Preacherman
March 14, 2006, 04:29 PM
From MSNBC ( http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11800942/ ):

Storm-battered parish considers hired guns

Contractors in Louisiana would make arrests, carry weapons

By Renae Merle
The Washington Post
Updated: 1:06 a.m. ET March 14, 2006

ST. BERNARD PARISH, La. - Maj. Pete Tufaro scanned the fenced lot packed with hundreds of stark white trailers soon to be inhabited by Hurricane Katrina evacuees. Shaking his head, he predicted the cramped quarters would ignite fights, hide criminals and become an incubator for crime, posing another test for his cash-strapped sheriff's department, which furloughed 206 of its 390 officers after the storm.

Tufaro thinks the parish has the solution: DynCorp International LLC, the Texas company that provided personal security to Afghan President Hamid Karzai and is one of the largest security contractors in Iraq. If the Federal Emergency Management Agency approves the sheriff's department's proposal, which would cost $70 million over three years, up to 100 DynCorp employees would be deputized to be make arrests, carry weapons, and dress in the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's Department khaki and black uniforms.

But while the plan is for the DynCorp employees to eat and live with the other deputies in the same trailer camp, the hired guns would earn "significantly more" than the $18,000 annual salary of an entry-level deputy and the $30,000-a-year salary of a seasoned officer.

For DynCorp and other private security companies, the post-Katrina Gulf Coast, like Iraq, is a land of opportunity. Hired shortly after the storm to protect several New Orleans hospitals, its first domestic security job, the Texas firm has earned about $14 million from work in the Gulf Coast since Katrina, not all of which has involved security.

Blackwater USA, which protected the Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq and lost four employees in a brutal ambush in Fallujah in 2004, earned about $42 million through the end of December on a contract with Federal Protective Service, a unit of the Department of Homeland Security, to provide security to FEMA sites. Most of the 330 contract guards now working in Louisiana are employed by the company.

The Homeland Security Department's Inspector General said the company's costs in its FEMA contract -- it earns $950 a day for each employee -- were "clearly very high," and it expressed hope that competition would lower them. But costs are not the only concerns raised by critics of the companies.

"Katrina broke all of the rules. It was the first time you had the deployment of armed private security contractors in the U.S.," said Peter W. Singer, senior fellow at the Brookings Institution and the author of "Corporate Warriors: The Rise of the Privatized Military Industry."

Singer said the proposed contract with DynCorp raises a number of questions, including whether the DynCorp officers will be properly supervised, whether the pay difference will cause tension in the sheriff's department and whether it suggests that even government jobs that assume a level of public service can be done by private corporations.

Danielle Brian, executive director of Project on Government Oversight, a government watchdog group, said that instead of using the money to hire contractors, the sheriff's department in St. Bernard should invest in training more officers or try to rehire those they furloughed. "Our law enforcement system is based on public service employees and not private contractors pretending to be law enforcement," Brian said.

Greg Lagana, a DynCorp spokesman, said companies like his with experience in security and logistics have a lot to offer government agencies in emergency situations. "We do a lot of work for government that the government finds, for its own reasons, more convenient or more economical to contract out," he said. "Sometimes it's more efficiently done by the private sector. We don't make those determinations; they do. If there is work we can do, we'll do it."

To Tufaro and other law enforcement officials, St. Bernard Parish is facing an emergency. Money dried up so fast after Katrina hit that Sheriff Jack Stephens, an imposing, 6-foot-4-inch New Orleans native, took out a loan of more than $4 million on behalf of the department, which he says he would be held personally responsible for if he left office before its repayment. "It is what I had to do," he said.

Besides being nearly broke, the department has a host of new challenges. The FBI has warned that gangs such as Mara Salvatrucha, also known as MS-13, could come attached to construction crews and establish operations, prompting the department to establish a strike team that has already arrested eight alleged members, police officials said.

Before the storm, the department tangled with "local toughs, slinging dope," not sophisticated international gangs, Stephens said. Added James Bernazzani, the FBI's special agent in charge in the region: "We would be naive to think that this being perhaps the largest construction boom for a region for a long, long time, we're talking eight to 10 years, that they might not try to take advantage of the situation."

The officers have also been turned into part-time psychologists as they deal with the 5,000 or so residents who did not leave the parish. There was recently a standoff with a man who threatened to shoot himself unless he spoke to a FEMA representative and another in which someone chained himself to a trailer. There have been five suicides since the storm, compared with one every other year before, they said. "I think that kind of thing will just increase as time goes on," Capt. Darlene Poche said, noting that a traffic stop can turn into an hour-long conversation. "Everybody wants to tell you their story."

Stretched thin, the department is ready to turn to private contractors to head off what it fears will be an increase in crime as construction in the parish booms and residents adjust to life in cramped trailers.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Hired guns" for LA law enforcement?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kodiaz
March 14, 2006, 06:10 PM
Well I'm sure using the Hessians is no big deal after all King George did it a couple of hundred years ago.

Manedwolf
March 14, 2006, 06:33 PM
This scares the crap out of me.

Just picturing next post-disaster, when all social order is broken down again...and some of these who signed up for the WRONG reasons are allowed to run free. When there's no chance of crimininal investigation of how they deal with "inconveniences"...

"You WILL leave this area and leave your home NOW."
"No, no, I have plenty of food and water, I'm fin..." *BLAM!*
"Too bad, another victim of looters. Throw'im in the water, let's move on."

So we have our own Hessians.

I'll have something with 7.62x25 or 5.7 carried concealed in any post-disaster scenario, and that's all I'll say.

(BTW, who is paying these exhorbitant salaries for the private police? Taxpayers? Us?)

ArmedBear
March 14, 2006, 06:41 PM
http://www.imagesjournal.com/issue10/infocus/magnificentx.jpg

OR....

http://www.imagesjournal.com/issue10/infocus/highplains.jpg

Car Knocker
March 14, 2006, 07:12 PM
(BTW, who is paying these exhorbitant salaries for the private police? Taxpayers? Us?)

Who else?

Fred Fuller
March 14, 2006, 07:55 PM
Every tomorrow is one day closer to yesterday it seems. Used to be in the Wild West days they hired Pinkertons when the locals couldn't handle whatever the problem was, now it's MPRI or Triple Canopy or Blackwater or Dyncorp. Looks like same same deal now, locals can't or won't handle it so hired help does, no matter how expensive. It isn't evolution it's devolution.

Guess no one much remembers any lessons from the town of Northfield, MN any more. Can't imagine Mara-istas or any other bunch being that much worse than the James- Younger Gang, they ain't none of 'em bulletproof after all. Just declare 'open season' on crooks in Saint Bernard Parish and give ol' Boudreaux a get-out-of-jail-free card... or better yet, pay a bounty on 'em like nutria, when turned over to the sheriff with undeniable proof of criminality. That ought to enliven the local atmosphere sufficiently to discourage the criminally inclined.

lpl/nc (might have to invent a gun mount for digital video recorders)

http://www.northfieldhistory.org/JJ/story.html

gc70
March 14, 2006, 08:11 PM
cost $70 million over three years, up to 100 DynCorp employeesDANGER, Will Robinson, DANGER.

That contract translates to $233,333 per employee per year.

I guess that just might cause a little friction with the $18,000 a year rookies.

Fly320s
March 14, 2006, 09:21 PM
If the parish furloughed most of it's officers due to a lack of money, how are they going to pay the higher salary of the DynCorp cops? :confused:

offthepaper
March 14, 2006, 09:38 PM
Manedwolf:

I'm with you. This almost appears to be pretty much what the 2A folks stress cannot be allowed to happen in this country. Maybe not so, but just the appearence of govt encampments of it's poulation should make one pause.
These guys aren't rent-a-cops. They're sent to an array of many of the hotspots in the world. They're basicly paid mercenaries, being paid by our own govt to "keep an eye on" or "secure" the local population in that area. This outfit hasn't been selected because they"re cheaper, or more cost effective than the local law enforcement. They were selected because they posses the ability to bring a massive amount of force to persuade a large body of civilians to conform to their (or someone's) demands, with much more of a military type operation than the sheriffs deputies ever could. Not to mention, some of the locals cops may have a different feeling about their duties if they truely think some of the policies are dead wrong concerning individual rights.
It's just interesting that the govt thinks this is the BEST way to provide for this fascet of the massive rebuilding program needed. Very costly (at a time when money is tight), not giving the local cops their jobs back (tax paying, know the area/people), thinking about those roadblocks too.
It just smacks me in the eye that this seems more like an exercise in massive crowd control within the US borders. The money to pay for this is coming from the Federal Relief monies, and I'd bet my last monies the Feds may have a bigger interest in how things go than the local govt does.
Like I said in the begining, maybe not so, (hell, I'm always paranoid) but it shouldn't become the norm when after a "declared disaster" the govt sends JBT's to "secure" the locals. We likely in the future will suffer another major event in this country that may affect a major population center, be it from nature, terrorism, bird flu, whatever. At some point the govt may feel forced to tightly control a major population in a given area(s). This just looks like practice to me. But I'm paranoid.

Creeping Incrementalism
March 14, 2006, 10:03 PM
Isn't this the parish where deputies were captured on video driving around shooting healthy, non-threatening dogs in the aftermath of the hurricane because "Where they gonna find food? Where they gonna find water?"

If it is the same department, then I'd take the contractors.

Manedwolf
March 14, 2006, 10:21 PM
If the parish furloughed most of it's officers due to a lack of money, how are they going to pay the higher salary of the DynCorp cops?

You're speaking logic, not money trail.

Money from taxpayers goes to -> appropriations -> hiring DynCorp -> contractors. Kickbacks go from DynCorp -> complicit bureacrats -> lawmaker who caused it to happen.

Follow the money. Always follow the money.

Sgt Stevo
March 15, 2006, 12:22 AM
Blackwater is sending guys down as well. And there are lots of contractors there.

I used to work in the projects for HUD. we were contracted POST qued guys.

the lines were blurred at Times. the cops did not like us to much. Until we proved we were not over stepping our bounds.

The money goes to the company not the guys. They get a good base pay. But, the company gets most the cash.

I did this part time off duty. It is very hard work. People dont like to told what to do by none sworn people of any type.

But what is a better idea??........

beerslurpy
March 15, 2006, 12:27 AM
I'm going to go ahead and be a contrarian here...

In a country in which the military is supposed to be composed of the entire body of the people, we have to expect that private citizens with guns will be used when the authorities are stretched too thin. Of course, I would prefer that the people with guns be the people that actually live there instead of imported contractors, but it isnt a perfect world.

I agree that the private contractors are certainly more expensive than either cops or the free services of the local residents in terms of keeping the peace.

I also agree that hiring what are essentially a mercenary corps to do civilian work is essentially wrong.

outofbattery
March 15, 2006, 12:41 AM
Wow-$18k a year for a rookie deputy,up here starting pay is almost literally double that! Granted the cost of living is several magnitudes cheaper in LA than MA but man,I don't think $18k/year is enough to convince me that _I_ should be the one stepping into the middle of domestic disputes or pulling over a suspicious carload of guys on a back road in the middle of the night.

davec
March 15, 2006, 12:50 AM
Reminds me of OCP in the Robocop movies.

Jeff White
March 15, 2006, 02:55 AM
Dyncorp contractors??? :what: Just what do they know about being a peace officer? Providing security to the Afghan president is one thing, quieting a domestic disturbance is another.

I suppose LA POST or whatever certifying organization they have is just going to waive any educational and training requirements. A good soldier does not necessarily make a good cop. I know, I've been both.

We don't need mercenaries in American law enforcement. There is plenty of work for those people overseas. I am emailing my congressman about the issue now.

Give St Bernard Parish a federal grant to hire some real police officers. I'd rather see them deputize locals then hire mercenaries.

Jeff

Echo Tango
March 15, 2006, 03:20 AM
Having worked for said company in the last year, I can safely say, this is quite possibly the dumbest idea anyone has come up with in a long time.

LAK
March 15, 2006, 03:33 AM
The "public-private partnership" was a bad idea from the beginning - any way it is concocted.

------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Azrael256
March 15, 2006, 03:34 AM
Dyncorp contractors??? Just what do they know about being a peace officer? Providing security to the Afghan president is one thing, quieting a domestic disturbance is another. Just because they're contractors doesn't mean they aren't real cops. DynCorp is involved in sending American officers over to Iraq and Afghanistan to start and maintain local PDs over there. DynCorp doesn't recruit Joe XYZ off the street for this kind of thing. They want plenty of experience from anybody they hire. I would happily wager that these "contractors" are former officers, reserve officers, or current full-timers from various departments around the country. They ain't exactly hessians.

gunsmith
March 15, 2006, 04:42 AM
I was with Azrael256, I know these companies hire good men most of the time...
but then Echo Tango said he worked for them...I'd believe a worker before management...(sorry management guys!)

mons meg
March 15, 2006, 07:25 AM
So they can't get a FEMA grant to hire back the rest of their own deputies, which would cost less?

The CHPs that LA borrowed were "real cops", but that didn't go over too well either, remember?

fourays2
March 15, 2006, 08:55 AM
sounds like they're creating a huge "open prison", maybe they should get DoC personnel instead of cops or mercs.

Manedwolf
March 15, 2006, 09:09 AM
did this part time off duty. It is very hard work. People dont like to told what to do by none sworn people of any type.

But what is a better idea??........

Something that doesn't use MY taxpayer dollars to make DynCorp have a fat wallet!

BTW, why doesn't some REAL conservative lawmaker bring this up as issue that hired mercenaries...essentially, yes, SOLDIERS doing law enforcement could be seen as a violation of posse comitatus?

The founding fathers likely only didn't include a provision against this because they never figured we'd have our own Hessians. :barf:

Dyncorp contractors??? Just what do they know about being a peace officer? Providing security to the Afghan president is one thing, quieting a domestic disturbance is another.

I'm just picturing the domestic-call scene and its resolution in the spoof video "TROOPS"...

CoachVince
March 15, 2006, 09:44 AM
Reminds me of OCP in the Robocop movies.
sounds like they're creating a huge "open prison", maybe they should get DoC personnel instead of cops or mercs.
Maybe the movie reference for people to consider should be "Escape from New York", as in Escape from the New Orleans area, now!

I can only imagine that finding those responsible for rights violations could be a huge quagmire, due to lack of public oversight. Maybe I'm wrong, but a lot of people have problems just with the standard, "non-mercenary" police. I cannot imagine that outsiders will improve this, and I can't see the expenditure of funds for them, instead of standard officers being reasonable. It really does seem like the groundwork for an OCP-type venture; where a whole city's services end up being provided by private firms, possibly interconnected.

Would anyone have any info on the ownership of the firms providing security; i.e., are they U.S. owned at least? I would think some of them are, but I'm not familiar enough with the field to be sure.

Something that doesn't use MY taxpayer dollars to make DynCorp have a fat wallet!
BTW, why doesn't some REAL conservative lawmaker bring this up as issue that hired mercenaries...essentially, yes, SOLDIERS doing law enforcement could be seen as a violation of posse comitatus?

This site http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=5115 mentions how we already have a group that SHOULD be available to take care of any problems like this, resulting from Katrina, etc; but they're in a foreign land...
American law calls for civilian peace officers to keep the peace, or, failing that, National Guard troops under the command of their state governors. So perhaps we should stop treating the National Guard as if it's no different than the Army Reserve.
As Katrina made landfall, there were 7,000 Louisiana and Mississippi Guard troops deployed in Iraq. Among them were 3,700 members of Louisiana's 256th Mechanized Infantry Brigade, who took with them high-water vehicles and other equipment that could have been put to better use in New Orleans.
The Guard personnel at home had only one satellite phone for the entire Mississippi Gulf Coast when Katrina initially hit -- because the others were in Iraq.
Edited to add cato.org link

TheEgg
March 15, 2006, 10:08 AM
One of the strengths of our legal system is that those charged with enforcing the law are normally locals, residents of the area, in other words our friends/neighbors/relatives.

Hiring 'contractors' goes against this principle, and I find it unacceptable. I suspect that in the long haul, it would actually increase crime and violence, not decrease it, as the population reacted very unfavorably to these 'contractors'.

tellner
March 15, 2006, 10:51 AM
DynCorp was caught running underage prostitution (read: slavery) rings in Bosnia. They argued successfully that they weren't cops, weren't soldiers and weren't under any obligations except to fulfill their contract and accept a fat check from the government. It was dropped. The only drop should have been down a short rope at the top of a tall ladder.

And Our Shrub wants to let them point guns at you and me? Never. Or should I say "Never Again!" :barf:

Biker
March 15, 2006, 10:53 AM
Very good point, The Egg.
Biker

HankB
March 15, 2006, 12:15 PM
If this kind of cr@p - hiring contractors, rather than police - takes off, how long will it be until someone decides that having Americans policed by foreigners is a good idea?
That contract translates to $233,333 per employee per year. I can see someone in the Bush administration taking a look at this, then having Dubya call up his good friend Vincente Fox, who'd probably be willing to provide Mexican nationals for half this price. :eek:

Biker
March 15, 2006, 12:17 PM
Ya got a point there, Pard. Get MS-13 in on the Guest Worker program and voila! Problem solved.
Biker

Manedwolf
March 15, 2006, 01:27 PM
This site http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=5115 mentions how we already have a group that SHOULD be available to take care of any problems like this, resulting from Katrina, etc; but they're in a foreign land...
American law calls for civilian peace officers to keep the peace, or, failing that, National Guard troops under the command of their state governors. So perhaps we should stop treating the National Guard as if it's no different than the Army Reserve.
As Katrina made landfall, there were 7,000 Louisiana and Mississippi Guard troops deployed in Iraq. Among them were 3,700 members of Louisiana's 256th Mechanized Infantry Brigade, who took with them high-water vehicles and other equipment that could have been put to better use in New Orleans.
The Guard personnel at home had only one satellite phone for the entire Mississippi Gulf Coast when Katrina initially hit -- because the others were in Iraq.
Edited to add cato.org link

Personally, I'd be all for states voting to disband their National Guard units and instead form State Militia or State Guard units...that could ONLY be used within that state, for defense, to maintain order, or for disaster relief efforts. The federal government would not be able to grab them up and throw them to all corners of the globe as spare reserve troops.

Sound about right?

And a lot more people would likely volunteer for their State Guard Reserve if they knew that they'd be defending or helping their own state, and that's it...

RevDisk
March 15, 2006, 03:44 PM
Manedwolf is correct, follow the money. I'm fairly sure this deal will actually be a retirement package for a couple of desk weenies and politicians. Screw the taxpayers, and the citizens who will be 'policed' by these mercs.

DynCorp was caught running underage prostitution (read: slavery) rings in Bosnia. They argued successfully that they weren't cops, weren't soldiers and weren't under any obligations except to fulfill their contract and accept a fat check from the government. It was dropped. The only drop should have been down a short rope at the top of a tall ladder.

And Our Shrub wants to let them point guns at you and me? Never. Or should I say "Never Again!"

Yep. It happened. DynCorp wasn't the only folks involved in shady stuff. I got in a bit of trouble for nearly gunning down some KBR executives up to similiar things. My superior made it very clear that I was not allowed to have an 'accidential discharge' with my M249. I'm sure he wished he could have looked the other way.

Remember those mercs that got toasted and hung from a bridge? I don't know the story behind why the locals got so pissed, but if the conduct of the mercs, err "private military corporation employees" like DynCorp, KBI, Blackwater, et al was the same in Iraq as I've seen else where, I'd have to side with the locals. I wanted to do the same thing more than once.

DynCorp is a shady corporation with a history of human rights violations. I don't trust a corporation whose entire infrastructure in Bosnia was buying and selling underage girls... I had buddies in SFOR (and IFOR before that) that saw it, and weren't allowed to do anything about it. I saw it in my tours. Yea, it wasn't every DynCorp employee, but it was a lot more than just "a couple of bad apples".

Giving such slime badges and authority over US citizens? Expect human rights violations on a massive level. They will happen. No "maybe", they will happen. If you're living in an area where they are deputized, leave. If you can't leave, pray for the best and arm everyone in your family. Expect some mercs to swing from the bridges, and hope it keeps the marginal slime in line.

Sigh. Unfortunately, I see this as likely the future. It's been going that way for a long time in the military. Gutting the military, replacing with contractors, and certain politicians/paper pushers to make tons of money. That's bad enough... Starting to do so with the police? Ugh.

Just because they're contractors doesn't mean they aren't real cops. DynCorp is involved in sending American officers over to Iraq and Afghanistan to start and maintain local PDs over there. DynCorp doesn't recruit Joe XYZ off the street for this kind of thing. They want plenty of experience from anybody they hire. I would happily wager that these "contractors" are former officers, reserve officers, or current full-timers from various departments around the country. They ain't exactly hessians.

Incorrect, if they are contractors, they are not cops. It's one thing to hire contractors for technical services. Often times, it's basically impossible to find government employees with extensive experience with specialized equipment or technical skills. To hire contractors to replace the principle jobs of soldiers or cops... Bad idea.

No offense, Azrael256, but I'm guessing you don't have experience with mercs. I was a soldier, and then a defense contractor (computer technician, not a merc).

These guys are not Hessians. That'd be a compliment. These folks would be much worse.

tellner
March 15, 2006, 05:21 PM
I know it's common to bash "da gubbmint" as a concept. But there are two very important things about it. Within the limits of competence and human honesty it is responsible to and serves the will of the people. It is also there and will be there tomorrow, next week and next year. If it carries out the will of the people efficiently enough, well and good. If it doesn't the people may "alter or abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." In some cases the best choice is to hire an outsider to carry out a particular task. In others when it's something that can't be done without and continuity is important, you want someone who is responsible to you and who will be there and still be responsible even when it isn't fun or easy any more.

A for-profit corporation must be dedicated first, last and always to profit. They may be able to do things more cheaply than a government bureau, and they may be quicker to adapt to changing circumstances. But in the end their goal is to spend as little as possible and charge as much as the market will bear for it. To do anything else is for the directors to fail at their "fiduciary duty to maximize stockholder equity" as the bylaws of so many companies say. If expedience dictates that it's time to leave they will do so. If the company goes bankrupt you can send prosecutors around to bayonet the wounded; it's still gone and whatever you wanted them to do is gone with it.

In the case of areas where the public safety is at stake - police, military, arguably fire, courts, public health, disaster management - you need someone whose mandate is to serve the public trust. DynCorp, KBR, Halliburton, and Exxon may believe they are or own the government. We do if we choose to exercise our right to do so.

LAK
March 16, 2006, 05:39 AM
What Tellner and RevDisk said.

And that is the tip of a big disgusting iceberg. If the American people allow themselves to be suckered down this road they are in for a very unpleasant awakening.

-------------------------------------------

White Horseradish
March 16, 2006, 02:10 PM
You know, maybe my tinfoil is a bit tight, but when I saw this, I thought back to an article that appeared a few months ago. I don't have it handy, but it had to do with Blackwater (And possibly other security companies) hiring ex-military types from South American armies that had training and "advice" from US.

The article said they were happy to hire these guys because they were willing to work cheaper and had the same skills as US vets.

Now I'm starting to think there might be another reason. Didn't the first wave of paratroopers in Red Dawn speak Spanish?

Sgt Stevo
March 16, 2006, 02:19 PM
take a look at wakenhut security. The steele foundation here the bay area.

They run prisons, area 51 security and God knows what else. There are dozens of contractors in Iraq.

I got a couple of calls. And I broke my back and shoulder over there. I am no longer fit for duty in the Army, but a contractor offered me large coin to sign with him.

Nope. If I die. It will not be for money. My three year old deserves better. Anyway.

private security is the way of the future. It is bad. If a guy with many limitations on him, like me is offered a job. What if they hire a section 8 or any other human malfuntion that passes there background. Did the UN have a hand in that slavery thing in Bosnia? I heard a rumer.

revolvergeek
March 16, 2006, 02:57 PM
Quote:
"If the parish furloughed most of it's officers due to a lack of money, how are they going to pay the higher salary of the DynCorp cops?

You're speaking logic, not money trail.

Money from taxpayers goes to -> appropriations -> hiring DynCorp -> contractors. Kickbacks go from DynCorp -> complicit bureacrats -> lawmaker who caused it to happen.

Follow the money. Always follow the money.
__________________"

Actually, this is a result of FEMA regulations. FEMA regulations forbid FEMA funds from being used to pay LEO salaries. They will pay overtime, but not base pay. They won't pay for the LEOs to work, but they will pay for contractors to come in and replace them. The same thing in the jails. They won't pay salaries for the COs to clean and restore the facilities, but they will pay the bill for an outside firm to come in and restore the facility. This is a prime example of how FEMA is totally out of touch with reality and needs to be dramatically overhauled.

I don't comment on weither Dynacorp should get the contract, just wanted to put things in a different perspective based on our dealings with FEMA. I do not think that this is an attempt to commercialize law enforcement, but rather trying to make the best out of a horrible situation.

Most Sheriff's Offices in Louisiana are funded by either sales tax or court fees, so when everything is flooded under water, pretty much all business stops. St Bernard had to lay people off because they lost basically all of their income after the storm. The ENTIRE parish went underwater, and every single building was flooded. Some parts had over 10 feet over the tops of the roofs of the houses. Entire neighborhoods were utterly destroyed, and many houses were literally floated up off their foundations and into the roads, up against other houses, etc. Some parts look like an atom bomb went off. We drove down 27 miles of highway towards the coast down from Plaquemines parish and not ONE SINGLE building was habitable. This a much different situation than FEMA or anybody else really planned for, regardless of what they say.

yucaipa
March 16, 2006, 04:49 PM
So they can't get a FEMA grant to hire back the rest of their own deputies, which would cost less?

Makes sense to me too. I hate being simple minded.:rolleyes:

Car Knocker
March 16, 2006, 07:32 PM
White Horseradish,

You are correct. As I recall, they were Cuban.

LAK
March 21, 2006, 07:58 AM
revolvergeekActually, this is a result of FEMA regulations. FEMA regulations forbid FEMA funds from being used to pay LEO salaries. They will pay overtime, but not base pay. They won't pay for the LEOs to work, but they will pay for contractors to come in and replace them
Right. Made to order "regulation" to allow corporations to slide in after their political cronies blurt the "we have to do something" - while their media tools beat the propaganda drums with sound and vision tuned into the emotional buttons.

The President of course could change that "regulation" with a pen stroke. Fat chance of that eh? ;)
--------------------------------------------

Maxwell
March 21, 2006, 09:53 AM
Personally, I'd be all for states voting to disband their National Guard units and instead form State Militia or State Guard units

Even if they did that, how many days would pass before someone had a "great idea" to make the new state defense forces just as submissive to the feds as the national guard?
Militia only works when its made up of the people on their own time training with their own dime, hence the 2nd amendment.

I think using private security to replace police is a very bad idea. Lets consider that these guys are going to be needed to do alot more than walk a beat.
In the middle of a storm or riot, do you put your faith in a cop or in a contractor?

Things will only get worse if the s**t hits the fan and half your "police force" dissapears.

tellner
March 21, 2006, 01:02 PM
Maxwell, wouldn't that make armed service the private playground of the wealthy?

If you enjoyed reading about ""Hired guns" for LA law enforcement?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!