New oregon specific gun owners forum.

PDA

fantacmet
March 11, 2006, 01:34 AM
There is a new forum for Oregon Gun Owners at http://s15.invisionfree.com/Oregon_Gun_Owners/index.php?act=idx it is not meant to compete with this forum in any way, but rather is a place where people can discuss things particularly relating to firearms ownership in the state of Oregon.

Mods if I put this in the wrong place I apoligize.

Rev. Michael

If you enjoyed reading about "New oregon specific gun owners forum." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stainless Chili
March 11, 2006, 09:34 AM
What would have been an easier address is oreguns.org.

Like Calguns.org.

fantacmet
March 11, 2006, 04:33 PM
Well I don't have the $$ to pay for a domain at the moment, but later this year I plan on getting a domain for a website and linking the forums onto it. As always membership will always be free for everything but donations to pay for bandwidth, space, domain, and hosting will be accepted(although not unti I have a full and complete working site on it's own domain.

Rev. Michael

fastbolt
March 11, 2006, 05:19 PM
Interesting ...

I may keep an eye on that forum as it develops, since OR is on my short list of states to which I may consider retiring.

I want motorcycle friendly weather for a significant part of the year ... which is what I'll miss about CA (one of a limited number of things).

Unfortunately, I really dislike the idea of some young pump-jockey having to put gas in my motorcycle ...

Nor do I enjoy the thought of not being able to go down to a local cigar lounge (or private club, if need be) and enjoy a couple of fine cigars and a drink with congenial company. The prices for cigars were better in OR last time I checked, but the selection and places to enjoy them seem to be minimal, at best. The folks in one store looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about cigar lounge/smoke shops.

I guess I'm trying to find a state with the fewest number of disagreeable attributes for my desires when I retire, but still meeting my wife's desire to remain on the West Coast for the oceans and proximity to our children.

I'm also curious to learn whether I'll be able ... and better off ... to continue to carry under a potential retirement state's laws regarding HR218 compliance, or look at a local state CCW license, when it comes to my various handguns once I'm retired.

PlayboyPenguin
March 11, 2006, 05:21 PM
Fastbolt, oregon is definately not good motorcycle weather out here on the west side. Eastern or souther Oregon would probably be better. :)

fastbolt
March 11, 2006, 07:18 PM
Eastern or southern Oregon would probably be better.

Really ...

The only place with which I'm a little familiar is Medord, having lived there for a while back in the 70's. I pass though it fairly often on my way to WA, and I've noticed that it's grown considerably over the years. Is that the sort of weather you mean when you talk about southern OR? I've been stranded in Medford (for a day or two) twice in that many years during the winter while driving to & from CA/WA, because of road conditions in the pass and in Ashland (and this last time, all up & down the very northern CA coastline, as well, which we'd also been considering if we were to remain in CA)

I don't have much experience with Eastern OR, but let me mention that I prefer not to shovel snow during the winter.;) Would that affect your recommendation?:)

I know some retired cops that live spread out up and down along I5, to the immediate West & East of it, so to speak, and they seem fairly content with their choices ... but then I've also heard opinions from other folks that retired cops aren't really 'welcomed' in certain parts of the state. Are they just running their mouths, repeating uninformed opinions, or is there some basis to that perspective?

Shooting, motorcycle riding (solo, or with only my wife) and enjoying fine cigars with friends are some of the things I enjoy, and would like to continue enjoying wherever I end up.

I wish I could get her to consider AZ, but unless they develop beach-front property in the near future, that seems to be a rather remote possibility.

fantacmet
March 11, 2006, 07:46 PM
It is still legal to smoke in lounges and tobacco shops. It is up to the establish on whether or not to prohibit or to limit smoking. There is a decent louge/bar in downtown Portland that allows cigar and pipe smoking is a nice atmosphere and as with any alcahol serving place in Oregon also serves food and not just appetizer stuff you can get full meals. Alot of places like this in downtown. Some have bad prices some have good prices. While I generally dislike downtown thids is one advantage of it. Other places allow only cigar or pipe smoking and prohibit cigarettes. There have been many attempts to ban smoking of all kinds in any place of business including bars, lounges, and tobacco shops but they haven't been able to come anywhere near seeing the light of day yet. If you don't like shoveling snow I highly recommend against central Oregon. That is where my inlaws are at and we went for a visit a couple of weeks ago and thei entire backyard was buried under 3 feet of snow. The shooting range was almost inaccessable, except for the efforts of a few people who still shoot in the winter and have snow shovels and 4x4's with plows. Near Portland is probably going to be your best bet if you want access to local indoor ranges and outdoor ranges not too far away that are 100% free. Just outside Portland is generally the best of both worlds. You get country style living but are never far from places to go for what you may need at prices that are reasonable because of alot of competition.

Rev. Michael

P.S. Not that I mind about this discussion in fact I feel it's good but lets throw it back to the subject at hand.

fastbolt
March 11, 2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks.

I'll keep an eye to see if I can discuss this subject further sometime in the other forum ...

jeepmor
September 25, 2006, 08:28 AM
Are known for their rampant gorilla marijuana growing operations. This makes some communities not so "keen" on cops retiring in their backyard. The area around Grants Pass is notorious for this activity. Not much crime besides that really, these folks are usually pretty low key since they want to stay in business. The meth heads though, they are not so crime may be increasing due to the psychosis this drug creates in heavy abusers.

I'm a native from the coastal area. Lots of rain, and if it's sunny, it's windy. I live in Portland, nice summers, wet winters. I want to live in Bend. Lots of fishing, hiking, climbing, skiing and hunting opportunities. Stays pretty dry there year round because of the Cascades just west of town. Does not snow too much to be an issue, but you will probably have to shovel your driveway occasionally. It does stay below freezing quite a bit, but it's not Montana.

Bend is one of those towns you drive to the snow to play for the most part. Don't get me wrong, a cold snap can make for a icy, snowy week, it's just usually not a huge problem. But you won't be riding your motorcycle as much in the winter, I can say that.

As for gun laws, they are pretty good here, to stay on topic. Oregon has about 3-4% CCW rate, that's pretty high. I think the PNW in general is has the highest CCW rates in the nation.

jeepmor

fordman650
September 29, 2006, 06:14 PM
fastbolt i have lived in southern OR for 25 years Grants Pass-Medford last 15 in Medford we don't have to shovel snow, may get some mostly last no longer then 2 day veries. it is 90 degrees to day,if you want a better idea of the crime and other stuff go to newspaper links .com and you can read the Medford paper or anywhere in the US to see where you want to retire,lots of good fishing and hunting here and lot of motorcycles
Larry

Gord
September 29, 2006, 11:16 PM
My family and I are looking to leave CA for Oregon next March or so - a scouting expedition is being staged in six days. :D I already know I'm not gonna want to go back to CA.

The Lebanon area catches my eye - anyone familiar with it? What can you tell me about it? Climate, cost of living, whatever - I can use it all. :)

fjolnirsson
September 30, 2006, 12:03 AM
Tactical, I'm 15 minutes from Lebanon, email me through my profile with anything you want to know.:) It's a great area!

Nematocyst
September 30, 2006, 03:56 AM
Another Oregunian.

Just reading.
Nothing to add right now ... except this:

1) It's going to get warmer & wetter here in the next few years.
2) Eastern OR is a big, big place.

Zeke Menuar
September 30, 2006, 05:23 AM
Need to get the word out about the Oregon web site. It's pretty dead.

ZM

fantacmet
December 2, 2006, 10:50 PM
I agree. While there have been a few new members, and a couple of people posting here and there, it would do better if we could get more people to it. Any idea's? I have it in the search engines(supposedly) but I don't exactly have any money to promote it. Any idea's or help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Rev. Michael

SiG Lady
December 2, 2006, 11:24 PM
Zeke, who's running that generic Oregon site...? Looks somewhat anonymous at first glance......

There is one specifically good nearby defensive training (shooting and other stuff) in Brownsville, OR and some good shooting ranges up and down the Interstate-5... including our nice indoor range here in Eugene. Check the link in my signature for a shooting forum that's been active (and Oregon-specific) for a year-and-a-half.

For those not living in Oregon, the population up here is still sparse (compared to some other places): about 3.5 million, which is a half-million more than I recently thought it was. Up from 2 million not too long ago. A lot of people decided to move here over the past ten years. Politically, Oregon is about half red, half blue.

Oregon's on a tight budget right now and the meth problem is significant. In part because it's so rural here and anyone can hide just about anywhere. Similar conditions exist in Washington State. With reduced law enforcement personnel, it's tough to police, convict and incarcerate the various losers we see every day in our local society.

Oregon's always had a little problem with lack of jobs. It's still that way. High cost of living, low wages. Go figure. I'm currently working for minimum wage. Part-time. I'm not kidding.

Additional laws have been enacted restricting smoking in taverns and restaurants since that earlier post. Some have held out and allow smoking still, but mostly the public houses have gone "clean air."

Oregon is a "shall issue" state, so obtaining one's CHL is relatively easy if you qualify. Not too terribly expensive, either.

Eugene has a national reputation for "hippy"-ness. Don't be deluded. This town is run by a small cadre of wealthy conservatives. Period.

On the other hand, Oregon has a profoundly good reputation for environmental cleanliness and stewardship. It has a proud history of progressive thought in matters of environment.

fantacmet
March 31, 2007, 03:40 AM
I'm running the oregon forums that this thread refers to. I just bought a domain and hosting today and it's running, setting up the link to the forum in the placeholder right now. www.oregonguns.org

Michael.

Nematocyst
March 31, 2007, 03:44 AM

delta53
April 5, 2007, 08:12 AM
Fasbolt How will anyone know you were a cop ? I don't tell anyone what I do and if they ask I tell them just road maintainence

Oohrah
April 7, 2007, 05:16 AM
Hey Fastbolt, I am aways handed the gas hose when filling my
Harley! Quit smoking my pipe a year ago and found a few places
that were cigaretes only. Live in the so. coast area with winter rain
but don't shovel snow. Mean temp year round 68. Lot of us former
law, Marines, and people from other states settled in here:) :) :)

RJS34
April 7, 2007, 12:07 PM
I live in Eastern Oregon, right by the Idaho border. As one poster said Eastern Oregon is quite big. Bend all the way to the Idaho border. I happen to live near Vale which is 20 minutes away from the Idaho border but am familiar with most of the towns out here. Really it depends on the winter and where you are as far as snow goes but we normally get snow every year. There are some nice places out here so if you have any questions let me know.

skud_dusty
April 9, 2007, 12:57 AM
I'm in Portland and registered not too long ago. Need to get more Oregonians on there ;)

fantacmet
September 17, 2007, 05:27 AM
Yup, trying to get the word out as much as possible. Another issue is folks there just kinda stop visiting. I made it easier with the domain name www.oregonguns.org to visit. Pretty easy to remember.

Regolith
September 17, 2007, 06:43 AM
Hmm...I think I might sign up...

I'm a Nevada resident, but I live for 11 months out of the year in Eastern Oregon while I attend college. My parents were born in Oregon and will be moving back to build a house on the family farm as soon as I graduate (which will be in about two years).

If you enjoyed reading about "New oregon specific gun owners forum." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!