A good, common sense idea...(and therefore doomed)

PDA

geekWithA.45
January 3, 2003, 01:38 PM
Note: I originally posted this on packing.org.

A)The President has asked for citizen volunteers to aid in the fight against terrorism

B)There aren't enough Sky Marshalls, and what few we have are massively overworked.

C)The sky marshalls have stringent training and proficiency requirements, but a great many of us can meet or beat those requirements.

I therefore propose: The Sky Marshall Citizen's Reserve, just like military reserve. 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year. This is consistent with our tradition of deputizing citizens in time of need.

As much as I dislike air travel, I'd volunteer, train, and spend a weekend aloft each month, and this would be a MEANINGFUL, ACTIONABLE thing to do, rather than the vague calls for preparedness and ratting out the suspicious neighbors.

What say ye?

If you enjoyed reading about "A good, common sense idea...(and therefore doomed)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReadyontheRight
January 3, 2003, 01:42 PM
I think they should encourage law-abiding citizens carry a gun while flying. This will never fly though (SFTBP:D ). "Airport Security" is more about perception than reality.

Chipperman
January 3, 2003, 01:46 PM
Neat idea. Of course, the liability and red tape alone would kill any attempt, even if someone seriously was interested in implementing it.. :banghead:

Rangie
January 3, 2003, 01:58 PM
How about a border patroll reserve too ?

I'd love to have a more meaingfull way to help out without having to enlist.

I don't feel like I'm doing my part at the moment.

Dosen't matter a good, common sense idea...(and therefore doomed) :banghead:

PATH
January 3, 2003, 02:26 PM
Nice ideas! Never happen.:(

mjustice
January 3, 2003, 02:32 PM
The government lost interest common sense a long time ago... :)

I think your ideas are good, but none of our elected representatives have the ability to ramrod them through. The discussion alone would kill it - "paralysis of analysis"

MJ

WilderBill
January 3, 2003, 02:45 PM
I like it.
What it would take is for some high profile politian to present it like he just dreamed it up himself (how else would they get untersested?) and give it some massive PR.

ball3006
January 3, 2003, 04:26 PM
program about 15 years ago and was turned down because I was 6 months too old. Now they have done away with the marksmanship standards in the sky marshal program because the female applicants cannot pass the firearms traning. I don't fly anymore and I work for an airline....chris3

2dogs
January 3, 2003, 04:35 PM
Citizen sky marshalls, border patrol- I like them both but agree with others here- there is no way our rulers will allow it.

Look at the rigamarole it took to get pilots OK'd for firearms. There was never a more common sense idea- the problem was that they are civilians (also known as serfs) and therefore could not be trusted to defend themselves and others. So we have to have the ruler's sorcerer wave a magic wand over them, repeat 3 times "Federalized" and magically- poof- they are now capable of defending themselves and others. See how it works?

Say, when ARE those Federalized pilots going to be armed? Anyone heard what they're carrying? No? Hmmm.

:banghead:

dinosaur
January 3, 2003, 04:43 PM
Remember after 9/11 one sheriff in Oregon :confused:, sorry but my memory is fuzzy, said something about using private citizens to help safeguard his area? It was posted on TFL and the state said he couldn`t do it.

dave
January 3, 2003, 05:46 PM
I think the problem the feds have with this is the "citizen" aspect of it. When something goes wrong in a program, as it appears is happening with the SM program, they can always keep it under wraps by threatening to fire anyone who talks in public. That would be hard to do with someone that doesn't "work" for them.

I believe the last thing the feds want is for the public to know just how messed up things are. If they can't "control" you, they don't want you.

vulcan
January 3, 2003, 06:59 PM
The great fear of goverment is if the civilian programs work, They lose some CONTROL & the sheeples might actually find out that guns in the hands of civilians are a good thing.

Common sense is a uncommon virtue

Lone_Gunman
January 3, 2003, 07:26 PM
Mall Ninjas and Special Forces wannabe's would sign up in droves, no doubt.

Dont worry about another 911. Unarmed passengers will not allow another plane to be taken, and if they do, the F16's will keep it out of big buildings.

sasnofear
January 3, 2003, 07:30 PM
QUOTE: I think they should encourage law-abiding citizens carry a gun while flying. This will never fly though (SFTBP ). "Airport Security" is more about perception than reality.

-------------------------------------------------------

yea, great idea.

question form:

we wanna make you a marshal, your not a terrorist are you?

Yes/no boxes

the person ticked no.

on the plane...."actually i lied i am a terrorist...surprise!"

geekWithA.45
January 3, 2003, 10:24 PM
sansnofear:

In the air marshall case, they'd check ya out. A fair number of us civvies hold security clearances for work, which is the same background check.

In the general civilian carry case, sure, 1 -5 guys might lie, but that'd be OK, cause there'd be 20 who didn't, any one of which (if they practice) would be sufficient.

If you enjoyed reading about "A good, common sense idea...(and therefore doomed)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!