Savage 10fp LE1A OR LE2A

PDA

tcrocker
March 14, 2006, 10:33 PM
What is your op on the Savage 10 or 110FP Tacical LE1A and LE2A . which one would be an better bench rifle? And what is the price def?

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 10fp LE1A OR LE2A" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ocabj
March 15, 2006, 01:57 AM
which one would be an better bench rifle?

Neither. Get the 12BVSS. Stainless steel action and barrel. Barrel is a heavy, varmint taper and is fluted. Stock will be a nice laminate with a slightly higher comb for good cheek weld and a flat foreend that is perfect for bench shooting.

The generic synthetic stock on the basic 10FP will flex too much in the foreend and the recoil pad is thin and hard. The Choate stock on the LE2A is too gimicky for my tastes. It has mixed reviews. You will either love it or hate it.

I've owned a couple short action Savages based on the 10 series. I still have a 10FP with a McMillan A-5. I've used various stocks including the McMillan A-5, generic factory stock, the Savage factory laminate, and the Bell & Carlson Duramaxx. None of those compare to the McMillan A-5, but the Savage factory laminate (as seen on the 12/112 BVSS rifles) is far better than the generic synthetic and the B&C Duramaxx.

Kiwi98J
March 15, 2006, 10:18 AM
I have to agree. If you are lookng for a dedicated bench gun, you might want to consider the 12/112 BVSS-S or single shot version. With no magazine cut-out, the receiver is said to be more ridgid. Any of the BV type stocks ride the bags well and can be tuned and fitted to you with a wood rasp, file and sandpaper. Aftermarket adjustable combs & butt plate and forearm rail kits are available to fit the BV. If you are thinking about getting serious down the road and want to shoot scored F-Class matches and such, opt for one of single shot versions from the git-go as they offer greater bedding surface and action regidity.

Savage is offering a new for '06 version called the VLP or Varminter Low Profile, similar to the BVSS-S although the stock is lower with a wider forend. Also, new in '06 is the VLP-P Varminter Low Profile Precision in the VLP stock and right bolt, left port action.

rockstar.esq
March 15, 2006, 12:05 PM
I have a 10FP-LE2 and there are a few significant differences that the others didn't mention. First is that the accu trigger on the LE line goes down to 1.5Lbs as opposed to the 2.5 on all else. Second is that the LE line sports much larger bolt knobs which I personally love. Third, the 2 at the end indicates that the barrel is 2" longer than standard (24") which for the long range minded, adds that much loved velocity. I can't agree enough with the factory stock butt pad being thin and hard. I replaced mine with a limbsaver grind to fit. Please note that the precision fit lineup of Limbsaver pads WILL NOT FIT THIS STOCK. I had to buy their medium grind to fit and drill a new hole because Savage's pattern is unique to them alone.

ocabj
March 15, 2006, 02:49 PM
The 12BVSS and 112BVSS have the same oversized bolt knob as the LE series. The 12/112BVSS also have 26" barrels.

I prefer the Sharp Shooter Supply 'tactical' bolt knob.

And yes, get the single shot version if possible. From what I understand, Savage discontinued the single shot 10/110 series receivers. But if you look around, you might be able to snag one.

jbrodie7
March 15, 2006, 04:29 PM
I have the 10FP-LE1A. Like rockstar said.... the accutrigger goes lighter than the varmint models. But I guess you have to decide whether you want a matte finish in the model 10FP series or stainless finish in the model 12BVSS. Also what caliber you are looking for. The 12BVSS obviously comes in a few other calibers and can be used for hunting if needed. The 10FPs are a pain to try to hunt with (ive tried it before). Also my gun has the 20 inch barrel which tends to have more muzzle blast.

tcrocker
March 15, 2006, 10:29 PM
I plan on getting one in 223 just for target shooting that isn't going to break the bank to shoot. I already have an Rem vsf in 308. It's a good gun but I like shooting my AR15 match grade, so I thought that I would try one in a bolt gun.

ocabj
March 16, 2006, 12:46 AM
So you're looking into a .223? The Savage comes in a 1 in 9 twist. It should shoot 69gr great. 75 and 77 will be iffy. Definitely a YMMV type situation.

The .223 bolt guns are more oriented towards varminting, which is usually bullets under 55 grains. Nothing wrong with the light bullets. Definitely accurate for short range shooting.

tcrocker
March 16, 2006, 09:29 PM
What is YMMV? Iknow the match grade will only shoot the heaver bullets 75+ . if I try to shoot 55's in my ar it's all over the place. It has an 1 in 8 1/5 twist.

adaman04
March 18, 2006, 12:51 AM
My 10FP shoots the light 45 and 55 gr. bullets near the same POI, and I have gotten around 1" groups with surplus ammo. Still wanting to get my hands on some 68 and 69 gr. :D What rifle you choose is up to your liking.

ocabj
March 18, 2006, 01:02 AM
What is YMMV? Iknow the match grade will only shoot the heaver bullets 75+ . if I try to shoot 55's in my ar it's all over the place. It has an 1 in 8 1/5 twist.

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary. I was implying that how heavy you can go in a 1-9" twist varies from rifle to rifle. Some people have been able to shoot 75gr in a 1 in 9" while others haven't.

I'm surprised you can't run 55gr in a 1-8.5". All my 1-7" twist rifles have been able to shoot 55gr (M193). Again, YMMV when it comes to twist rates and bullet weights.

rangerruck
March 18, 2006, 05:01 AM
if you are becnh shooting, the 12 series, will be your cup o tea.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 10fp LE1A OR LE2A" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!