6mm bb's and shotgun shells

PDA

KriegHund
March 11, 2006, 03:59 PM
I hear alot about replacing the steel/lead shot in a shotgun shell with rocksalt for HD. What about those 6mm plastic airsoft pellets?

They come in light .12grams and .20grams.

If you enjoyed reading about "6mm bb's and shotgun shells" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chipperman
March 11, 2006, 04:58 PM
For what purpose?

Are you intending the load to be "less lethal", or are you looking for a lethal load that will be less penetrative?

Fred Fuller
March 11, 2006, 05:16 PM
One more time- don't do it.

Shotguns are LETHAL WEAPONS. Anything you shoot out of a shotgun, INCLUDING BLANKS, _might_ prove lethal. Shooting anyone with anything fired out of a shotgun is considered use of lethal force in any jurisdiction I am familiar with, and you need to be legally justified in using lethal force before doing so. That being the case, reloading any sort of oddity into a shotgun shell that you are intending to use to shoot another person regardless of the circumstances is questionable logic at best and might well be construed in a manner totally opposite your intentions by some malevolent attorney in a court of law.

Load your shotgun with birdshot if you think you must, or buckshot, or slugs- and that's it. Leave the so-called "exotic" ammunition to the ads in the mens' magazines and comic books, leave the handloads to the training range and the game or clay fields, leave the "less lethal" loads to the law enforcement officers who have the certified training and the legal justification to use it under certain circumstances. You as a private citizen are legally justified in using lethal force under certain circumstances as detailed by your local and state laws. You are NOT justified in using lethal force (i.e., a shotgun) in any other circumstances EXCEPT where lethal force is justified. If you DO cobble up some home-made load that you intend to be "less lethal," and then shoot someone with it, you will be opening yourself up to a lot _more_ questions than would be asked with any shooting that took place using normal ordinary store- bought loads. And if you kill someone with that load, which is entirely possible, you might actually get asked those questions at the bench in court.

That might be worth it to you. It is decidedly NOT worth it to me. If I am forced to shoot someone in self defense, it is going to be with store-bought ammunition that I can justify using in defensive applications because of demonstrated accuracy and performance out of my particular guns. It will NOT be with something unconventional that I put together at the loading bench at home.

hth,

lpl/nc (old fuddy duddy, been in court enough for a lifetime already and don't wanna go no more)

KriegHund
March 11, 2006, 05:34 PM
A) I dont have a shotgun
B) I wasnt planning on doing this

I was however curious if anyones ever tryed it or thinks its feasible.

I think the really light pellets would produce some interesting effects.

mrmeval
March 11, 2006, 06:08 PM
http://www.21stcenturyairsoft.com/products/

There are 37mm versions of the rubber pellet round as well.

Kevlarman
March 11, 2006, 06:33 PM
You know, after reading the "nickels and dimes" thread last night, I dreamt about putting a bunch of airsoft BBs in a shotgun shell. :evil:

Somebody should work up a load and see how it does in ballistics gel and barriers.

Maybe the pellets will merely bounce of pineboards and endanger the shooter.
Maybe the pellets would melt instantly before they left the barrel.

Just for the heck of it, you know? :D

If you enjoyed reading about "6mm bb's and shotgun shells" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!