How bad is your case of milsurp "sickness"

PDA

jagdpanzer347
March 12, 2006, 09:58 PM
Greetings all. Do you walk past tables full of shiney new rifles at a gun show with nary a second glance, searching for the next special "relic" to add to your collection? Do you have stacks of books dedicated to the subject? Are you up to date on the current availability of firearms and ammo? Would you rather buy three or four old rifles rather than one new RemChesterby? Just curious as to what level of interest(disinterest) my fellow THR members have in this area. My personal affliction seems to grow stronger on a daily basis!!
-jagdpanzer

If you enjoyed reading about "How bad is your case of milsurp "sickness"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hank327
March 12, 2006, 10:07 PM
I would rather have a mint, unissued condition Lee-Enfield SMLE No 1 Mk III* than ANY commercial sporting rifle currently available. :)

roo_ster
March 12, 2006, 10:21 PM
Hi, my name is jfruser, and I'm a cruffler.

Gator
March 12, 2006, 10:24 PM
Do you walk past tables full of shiney new rifles at a gun show with nary a second glance, searching for the next special "relic" to add to your collection?
YES!
Do you have stacks of books dedicated to the subject?
YES!...stacks, shelves, boxes......
Are you up to date on the current availability of firearms and ammo?
YES!
Would you rather buy three or four old rifles rather than one new RemChesterby?
YES! Sweet Jesus, YES!

But I'm in treatment now............:evil:

Cacique500
March 12, 2006, 10:26 PM
I'd answer this properly, but the doorbell just rang and it's UPS dropping off another new M39... :D

Langenator
March 12, 2006, 10:27 PM
C&R milsurps are about all I go to gunshows for.

DougW
March 12, 2006, 10:31 PM
uh................

Are my Enfields any indication?

Ad Astra
March 12, 2006, 10:31 PM
Horrible.

The M39 bug itself is gonna kill me. I dread Wednesday night now, when WGA mails out their oh-so-attractive-and-rare M39 list...

Have only a mild interest in new guns. If it doesn't shoot corrosive, it seems unattractive to me.

I even think I need a SVT-40, that's how bad it is... Have shot every Sunday for 4 weeks straight, a record for me these days.

Lining up a deal on an SKS paratrooper which I plan to un-Bubba...

You can't quite get the smell of olde Europe out.... and I've stocked up so much 8mm Mauser, I think I need another '98 to shoot it all... sick, sick, sick.

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/6926/60zu.th.jpg (http://img112.imageshack.us/my.php?image=60zu.jpg)

dm1333
March 12, 2006, 10:45 PM
I may own the worlds most expensive M38. For what I have in the gun I could have bought a Stevens 200 and ammo and a scope, too. I have zero need for a K31 but I'm not sure how much longer I can resist. Everybody at work knows that if you are in Santa Rosa or that area and drive by a gunstore you need to check to see if there are any Enfields there and then give me a call. The UPS man has added a few inches to his chest toting all the surplus ammo I buy.

I also pass up shiny new Harleys for the old Shovelhead sitting over a puddle of oil, and would rather have an old Dodge p/u than one of the shiny new ones.

dm1333
March 12, 2006, 10:47 PM
I'm jealous, I counted 16!

U.S.SFC_RET
March 12, 2006, 10:58 PM
Milsurp just seems to be my middle name. Ordnance is my first.

Mooseman
March 12, 2006, 11:20 PM
I'm awaiting my C&R. Hopefully my strong preference for hand guns will keep me from getting into too much trouble.:uhoh:

Live Free Or Die
March 13, 2006, 12:43 AM
I'm just now showing the first symptoms of this milsurp sickness. SKS's, K31's, Mosins...that's how it all started for me. Now I'm seriously considering getting my C&R, which I understand is the next step in the progression of this sickness.

MTMilitiaman
March 13, 2006, 01:09 AM
I shoot left-handed and little in life pisses me off more than being expected to cope with a right-handed bolt rifle. That is the only reason I have managed to escape this bug with my life. Otherwise, I'd have to own at least a 1903A3 and a Krag. Given my admiration for Russian rifles I'd probably own at least one example of the Mosin and probably then be easily coxed into an Enfield and a Mauser as well. Maybe several Mausers...would need a Swedish Mauser and an Argentine Mauser to go with the German Mauser. I would probably never be afflicted enough to buy half a dozen or more of each but would probably have a good example of each. Since I a absolutely refuse to pay money for a rifle with the bolt on the wrong side, this is a problem I seem to have averted. I can now direct money towards Simonovs, Kalashnikovs, finding a southpaw friendly semi-automatic battle rifle, and feeding all of them.

lawson
March 13, 2006, 01:10 AM
the guys at my local shop know me, i walk past the display cases and wall racks to the racks of old milsurps in the back. i carry a bore light with me a all times.

then i check out the table of surplus ammo, then i'll peruse the display cases.

clasiter
March 13, 2006, 01:13 AM
DougW uh................

Thats just wrong didn't your mother teach you to share.lol

hobbeeman
March 13, 2006, 01:18 AM
I have 2 SKS, a K31 and one FR8...But one of the SKS has 3 notches carved into the stock:uhoh: :D

I have a weakness for weapons that are cheap to buy and shoot. (I understand that once you get the reloadable ammo for the swiss, you reload a regular 308 bullet into the brass and you are good to go again!)

zerosignal
March 13, 2006, 01:20 AM
I've absolutely got the bug. 8 months ago I started out with nothing but a bolt action .22.

Since then I've acquired a K31, SKS, M48 Mauser, and I just picked up an M91/30 today from Big 5. Hell, I don't even have my C&R yet.

The only other guns I own are the .22, a Marlin .22mag, and a Bersa Thunder 380. New guns suck for the most part.

Dave Markowitz
March 13, 2006, 09:15 AM
I not only have a good number of Mosins, Mauser, and Lee-Enfields, my affliction is now spreading. Along with a friend I went to the Valley forge gun show yesterday and induced him to pick up a nice hex receivered 1929 dated Tula M91/30 with a laminated stock.

Bwahahahaha!!!!

Sistema1927
March 13, 2006, 09:55 AM
DougW:

You have more Enfields than the entire home guard of some English counties in 1939!

kentucky_smith
March 13, 2006, 10:20 AM
hmm, started picking up WWII era guns. Got lucky with a 1941 CMP Field Grade, a 1941 Steyr K98, A 1941 Swiss K31, and have a Savage Enfield en route, don't know the year on that one, but it will be WWII. Now If I can get a WWII or earlier M91/30 I'll be set.

alamo
March 13, 2006, 10:47 AM
Do you walk past tables full of shiny new rifles at a gun show with nary a second glance, searching for the next special "relic" to add to your collection?
YES!

This is really true. I rarely look at new guns anymore. I just look for the oldies.

Lonestar.45
March 13, 2006, 12:11 PM
I never go to the gun show without my bore light in my pocket.

I check the AIM website at least once a day to see if they have any new arrivals.

I pick up a box of 7.62x39 or .54r in every shop I go to just out of principle.

I like to open my gun closet/safe sometimes just to smell the cosmoline and leather.

As justification, I've now started buying up a few items "for my son" who is 3, and another that is on the way, because dirt cheap SKS's and Mosins won't be around when they're all grown up.

I have now filled my safe and I need another, but can't buy one on account of the wife, so I've taken to putting on trigger locks and stashing them in other places.

Does this qualify me?

alamo
March 13, 2006, 12:25 PM
As justification, I've now started buying up a few items "for my son" who is 3, and another that is on the way, because dirt cheap SKS's and Mosins won't be around when they're all grown up.

This is an excellent excuse to buy more pistols/rifles, I've used it myself a few times and will again I'm sure.

ArmedBear
March 13, 2006, 12:41 PM
I've only bought 4 rifles and 2 pistols so far, but I'm just getting started...

And it looks like Steyr Carbines are on their way over... An odd caliber, but I've got to have one anyway.

ball3006
March 13, 2006, 02:05 PM
milsurpits...............the only thing I go to gun shows for. The BBT guy hates me because of all the ammo I buy when it is on sale. Surplus ammo isn't going to last forever..........chris3

DougW
March 13, 2006, 04:55 PM
It's true. I have the dreaded social affliction known as Enfielditis. There is no known cure. Typically, I must handle an Enfield daily, or convulsions will start.:banghead:

I got the C&R about 6 years ago, and have bought a lot of stuff, to say the least. I have been trying to catch a good friend that has been collecting for about 16 years, and he has 19 Enfields. I thought I would make headway against him, as the first pic below was the order that came in about 6 weeks ago.

I ended up transfering 3 to him, since in the pic there are 4 Maltby's, one BSA, and one Fazakerly. I kept 2 Maltby's and the Fazakerly (it is the light colored one), and let him have the other 2 Maltby's and the BSA. The second pic is my Faz and one of the Maltbys. These came from Century on thier Shot Show specials, 3 fer $225.00. I promised myself that I would never pass up one of these deals again, but Enfielditis may have made me go a bit overboard!:D :what: :eek: :scrutiny: :D

We have joked that we are certain that we could outfit a rifle platoon with one of the finest front line battle rifles ever made. Kinda scary, don't you think?:evil: :evil:

BradN
March 13, 2006, 05:47 PM
Not too bad . . . only 6 M1 garands, 1 M1 Carbine, 1 03A3, 2 1903's, and 1 1917.

Cosmoline
March 13, 2006, 05:59 PM
I love 'em and leave 'em. I've owned more than I can easily count, but I don't stockpile them. I'm a free thinking libertine and share the love :D

kentucky_smith
March 13, 2006, 06:56 PM
2 K98s
1 95 Chileno
1 M1 Garand
1 K31
1 Enfield #4 mk1 Savage
1 Bulgy mak

need to get a Mosin, Arisaka, Carcano, MAS, M1 Carbine

mrmeval
March 13, 2006, 08:44 PM
I just sent off for my C&R license

Cpl Punishment
March 13, 2006, 08:45 PM
Umm, it might mean something, I'm not sure. But, umm, is the fact that my favorite gun pusher just leaves the milsurps in their shipping crates because he knows I'll come over and clean them for free, for the privelege of getting to handpick the ones I want an indication?

Or maybe the fact that no one looks at me weird anymore when I run to the milsurp rack at the other shop I haunt and sniff the surplus rifles?

Or the fact that I carry a bore light, headspace gauges (Enfield and Mosin) and jeweler's leup in my truck just in case I drop by the gun shop?

Or, the guys knowing that I like to collect 6-groove Enfields and Mosin 91/30s keep them in back, knowing I'll be in and will probably buy them?

Or that I must have all the little bits of militaria to go with EACH rifle (period correct, of course).

Or that I have more ammo per rifle than the typical platoon of their era would have?

And more rifles for that matter?

I don't know, I guess mine isn't that bad. . .:cool:

MTMilitiaman
March 13, 2006, 08:58 PM
I have to say though, I just handled an M1 Carbine. Those things are really light and handy. I could see how one would be really fun--like a 10/22 with more bang. That is essentially how it felt to me. I might have to pick one of those up. How much are they running now days? These guys wanted $500 for one. The wood was good and although the metal showed some signs of wear, it was in decent shape as well, but somehow $500 struck me as a little steep. Maybe I am being unreasonable.

Hikingman
March 13, 2006, 10:50 PM
Seems like the M-1 carbines often start about 500 for the very average ones.
Might be worth a closer look at the brand, bore and more on that one!

Jackal
March 13, 2006, 11:02 PM
I love my mil-surp weapons so much, i purchased a 10 gallon mineral spirits part/tool washer for automatic cosmo cleaning. Nothing quite like placing stripped gun parts in the washer, going to work, coming home to clean gun.:)

cracked butt
March 13, 2006, 11:10 PM
I haven't bought a single milsurp in about 6 months, but the last one cost me well over $1000. I'm more in a phase of looking for more rarer items, the cheap Yugo, Turk, and Russian rifles don't do it for me anymore. I do love to shoot them, but I don't have any great desire to accumulate any more of them.

Right now I'm looking to buy or assemble an AK or AR-15 or both, so I probably won't buy any more milsurps this year either unless something out of the ordinary comes along.

Fire4Effect
March 14, 2006, 02:18 AM
Mine started with one SKS... then two. Next came a Mosin 91/30, then a
M-38, then a M-44... Now much to the future dismay of my bank account I am waiting on the C&R license.... :evil:

jagdpanzer347
March 14, 2006, 07:46 AM
Although there is no cure, I think picking up a Hakim may temporarily relieve some of my symptoms!
-jagdpanzer

XD9USER
March 14, 2006, 08:14 PM
I have a real bad case of M1 Garanditis. 5 of the darn things since the first of the year. Now I can hear the distant naked danes calling to me from Port Clinton....buy me...buy me now.....Buy me.....

This sickness is like the sickness amateur photogs get when they use the first Canon "L" lens....Once you get one piece of "L" glass you MUST get more!!!!!

RWW

KrankyKraut
March 14, 2006, 08:37 PM
My attack of surplusrifleitis is almost over. I have built up almost total immunity now. I mean, having been exposed to 2 Mausers, 3 Mosin-Nagants, 1 SKS and 1 K-31, plus a Makarov, I mean, what else can harm me, right? Except for that M-39, maybe, or an Enfield, or the Steyr, or.........

Ad Astra
March 14, 2006, 09:51 PM
Don't forget the C&R milsurp pistols... You're not done yet!

Must have a CZ52, Manurhin PP and *possibly* a clean, cheap Nagant revolver- Just read in SN that Wolf is gonna be making that wierd .32-ish round it shoots. :evil:

M.E.Eldridge
March 14, 2006, 11:48 PM
I'm lucky and I don't have it too bad. I have a couple of Mosins(91/30, M44) a Turkish Mauser, a Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk.2 and an 1895 Nagant revolver.I also have an Yugo SKS. I would like to get, soon hopefully, a K-31, 1903 Springfield and a Krag. To round out the collection, maybe a K98 or a Garand.

Pork Fat
March 15, 2006, 11:51 PM
To all the posts about ignoring the commercial stuff at gun shows, Amen!
There is, however, a dark presence lurking at some shows here in Maryland. A
monster that calls itself a man.
He has racks up on his table.(Self respecting milsurp lays right on the table, maybe in disreputable cardboard boxes or sinfully decadent overwrap.)
The racks are full of RECENTLY sporterized rifles- Enfields, Mausers including the jewel-like Swedes, and other horrors. His "signature touches" include a glossy candy shell of a finish over reshaped or aftermarket stocks, case heads of the applicable caliber inlet on the top of the wrist, and a pride in his efforts evidenced by high prices.
It is like a bad car wreck- I wince, but I have to look, to see if any character was inadvertently left in any of these abused victims by this Philistine. I own a 1950's type sporterized 1917 Enfield (Remington) with ground off ears and all, but the Williams rear peep and Lyman front gold bead go with the satin Monte Carlo-black end cap-whiteline spacer stock in a somehow
proper way. Older sporterizations don't bother me nearly as much, somehow.

mrmeval
March 16, 2006, 04:15 AM
I don't think I'll be finishing any milsurps in lime green duracoat but I'm trying to convince a British citizen that gun control sucks.

They are 15 and I've invited them to come shoot stuff. Doubt it'll happen but it's a thought. They like lime green duracoat.

Mark Whiteman
March 16, 2006, 05:07 AM
This is a bug? Its all I ever really went for, other than a short transgression with a .300WM...03A3, Garand, 99 Arisaka, m48 Yugo Mauser, M1A, M1 carbine, SP1 AR-15, a couple Rugers, and a cartridge in a bare tree...:D

USMCRotrHed
March 16, 2006, 05:21 AM
at the 600 yard line in a match with a Garand not shooting near as good as those ARs and slick F-class rifles. Last week at a match there were 21 on us, I had 1 of 2 Garands, we had the lowest scores but the most fun!

Sad part is that I have an AR, and it will shoot much better.

There's just something about those old Milsurps.

Silent-Snail
March 16, 2006, 06:52 AM
I buy nothing else. Although that has more to do with the general sameness of most comercial rifles i might buy, or just plain lack of appeal for the rest.

wild billz
March 16, 2006, 07:14 AM
My milsurp sickness is going away, or my tastes have gotten too expensive. I have a decent little collection, but have stopped buying them. I have a C&R and am going to let it lapse. For the inexpensive rifles you can buy online, you take a chance on the quality, and everyone has them, with the market being flooded with what is available, so resale wont happen this decade, plus most have that gawd awful import mark. If you want an inexpensive shooter no problems, but if you want a collectable those are not the way to go, you'll want to handpick one with no import mark if possible, and pay a lot too. I don't seem to shoot mine any more, and have 2 handpicked K-31, and an excellent Yugo M24 that I never shot. The others I have a least shot, with my favorites being my 91/59, that one got the most use, and I still haven't shot that in 2 years. So I have a safe full of rifles that I really like, but rarely shoot, and wont be buying any more unless they are more rare. That said the last gun show I went to had a great old mauser I was fondling that was inexpensive. I put it down, thought better of it, went back and it was gone, just my luck, the one real gem I found I missed out on!

kentucky_smith
March 16, 2006, 08:53 AM
I've bought all these WWII era rifles since Christmas.
They were all bought online, including the Enfield that came Monday from AIM. Look at the wood! I haven't even cleaned it yet!
http://www.crownvic.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11375&stc=1&d=1142456952
http://www.crownvic.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11376&stc=1&d=1142456952

http://www.crownvic.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11377&stc=1&d=1142456952

http://www.crownvic.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11378&stc=1&d=1142456952

Red Tornado
March 16, 2006, 10:29 AM
Hold it?!? You mean they're still making new rifles?

Is that what's on all those other racks I avoid at gun show/shops?
RT

alamo
March 16, 2006, 11:17 AM
I've bought all these WWII era rifles since Christmas.
They were all bought online, including the Enfield that came Monday from AIM. Look at the wood! I haven't even cleaned it yet!

You've got my same milsurp rifle collection except I've got a 1903A3 instead of a K31. Just got my Enfield last month. Why don't you get a 1903 from the CMP and I'll get a K31?

kentucky_smith
March 16, 2006, 11:20 AM
Hey, I'll trade. :D

Looked at an 03A3 the other day, went back and it was gone. :mad:

brickboy240
March 16, 2006, 05:48 PM
How bad do I have it?

Oh jeez...been collecting milsurps since 1989. Started with one nice Rock-Ola M-1 Carbine.

Now, I have several Mausers (Swedes, Germans, Czechs...you name it), Enfields, Nagants, SKSs, the M-1 Carbine, Swiss K-31, Austrain Steyr Mannlicher, Japanese Arisaka, CMP M-1 Garand, and an 03-A3 Springfield.

Then theres the pistols...a 1918 dated Luger with EG police markings, an Isralei Mossad issued Hi-Power, East German and Bulgarian Makarovs, British RAF marked Smith 38 revolver and an Argentine Colt with Buenes Aires Police markings.

I also have a closet full of ammo...cases I bought for cheap over the years. Everything from 1945 dated Vickers 303 machine gun belts to some Nazi marked Austrian ammo for the Steyr straight pull rifle. Theres slings, holsters, bayonets and other memorabilia in there too. Even a Nazi marked set of 1936 Carl Zeiss binoculars!

Yep, its a sickness...no doubt and my collection grows by the minute!

- Brickboy240

brentwal
March 17, 2006, 12:13 AM
Sounds like a bad case of Crufflers Cough.;)

Red Tornado
March 17, 2006, 09:27 AM
Brickboy,
Starting with a Rock-Ola Carbine, you were doomed from the get go. At least I theoretically have a chance, you're looooong gone.
RT

P.S. Can I got to the range with you?:)

Lonestar.45
March 17, 2006, 10:56 AM
Kentucky, nice guns.
Pretty eery picture though, I have the exact same rug, the exact same color wood floors, and the same pack 'n play baby pen in my living room!
I think the only difference between me and you is I have SKS's and Mosins and you have Mausers, Enfields and Garands. Nice guns!

kentucky_smith
March 17, 2006, 11:14 AM
Do you have a Broyhill command station like this? Good eye on the pack-n-play.

http://www.crownvic.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11031&stc=1

alamo
March 17, 2006, 01:26 PM
Kentucky Smith - I noticed your 98K has a cupped buttplate like mine. I assume it is an RC. Was your buttplate and stock disk silver? Or did you remove the bluing? Mine were blued (or whatever that crap the Ruskies put on them is). I soaked the buttplate in white vinegar to remove it.

kentucky_smith
March 17, 2006, 02:10 PM
Buttplate was not blued, but takedown disk, recoil lug and front handguard cover was. Paint just flaked off when I cleaned it.

It's an RC made at the Steyr factory in Austria. 1940.

SilentStalker
March 17, 2006, 02:48 PM
Ok this may seem like a dumb question but what is C&R? I am new to all of this and am pretty damn new to the whole gun thing. So, my question is what would be some good guns to look for at a gun show, that would be military surplus worth buying? What do you need to do to buy military surplus? Just pay with cash, no questions asked? How do you find this military surplus? Do a lot of gunshops carry military surplus or what? Finally, when you see these old/used military guns what do you need to look for before buying them? can anyone explain that in relatively good detail or provide me a link to someone that already has or something. Thanks.

Wow, I just checked AIM and you can get Yugoslavian SKS's for like $120. What is up with these? Are they just junk or something? That seems pretty dang cheap to me. Can someone please elaborate?

cracked butt
March 17, 2006, 08:33 PM
I fell off the C&R wagon tonight. I went to a dunham's with full intention of buying a WASR AKM when I saw that they had a wire wrap No1 enfield on the rack. Inspection showed the bore to be minty fresh and I couldn't leave the store without it:banghead:

FatalMove
March 17, 2006, 11:56 PM
If we are gonna mix brands. I would wanna mix Weatherby and Browning.
I want a Browning BAR chambered for .257 Weatherby magnum.

Just seems like a good mix in style and trajectory. Puts a 100 grain pill outa the muzzel at 3500 fps. With a 3in high above point of aim at 100 yards, your impact at 400 yards it only 6 inches below point of aim. And if you combine the round with the BAR you can do it Semi-Automaticly.:D But ya cant find one at the gun show:neener:

FataL][V][ove

cracked butt
March 18, 2006, 06:59 AM
New toy, before I attempted to decosmogunk it.

M.E.Eldridge
March 18, 2006, 10:00 AM
What is the wire wrapping on the rifle intended to do, anyway?

alamo
March 18, 2006, 11:00 AM
I believe that was to strengthen the stock for use as a grenade launcher.

DougW
March 18, 2006, 11:32 AM
alamo, you are correct sir! The wire wrap was to keep the wood from exploding when a rifle grenade was fired. The heel of the stock was placed on the ground and the rifle was held up side down to be fired. If a soldier tried to fire from the shoulder, the shoulder and the rifle would be about 10 feet behind the soldier after firing. Look at the heel of the stock just above the butt plate, and you will probably see the mortised repair that is always there from drill and grenade shooting.

cracked butt
March 18, 2006, 11:50 AM
Look at the heel of the stock just above the butt plate, and you will probably see the mortised repair that is always there from drill and grenade shooting.

Yep, there's one on mine just like you described.

Just finished cleaning it, barrel looks brand new, time to go shooting.

Edit: any idea what the metal tag is on the triggerguard, is it an arsenal tag?

kentucky_smith
March 18, 2006, 12:27 PM
Huh, I've got a question now. My M1 Garand has a hole about 1 1/2 inches above the buttplate on the bottom. Why?

cracked butt
March 18, 2006, 01:56 PM
A few mausers:

cracked butt
March 18, 2006, 01:58 PM
The machine that goes 'ping'

cracked butt
March 18, 2006, 01:59 PM
The ubiquitous SKS

cracked butt
March 18, 2006, 02:01 PM
The world's ugliest 03A3

alamo
March 18, 2006, 02:04 PM
Huh, I've got a question now. My M1 Garand has a hole about 1 1/2 inches above the buttplate on the bottom. Why?

You mean the hole for the cleaning kit? The little "door" that opens up in the center of the buttplate or one of the screw holes?

http://www.dougsstockpile.com/hardware_2.html

cracked butt
March 18, 2006, 02:05 PM

cracked butt
March 18, 2006, 02:06 PM
The 'crown jewel' of my collection
http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29044&d=1127151636

cracked butt
March 18, 2006, 02:09 PM
A pair of my K-31s

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/brimic/Picture003.jpg

A couple of noisy magnets thrown in for good measure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/brimic/Picture001.jpg

DougW
March 18, 2006, 05:51 PM
Cracked, the silver tag is from the old Springfield Sporters. The owner died a few years ago, and the family sold off all the rifles, but kept the parts. A family member has since restarted the company selling parts. Great source for bits and pieces.

Kentucky, the holes (there may be one further up the butt stock) were for a brass screw to help retain the cheek guard of an M1C or M1D sniper rifle. I have a M1D that has the same holes.

Cracked, you will find that the action is silky smooth, and that the head space on your Ishapore will be excellant. These are a great value. It would make you sick to know that I bought a very good Ishy #1 wire wrapped with the launcher cup for $75.00 from Springfield Sporters about 5 years ago. Last I saw, when you could find a cup, that they were selling in the $150 to $200 range! Guess I done good on that one.

Langenator
March 19, 2006, 12:38 PM
How many of you will admit to grabbing the Big 5 ad every Sunday to see which (if any) milsurp is on special?

This week: Mosin M38s! Whoopee!

shllyshny
March 19, 2006, 04:41 PM
I'm happy to know I'm not the only milsurpaholic out there. What started with just one little ol' 1945 K31 now has become a K31, a '45 #5 Mk 1 Enfield, and a 100% correct 5.8 mil SA M1.

I started three weeks ago.

I'm looking at a cherry dot 44 K98 now.

Would also like a Mosin Nagant and a Chicom SKS.

My wife has threatened divorce...

I'm going to miss her.

Gordon Fink
March 20, 2006, 12:53 PM
Wow, I just checked AIM and you can get Yugoslavian SKS’s for like $120. What is up with these? Are they just junk or something? That seems pretty dang cheap to me. Can someone please elaborate?

These weapons have been sold from the armories of various governments for a fraction of the real cost to the original taxpayers. However, this practice still offers a much better return on investment than does the use of crushers or smelters. The U.S. BATFE classifies such “obsolete” weapons as curios and relics and will license qualified Americans as collectors of the same.

~G. Fink

dasmi
March 20, 2006, 01:20 PM
How many of you will admit to grabbing the Big 5 ad every Sunday to see which (if any) milsurp is on special?

This week: Mosin M38s! Whoopee!
I admit it proudly.

alamo
March 20, 2006, 02:46 PM
One of the worst parts of milsurp collecting is the ever present fear of reading that this could be the "last batch" of whatever milsurp you have on your wish list. There's talk on the Gunboards 98K forum that not many more may be left to import. When AIM got some Enfield No.1 Mk.IIIs last year, they said these those could be the "last batch" to be imported. The CMP is running out of 1903s and the better Garands are next.

Some of these stories turn out to be false but who knows at the time? Some day all the stories will be true. Lots of pressure to buy now while they're available and affordable.

Cpl Punishment
March 20, 2006, 08:01 PM
Some of these stories turn out to be false but who knows at the time? Some day all the stories will be true. Lots of pressure to buy now while they're available and affordable.

One thing you can ALWAYS be sure of: if it's not the last batch, the next batch will cost more, if you find something you want, and have the $$, get it while you can. I've passed up many a good deal in my time, thinking there'd be more later, and often, there wasn't.

cracked butt
March 20, 2006, 08:15 PM
if it's not the last batch, the next batch will cost more, if you find something you want, and have the $$, get it while you can.

Or just the opposite: a few 'rare' items make their way into the Untied states and sell for a high premium price, then a few years later, entire boatloads of them come over here and sell for really cheap. Example: Swiss K-31s

alamo
March 20, 2006, 08:48 PM
Or just the opposite: a few 'rare' items make their way into the Untied states and sell for a high premium price, then a few years later, entire boatloads of them come over here and sell for really cheap. Example: Swiss K-31s

i've been eyeballing these and I guess I can't count on them lasting forever. At around $100+ at the wholesalers, they probably won't be any cheaper. This could be the last batch, or at least the last batch at these prices...

magsnubby
March 20, 2006, 10:51 PM
Just a mild cold:

M1 Garand
M48 Mauser
Sporterized M44 Mosin-Nagant (Advanced Technology stock, bayonet and lug removed)
Yugo SKS

But i'm working on a deal for:
M44 Mosin-Nagant
Carcano (converted to 8mm)
.303 Enfield
8MM Turkish Mauser

MJ
March 21, 2006, 01:13 AM
Hi my name is MJ and I'm a closet collector. I have been clean of any mil-surp buys for 18 hours now.:banghead:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/7df8c389.jpg

:D :D :D
*MJ*

cracked butt
March 21, 2006, 01:14 AM
Cracked, you will find that the action is silky smooth, and that the head space on your Ishapore will be excellant. These are a great value. It would make you sick to know that I bought a very good Ishy #1 wire wrapped with the launcher cup for $75.00 from Springfield Sporters about 5 years ago.

I paid twice that. A few years ago, I saw these for around $100, but I had no interest in them at the time, I looked at several in the past, and at least 1/2 of them had pitted bores. I probably overpaid for this one but it just felt 'right' in my hands, I had to have it. Usually I hem and haw about buying a rifle and 99% of the time I walk away, but this one was different. :cool:

68'chevelle
May 31, 2007, 10:30 AM
I might be getting a Enfield no4 MK1 soon I hope, but what I really want is a

M1903
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
M1 Thompson

bill larry
May 31, 2007, 11:14 AM
Ooohhhh...awesome thread! My milsurp sickness has really gotten out of hand. Since the beginning of the year i've purchased these boys here, plus convinced my dad to also buy a Yugo 24/47 Mauser and a K-31. Before this January, I had never really owned any of my own long guns.

NC-Mike
May 31, 2007, 12:47 PM
I'm to the point where I have to stop buying or it would constitute a serious violation of fiduciary responsibility. Therapy or counseling may be in order... :banghead:

Spiggy
May 31, 2007, 03:19 PM
*looks at wall*

To date, I dont have any guns that represent an era after 1950...
Even my .22 was manufactured in the 40's

Mannlicher
May 31, 2007, 03:34 PM
The only 'milsurp' I have any interest in is ammo. The old rifles have zero appeal to me.

MikeH
May 31, 2007, 03:41 PM
Some have gone, and some remain ...

http://taiwanmilitary.org/mikeh/albums/album01/DSC01759.jpg

http://taiwanmilitary.org/mikeh/albums/album03/DSC02003_copy.jpg

http://taiwanmilitary.org/mikeh/albums/album17/DSC02073_copy.jpg

http://taiwanmilitary.org/mikeh/albums/album19/m48_1.jpg

http://taiwanmilitary.org/mikeh/albums/album24/DSC02368.jpg

http://taiwanmilitary.org/mikeh/albums/album13/DSC01950_copy.jpg

http://taiwanmilitary.org/mikeh/albums/album16/DSC02053_copy.jpg

http://taiwanmilitary.org/mikeh/albums/album33/DSC02937.jpg

http://taiwanmilitary.org/mikeh/albums/album32/DSC03280_copy.jpg

Harry Paget Flashman
May 31, 2007, 03:50 PM
I'm in the terminal phase of milsurpitis having bought 3 SKS's, Hakim, K31 Swiss, M48BO Mauser, (2) 91/30, (3) T53, M39, 91/59, M38 Mosin Nagant's, (2) AK clones, 6.5X55 Krag, .30-40 Krag, Garand, 1891 Argentine, No.4 Mk1 Enfield, (5) CZ52's, CZ27, CZ50, CZ70, CZ82, (2)Walther PP's, Walther P1 & P38, (3) BHP's, (5) 1911's, S&W 1917, S&W Model 10 (HK Police), 1895 Nagant, (5) Mak's, (2) Chinese Mauser's and an M1A and M4 clone for good measure. Just wish I still had them all.

Geno
May 31, 2007, 03:55 PM
Not at all bad. Every Mil Surp that I have purchased, has met the criteria for point of rationality, which means to get the most (best) product for the least financial expenditure. Could we ever even hope to locate modern-production firearms with equal quality to Mil Surps, for the cost of a mil surp? Never!

DMK
May 31, 2007, 04:04 PM
I would rather have a mint, unissued condition Lee-Enfield SMLE No 1 Mk III* than ANY commercial sporting rifle currently available.I would rather have a well used, no finish, dog chewed stock, "been there, done that" condition Lee-Enfield SMLE No 1 Mk III* (or Mauser, or Mosin, or Springfield, or Garand, or SKS, etc) with a dark bore than ANY commercial sporting rifle currently available.

Flyboy73
May 31, 2007, 04:19 PM
Cracked nice M41

May have some money comeing and eyeing up one of the Samco Mauser made M41 snipers.

Brion

Geno
May 31, 2007, 04:27 PM
Case and point: A Mosin rifle, with its hammer forged carbon steel everything, hand-fit hardwood stock, sells for $69.00!? Of far greater value is the fact that the rifle was made at a point in history when Russia was an American ally. That means that these Mil Surps possess quality, cost-effectiveness, and have historic significance. These Mil Surps have everything that not even a modern-day, $3,000.00 custom-made Remington, Weatherby, or other could touch. These rifles are history! I still cannot bring myself to refinish the stock or steel on any of these historic wonders. They are perfect as is.

tinygnat219
May 31, 2007, 04:33 PM
My case is Terminal. My C&R guns will be with me until I keel over.

Gator
May 31, 2007, 04:53 PM
I think I'm in remission, I have sold about half my milsurps and am down to a couple dozen. :D

Bazooka Joe71
May 31, 2007, 05:20 PM
Jagd,

Do you really need to bring my weaknesses to my attention??:banghead:

CU74
May 31, 2007, 05:24 PM
If there is a problem here I sure don't see it. I'm only averaging two C&R guns per month. How can that be a "sickness"?

boerseun
May 31, 2007, 06:18 PM
My deer rifle is a 1945 Mosin Nagant M44 - with Bayonet still attached and original sights. Does that mean anything? Oh yeah, I have empty "spam cans" littering my garage and I'm on first name terms with some of the folks at AIM Surplus :)

Roadkill
May 31, 2007, 06:52 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/393709.JPG

Enjoy - I have close ups of most of it if ya'll interetsed.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/479725.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/479712.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/479722.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/338323.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/img/479710.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/338337.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/img/393704.JPG

lionking
May 31, 2007, 06:57 PM
Do you walk past tables full of shiney new rifles at a gun show with nary a second glance, searching for the next special "relic" to add to your collection?
YES!
One Canfield book,the rest from the internet....
pretty much
YES!

anybody that has seen of my starter threads knows I dig milsurps...just sent out for my c&r license and finally am joining the CMP.

I do like new model guns also,I like all guns.:evil:

fal 4 me
May 31, 2007, 08:06 PM
I'm currently on my second attack. The first hit when I was young with an M-1 Garand for my first centerfire rifle. High School and college put it in remission, and sold the M-1:banghead::banghead::banghead: The second attack started a few years back, and I can feel it getting worse. While it's only been rifles so far, the "sickness" is growing stronger and I think I'm about to purchase my first surplus handgun. I'm looking at the CZ-82, or maybe CZ-52 plus and after market 9mm barrel.

ohioarmedneutrality
May 31, 2007, 08:10 PM
You guys are having a very bad effect on me. Just when I thought I had enough for the time being, now you got me all fired up again. I hear an SKS somewhere whispering my name. GRRRRRRRRR! :cuss:

cracked butt
May 31, 2007, 10:18 PM
I'm looking at the CZ-82, or maybe CZ-52 plus and after market 9mm barrel.
I've been wanting a cz-52 for a long time, but I never got around to ordering one, the 9mm barrels might be the tipping point for me.

cracked butt
May 31, 2007, 10:25 PM
Here's my latest milsurp 'fix' that I got from AIM 2 weeks ago. I don't have ammo for it and haven't cleaned it yet, I'm getting to be pathetic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/brimic/DSC00077.jpg

alamo
May 31, 2007, 11:14 PM
Wow. Roadkill has an amazing collection. Very impressive.

cracked butt
May 31, 2007, 11:23 PM
Wow. Roadkill has an amazing collection. Very impressive.
He's terminal and beyond help- Helmets, canteens, cots. Pretty awesome.:D

SURVIVAL
June 14, 2007, 07:56 AM
I Cant Get Enough Of Those Turkish Mausers. It Seems Every Time I See One I Cant Resist The Temptation To Buy It.

BsChoy
June 14, 2007, 10:24 AM
In the past year and a half I have purchased in order a K98, M1 Garand, M91/30, and Swede M-38. I think I have the bug but, because almost every Jap Type 38 or 99 I have seen looks like it took a one way trip down the face of Suribachi and the Enfields don't do much for me asthetically, so I don't want any of those weapons. I could really love a 1903A3 however if someone wants to donate to my disease...uh I mean collection!

azhunter12
June 14, 2007, 06:37 PM
I thought that my addiction was getting bad but now it looks pretty good.

jrfoxx
June 14, 2007, 08:48 PM
Yes
Yes
Yes
Most definitely YES, yes, yes!
Milsurps just have so much history,character,style and soul.Modern production guns are just blah to me.(this really only applies to rifles for me though, modern handguns are different for some reason. I lie modern ones nd milsurps equally).Only reason I have any rifles that aren't milsurp is because they were given to me by my father, and I use them for hunting because ammo selection is better, they are more consistant in accuracy, and generaly a LOT lighter.That said, if they hadnt been given to me, I wouldn't have bought them even for hunting, I would have just used one of my milsurps instead.The only exception is my Wasr-10, .22's and .22 magnum.Those I like for really cheap plinking and some small game hunting, and there's just something aout the litle .22's tat are fun and relaxing to shoot.Probly the lack of recoil, and no very loud.They also sort of make me feel like a kid againwhen I'm shootng them.

My Milsurps
Savage Enfied no. 4 Mk I
M1 Garand
Turk Mauser 1893
Chinese type 53
Norinco sks-m
Russian sks
cz-52
Nagant 1895 revolver
Swiss K-31
Russian M44

other C&R's
Iver Johnson 2nd model
Galesi .25acp mousegun
Astra 600

oneshooter
June 14, 2007, 09:37 PM
Bad enough that I just bought a Turkish Mauser, and don't even know why! Oh LOOK, Theres a Turckish Mauser CARBINE for sale!! I wonder if Loving Wife will notice?:rolleyes:

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

Speaking of Turks, what bayonet do they use?

dstorm1911
June 15, 2007, 12:26 AM
Well after 34 years...... just hit 2300 in the rifle vaults, and heres where I spend my days at

dstorm1911
June 15, 2007, 12:27 AM
More

dstorm1911
June 15, 2007, 12:29 AM
and still more

dstorm1911
June 15, 2007, 12:31 AM
still more

dstorm1911
June 15, 2007, 12:38 AM
want a few more? this is a lil bit........... very little bit, uh would ya consider 125,000 milsurps a sickness? My private collection is around 4,000 if ya total long guns, handguns, subguns and squad level machine guns both NFA and semi conversions, I don't see it as a sickness I see it as accumulation :D

alamo
June 15, 2007, 09:38 AM
very little bit, uh would ya consider 125,000 milsurps a sickness? My private collection is around 4,000 if ya total long guns, handguns, subguns and squad level machine guns both NFA and semi conversions

I'm speechless...:eek:

hexidismal
June 16, 2007, 12:21 AM
I was going to post .. but after seeing dstorm1911's posts .. I just can't anymore, I just can't.

Babarsac
June 16, 2007, 12:49 AM
After all those pictures...I had to change my underwear.

alamo
June 16, 2007, 06:12 AM
No wonder so many milsurp rifles are drying up, dstorm1911 has them all.

Baba Louie
June 16, 2007, 08:11 AM
dstorm,

I am soooo not worthy.

You Sir, are a C&R collector's heavenly vision.

Are you open for private viewing and how much Do you charge for admission? :D

Seriously, how much history do you think is represented in your meager (HAH!) little collection?

If you have no sons or daughters, neices or nephews, would you adopt moi? I'd promise to love and take care of and love and shoot and love... sigh

yokel
June 16, 2007, 11:28 AM
Lordy-me, dstorm!:what:

I'm satiated with my modest collection:

M1 rifle and carbine
Type 53 carbine
K98k

dstorm1911
June 16, 2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks, actually I am going to be setting up a museum in the next 5 years, we just completed the underground vaults 8 months ago (12' down 4 rooms are 14'x65' and a 5th ammo locker which is 12'x40 all with the bank vault doors that came outa the Sands hotel when it was demoed..... as of last month I now have at least one (usually multiples) of every small arms rifle, handgun, subgun ever officially issued to any legitimate army since our Civil war there are 47 left to aquire for the collection to be complete and for the last 4 months I've been focusing on squad level machine guns as well as filling in some holes pertaining to particular variations of some weapons patterns etc...

We are hopeing to have the display racks built by the end of the year so that an online virtual museum can be put up but right now large sections of the collection are still living in crates to keep em protected untill proper racks are finished its a slow process at best........

M110
June 16, 2007, 02:37 PM
"Dstorm1911 the thread killer"

I just don't have the heart to evan bring up my pitifully small millsurp collection...

:o :p :D

dstorm1911
June 16, 2007, 02:49 PM
M110, actually I'm givin ya'll a safty net for use when your wife/Girlfriend starts tellin ya how ya have too many Milsurps........ Ya just tell em ya still got a ways to go before it will be too many........ check out this guy in Arizona... see dear I'm still o.k we're under a thousand yet :evil:

Ya got too much ammo? naw not even close ya only got what maybe 30-40 thousand rnds? Try 2.5 million rnds then ya'll be approaching excessive.....

See I got ya'll covered plus most of my friends in this county have similar collections so its clearly not isolated ya just gotta word it right when talkin to your significant other..... ya know be creative tell her... "but dear... we still don't have a piglet or APC213 parked in the driveaway so how in the world can ya claim my NEEDING another gun safe is excessive?"

My wife is still tryin to figure out how we can write em off on the taxes, problem is its been a 34 year long project.......

ya'll have fun, my weekends are dedicated to cuttin3/4" plywood for racks and I needa get busy

kennedy
June 16, 2007, 09:59 PM
wow what a collection, makes my 6 rasheeds look small, my only weakness.

telomerase
June 16, 2007, 10:18 PM
as of last month I now have at least one (usually multiples) of every small arms rifle, handgun, subgun ever officially issued to any legitimate army since our Civil war there are 47 left to acquire for the collection to be complete and for the last 4 months I've been focusing on squad level machine guns

Somewhere in the Congo, a cruffler bounty hunter is ambushing a hapless patrol that all unknowingly is dragging around a rare machine gun variant.

But I thought President Reagan made it illegal to import any new full autos???

jagdpanzer347
June 16, 2007, 10:20 PM
Hhhhmmmm, I seem to remember this thread. Dstorm, awesome comes up WAY short of describing your collection. Truly beyond impressive.

I personaly have taken a bit of a hiatus from buying milsurps. Mostly because I've been concentrating on buying EBRs and other "evil" goodies. The lack of anything new on the market as of late has contributed as well.

I did recently complete all of the requirements to buy a M1 carbine from the CMP, but of course, I was a little late and now have to wait. I do have some USGI mags in stock for my future acquisition, though.

-jagd

Antipasta
June 17, 2007, 09:29 AM
A month ago I saw a SKS at the range and had to have one. Got it. Yeterday I was at the Valley Forge Gun Show when this beautiful M38 called out to me. Got it. I feel the fever starting, but must now concentrate on accumulating ammo.

jagdpanzer347
June 25, 2007, 01:22 PM
I have been bitten by the C&R bug again! A recent trip to AIM netted an excellent M44 Mosin in a laminated stock, an excellent Yugo M48 Mauser, and a near excellent Yugo M24/47. There is no cure. Rejoice in your sickness, all. Rejoice! And pray for more 7.62x54r and 8mm surplus ammo to come in.

-jagd

Cannonball888
June 25, 2007, 03:40 PM
I secretly sniff OD canvas.

Nameless_Hobo
June 25, 2007, 06:13 PM
Pretty bad, I suppose. Modern guns are no fun, I probably won't buy but about three modern long guns in the rest of my life.

Harry Paget Flashman
June 25, 2007, 08:59 PM
Just ordered two M44 Nagants and a Mauser 24/47 from Classic Arms to add to the stack.

jrfoxx
June 25, 2007, 09:30 PM
I think my sickness is getting worse...I ordered 2 more milsurps Friday, had to buid another gun rack to hold them, and I'm twiching, irritable, and shaking waiting for them to arrive....I NEED MY FIX!!!!!!! Just one more man, just a little taste....just a couple surplus rounds to ge me through.....:D

My K98 and M71/84 REALLY do need to hurry up though.

jaholder1971
June 25, 2007, 10:03 PM
M44
M91/30
M1 carbine IBM
2 Yugo 24/47
Turk M38 (basketcase)
#4 Mk1 Enfield
Yugo SKS

On order: M39, another Enfield and a M91/59

Gator Monroe
June 26, 2007, 01:51 PM
1945 Homelite Small 2 cycle Generator (Army Air Corps for in flight extra power source for Radio's & gun turrets & such on B24,B17,B25) IN SMITHSONIAN condition with brand new ORIGINAL issue Spares in bulit in parts box ! 1944 Army Johnson storm Boat Motor ( Known as "the motor that crossed the Rhine? ) Complete and Original in very good working condition with original brass prop ! ...

Mark Whiteman
July 2, 2007, 12:37 AM
I love the smell of a surplus store in the morning....it smells like...mildewcide!

Gator, you lucky dawg you...dstorm1911, you definitely need to open either a museum or a store! Better yet, both ! Wait until the imports dry up and open a store to sell the duplicates. It'd pay a lot of your investment back, and spread stupid grins across the land....

Texas Colt
July 5, 2007, 04:21 PM
I've got the milsurp sickness as well, although I'm in the very earlier stages...

I bought my first Mosin Nagant last month, a model 91/59. I've only fired it twice but it was enough to start the disease. Today I bought a Mosin Nagant M38 to go with it. Who knows where it will go from here.... M44, 91/30, cases of ammo, accessories....

leadcounsel
July 5, 2007, 04:52 PM
Oh, the stories these worn C&R rifles and pistols could tell...

It'll be a sad day when the surplus C&R guns basically run out. What guns will replace them that meet the criteria?

Don357
July 5, 2007, 11:35 PM
I have a CIA Cetme, Working a deal on a M-1 Carbine and eyeing a Mosin. A South African TZ99 hand gun adds to the mix

rob4570
July 6, 2007, 12:18 AM
hasd all but lost interest in my firearms, when I bought my sks . then my first m44, then 1500 rnds of ammo, now I am shooting every chance I get

If you enjoyed reading about "How bad is your case of milsurp "sickness"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!