Mosin Bolt Problems

PDA

M.E.Eldridge
March 11, 2006, 09:45 PM
Recently my 91.30 has been having bolt sticking problems after I fire it and it has me a bit annoyed and puzzled. Simetimes the bolt even sticks so bad that I have to beat it to get it open. I tried oiling the thing up and it had no effect. So, what is wrong and what should I try to do to fix it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Bolt Problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dm1333
March 11, 2006, 09:49 PM
Have you inspected the cases after ejecting them? Any splits or bulging? If the cases are fine try taking a bronze 20 gauge bore brush and a cleaning rod and chuck it into your drill. Soak the chamber with a good solvent and then run the brush through there at a low speed. You might have a build up of laquer or cosmoline in there. Mine sticks too but it is from ammo splits. I inspect my rounds before shooting them because I have found some that were already split before firing.

grimjaw
March 11, 2006, 10:27 PM
Perhaps this page (sticking bolt problem (http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/sticking_bolt.htm)) can help?

jmm

rangerruck
March 12, 2006, 04:08 AM
dittos to dm 1333.

Cosmoline
March 12, 2006, 04:10 AM
In most cases if the cleaning doesn't do the trick, you've got a parts rifle with a poorly headspaced bolt head. With a properly fitted head, there should be no such sticking. Keep in mind that you can have minor headspace problems with a Mosin and see no obvious signs on the brass.

armoredman
March 12, 2006, 09:18 AM
Cosmo in the chamber pits. Drill it, shoot it, drill it, no problem.:cool:

Niner
March 12, 2006, 10:53 AM
What kind of ammo are you shooting? Steel lacquer coated shell cases contribute to sticking, although you don't say what kind of ammo you are using. If its steel lacquer coated ammo you have I'd suspect the ammo not the chamber as causing the sticking. You should also check headspace to be on the safe side.

M.E.Eldridge
March 12, 2006, 11:08 AM
I had the headspace checked and was told it was safe. The bolt problems seem to only occur or at least they occur much more noticeably when I used cheap surplus. New production Silver Bear seems to work fine.

Shrinkmd
March 12, 2006, 11:57 AM
I have a related question:

My MN91/30 does great with the Polish copper washed stuff. No stick, no problems at all. If I start using laquer coated surplus, will it eventually build up and cause a problem, or if everything is clean it will be ok as long as I do regular cleaning following a session at the range.

Niner
March 12, 2006, 07:21 PM
I don't use the lacquer ammo in my Nagants because of the sticking possibilities. I tend to think the rifles with the closest to spec headspace are more likely to stick than others.

One notion that I tend to agree with is that the lacquer coated steel ammo was made for automatic rifles. In auto rifles they cycle so quickly the lacquer doesn't cause sticking.

ball3006
March 13, 2006, 02:22 PM
ammo aren't you. Switch to the copper clad or brass cased Albanian, if you can find it, and your problem will mostly go away. Then if you still have sticking, you have a chamber problem......chris3

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Bolt Problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!