Magical Mystery Mauser

PDA

Langenator
March 14, 2006, 02:53 PM
Saw a Mauser rifle of unknown type on the used rifle rack yesterday, and I can't figure out what exactly it is. Here's what I know:

Caliber: 8x57
Sights: Front blade sight, civilian, not military type. No rear sight. Drilled and tapped for scope mounts on front and rear receiver rings. One hole on the front ring cuts into the year of manufacture marking, which would seem to indicate that this wasn't done by the factory.

Factory markings say "Mauserwerke, Berlin, 1936"

Stock is definitely civilian. There's a brass disk on the right side which says something like Signature Series or some such. Didn't look that close.

Rear receiver ring has a stripper clip guide, IIRC.

Barrel is stepped, and lighter than a military barrel.

What I'm trying to figure out is if this rifle was made as a civvy rifle, or was it sporterized after some GI brought it home?

At $85, I'm thinking real hard about bringing it home.

If you enjoyed reading about "Magical Mystery Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
March 14, 2006, 03:16 PM
From the information you've listed, this is most likely a sporterized military Mauser. The value would depend on the quality of the work, and what was done to it.

For example, have the bolt handle and safety been modified to clear a scope? If not, then you'll have problems using a scope with it.

What is the quality of the stock and the bedding? Is this a professional job, or a home-made drop-in conversion?

How do the scope mount holes line up? To find this out, you'll have to mount a scope -- if it looks off toward Jones', this rifle would not be a bargain.

But if everything's satisfactory, you have a good buy there.

Langenator
March 14, 2006, 05:55 PM
I'm pretty certain it had a scope mounted at some point-the rear mount (Weaver style) is still there, but the front one is MIA. What kind of scope, I can't say.

Actually, I was wondering how tough it would be to get some sort of peep sight mounted on the rear ring.

Cosmoline
March 14, 2006, 06:01 PM
If it says "Mod. 98" on it, it's a bubba job. You can usually tell a Commercial Mauser by the excellence of its lines and its perfect balance. The ones I've seen are instantly distinguishable from Bubba jobs. They're fantastic rifles. If the one you're looking at has holes drilled in it for a scope mount it's probbaly Bubba. The true Commercial models often had European style quick release mounts milled right in.

Vern Humphrey
March 14, 2006, 06:12 PM
Gun magazines frequently run ads for peep sights designed to clamp onto the rear scope base (I know Rifle and Handloader have them now and then.) If that's your intention, you just might come with a nice rifle really cheaply.

Langenator
March 15, 2006, 12:58 AM
Well smeg, it looks like I'll have to go back to the gunstore to have another look.

Oh darn. :rolleyes:

Langenator
March 15, 2006, 07:33 PM
Aw smeg...someone beat me to it. According to the store's resident milsurp fiend, it went out the door yesterday.

He also confirmed that it was a bubba'd Mod 98, albeit a nice one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Magical Mystery Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!