"New" Mosin M38 Question

PDA

Ermac
March 14, 2006, 09:57 AM
Just got a un-issued M38 with all mathing serial numbers.
Everything is great except for one kind of ammo.
I picked up 50 rounds of "Albanian Match" and it works perfectly with a huge fireball. I went to my local gunshop and picked up a box of "Czech Laquer" Coat...it was milsurp ammo and it was packed in a little flat box. The headsamp had a year of 56 on it. Basically, when I shoot the laquer stuff, the bolt is EXTREMELY hard to open the first few shots. After a while, (say 8-10 rouds), it will open much smoother. The Albanian ammo had no problems from the start. I have read about sticky bolts, but the M38 is completely clean of cosmo...the chamber is perfectly clean and so is the bolt. I see no burs or anything in there. Should I advoid using laquer coated steel cases in the Mosin and just stick to brass / copper wash steel?

Thanks for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about ""New" Mosin M38 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Niner
March 14, 2006, 10:30 AM
Take a look at this recent string.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=188396

El Barto
March 14, 2006, 02:34 PM
My question is where can I get an unissued 38?

ball3006
March 14, 2006, 04:07 PM
where did you get Albanian match ammo...............chris3

Ermac
March 14, 2006, 06:46 PM
thanks for those who posted.
I got the match albanian ammo at a gun show last weekend in the Valley Forge Convention Center in PA. It came in a plastic bag by the 50 (probably the shop owner did this). I verified the ammo on one of the mosin sites...Im at work and dont have it bookmarked, but I think its 7.62x54.net or something. Do a google and it should come up.

If you enjoyed reading about ""New" Mosin M38 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!