What one gun isn't for sale ever?

PDA

Navy joe
April 17, 2003, 04:01 PM
What is the one that you personally will not sell in any circumstance? Do you have none you feel that strongly about? I usually live by the motto that everything is for sale except for my honor. Anything material I own, just ask and for the right price it could be yours.

My personal one is my Colt SR70 MK IV. I am the second owner, it was bought new in late '69 by my dad. I bought it from him a couple years ago, he is still very much with us, but I still view it as his gun. For many years it was his desk drawer gun, now it is my occasional shooter and very occasional carry piece. Still blued pretty, 98% or better, still quite reliable, still has that evil collet bushing and ****py sights. I love it anyway. Much out of character for me, I refuse to modify it in any way. No ambi safety, no cutting on the gun. I painted the front sight and put some griptape on the frontstrap, all very reversible.

Play nice, pick one. As much as I would literally sell my house and get a second job before selling guns, you cannot say "all of them". ONE! ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "What one gun isn't for sale ever?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FPrice
April 17, 2003, 04:05 PM
Mine is very similar to yours, a mid-70's Colt Government Model MkIV Series 70. However, I am the first and only owner, and I have lightly modified it. Hi-visibility sights, ambidexterous safety, and Pachmyer grips. It has a moderate amount of wear on it, but is still tight and shoots well.

cslinger
April 17, 2003, 04:07 PM
Mine is my Ruger Vaquero in .357.

It is very durable, versatile, accurate, pretty and has that single action flair.

The real reason is that this is the first gun Sheslinger ever bought for me and it was a complete surprise. It was for Valentines day and she said that she and our next door neighbor were going to get their nails done but in reality went to a local gun show that we had been to earlier that weekend. I had expressed a tad bit of 8 year old desire for the afore mentioned Vaquero.

Well she came home and I was just laying in bed waking up and out of nowhere she hands it to me. Not only was I surprised and literally felt like a child opening a Christmas gift but I was so amazed that she had gone and done it all herself. She shot with me from time to time but wasn't really all that into guns and lead me to believe she didn't know too much about them. Well apparently she had picked up quite a bit more knowledge then I was led to believe.

So anyway that is my one. Can I keep the SIG 220 and P7 too. :D

Second gun from the left.
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/cslinger/REVOS%20SMALL.jpg

Smoke
April 17, 2003, 04:07 PM
Winchester Model 42 Pump .410

My granddaddy used this gun to shoot trap behind the house. He taught me to shoot trap on it. He's gone, the gun is still here and still functional and pretty, and it'll still bust clays.

John Forsyth
April 17, 2003, 04:10 PM
Smith & Wesson .38 Military Police. My dad gave it to me.

Mike Irwin
April 17, 2003, 04:12 PM
Any of my S&W revolvers.

My Savage Model 99.

John G
April 17, 2003, 04:23 PM
Did you say one? ;)

Hmm, it'd be tough, but I'd say my BHP 9mm. Two-tone finish, cherry grips, adjustable sights, four full-cap magazines. It was my first pistol.

synoptic
April 17, 2003, 04:28 PM
Browning t-bolt .22 and a savage bolt action 30-30 - they were given to me on the condition that I never sell them, so therefore, I won't...

10-Ring
April 17, 2003, 04:40 PM
It would be my P7M8 :cool:

firestar
April 17, 2003, 04:55 PM
I would sell all of them if I really needed the cash but probably the last one that I would sell is my Bersa 23 in .22lr cal. They don't make them anymore and it is a joy to shoot. I just wish I could find some more mags for it.

Chipperman
April 17, 2003, 04:56 PM
P7M8, M13 if I can have a second. :cool:

oweno
April 17, 2003, 05:02 PM
That's easy. Grandpa Dan's 1911 that he brought back from France in 1918. It's complete with holster and a few boxes of 1918-issue .45 ammo.

Oh, also the 98K that Uncle Walter brought back from Germany in 1945.

Neither are for sale and, God willing, will never be.

Owen

Andrew Wyatt
April 17, 2003, 05:03 PM
ugh. that's tough

I't be a hard choice between my mossberg 500 (my graduation present) my series 80(with deactivated firing pin safety) 1911, or my enfield (the first gun i bought when i turned 18)

Bulldozer
April 17, 2003, 05:06 PM
Grandfather passed it down to Dad, who passed it down to me. Colt M-1911 .45 pattern GI pistol, unknown vintage... but is plenty old. Not for sale at any price. I intend to pass it down to my son once he is born and grows to maturity.

DontShootMe
April 17, 2003, 05:08 PM
Everything has a price.

Jesse H
April 17, 2003, 05:23 PM
Ruger 22/45.

It's not that pretty, wasn't all that pricey...but it was my first gun given to me by dad. Doesn't hurt that shoot the best with this thing.

But if somebody offers a million dollars for it I might sell. :D

CWL
April 17, 2003, 05:28 PM
P7PSP, P7M8, P7M13, KZ45, S&W 586.

All the other stuff could probably go in a pinch.

GhostShooter
April 17, 2003, 05:29 PM
A beat up, very old, rusted, single shot, 12ga. shotgun that was my great-grandfather's which was the first gun my dad learned to hunt with. Under NO circumstances would I sell it.

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/2M16.gif

Kinsman
April 17, 2003, 05:31 PM
My granddad's pearl-handled Blackhawk .44
Also a .22 single shot that he taught my dad and uncle to shoot on.

Carlos Cabeza
April 17, 2003, 05:36 PM
My Dad just gave me a Krag that I have always liked since boyhood. He just asked me one day if there was one that I wanted before he decided to "liquidate" his collection. I thought he wanted some money but said "no son, it's yours". I nearly got a bit of sand in my eye. :D I will never sell it, but I will pass it on to my son someday.

Bonker
April 17, 2003, 05:44 PM
Everything has it's price...amen to that!

Most of mine have sentimental value, BUT if the person who gave them to me found out I refused an obscene amount for one he'd kill me :)

But if I could only own one gun I'd probably go for my mini-14, although I'd choose a 12ga shotgun if I owned a nicer one. Ok maybe I'd pick my Mossberg 500. Ok yeah the mossberg because with an extra stock and barrel it can do home defense, car defense, hunting, and sporting fun. :)

Standing Wolf
April 17, 2003, 06:05 PM
All of my guns aren't for sale, and won't be until I'm dead and gone.

Don Gwinn
April 17, 2003, 06:08 PM
If I had to pick just one, I'd say my Remington 1100 lightweight/youth model 20 guage. Dad traded for it when I was a kid, and it was the prettiest gun in the world. Beautiful wood. Dad filled the engraving on the receiver with gold, and I haven't touched it since. It was a collector's item to my young mind, but dad insisted I carry it. Last year was the first season I didn't hunt with it, and I mean everything from deer to doves. I will never sell that gun. Now that I have two boys, I need another one before I can pass it down.

Hkmp5sd
April 17, 2003, 06:08 PM
Colt M16A1.

cool45auto
April 17, 2003, 07:15 PM
I know you said one but others have included a second and I would have to also. My Vertec is only a year old but I'll always keep it. I got rid of my SKS for a while (shudder) then later was surprised with getting it back. It'll stay here, too.

Alpha752
April 17, 2003, 07:17 PM
My Glock 17 will never leave my side.

PlayTheAces
April 17, 2003, 07:29 PM
Like others here, it's the first one I ever bought. If I someday get old and feeble and decide the time has come to liquidate, it's the one I'll keep. A venerable model 28.

Stevie-Ray
April 17, 2003, 07:32 PM
My Colt series 80 stainless Mark IV. Lightly self-customized, it sports a Centaur Systems Quadracomp barrel and compensator, extended slide release, Wilson trigger and ejector, Pachmayer sights, and custom wood grips with Ivory insert with a laser etched design. It's the only gun I have that will outshoot my Kimber CDP. Too big to carry, but I'll NEVER sell this one.

280PLUS
April 17, 2003, 07:39 PM
1953 colt match target with box, accessories and factory target.

includes factory trigger work to 3/4 lb pull.

:D

Sven
April 17, 2003, 07:46 PM
Valtro.

Hope my kids kids kids get to shoot this gun.

http://www.imageseek.com/valtro/sven/custom45_s.jpg

-s

blades67
April 17, 2003, 08:12 PM
Any one of my guns could be bought, but it would be cheaper to go almost anywhere else as the price for my guns is quite high.

Pendragon
April 17, 2003, 08:13 PM
Same as Sven.

Valtro - lightly customized by John Jardine, he was with me for the first 250 rounds. It was a transcendent experience - I was seriously considering having the gun engraved to make it something of a family heirloom...

cratz2
April 17, 2003, 09:26 PM
I have a few... Dan Wesson 22 revolver, Ned Christiansen-ized Colt 1991A1, Springfield Stainless Target Loaded, Ruger M77 in 25-06. Times would have to be might hard to force the sale of these. I also have a nice 38 Super Combat Commander about to go to Ned that I would find it difficult to part with. All the rest are just along for the ride.

Rembrandt
April 17, 2003, 09:42 PM
....it's not the most valuable in the collection, but the most prized is a custom Volquartsen 10/22 that has a personal message and autograph on the stock from a very good friend...Charlton Heston.

JohnBT
April 17, 2003, 09:59 PM
I would never sell any of my father's guns. Of course, I can't because he's 81 and still has them. :)

I also won't sell the Marlin Mountie my uncle gave me in '63 or the Single-Six I bought in '72.

John

Diesle
April 17, 2003, 10:01 PM
Is there such a thing.... really.....

Cash is king at the ole Diesle's house.

Diesle

CGofMP
April 17, 2003, 10:12 PM
Only ONE?
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh:mad:

Depends on how you decide!

For sheer practicality and for QUALITY It would be a real toss up between Jerry Rice's product and John Jardine's product. If I got to keep one rifle and one pistol for practical reasons then the selection is obvious. The Valtro And The Nor-Cal Precision.... Those are the two most accurate and most rugged weapons I own. Also the Valtro is a 2 digit serial number :) But the Rice rifle was a gift from a couple good friends...

Heart Choice is another matter...
I have 3 weapons in the safe that are sentimental to me. My great grandfather's 44-40 'buffalo gun' which is probably not safe to even fire, the beat-up M1 that I got from CMP and used for so many pictures on the Garand site, and the vanilla 357 I took top-gun with.

Ya know the more I think about it this is really a tough question! I guess it would depend on what was going to happen next. If its a SHTF thing or if its just that I am dirt poor and need food....

:cuss: your question!

:banghead: Can I take "Which 5 weapons would you choose for 500 Mr. Trebek?" :banghead:

mdsteele
April 17, 2003, 11:19 PM
My 686 four inch. 12"at 130 yards is nothing for this thing. One day I would like to try it at something further.

Soap
April 17, 2003, 11:29 PM
The ones that commemorate events in my life:

Ruger Single Six Convertible- First gun, 12th b-day.

Remington 700 BDL in .270- First centerfire, Christmas at age 13.

Mossberg 500 in 20 Ga- First shotgun.

Benelli Nova SP- Valentine's present from my wife, she was my fiancee when she got it for me.

Marlin 336CS in .30/30- 18th birthday

Springfield 1911 Loaded Parkerized- First handgun that REALLY resonated with my hands. Bought by...myself! :scrutiny: :D

Bushmaster M4 profile w/ A2 stock- Christmas gift from my hunny. Also my fiancee then.

Kimber .22 Hunter- Wedding present from my hunny. Will be passed from generation to generation.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
April 17, 2003, 11:41 PM
it'd be a tough call on 'just one', but if it were not limited I'd never part with the Winchester model 12 in 16 gauge and Winchester model 42 .410 that my father's father bought on the same day in 1934 when my father was born. The handgun I'll never part with is most likely the Colt Thunderer my dad gave me last year. Dad may not be with me a lot longer, and if my brother and I split his few handguns he owns those will never be sold either but passed along to our kids and their kids' kids.

Regards,
Rabbit.

M60
April 18, 2003, 04:03 AM
It would come down to my wifes grandfathers M1 garand that he carried in the pacific theater WWII or my Colt Match H-Bar.

I think I would keep the M1 and fight off the people coming to get the rest with the Colt.

Edward429451
April 18, 2003, 08:31 AM
Tough question.Thats like asking which kid I love more. An easier question would be which one would I be willing to sell...I've got a broken 22 auto nine I'd sell.

Smoke
April 18, 2003, 09:58 AM
to those that truly beleive "everything has its price".....

it doesn't. Maybe everything of yours has its price, but no amount of cash can touch some of the things near and dear to us. The guns I got from my Granddads are just a couple of the things dear to me.

I had an instructor in college who was fond of saying:

"Everything is for sale except my wife and my kids. I wouldn't take a Billion dollars for them; but I also wouldn't give a nickel for another set just like 'em."

keyhole
April 18, 2003, 10:14 AM
Great Uncle passed away in '85, and told his wife to let me have choice of what I wanted, ( 1 only) from his collection. Wanted all the rest sold, said the rest of the family shouldn't have any of them. I chose a 6" Colt Python, blue, and very nice. Would never sell it. Carried it on duty for several years until I bought a Ser. 70 MKIV, and then carried it for years, until they issued Glocks.

762x51
April 18, 2003, 10:58 AM
MY 10/22. First gun I ever owned. Everything else is replacable.

Okiecruffler
April 18, 2003, 11:24 AM
The 1953 Stevens 311H that my grandfather gave to me. I can't even look at it without thinking of the wonderful times he showed me as a child when the rest of my life wasn't so idealistic. I'm lucky enough that he's still with me at 82 y/o, and ballroom dancing with his 66 y/o wife no less. Maybe I'll go have lunch with him today.

Everything else is up for negotiation.

Navy joe
April 18, 2003, 11:42 AM
For all the ones who responded with only one, a trend emerges of a family connection, so take a kid shooting, they may remember it for the rest of their children's lives. The only exceptions of the one respondents I see come from non-gun households who cherish the first gun they ever paid for. I tried that until I realized that my pre-ban AR looked just like 1 million other 20" HBARS, it was just worth more.

For all the multiple gun respondents, I knew it would happen, just an interesting social study of the ?adult? lives of all of us who never could nor desired to color within the lines. ;)

I am most amazed of the sentiment, almost no one went for the most practical weapon as the keeper.

So, coloring the sky green... The second keeper gun isn't mine yet, just my dad's hunting gun since I can remember, Sauer and Sohn 12x12x .30-06 drilling, taken everything from bear to birds over 30 years. No price on that one.

BerettaNut92
April 18, 2003, 11:45 AM
None of them. They only fulfill needs and if I find something better, I sell the old one and move on.

Andrew Wyatt
April 18, 2003, 01:21 PM
Actually, i like to think my choices are the most practical, since i listed my entire collection.

FNFiveSeven
April 18, 2003, 01:23 PM
it would have to by my Bushmaster AR.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
April 18, 2003, 01:31 PM
Joe, thanks for the observation. I had noticed the trend and kept it quietly to myself. As reported earlier, all my absolute keepers are family pieces. I hope to add to my own an early H&R Handy-Gun in .410 that my grandparents kept under the seat of the car during the wild days of the early East Texas oil boom days when you couldn't hang your laundry out to dry and expect to retreive it all back when you were done.

I never could keep it all inside the lines myself.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Greg L
April 18, 2003, 01:34 PM
Not having any family heirlooms in the safe (I came from a long line of anti bed wetters, I must be adopted :D ) I would have to say my Ruger SP101 as it was the first one ever purchased. That said however if some mental patient was to offer me $5000 for it I would ask if it was ok to run one last cylinder full through it before sending it to it's new home.

I may be sentimental, not stupid.

Greg

45R
April 18, 2003, 01:43 PM
I'd have to say it would be my Sig P226. Tack driver and very reliable.

cobb
April 18, 2003, 02:13 PM
My Dad's Remington model 11, 20 ga., that I acquired after he passed away.

Schuey2002
April 18, 2003, 02:20 PM
My dad's Savage Model 99E (chambered in .30-.30) that he gave me a few years ago.. :cool: ;)

556A2
April 18, 2003, 02:23 PM
My Colt Trooper Mark III, probably at 96%, fired VERY little. It was my uncle's who had passed away a few years ago, and since I was there when it was found, I got the rights to it under the condition it would never be sold.

And my CZ-75B, 1st handgun that was all mine, got it for Christmas this past year.

anchored
April 18, 2003, 02:51 PM
My Dad's Winchester 1870 Shotgun ( I think that's the model). It's old and cranky and has no blueing left. It gets handed down to the first grandson of the current owner, so I won't get it, but I've had custody of since my dad died and no grandkids yet. Thanks to my sister, the first grandson is due to be born any day now, but I'll probably get to hang onto it for a few more years at least. I shot my first squirrel with it, but now it pretty much only gets shot at the new year.

Of my own guns, I'd have to say I'll always keep my first rifle, a marlin 336, and my first handgun, a Ruger Mark II

Braz
April 18, 2003, 05:03 PM
Wilson custom pistols,

They seem to gain in value rather than lose it. Folks that afford the best are loth to part with it. Lucky devils. ;)

gold_cup
April 18, 2003, 07:06 PM
That is a VERY tough question to narrow down to one.

I still own the first rifle I ever held. It is a Ted Williams 22 autoloader that my late grandfather bought for my late father back in the 40s or 50s. There is no amount of money that would make me part with this.

But I also still own the first Revolver I ever bought. It was a new Smith & Wesson 6" model 27. I think I bought it in 1978. It would take a lot for me to part with that.

And I have the first autoloader that I ever bought, a new Colt Gold Cup from the 1977.

rick_reno
April 18, 2003, 08:25 PM
My 20 ga. Fox double. It belonged to my great grandfather; when he died my father expressed an interest in and my grandmother - being a spiteful woman - took it to the local gun shop and sold it. My father - who never had a dime to his name - bought that gun from the gun shop. I never did hear how he did that. A couple of years later he didn't have any money for Christmas and gave me the gun for a Christmas present. I gave it back - I wasn't kind to guns and didn't want to hunt with something that nice. I'd been using an old 870 he'd bought used and it suited me perfectly since it was already dinged up. I got the Fox when Dad died, and it's staying here. One of my kids will get it.

coonan357
April 18, 2003, 08:36 PM
my name says it all , I wanted one for so long , my dealer said I would be better off looking for a chicken with teeth , well the chicken got a set of dentures one day when I walked in the shop and stared down into the case and lookie what I find ... Snatched that puppy up and he's been a whining ever since and so have a bunch of you guys too . as for long guns I will not part with any of the shotguns my grandfather willed to me . I am sorry that I didn't spend enough time with him while he was well , and I couldn't spend it with him when he passed away (work ) these will get passed on to my nephew when its my time to leave ..:(

P95Carry
April 18, 2003, 08:49 PM
Hard ..... very hard! Mine tho would have to be my Mauser Obendorfe, in 22LR .... a dream of a rifle and doubt very much I'd ever find one again. Made I think Circa 1920 and apparently a good one can make $1,000.

Posted this before ..... sorry yet again about the evil background color .. really must take a new pic!!

http://www.acbsystems.com/assd_img/Mauser22.jpg

blooch
April 18, 2003, 10:54 PM
that is a very tough question. i used to shoot competitive skeet. i have sold the guns i broke my first ever 100x100 with in all the gauges, the guns i broke my 400x400's with. the only skeet gun i kept is my tricked out 12 ga 303. i sold the rifle i shot my first deer with. cannot count the pistols i've bought and sold.

but the question is which one would i absolutely not sell. i have kept the first 22 i ever had. and the old 20 ga stevens single shot my dad taught me how to shoot with. and the old ithaca 37 20 gauge that an aunt gave me. it was the first pump gun i ever shot. later i learned it was her husbands wedding present to her. he had passed away and i was the nephew who liked shooting the most.

i would sell all of these, it came to that, for my family. they are just things. but those above would be the last to go.

i guess that there are no guns i have that i wouldn't sell. some of those i've already sold were hard to sell, but it had to be. not all were for financial reasons. many things come up that bear on guns, many that i never dreamed of would make me sell a gun.

Stevie-Ray
April 18, 2003, 11:12 PM
....it's not the most valuable in the collection, but the most prized is a custom Volquartsen 10/22 that has a personal message and autograph on the stock from a very good friend...Charlton Heston. Wow. I don't blame you. I'd give practically anything for him to write a personal inscription on one of my guns. My boyhood hero, turned NRA president. I was thrilled at the time.

April 18, 2003, 11:15 PM
The only one I couldn't sell would be my last one. Now don't take that as a smart allecky remark, I just mean that I sell guns all the time, but would never leave myself without at least one.

Ala Dan
April 19, 2003, 12:58 AM
and can't remember if I replied to the question asked;
but just in case I haven't, I have 2 X Sig-Sauer's
that I WILL NOT depart with:

West German produced and assembled .45 caliber P220A and a 9m/m P228

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

jsalcedo
April 19, 2003, 01:13 AM
It would have to be my Davis P380.

I wouldn't sell it to anyone ever.

I'm sure I would be zapped down to the pits of hell if I dumped that piece of fertilizer on someone.

TexasVet
April 19, 2003, 01:54 AM
The Colt-Berdan I, Factory Pattern Room Model I own for the .45-70 version that was never put into production. It's going to the Smithsonian as a memorial to my late friend Dr. Ed Ezell when I kick off.

It's the one they handbuilt to make the patterns for the tooling for the prod. run that never happened.

Neva
April 19, 2003, 02:09 AM
P7PSP....

SIG 228, nope... Browning Hi-Power, nope...

My friend, the 870, nope...

Nope, nada, none...

Not even my little, bitty NAA mag mini...

bigshark14
April 19, 2003, 02:25 AM
Grandpa gave me a Remington Scoremaster 541P
It’s a .22 bolt action

Grandpa came from a time when a man took care of his stuff
He passed on and left me with his antique model trains, his ancient baseball card collection and two rifles… the .22 and a Springfield Trapdoor .45-70

None of that stuff is (nor ever will be) for sale. I went to set up the trains two years ago around the holidays. I brought them to a local hobby shop to have them checked out and cleaned before I ran them. The guy asked me to name any price for them. He knew me and he knew my family and he said; “This will pay for a semester of college for you.” I had to tell him “Yeah, but if I sell these I can’t go home to my mom… then what about the other seven semesters?” I think he got the point.

The Trapdoor and the Remington .22 are on this earth only to remind me of the old guy (Grandpa) and to be handed down to my future kids (with plenty of stories about the old man).

4 eyed six shooter
April 19, 2003, 02:31 AM
It would have to be O'l Loudmouth. My customized Series 70 Colt Government Model. It is 100% reliable, hits where I point it and has saved my bacon a couple of times. I never leave home without it.

JeepDriver
April 19, 2003, 08:34 PM
The one gun I don't have and hopefully won't get for another 30-40 years. My Dad's Colt from Viet Nam. He still has it in his night stand. It's the only handgun he owns now, he said he'll never ket that gun go. He came home with it, and has told me I'll get it when he is dead and not before. I'm in no rush.

From my personal collection. I'd have to say the S&W 686. But I doubt I'll ever sell my Ruger P95, Beretta 92FS, Sig 239, or my BHP. All of them are near and dear to my heart.

Matthew Courtney
April 19, 2003, 09:14 PM
The Winchester Model 42 .410 that my great-grandfather taught my dad to shoot with, my Dad taught me to shoot with, and I will teach my children to shoot with.

BlkHawk73
April 19, 2003, 09:14 PM
Can't give just one, sorry. My P7M8 took me too long to acquire and my Ithica 37 was given to me by my grandmother. My grandfather had three guns. Each of my brothers got one and I got the shotgun. It's something I WILL pass on to my son.

FJC
April 19, 2003, 09:42 PM
Ruger MK II .22 caliber, with a 4" tapered barrel and fixed sights that are way off...

It was the first firearm I ever owned, given to me by my father. :)

Shoeless
April 19, 2003, 09:48 PM
My East German Makarov. It was the first gun I ever bought, so it has some sentimental value, but moreso just because it's a great gun.

Shoeless

cwalker3
April 19, 2003, 10:41 PM
M1 Garand. Nuff said.

If you enjoyed reading about "What one gun isn't for sale ever?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!