Dang I just missed!

PDA

Brother in Arms
March 13, 2006, 11:09 AM
Dang I just missed!
In a break between reading posts. I picked up my M1 and strolled over to the front door and look out into the field in front of my house. Recently I have seen a few foxes out there and so casually I looked out to see if there where any in sight. I said to myself, I wish one of those foxes would come out and to my astonishment one did just that!

I went to the cabinet and got out one round and loaded it into the m1. I opened the kitchen door a crack using the door frame as a rest, the fox was standing about 100 yards away which is what I have the rifle sighted for. I took aim at the middle of its body and squeezed the trigger. I watched the fox for effect and I saw it jump 3 feet straight up into the air! I thought I hit it initially but upon conact with the ground it took off faster than anything I have ever seen.

I guess I need more practice.

Brother in Arms

If you enjoyed reading about "Dang I just missed!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stevelyn
March 13, 2006, 11:24 AM
You might want to go out and check. A heart-shot fox will jump and run full out until brain fade piles him up a few yards away.

Lennyjoe
March 13, 2006, 11:36 AM
Ughh, I long for the day when I could do that on my own property. :(

If I did that where I live now the ghetto chopper would be over the house in a heart beat and 5 cops would be kicking down the door.

Retirement is coming soon and I'll be looking for property out in the country.;)

Brother in Arms
March 13, 2006, 11:46 AM
I did go down and look for hair or blood and found none, but on reading steves post I went and checked again more thoroughly this time, still no blood or hair or dead fox but I did find a CELL PHONE!!!!!!!! Whiskey Tango Foxtrott?? I live in a rural area and no one in my family has a cell phone. Its a nokia track phone. It looks like its been out in the feild for a while as it has moisture inside the dislplay. I can't account for who would be in the middle of my field and lost there cell phone? Makes me wonder if people are snooping around or something.

Today keeps getting wierder and wierder.

Brother in Arms

GunnySkox
March 13, 2006, 11:48 AM
Obviously, you scared the chatty fox so much he dropped his phone.

~GnSx
:D

rero360
March 13, 2006, 12:39 PM
it wasn't really a fox man, it was a man in black dressed up like a fox to spy on you, and when you shot at him he dropped his phone in supprise. :neener:

very strange. sounds like your garand has a MOM (minute of man) not a MOF (minute of fox) try bedding the action.

MechAg94
March 13, 2006, 01:33 PM
It doesn't more than a couple days to get that moisture in the display, but you know better than me since you saw it.

Brother in Arms
March 13, 2006, 02:18 PM
some water dripped out of it, I assume its dead but who knows. Oddly enough it has a bunch of tooth marks on it that look like someones dog chewed on it. ( am sure its not connected with the fox, just a coincidence :) )

Brother in Arms

ball3006
March 13, 2006, 03:16 PM
I hear that term from time to time, but I have never experienced it myself..............what does it feel like? chris3

Brother in Arms
March 13, 2006, 11:59 PM
Keep shooting Ball3006 and you will.

Found out the cell phone belonged to a guy who helped with the haying last year.

Brother in Arms

starplayer
March 14, 2006, 12:03 AM
i got me a squirrel the other day with my 10/22.. didn't miss but ran a bit and i couldn't find it

mrmeval
March 14, 2006, 12:55 AM
THE numbers inside the phone would allow law enforcement to track down the owner eventually. Either the phone belongs to a tresspasser or to a victim. Turning it over to the local sheriff would be a good idea. If they ever have need to track down someone that has been in the area that might be the start they need.

Also check your property for pot.

stevelyn
March 14, 2006, 06:04 AM
Don't feel bad about the miss. I embarrassed myself last week when I tried to whack a couple winged ocean rats for a good cause.

HadEmAll
March 16, 2006, 12:00 AM
I made a perfect shot on a big bull racoon with a .22 CB cap the other night. But admittedly it was from about 6 inches (in a Have-A-Heart trap). Now before being judged cold-hearted, I had caught him a week ago, and turned him loose. I was going for skunks. I thought racoons were smarter than to get caught in the same trap twice. Guess he was developing a fondness for apples. Now that I knew he was going to hang around, I couldn't tolerate it. I've got to catch the skunks before they have their babies under my deck.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dang I just missed!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!