.

I noticed while taking apart my Swiss K31 that most of my guns have a unique smell. It's so weird, because I use pretty much the same chemicals to clean them all, so why should they have different smells? Yet, they do.

My K31 has a piney, almost tangy scent, like turpentine kinda.

My Swedish Mauser smells like cool sawdust.

My Marlin .22 smells like CLP (even though I don't use an especially great amount of CLP on it compared to my other weapons)

My Remington 870 smells like parkerized steel, which is a salty smell.

My SKS is very fragrant. It's hard to describe but it's a combination of cosmoline and car tires (no idea).

Smoke Rizen
March 11, 2006, 11:42 PM
My Mod. 70 .270,
Like Elk,or Muley
My Rem. 6mm,
Like Turbo Goat
My 870,
Like Goose
My SXSs,
Like upland birds
My .22s,
Like tree rats

Archie
March 12, 2006, 01:38 AM
My 1911s, the S&W revolvers, the Garand, the Swede, the 1917 Eddystone... they all taste like...

Freedom!
Self-Reliance!
Victory!

DRZinn
March 12, 2006, 02:03 AM
My 1911 tastes like biscuits and gravy.

Hearty and satisfying any time of the day or night.

entropy
March 12, 2006, 10:02 AM
Most of my Mosins: Blini, except the Polish-kielbasa! and Type 53- Moo Goo Gai Pan

Star BM- no, not a BM, but paella.

RIA M1911- Apple pie baked in the Phillipines.

Yugo SKS -goulash

Chinese SKS-Moo Shoo chicken

Remington 870- Roast wild goose, or turkey, duck, venison, squirrel, etc.

My IJ Cadet .22 snubbie: Greasy spoon pork chop and fries.

Turkish Mauser- Nan,with bratwurst.

WWII era Win. 94 -Not so much a taste as a scent, a distant memory of a hardwood fire in a deer cabin fireplace, baked beans simmering on the stove, wet wool coats drying, boots set by the hearth emitting the faint aroma of the day's slog through tamarck persuing the 'tirty point buck' who slipped and gave you a momentary glimpse of his magnificent rack, every moment of that hard day's hunt rushing through your mind as his heart simmers on the stove next to the beans. :)

Now I'm salivating!:o

MrTwigg
March 12, 2006, 03:29 PM
Roast turkey in the pan Is what my brand spankin’ new Mossberg 535 reminds me of. Like when the oven is hot and the bird has been in for about an hour, it’s got a ways to go but when it gets there you know it’s gonna be good. The smell of Bell’s seasoning and Hoppe’s No.9 fills the air, mixing with the apple pie which will follow, right as rain.

I put away a half box of 3" hi brass shells, thick and heavy as the yams in the oven with the bird. The yams are getting soft like the cardboard on the box after a day of banging around in my pack.

My wife pulls the bird out for basting as I open the safe to gaze at my new friend. The aroma of turkey fills the room and my heart beats a bit faster. Soon my new friend and I will be afield, where time is best spent and sometimes stands still.

The roasting pan lid is off now, browning the bird, as I clean the leafy camo’d stock. I find my self dreaming of roast turkey with marshmallow yams.

I stand my friend back in her place and close the safe. Supper’s ready.

Turkey season opens next month. Can you tell ? :D

Vitamin G
March 12, 2006, 04:05 PM
Kimber TLE II - It tastes like that first good beer, that you bought for yourself, when you first turned 21. This was my first pistol that i liked.

Glock 26 - It tastes like that crappy, stale, "Eww barf!" beer that your friends bought for you on your 21st birthday. You know the beer. The IC light or the Milwaukee's best ice light, "bottom barrel" beers, because your friends are cheap, and it was fresh out of the bar's barely working fridge, so its almost lukewarm. (I got rid of it) It gets the job done, until you realize there is better.

FM BHP - Fish and Chips. English delight. Comfortable and down to earth functionality. Ease of use and good for anyone's stomach.

Browning Practical BHP - See above. Add some vinegar (or ketchup if you're anti-european) to REALLY bring out the flavor and appreciate the subtle goodness.

Ruger Mark II - It tastes like the first time I had a good whiskey. My father bought this gun for me as a gift, on my 18th birthday. Something to be shared with someone important to you. He's still alive, well, and healthy, and I'm only 26, but i know that hopefully a LONG time down the road, I'll cherish the memory of that day, drinking a ripe whiskey with my father on college graduation day, just as much as i'll always cherish this gun. Once i thought about selling it toward a new gun... for about three seconds.
(and here's the odd thing... He's not a gun person... OR a drinking person)

Colt Delta Elite - Tastes like the juicy filet mignon that some fool sold me for the price of hamburger. (See Glock 26 + $100)

Glock 20 - I'd rank it like a "Blue Moon" beer. Its not bad, really. But deep down inside, blue moon is still an american beer, trying to be something its not. Glock 20 is a simple gun, trying to be elegant and cultured via 10mm goodness. Wheat doesn't make blue moon a good belgian, and 10mm doesn't make a Glock elegant, but either one will get the job done, just not as sophisticatedly (There's no possible way thats a read word) as a 1911 or a Delerium Tremens

"Ultimate" Ruger 10/22 - Butterscotch candy. Smooth, sweet, gentle, and doesn't last long. Gets the job done in freshing your breath without being overpowering. Its cheap enough that you can always give it to your friends (or let them shoot it)

SAR-1 - Altoids. Powerful, sassy.

Bushy Superlight - I'm stuck on this one.

Nematocyst
March 12, 2006, 06:15 PM
This continues to be one of the most creative threads I've read on THR.

Not the most informative, or even the most interesting, but certainly the most creative. Here's to more.
_______

OK, so I've been thinking of this challenge for literally days. Hours spent on what I would post, especially when waking up in the mornings.

I think I'm ready. Here goes...

<edit by author>

--- Well, I left it up for a few hours, but then decided to take it down for some changes.

I dunno, somehow, it didn't feel as ... right on reading it again later on.

OK, I'll play with it some and probably put it (or some version of it) back either in this post, or somewhere downstream of this ...

I also want to spend a bit longer reading other responses, making sure I understand the overall vibe of this thread, and how I really feel (in part as a result) about how my guns really taste {that's metaphorically for literalist readers :rolleyes: ).

For example, do they taste like good food, or death & destruction...or both?

Interesting exercise, this is...;)

Nem

</edit by author>

SpaceCowboy
March 12, 2006, 06:31 PM
Smith and Wesson 500:

Tastes like Vegimite... an evil brutal assault on the senses. Something I can only eat one of because if I eat more I am affraid I might die. But you have to eat it once in a while to remember why you don't eat it more often.

Hawken50
March 12, 2006, 07:25 PM
dk-corriveau beat me to it.
-my M1 definatly steak, but i'd have to go with a nicely aged T-bone.
-1911 (next on my list of purchases) baked potato
adding to that,
-my encore- very expensive scotch. only to be had one at a time
-my win 1300 12 ga. tastes like bacon. the all purpose food.
-my win 1300 20 ga. bacon bits of course
-tracker in 44mag. burbon, shoot it too fast, you'll regret it. sip it slowly and it's smooth as silk.
-my hi standard sentinel in .22, cheap beer. the more you shoot it the funner it gets.
-my Hawken .50 cal- campfire smoke
my pt111- southern comfort out of a metal pocket flask. although i don't make a habit of drinking in public, it's there when i need it.

yeah we're all gonna get locked up in the loony bin.

MountainPeak
March 12, 2006, 07:27 PM
I bought a S&W Sigma .380 a few years back. It tastes like crap, and I can't get it out of my mouth. Maybe I SHOULD have the gun in my mouth, just for buying it! ;) Every Smith semi I've bought over the years, ended up leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Now, their revolvers have all been delicious!!! :D

Ken824
March 12, 2006, 08:53 PM
are you suggesting that we put our guns in our mouths and ''taste'' them?

jbrown50
March 12, 2006, 09:08 PM
My Glocks taste like Steirisches Poulard
http://www.sallys-place.com/food/ethnic_cusine/austria.htm

My Kahrs taste like Kimchi
http://1stopkorea.com/index.htm?cooking.htm~mainframe

My Colts taste like a mixture of fresh seafood, beef, chicken, and pasta
http://www.discoverourtown.com/CT/Hartford/Dining-1362.html

Hawken50
March 12, 2006, 09:13 PM
Ken824- are you suggesting that we put our guns in our mouths and ''taste'' them?

if you're saying that to be sarcastic, you should know it's been said roughly 72 times already.

if not, you're missing the point entirely.

either way, you should have read at least the 1st page of this thread before posting.

SMLE
March 12, 2006, 10:36 PM
My 1909 SMLE MkIII would taste like strong billy(tea) and Machonchie's with a hint of mustard gas and rotten Bosche.

My 1918 Irish Free State SMLE MkIII* Like cabbage and potatoes with Guinness.

My M1 like C-Rations and sulphur.

My 1777 Converted musket like hard tack, salt pork, gritty black coffee and wood smoke.

My Mossberg 22 semi-auto like fried rabbit and beans.

Vitamin G
March 12, 2006, 11:38 PM
This is a quality thread. If not just for the entertainment value, but for getting me to realize what i really think of my guns, and even about how much i cherish some family members and memories. Thanks!

SMLE
December 27, 2007, 02:54 AM
BUMP. Why not?

average_shooter
December 27, 2007, 02:58 AM
Admittedly I haven't checked the whole thread to see if someone already said it, but;

I suppose mine taste like iron supplements... (read: no Glocks:p)

BlackBearME
December 27, 2007, 04:48 AM
Whoo - Zombie thread! I love Zombie threads. This one more than most.
First I have to say:

"Captain, I find this excercise highly illogical. Why would a firearm have a...'flavor'?"

"Shut up Spock and lick your Phaser."
This just woke my whole family up.

As to my guns:

Taurus 605 (.357)
Bailey's. And I don't know why.

JC Higgins 12 gauge
Mashed Potatoes. It's something everyone knows about, but no one really thinks about. The simplicity of it, the lack of flash and pomp, but the brutal efficicacy that lies within it all.

Saiga 12 gauge
Borsch. I had a Russian exchange girlfriend two summers ago, and she made me Borsch. I have no idea what she put in it, because she didn't know the names of any of the vegetables - she just went to Hannaford and grabbed all the ones she needed. Put them in a pot with water and let it go. This is the flavor of the Saiga - classic Russian taste, allows for a little variation. Simplistic, yet accomplishes an incredible complexity.

Fast Frank
December 27, 2007, 05:18 AM
Interesting...

My Kimber TLE2.

I don't know what it taste like.

But it smells like a dog.

An older dog. Maybe a Labrador.

Faithful. Reliable. Right there at my side where it's supposed to be.

Always my best friend no matter what.

FourNineFoxtrot
December 27, 2007, 08:26 AM
This thread is great... random and abstract. I love that.

My Mosin-Nagant M38 Carbine tastes like beef stew... Dinty Moore Beef Stew. Cheap, effective, easy, tastes good. Not too healthy to eat it all the time, and not everyone likes it. Does the job, though. (The Wolf ammo I feed it, however, is vodka. Cheap vodka. Cheaper than Smirnoff, comes in a big plastic tub from the bottom shelf at the liquor store, tastes like paint thinner, but has some bang to it.)

Winchester 1300 Defender (currently non-operational). When it worked, it was like a Bacon Double Cheeseburger; Big, tasty, inexpensive, pretty simple. When I shoot target loads, it's like a little McDonald's burger. When I've got full sized OO buck or slugs, it's like a big, juicy restaurant burger.

Now that it's hors de combat, I'm gonna have to say that it's like a candy bar that you left on the dashboard of your car in the sun all day. You still want a candy bar, but you're afraid to open it, because you know it's gonna be messy.

Sig Sauer P226... Gentleman Jack Whiskey. Better than the average run, but not too expensive. Great for someone trying to develop a taste for better things, but won't break the bank.

Taurus 605 .357 snubby. Corned beef hash, the way they do it at cheap diners when it's done right, all crusty, comes with eggs and a heaping pile of hash browns. Tasty, slightly unusual. Always on the menu, rarely ordered (at least where I'm from). Some people not only don't like it, but don't understand why you like it.

Browning BAR Landstalker in 7mm Rem. Mag. This one's kinda tough. I'm gonna have to go with Bacardi 151 rum. Strong enough to peel paint, and if three shots isn't enough for you, you're gonna get yourself in trouble. Not as much kick as you might expect... but it packs one hell of a punch.

Kahr MK9. Red Bull. Small. Potent. Doesn't taste great, but strangely addictive.

Remington 7615p, .223. This one's also tough, gonna have to go personal. This is like Black & Mild cigars. Small-ish, addictive as hell. I can go through a couple packs without even realizing it, but too many and my tongue... er... hands... get burnt.

Cmdr. Gravez0r
December 27, 2007, 12:24 PM
Yugo SKS

Tastes like smelly ammo can, gun rug, and trunk, with a suggestion of cosmoline and a definitive hint of blood. (It was in a war, got it?)

CNYCacher
December 27, 2007, 01:35 PM
Ruger P89

Weighs about 10 lbs
Eats anything you feed it
Has to go with me everywhere I go
Has a look only a mother could love

I guess it tastes like. . . baby.

mossberg
December 27, 2007, 01:51 PM
Classic Remington 870 flat black tastes like a '57 Chevy with an apple pie on the passenger seat.

K3
December 27, 2007, 02:49 PM
The Mosin tastes like a cabbage soup with some black bread. And not just because it's Russian, but because it's simple while satisfying the appetite. The sticking bolt I see while using some surplus ammo gives me a visual of having to chew hard bread.

The SKS I sold tasted like Sesame chicken. And not just because it's Chinese. Semi-auto, not terribly accurate but decent enough, and a whole lot of fun. Sesame chicken is kinda the same in that I enjoy eating it, it gets the job done (filling the belly), but there are better and healthier things out there!

mossberg
December 27, 2007, 04:00 PM
My cooey break barrel tastes like a winchester.

strangelittleman
December 27, 2007, 04:32 PM
I have no idea what my weapons taste like, but I know what this thread smells like!

h0ss
December 27, 2007, 04:49 PM
a little like hand sweat and powder residue. Why? :D

arkangel06
January 4, 2008, 10:39 AM
all my guns tast like fudge sundays

beaucoup ammo
January 4, 2008, 10:47 AM
White wing, white tail, garlic and mesquite!!

macFarlaine
January 4, 2008, 10:50 AM
Hey what's with you folks in the USA,is there something in the water we Brits need to know about ? Is this a hunting and range ritual.

rjohnson4405
January 4, 2008, 11:12 AM
CNYCacher:
I guess it tastes like. . . baby.

Too funny!

Mossberg 500: Hamburgers. I'll always eat them and they'll always be made in my house, but nothing fancy.

Rossi 92: Homemade fancy meal. It's never the same as restaurant quality but it still gets the job done. Oh yeah, and I added too much cajun b/c it's got kick!

NEF Pardner: Mac and Cheese. Simple, I like it everytime, and everyone likes it.

Ruger 22 Hornet: Canned Food. Works and always around, but I'm not sure why I have it. (Dad's that I have taken because he never shot it.)

everallm
January 4, 2008, 12:05 PM
M'mmmmmm,

Food, Drink and Firearms.....throw in rugby and we're done

Lets see.....food and drink tastes

CZ SP-01

Got to be roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese and real gravy. Filling, satisfying, reliable, suprisingly easy to do and always hits the spot. Not everyones pick until they have tasted it and then they turn to the CZ side....Oh and don't forget the required taste of English mustard, the bite reminds you not to p*ss around with it....:what:

This has to be Guinness, strong, dark and handsome, a mans drink, not some girly lager....:p

CZ RAMI 2075

This is more the cheese or dessert side, poached pears with ripe stilton. Luscious, easy to prepare, simple ingredients perfectly balanced and the bite of the cheese reminds you of it's strengths.

Ahh, certainly a dessert wine, Sauternes I think, deceptively simple, best taken on it's own, deceptive depths of flavour.

Mossberg 500

This is definitely Biltong, a cured South African meat, akin to jerky. Tough, reliable, filling and keeps for years. Hard to chew at first then the flavours of the meat and the bite of the pepper and spices remind that all things worth doing can take a little time.

Definitely beer, not quite mass market, definitely not micro brewery A drink for folks who work hard and pay for what they like, don't visit a manicurist and think metrosexual is a disease....Here it is either Brooklyn Lager or Brains SA (a Welsh brew with the nickname of Skull Attack).

Robinson Arms XCR

Compo and NATO standard tea. British army ration packs and tea so strong and sweet that it can tan your guts. Never lets you down, compact and regular, your best friend after your oppo. For all that a simple elegancy of form and function betrays a "good" background, well brought up and well mannered. Someone you could introduce to your sister.

To drink.....Austere yet complex, simplicity masking underlying complexity...Scotch or Bordeaux, damn....Got it, a fine Armagnac Vieille Réserve

Bugger, now I have to wait for lunch......:evil:

romma
January 4, 2008, 12:33 PM
Hey what's with you folks in the USA,is there something in the water we Brits need to know about ? Is this a hunting and range ritual.

I hear the firearms don't taste as good over there macfarlaine...

I hear they are bland and that English firearms producers do not know how to cook them... :p

siglite
January 4, 2008, 12:44 PM
My AR tastes like an MRE chicken-ala-king packet.

My Tikka tastes like smoked venison.

My 556 tastes like a cold beer on a hot day.

My P220 tastes like a strong cup of black coffee.

My P226 (9mm) tastes like a weaker cup of good black coffee.

My FP10LE tastes like gourmet sushi.

My Browning A5 tastes like a sifter of Rothschilds.

My Benelli Nova tastes like a heaping plate of spaghetti with garlic bread.

Mtnvalley
January 4, 2008, 12:58 PM
My XD's taste like...well, I think it's goulash.

tasco 74
January 4, 2008, 01:04 PM
gp said the first thing that came to my mind too.. :):cool:

CountGlockula
January 4, 2008, 01:06 PM
Mine tastes like MPro-7 and lead remnants.

Claude Clay
January 4, 2008, 02:06 PM
my kimber stainless custom gold match tastes like...... a faithful old dog that can always be counted on even if seldom cleaned. can do it all & is content to be by my side.
flavor....right.....either rainbow or dirty wet dog. ( sniff sniff )

04JRB
January 4, 2008, 02:11 PM
1925 winchester model 12= fine aged scotch or whiskey
30-40 krag carbine=nicely matured wine
savage 12fv .223= I cant think of what accuracy tastes like, LoL.
remington 700 sps .270= all american cheeseburger
mosin m44= a hunk of red meat, LoL.
S&W sigma .40S&W= a happy meal (due to cost and most people opinions of the sigma's, LoL)
marlin .22 semi auto= (my first gun) a lollipop I suppose

Crow1108
January 4, 2008, 02:43 PM
I'd think the Mosins taste like Borscht (spelling?...you know, the Russian cold beet soup). Or Vodka.

I'd have to say my Sigs taste like good Swiss chocolate.

My AR tastes like one of those mega-sized Hershey's candy bars that they usually sell around this time of year...packing enough to fill most anyone up, while being priced for the working man.

bluestarlizzard
January 4, 2008, 03:10 PM
just relized that i can not be allowed to post on this thread as my fevered imagination has gone overboard.

If you enjoyed reading about "What flavor is your gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!