Need an advice on lever-action rifle.

PDA

miko
March 13, 2006, 06:58 PM
I want a lever-action rifle in 357 Magnum/38 Special

The Marlins in 357 come with a straight grip that is very uncomfortable for me.
The Marlins that come with a "pistol crip" feel perfect but do not come in 357

I want a pistol-grip 357, preferably with 9-10 rounds capacity. Anything out there? Any way to modify?

Marlin said they could modify one for me for about $250 while the supplies of parts last but is there some way that is less expensive? Not necessarily a Marlin.

miko

If you enjoyed reading about "Need an advice on lever-action rifle." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
March 13, 2006, 07:16 PM
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/1873-rifle.tpl

They are more expensive, though.

Another option is to get a Colt Lightning replica (pump action made by Taurus, AWA, et al.) but I understand they're not really good for high-powered ammo. They don't tend to come with pistol grips, but it would be easier and cheaper to make a buttstock. They don't have a lever to modify.

The modified Marlin may be your best bet at the moment.

Brian Williams
March 13, 2006, 09:52 PM
Buy an 1894C and a 1894 that has a pistol grip. Take the stock and the trigger plate out of both and swap. Be prepared to spend some time fitting the parts together, but it could be doable. Then sell the straight grip gun.

There probably are a few folks out there that would like a straight grip 41 mag because most of them come with a pistol grip.

OBTW, I love my 1894c. It is my favorite centerfire rifle.

4v50 Gary
March 13, 2006, 10:01 PM
Have Marlin modify one and pay the extra. You'll have a rare gun.

roscoe
March 13, 2006, 11:26 PM
Have you checked Cabelas? They sell wood stocks for many rifles.

akodo
March 14, 2006, 03:10 PM
check out winchester 94 legacy 24", that has a pistol grip style stock.

It should be feasable to purchase just the rear stock, plus the lever, as these things do break or get damaged. Swap them onto a winchester 94 trapper model if the 24" is too long for you.

JNewell
March 14, 2006, 08:57 PM
I converted a Guide Gun to PG but it wasn't all that cheap. Going by memory, I had to buy the finger lever and lower tang (from Numrich, probably around $80-100) and a new buttstock (a takeoff purchased from Wild West Guns), probably another $40 or so, so figure the damage somewhere in the $120-150 range.

The finger lever and lower tang were hard to find. Marlin had stopped selling them except to gunsmiths (or so I was told) and Brownells was out. Don't know whether they've "unrestricted" the part (or whether any of that applies to the 1894 Marlin rifles).

If you enjoyed reading about "Need an advice on lever-action rifle." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!