Ambi-9mm's

PDA

boo586
April 17, 2003, 09:52 AM
Hello everyone,

I am going to be helping my brother in-law pick out a 9mm pistol here in the near future. He is left handed but his oon to be fiance is right handed and not very gun friendly, but will learn to use it since my BIL works swing shift and she is home alone at night quite often. So here is what I thinking he might want in a pistol.

Full Size
All Steel
Fixed Sights
Ambi Safety (capable)
9mm

We have looked at handguns before and here is what he has liked.

Berreta 92
Taurus 92 and 99
Ruger P89

He has shot a Glock 19 and hated it, but has shot a Rguer P95 and liked it; however, he prefers an all steel gun to absorb more of the recoil impulse. I was going to show him a CZ75, Hi-Power and Clones, Taurus PT911 and what else?

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Boo586

If you enjoyed reading about "Ambi-9mm's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
axeman_g
April 17, 2003, 10:39 AM
In my opinion dont let your friend discount polymer. I find some polymer guns to soak up more felt recoil due to flex. My suggestions

Steyr M9 (underated, fastest firing and sight acquiring gun I own)
Springfiled XD (I only hav the .40, but I like it alot. Very solid. If you can find a used HS2000 I would look at that gun also)
CZ85 (accurate, steel, indestructable priced well)
Walther p99 is ambi, but I hear things I dont like and it is expensive.

I have owned all the guns you have mentioned. These are my current crop, and the ones I have enjoyed the most. I have always wished to like ruger grips, but they are just to big.

Your friends girl will not like the beretta/taurus grips, they are two wide for women to shoot comfortably.

10-Ring
April 17, 2003, 10:52 AM
I would normally recommend a HK USP or USPc 9, but you stipulated all steel. In that case, I'll go to the USP's all steel cousin, the P7M8 :)

marley
April 17, 2003, 11:00 AM
Your list says BHP practial
full size
all steel
fixed sights
ambi
9mm
It also works well for those with small hands.
What your missing is a 1911 springfield or colt.
Patrick
:)

Berg01
April 17, 2003, 11:21 AM
When you say "all steel", do you mean to include the Beretta 92-series, which has an alloy frame?

Direct from the Beretta Website;

92 Series Pistols are semi-automatics and operate on the short recoil, delayed locking block system, which yields a faster cycle time and delivers exceptional accuracy and reliability. Each features a lightweight, forged frame made from aircraft-quality aluminum alloy. All 92 series pistols feature unique safety refinements. On FS models, the manual safety also functions as a decocking lever. A firing pin block secures the firing pin. The chamber loaded indicator is visible or can be felt by touch.

If you want to stick with steel framed guns, try the CZ 85B (ambi slide release and safety version of the 75B).

From the CZ Website;

The design of the CZ 85B stems from the popular CZ 75 line. The CZ 85B has ambidextrous safeties and slide stop. The CZ 85 B version is complemented with a firing pin block safety to further enhance the safety of the firearm.

If you want to include alloy-framed guns, of your choices, I am most familiar with the Beretta 92FS, and would recommend that one. But (IMHO), of the steel framed guns, based on your criteria, I would go with the CZ 85B.

critter
April 17, 2003, 11:29 AM
LK P7 M8!!!!!!!!

Litlman
April 17, 2003, 11:37 AM
BHP, CZ 85, P7m8....

tobeat1
April 17, 2003, 11:53 AM
P7M8 or (hehe) a 9mm STI Trojan. :cool:

cratz2
April 17, 2003, 03:40 PM
Hello from a fellow Hoosier! :D

I'm a 1911 guy but have a Taurus PT99AF (adjustable sights) that has been the most consistantly reliable gun I've ever owned. Ambi safety in the proper location, very reliable, good value. My wife is 5'2" and obviously has small hands. She doesn't think the Taurus is the most comfortable gun ever but she can shoot it just fine. For comfort, I really like the CZ75 and EAA Witness guns, alsy consistantly reliable and good values.

George Hill
April 17, 2003, 03:54 PM
Look at the new Kahr T9.

John G
April 17, 2003, 03:56 PM
Sounds like the Browning Hi-Power fits the bill. My lefty friend loves shooting it, and it's a classic.

boo586
April 17, 2003, 04:15 PM
Thanks everyone!!

I had forgotten about the all steel witness guns. Can an ambi-safety be installed on the Feg Hi Power Clones fairly easily?

The new kahr would be great, but no external safety on the gun so that one is probably a no go.

He's looked at the P7M8, way out of his price range, but after holding one he knew he shouldn't of!!!

What about a used S&W? Any particular ones come to mind??

Thanks,

Boo586

treeprof
April 17, 2003, 04:22 PM
Consider the CZ 85 Combat. It does have adj sights, but there's no need to fuss with it to get the mags to free-fall (no biggie to do yourself, tho), adj. for trigger travel and no stoopid firing pin block, which makes stripping and cleaning a whole lot easier. The extended mag release may be easier to manipulate as a lefty as well (you might be able to work it with the flat of your fingner, rather than the tip. Hmm, I'm gonig to have to try it on mine).

M1911
April 17, 2003, 04:30 PM
Look at the Smith & Wesson third generation pistols -- they have ambi safeties/decockers. I can't keep their numbering scheme straight, so look at their web site.

10-Ring
April 17, 2003, 04:32 PM
I budget is an issue, I'd recommend a CZ ;)

Berg01
April 18, 2003, 10:05 AM
Smith & Wesson 5906 is an all steel full size (DA/SA) 9mm; I've seen a lot of these as LEO trade ins at the local gun shops at very reasonable prices. They are solid guns. In addition, S&W has the 910 (matte) and 910s (stainless) "value" line of their full size 9mm guns; these have the alloy frame. These are accurate and reliable guns that are definitely worth looking at.

BLiTzNicK
April 18, 2003, 10:45 AM
Can an ambi-safety be installed on the Feg Hi Power Clones fairly easily?

As far as I know.

dude
April 18, 2003, 12:04 PM
P7M8

the ultimate 'ambi' pistol

If you enjoyed reading about "Ambi-9mm's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!