interesting NY Times photo...

PDA

Mike Irwin
April 17, 2003, 02:50 PM
interesting perspective.

Hope it links...

http://graphics.nytimes.com/packages/images/photo/20030415_POT/pho_POT_20030415_5.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "interesting NY Times photo..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jsalcedo
April 17, 2003, 02:57 PM
Maybe this picture will finally knock down the myth that when a gun is fired the bullet and cartridge case travel downrange intact.

Kharn
April 17, 2003, 03:14 PM
I wonder what happened to that one round is on the right hand side that's sort of in the circle of brass all by itself, with the little rod looking thing sticking out of the bullet.

Kharn

AJ Dual
April 17, 2003, 03:15 PM
It's an empty case like the others, just the neck has been flattened/crushed flat by being stepped on or run over. Or perhaps the bolt or ejecting mechanisim crushed it on ejection or something.

You're seeing the flattened portion on edge. If you look at the extreme left edge of the pic, the second chunk of brass from the bottom is also appreciably flattened.

It caught my eye too for a moment. Untill I realized what it was, it looked like a little mini-APFSDS tank round or something...:scrutiny:

Zak Smith
April 17, 2003, 03:21 PM
Kharn,

I think someone just stepped on it, and the "little rod" is the crushed case neck.

-z

Quantrill
April 17, 2003, 03:54 PM
There is a empty round on the left also that looks like the same thing. Quantrill

QuarterBoreGunner
April 17, 2003, 03:57 PM
Now that is just a darn cool picture.

KMKeller
April 17, 2003, 04:00 PM
Pssssst... I know where to get tons of used brass... real cheap...

Chipperman
April 17, 2003, 05:07 PM
Some of those are definitely not reloadable.:neener:

Standing Wolf
April 17, 2003, 06:07 PM
Definitely an interesting photograph.

QuarterBoreGunner
April 17, 2003, 06:20 PM
I particularly like how the vehicles are fading off into the background; gives it a kind of “They came, they saw, they left hot brass.” feel to it.

280PLUS
April 17, 2003, 06:39 PM
i wonder how much georgia arms will pay for that used brass....

:D

QuarterBoreGunner
April 17, 2003, 06:55 PM
i wonder how much georgia arms will pay for that used brass....

'Once fired mil-spec brass... may need full length resizing'

cool45auto
April 17, 2003, 06:57 PM
:cool: I like it!

Backwoods
April 17, 2003, 09:15 PM
I'm surprized no one has commented on the apparent fact that these are .50 BMG cases and links. At least I'm not aware of any other weapon in our inventory that uses the old style, located at the neck/shoulder area, disintegrating links. Am I wrong here? Don't all our other belt fed MGs currently use the M60 style link that locates itself with a tab that fits into the extraction groove? Any naysayers out there?

Don in Ohio

blades67
April 17, 2003, 10:25 PM
It is .50 BMG brass and links, you can see the M2 mounted on the HMMV.:cool:

suvdrvr
April 17, 2003, 11:15 PM
The question is , why would the NY times print this picture
. They must have an agenda. Perhaps to show what litter bugs our GIs are. Or the liberal reader is to contemplate the mass of dead bodies that were caused by this use of firepower on a poor defensless third world country.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
April 17, 2003, 11:52 PM
yeah, and all that toxic lead put into the environment to hurt all those poor kids...

maybe they'll declare it an EPA Superfund site and remove the first couple of feet of topsoil for remediation...

</satire off>

Regards,
Rabbit.

jmbg29
April 18, 2003, 12:35 AM
They should do some "ballistic fingerprint" tests. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:cool: pic

10-Ring
April 18, 2003, 12:41 AM
You're right, very interesting perspective! I'd be interested in seeing a slightly wider shot to see how much brass really does litter tht stretch of street.

DamnedDirtyApe
April 18, 2003, 08:22 AM
Maybe that's the last thing the idiot NY Times photog saw as he was being run over by an Abrams.

Hoooah!

F=ma
April 18, 2003, 09:58 AM
Since cartridges = death in liberalspeak, they must find the juxtaposition of the death on the ground at the marching feet of the liberating forces (or, maybe, crusaders?) ironic.

I can see an oversized-square-framed glasses, sleeves 8" too long, frumpy-haired young NY woman explaining it all in galleries for years to come.

jmbg29
April 18, 2003, 12:00 PM
Maybe that's the last thing the idiot NY Times photog saw as he was being run over by an Abrams. HOOOAH!...Um I mean GO NAVY!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: LMAO

clem
April 19, 2003, 12:15 AM
The picture shows the "light of freedom" washing out the residue of darkness.

Wait! I spilled my drink! Woman! More ice & JD!

4 eyed six shooter
April 19, 2003, 02:24 AM
Too bad they didn't show where the bullets from all those cartridges ended up. Great picture.

Selfdfenz
April 19, 2003, 10:50 AM
It brings to things to mind.

As a reloader and brass rat it bring a tear to my eye.

Having been a kid, it brings to mind that a kid could pay for his college education by running up the highway where the Americans have passed picking up and recycling all that brass and the other stuff we dropped on the way. There is a small fortune sitting on the side or the road between the starting point and B'dad. And noone would give a hoot you were doing it.

S-

4v50 Gary
April 19, 2003, 11:15 AM
In 30 years time, when the Iraqis and we are the closest of buddies and allies, they'll sue us for haz-mat clean-up. Great photo and the photographer has a great eye.

pwolfman
April 20, 2003, 03:47 PM
I'm surprized no one has commented on the apparent fact that these are .50 BMG cases and links. At least I'm not aware of any other weapon in our inventory that uses the old style, located at the neck/shoulder area, disintegrating links. Am I wrong here? Don't all our other belt fed MGs currently use the M60 style link that locates itself with a tab that fits into the extraction groove? Any naysayers out there?

I think these are M240B or M249 SAW links...I don't believe the 50 cal links totally encircle the round like the ones in the picture...Although it has been a while since I have seen the 50 ammo...going to see some this week though...:D

Teufelhunden
April 21, 2003, 02:26 AM
Best caption for this picture:

Veni Vidi Vici

-Teuf

If you enjoyed reading about "interesting NY Times photo..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!