Milsurp shotguns??

PDA

Oldnamvet
March 11, 2006, 04:43 PM
There are lots of milsurp rifles for sale but I haven't seen any shotguns. Do milsurp shotguns even exist?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Milsurp shotguns??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mrmeval
March 11, 2006, 05:05 PM
Shotguns don't change much and it's easier to repair them than make new ones so why bother? There may be interest in them but the cheap imports would drive the profit out of them.

I have seen some ex-police stuff show up though.

M.E.Eldridge
March 11, 2006, 06:01 PM
I've seen riot guns and police surplus shotguns from the 50s and 60s at gun shows and they are always priced at about $800, which negates one the major selling points of mil-surps: their low price. Trench shotguns from WWI sell for a couple thousand. A repro sells for a couple hundred new, so there really is no market for them, except for collectors.

While some may buy mil-surps for collector value, I buy them because they are powerful, rugged, accurate(to a degree) firearms at an exceptionaly low price and the history they posses is just an added bonus. Most of the mil-surp shooters that I know feel quite similar, so an expensive firearm, especially one that costs more than a new factory firearm isn't going to appeal to a wide margin of mil-surp buyers.

Fred Fuller
March 11, 2006, 06:12 PM
They do indeed exist, but it has been a long time since genuine milsurp shotguns were sold off by Uncle Sam. And has been indicated, they are a hot collector market these days. I have seen Winchester Model 97s and Model 12s, Ithaca Model 37s, and various other classic pump and semiautos with Ordnance markings through the years. Many were used as guard guns, or as training shotguns (gunners on bombers used to learn their trade shooting at thrown clay pigeons while they themselves were being ridden along in the back of open trucks). There were LOTS of shotguns sold out of GI inventory after WW2, at bargain prices.

But that was then. This is now. Sometimes you will find law enforecement agency trade-ins at decent prices, but lots of administrators are finding they can get shotguns refurbished cheaper than getting new ones. So that market is shrinking too. Good deal for taxpayers, bad news for shooters looking for bargains on good shotguns.

lpl/nc

If you enjoyed reading about "Milsurp shotguns??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!