Choate "Ultimate Sniper" stocks

PDA

MachIVshooter
March 12, 2006, 02:32 PM
With nothing to do last weekend, I decided to go to the gunshow (against my wallet's better judgement). Low and behold, one of the vendors had Chaote stocks for sale. His prices were the same as Cabela's, but obviously with no S&H or freight, so I picked one up. Went home and attached it to my 700 ADL .30-06 (A rifle that I bought after waking up one morning and feeling the "itch" with no particular firearm in mind). This stock added some weight over the black sythetic and also balaced the rifle better. The grip is quite thick, but places the trigger finger perfectly. Top veiw is a little weird, as the rifle has a sproting contour barrel and the stock is made to accomodate a heavy tube, but oh well. I stuck a bipod on it and headed to the range. All I can say is wow. Between the added weight and better ergonomics, this rifle is a dream to shoot now! I can lay prone and launch 180 grain handloads all day long with no soreness, and I don't even have to think about eye relief (something I have always had to watch shooting this rifle prone with the scope it has that only allows ~1.5" of relief with the raingaurds). I highly recommend these stocks for a budget target rifle, especially if it is to be shot in various positions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Choate "Ultimate Sniper" stocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nvshooter
March 12, 2006, 05:33 PM
I wanted one of those but alas, not to be had in LH. We lefties never get nothin' neat for our heat...

RecoilRob
March 12, 2006, 06:41 PM
I put a M-700 VLS .308 Heavy in one and was pleased with the results. The stippling on the grip and forend was VERY sharp and needed tamed down a bit with a file but the rifle shot much better in the Choate than it had in the laminated factory one.

Granted, the barrel is floated in the US which should help but the great bedding and the stability of the design are probably as responsible for the tightening of the groups.

Plus, the rifle looks great in one. So long as you can tolerate the weight, it's all good.

Hawken50
March 12, 2006, 06:50 PM
Top veiw is a little weird, as the rifle has a sproting contour barrel and the stock is made to accomodate a heavy tube
just think of it as extreme free floating.

i've wanted a choate for my mossy 800bv, now i might have to get one

USSR
March 12, 2006, 07:26 PM
Great small boat anchors.:rolleyes:

Don

Rockstar
March 12, 2006, 07:34 PM
I believe I'd prefer their Ultimate Varmint.

If you enjoyed reading about "Choate "Ultimate Sniper" stocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!