One handed malfunction drills, who practices em?

PDA

DeltaElite
April 17, 2003, 05:37 PM
This popped up on the thread where the Houston Officer was murdered and I feel it merits its own thread. RIP Ofc Clark.

Who has recieved training and/or practiced one handed malfunction drills, with both their dominant and non-dominant hand?
Who practices the drills they have learned?

I learned these techniques about a decade ago, my dept finally taught them to officers about three years ago.
They are not really that difficult, they are merely another pattern of motor function to learn if you carry an autoloader.

Of course I carry an off side pocket gun and a third gun on my ankle, but you can never be too prepared for a shoot out.

If you enjoyed reading about "One handed malfunction drills, who practices em?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
April 17, 2003, 05:41 PM
Delta, is your question, "who teaches them?" or "who here at THR knows them or teaches them?":confused:

10-Ring
April 17, 2003, 05:45 PM
Last summer I had tendonitis in my right elbow. I spent some time teaching myself to function using weak (left) side. Now, I routinely save a few mags for some weak side drills just to keep in practice.

DeltaElite
April 17, 2003, 05:46 PM
Well darn El Tejon, I knew what I was saying. :D

I edited my post so it would make sense to others. :D

Carlos Cabeza
April 17, 2003, 05:54 PM
DE,
I always practice shooting right and left, offhand and supported and I can chamber a round using the fixed rear sight and the edge of my belt. Are you talking about FTE or stovepipes, mag changes ? All of the above ? Please describe the malf's you refer to.
PS. I shoot 1911 and clones.

El Tejon
April 17, 2003, 05:56 PM
Sure, I practice them and encourage all to practice them (train, squawk, go to skul, squawk), but like you I carry a bug. I carry bug behind my mags on port side. I'm anti-pocket, like to reach either pistol with either hand, but I'm just that way.:p

DeltaElite
April 17, 2003, 06:16 PM
Any malfunction imaginable CC.
Of course a double feed with one hand can be a bear to clear.

I know I am not making much sense today, but reloads, chambering rounds, clearing malfunctions.
In short anything you can do with two hands, should be practiced with one hand.
I am so confused today. :confused:

Carlos Cabeza
April 17, 2003, 06:34 PM
Delta, Its hard for me to remember all the potential malf's too ! :p
I guess You/I/We don't want to find out about a new one when the chips are down. It helps to have some form of training or experienced person give some tips on clearing them. I fully trust my semi auto to perform when needed but it's hard to focus when under extreme pressure. I'm sure that almost anything could happen under duress including a malf that was induced by the shooter i.e. limp wristing. Thanks for starting a topic that makes one think of skill level and training.:cool:

cool45auto
April 17, 2003, 07:10 PM
I've been practicing one handed shooting, reloading, clearing malfunctions and press checks ever since seeing "Way of the gun". I never realized how important stuff like that could be. Now I know I'll probably never need to use any of it, but it's good to know I can.

pax
April 17, 2003, 08:06 PM
I do.

The skills themselves aren't complicated, but learning to do them safely is quite a feat.

pax

pax, to instructor: "I don't think I can strip the mag one-handed on this little Glock. What should I do about that?"

Instructor, to pax: "You either figure out a way to do it, or you modify your equipment so that you can do it, or you just decide to give up and die if it gets to that point."

El Tejon
April 17, 2003, 08:15 PM
One-handed Type III is one more reason why I eschew the gunragesque/gun shoppe "gun in the pocket" of the bug and demand ambihanded access.

cool, panic ain't nothing but a lack of a plan.:)

DeltaElite
April 17, 2003, 08:27 PM
I have an ambihanded access gun on my ankle in uniform, the pocket gun is just a spare. :D
If I carried a spare gun on each ankle, I would be a freak. :scrutiny:

blades67
April 17, 2003, 08:46 PM
I practice them. I had an Industrial Accident, about ten years ago, that left me with the use of only one hand for almost two years. I got pretty good with them, so I practice in case I need them again.

El Tejon
April 17, 2003, 09:13 PM
Delta, maybe IME, may not get to my shoe gun when in retention, breaking contact, or, the scenario I most envision, running for my life. Possessing a chimpesque build, my hands hang by my waist (O.K., O.K. my knees, and my thumbs can curl up so I can run using my hands:D), so that's where I stash my bug. YBMV.

Navy joe
April 17, 2003, 10:05 PM
I have to some extent, chambering rounds and reloads aren't very hard, clearing feed/extraction failures can be a bear. I have cleared a couple on a non guiderod 1911 by feeding it's front to the nearest doorframe or other handy edge.

I guess the primary plan is to carry a gun that works. I'm not getting shot at, so I often don't carry a BUG. With the Houston deal or something similar at close quarters I think plan B would be to close with and beat the snot out of the attacker with the gun.(Big steel gun.) Don't hug cover with the gun, get a manly purchase on that thing even one handed so it doesn't limpwrist and it probably won't choke on you.

If you enjoyed reading about "One handed malfunction drills, who practices em?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!