Where can I find info on Winchester Model 12?

PDA

Trebor
March 12, 2006, 05:52 PM
A local shop has a Winchester Model 12 that has been sitting there for about a year. They specialize in handuns and "evil black rifles" and people don't seem to look closely at the shotguns.

The gun is in about 80% condition and has a Cutts Compensator installed.

I'm tempted to make an offer since they've had it so long. I think it's priced at $350 now.

The problem is I know absolutely NOTHING about these guns, other than the fact that many people really, really like them.

Any reccomendations on what I should look at when I go back to look at the gun again? Serial number ranges for date of manufacture? How would I function check the gun? Etec.

Also, any good on-line soures for info on this gun so I can do some reading before I go back?

Any help is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where can I find info on Winchester Model 12?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smith357
March 12, 2006, 07:23 PM
The M12 was the first and most popular hammerless pump shotgun made by Winchester. The M12 was made in 12, 16, 20 and 28 gauge; and in : Field, Fancy, Skeet, Trap, Pigeon, Tournament, Featherweight, Heavy Duck Gun, Riot Gun and Trench Gun grades.

Production in 1912 was 5308 units, by WWII they were up to 900,000. Prodution stopped in 1963 at 1,962,001 with another 100,000 parts guns being made until 1966. In 1972 the new model 12 was introduced whit a Y prefix before the serial number. Winchester finally stopped all production of the M12 in 1979. A few years ago Browing had some M12 High Grades made by Miroku of Japan.

Dave McCracken
March 12, 2006, 09:10 PM
It's as good a pump gun as ever made.

Some folks like the Cutts. Others do not. Easy enough to remove and thread for choke tubes if needed.

I'm no Model 12 maven, but in the condition mentioned and with a Cutts, $350 is a bit high, IMO.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where can I find info on Winchester Model 12?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!