Mosin Safety Alternative?

PDA

MinScout
March 12, 2006, 08:09 PM
I bought a Finnish Mosin yesterday at a gun show. I was wondering how one could possibly hunt with it using that awkward safety. Snap shooting would be out of the question, it seems. However, If one was in a stand or blind, would it be better to leave it off safe and just leave the bolt open slightly, then close it when you see the animal? Just sorta wondering out loud here, since I probably won't use it for hunting. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Safety Alternative?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dm1333
March 12, 2006, 10:30 PM
Using instructions I found on surplusrifle.com I took a few coils off the firing pin spring. Never had a light strike and the safety is much easier to apply. My technique is to grasp the knob between my fore and middle fingers, then push the whole rifle away from me with the other hand. My fingers are there to keep the safety knob in the same spot as I push the rifle away and then rotate to engage the safety. I think with a little practice you will find it is easy to put on and off and very secure.

Dave Markowitz
March 13, 2006, 09:12 AM
Check out the modification this guy did to his M-N sporter:

http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/mnsporter.html

You could get a second cocking piece and modify like so, then switch back to the original cocking piece when you want the rifle to be authentic.

cracked butt
March 13, 2006, 09:20 AM
People are still fiddling with the safeties on the mosins? Mosins are soooo early 1890s, like get with it and get a mauser 98. :neener:

:D

The mosin safety isn't so awkward once you get used to it, its a very positive safety and with some practice it becomes easy to take off. Other than that, use the safety between your ears.

Cosmoline
March 13, 2006, 11:49 AM
"GROW STRONGER" :neener:

Seriously, hacking and welding is a foolish waste of time and energy. Not to mention the fact that a Finn may have serious value to it. The trick is to not use your wrist and fingers to turn the safety, but your arm muscles. I keep the rifle against my chest, lock my wrist and then rotatae my arm from 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock. The safety on a Mosin is both extremely functional and extremely practical. It can be taken on and off with no "clicks" and actually locks the firing pin against the reciever. It's far safer than any modern rifle safety. People have problems with it because they are used to switches that require no strength.

LEARN IT, LOVE IT, LIVE IT. Or sell the rifle to me :D

dasmi
March 13, 2006, 11:53 AM
I'm with Cosmoline on this one. The Mosin-nagant safety is one of the few I actually trust. Once it's on, it isn't coming off.

phoglund
March 13, 2006, 01:15 PM
Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and your finger off the trigger and you will be fine. It's not like them things have hair triggers or anything. :)

Firehand
March 13, 2006, 01:19 PM
What works best for me is to place the butt on the lower bicep, just above the elbow, then grasp the knob and pullback & turn. Makes it a lot easier.

Though if you've got a really stiff one, might get a spare mainspring and trim it a bit & try.

ball3006
March 13, 2006, 02:13 PM
.....................use the safety between your ears. It should work better anyway........chris3

Cosmoline
March 13, 2006, 04:13 PM
Cocked and unlocked? When did that suddenly become a good idea?

M.E.Eldridge
March 13, 2006, 04:18 PM
Personaly, I just keep the chamber empty. I do that on all my rifles until I'm going to shoot them. I rarely use sasfeties on any rifle whether they are easy to manipulate or not.

Q-Lock
March 14, 2006, 01:42 PM
" Ditto what phoglund said......
.....................use the safety between your ears. It should work better anyway........chris3"

God forbid you trip and somehow manage to shoot/kill your hunting buddy. All because you didn't want to use the safety for what it was made for....saving your *** in case it somehow accidentally "attempts" to discharge.

Me...I just use the safety. It's easy enough to get the hang of after a while, and it's reliable as hell.

Regards,

ball3006
March 14, 2006, 03:05 PM
if I am not shooting the rifle? I have not tripped while hunting in over 50 years. I grew up hunting in south Texas where if you don't watch where you put your feet, you WILL get bit.......My hunting bud will not be on my right side anyway. I hunt lefty and do not allow someone to walk on my right side....I stand by my comment that the safety between your ears is far better than any mechanical device.......chris3

dm1333
March 14, 2006, 03:16 PM
The safety between your ears will not do anything if you fall or something snags your trigger. Just because no one is to your right doesn't mean that if you fall the rifle is going to stay pointed to the right. I normally hunt by myself and still always use the safety. Why take that chance when the safety is operable?

M.E.Eldridge
March 14, 2006, 03:33 PM
Remeber, though that safeties can easily fail. A safety is a mechanical device, no some piece of magic. Sure, a safety helps prevent an accident if you drop the gun, but if it fails someone could easily be seriously wounded or even killed. Like I said, I keep my chambers empty until I'm either ready to shoot or on stand. As safe as a safety is, it can still fail. An empty chamber, however, can't.

Q-Lock
March 14, 2006, 03:55 PM
Accidental discharge of your firearm is highly improbable, sure I'll buy that....but it's definitely possible. No matter how careful you are..accidents can happen.

I agree that the safety between your ears is better than a mechanical safety, but why not use both? I guess that's just where we differ.

For your sake and everyone else you hunt with, I hope you never do trip/snag the trigger on something/any number of other things.

Be safe,

Cosmoline
March 14, 2006, 04:40 PM
Actually it is almost impossible for a Mosin-Nagant safety to fail. So long as nobody has hacked it, the safety locks the firing pin to the receiver. Shoulders on the pin act as a secondary lock and prevent it from going down the channel to the primer. Most modern rifle safeties simply lock out the trigger, and do nothing to the bolt or pin. These can fail and sometimes do. But a Mosin's safety effectively disassembles the bolt itself and secures it in place no matter what happens with the trigger sear.

Stiletto Null
March 14, 2006, 07:32 PM
Sounds like the Mosin safety is (almost?) as moron-proof as the Mauser safety. Except that I can actually disengage the Mauser safety with one hand (ok, with the left arm helping...shaddup).

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Safety Alternative?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!