Questions about neck sizing...

PDA

Tomekeuro85
March 11, 2006, 05:00 PM
I want to start doing some neck sizing only insetad of FL sizing. I only have one rifle of each caliber, so that won't be a problem.

Can you start to use a little more powder since the case is already expanded?

I'm mainly wanting to do this because I won't have to lube them and it will go much faster.

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions about neck sizing..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dennymac
March 11, 2006, 05:56 PM
Good evening. If you want to neck size, that is great. But, it only works for bolt action rifles. Lever guns or semi autos will not work well. Maybe not at all without full length sizing. Best of luck to you. DennyMac

Uncle Don
March 11, 2006, 06:55 PM
I want to start doing some neck sizing only insetad of FL sizing. I only have one rifle of each caliber, so that won't be a problem.

Can you start to use a little more powder since the case is already expanded?

I'm mainly wanting to do this because I won't have to lube them and it will go much faster.

I'm assuming you mean that you would get a neck sizing die as opposed to trying to do with your full lenth sizer. No, it is not safe to use more of a powder charge based on increased area - it's not enough to warrant safety for this. You're right, not having to lube them saves a great deal of time, and you'll find that your trimming will be cut back to about a fourth of what it used to be (or less). I also agree with Dennymac in that neck sizing is great for single action or bolt action rifles but will not stand up to the demands of hunting as the bullet is held by neck tension only and feeding from a magazine wouldn't be as reliable.

Infidel
March 11, 2006, 07:45 PM
.... neck sizing is great ... but will not stand up to the demands of hunting as the bullet is held by neck tension only and feeding from a magazine wouldn't be as reliable.
I don't get this. What has neck or full-length sizing got to do with neck tension, which is determined by the seating die or a follow-on crimper die?

ocabj
March 11, 2006, 08:05 PM
I don't get this. What has neck or full-length sizing got to do with neck tension, which is determined by the seating die or a follow-on crimper die?

Correct. Full length or neck only should have equal amounts of neck tension holding the bullet. Only difference between a traditional full length and a traditional neck only sizer is that the full length sizes the body and bumps the shoulder whereas the neck only does not.

Art Eatman
March 11, 2006, 08:22 PM
I only neck resize, except for some cartridges like a .220 Swift I'll full-length resize every third or fourth time as well as mike and trim. Some cases stretch a bit with repeated firings. Cases with sharper shoulders (.243, .30-'06, etc.,) aren't any problem.

I use a full-length die, just backed off enough in the press so that some 3/4 of the neck is sized. That's worked for many decades.

Yeah, the case is expanded slightly compared to brand-new. But you won't gain more than maybe 1% in velocity, and Bambi won't know the difference. And remember, accuracy is usually best at a grain or so below maximum.

Art

SASS#23149
March 11, 2006, 10:11 PM
I"ve been neck sizing for my thutty thutty and so far so good.Ammo feeds and chambeers just fine.Guess it depends on the exact rifle and it's chamber.
I sure like neck sizing vs. fl sizing.!

Bullet
March 12, 2006, 12:08 AM
Tomekeuro85

I like these for neck sizing –

http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/typesbushseatdie.html

And these for seating –

http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/compseatingdie.html

You might need this too –

http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/bodydies.html

I would recommend Lapua brass too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions about neck sizing..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!